Fred Lives!

DCU has relented: Fred's uniform will say "Fred".

Kevin Payne: "While D.C. United has traditionally used proper last names on the backs of our uniforms, we have agreed to make an exception in Fred's case for two reasons. First, is the long-time tradition of Brazilian players identifying themselves, and being identified by their fans, by a single name. Secondly, we have received substantial feedback from multiple sources that our fans, and others with an interest in D.C. United, want us to follow that Brazilian tradition and allow Fred to become the first 'one name player' in D.C. United history. This will not become a trend at D.C. United, as we still believe the logo on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back."

The club's other Brazilian, Luciano Emilio, has chosen to remain "L. Emilio"

By Steve Goff  |  April 2, 2007; 3:03 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The "New" MLS
Next: Arena Returns

Comments

KP is a God!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: grotus | April 2, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Got so excited I posted too quick. I want to congratulate you, Goff, and everyone out there for having the passion to make Management listen. Nice Work, United Nation!

Posted by: grotus | April 2, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I contest the fact about Fred being the first one named player in United history.

I had several one word 'names' for Stoichkov, Ivanov, Watson, Mapp, Jason Moore, etc.

Posted by: Kim | April 2, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Dang. Ichiro had to get dispensation from MLB to have his first name on his jersey.

Posted by: Phillip Hamilton | April 2, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Glad United was willing to listen to reason. It's not as if Fred was the first Brazilian ever to ask to go by one name. Classy move, and the right one, too.

Posted by: Kenobi | April 2, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This is ridiculous. So Fred thinks he's better than everyone else, is that it? He better score a hat trick tomorrow. /sarcasm

Posted by: RK | April 2, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Call me cashew, but I think KP has come around to listening to internet nuts.

Posted by: David | April 2, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The blog is mightier than the sword.

"United Nation" I like it.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 2, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne is simply the best...

Posted by: Nick | April 2, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I hear that 'Fred' actually means 'He Hate Me' in Portuguese.

Posted by: bribri | April 2, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I would hope anyone who thuoght the name on the back was MORE important than the name on the front would not be on the roster in the first place.

That said, just because it is less important doesn't mean it is unimportant.

Posted by: Matt | April 2, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"United Nation" blows as a title.

The masses have already spoken about that.

Posted by: Kim | April 2, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The correct move by KP, especially considering he admitted to a reporter that Ronaldinho could go one name if we signed him. Give KP credit for reconsidering his decision. Some folks in DC choose to steadfastly stick to their initial incorrect decisions.

Posted by: Paul | April 2, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

If you're in to overused, essentially meaningless phrases that fans of a number of teams in a number of sports have co-opted as 'their own' in a bid to make themselves feel big, bad and important, then it's great.

Otherwise, United Nation is a political body headquartered in NYC.

Posted by: d, dc | April 2, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I prefer "United Colors of Benneton," "The United Way," or (and I just thought of this one "The United Soccer League."

Posted by: Logan Circle | April 2, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Payne told me the whole thing was an April Fools joke gone bad.

Posted by: sitruc | April 2, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"and others with an interest in D.C. United"

Who could that be? Someone wanting to sell "Fred" jerseys all over Brazil? :)

Posted by: Jarrett C. | April 2, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

This whole 'name on the front, name on the back' sounds like just another tired sports cliche, alongside 'nobody comes into our house...'

I don't see why the name a player chooses for his jersey matters at all.

Posted by: mosler | April 2, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

YEEHAW!

Now we just need a chant to go along with his name

Posted by: del | April 2, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

This is not a significant issue. I don't really like that the front office wasted time making an annoucement about how grandly benevolent it is to allow this amazing gift to be bestowed upon Fred.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 2, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"YEEHAW!

Now we just need a chant to go along with his name

Posted by: del | April 2, 2007 05:00 PM"

How about "Yaba-daba-doooo!!!!

Posted by: Winoman | April 2, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Fred lives...well played Steven...

Posted by: Nick | April 2, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

How about "Celery, Frederich" (so it almost rhymes).

Oh wait, it's taken.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 2, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Geez. I didn't realize that so many people (OK, 2) would take umbrage at my liking "United Nation."

For the geopolitically challenged, the organization in NY is plural.

For the rest: you must be Ohio State fans who will soon suffer defeat, for the third time since December, at the jaws of GATOR NATION (whose population includes Heather Mitts and me).

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 2, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The Fred chant should be "Fred's too sexy for [opponent's name]".

Fred's too sexy for Chivas, too sexy for Chivas, Chivas has to leave...

Posted by: noptov52 | April 2, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Chicago has Blanco. Does he fit in their squad? Rumor has it Thiago is the odd man out, and them giving Blanco the #10 would make it more likely.

Posted by: jgildea | April 2, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Chest Rockwell: "This is not a significant issue. I don't really like that the front office wasted time making an annoucement about how grandly benevolent it is..."

I don't think your boss likes that YOU wasted time to comment on this insignificant issue. ;-)

Good call, KP.

Posted by: KR in DC | April 2, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Eu desejo agradecer Kevin Payne para permitir que eu mantenha meu nome. Obrigado ventiladores DC United suportando me e nós trar-lhe-emos para trás a vitória de México. Se eu não mantivesse meu nome eu provavelmente protestaria no jogo fazendo exame fora de todos meus roupa e capoeira dançando.

Posted by: Fred | April 2, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

lol, translating it back from Portuguese to English just didn't sound right in the last line. Babblefish sometimes sucks...

Posted by: MightyMouse | April 2, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to take this opportunity to take full credit for bringing this controversy to it's proper conclusion. Oh, and I had the ideas for Star Wars and everything too.

Also, "United Nation" = LAME. Leave that for those whiners up in Beantown who need a curse to draw fans... just ask the Revs.

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 2, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Good move by the organization. They showed that they are in deed the class of MLS.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 2, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

""Fred's too sexy for Chivas, too sexy for Chivas, just too sexy"

"Fred's too sexy for his shirt, for his shirt, too sexy oh, it hurts"

I'M TOO SEXY
by Right said Fred

I'm too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me
I'm too sexy for my shirt too sexy for my shirt
So sexy it hurts
And I'm too sexy for Milan too sexy for Milan
New York and Japan
And I'm too sexy for your party
Too sexy for your party
No way I'm disco dancing
I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I do my little turn on the catwalk
I'm too sexy for my car too sexy for my car
Too sexy by far
And I'm too sexy for my hat
Too sexy for my hat what do you think about that
I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I shake my little touche on the catwalk
I'm too sexy for my too sexy for my too sexy for my
'Cos I'm a model you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I shake my little touche on the catwalk
I'm too sexy for my cat too sexy for my cat
Poor pussy poor pussy cat
I'm too sexy for my love too sexy for my love
Love's going to leave me
And I'm too sexy for this song

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Ju scare me... maybe I go back to Melbourne!!! Maybe not too late to catch flight back there... bye bye!

Posted by: Fred | April 3, 2007 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I understood all of that except the part about "ventilators." I don't see what they have to do with this.

More from Fred (translated from Portuguese): "Fred would like to thank Kevin Payne from the bottom of Fred's heart for the decision to allow Fred to put Fred on the back of Fred's jersey. Fred has also been advising Josh and Brian and Brian and Bob and others to do the same, because Fred thinks it is the coolest. Fred wants to assure everyone that Fred will not make the name FRED more important than that pointy thing on the front of FRED's jersey. Whataver that's about. Hooray!"

Posted by: Joe S. | April 3, 2007 2:50 AM | Report abuse

We are the United Colors of Badass, that's all you need to know :)

Posted by: Hey | April 3, 2007 5:18 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I apologize, everyone. I didn't know that "United Nation" was such a hot button issue. I guess I should've been more original and used a name that better represents the fanbase. How about "Over Sensitive Self-Important Gringo Co-opters of Other Cultures Soccer Names and Traditions Nation?" Or am I required to call it "futbol" now? Get a life.

Posted by: grotus | April 3, 2007 7:23 AM | Report abuse

DCU is just like everyone else, it's marketing not tradition or the game that drives the FO. Way to sell out on the Fred thing, looks like to inmates are the running DCU now.

Posted by: texa | April 3, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Grotus, considering you were just co-opting a nickname used by the Red Sox "fans" and others, you have absolutely no legs to stand on. I can imagine it must be hard to see that with your cranium firmly lodged in your anal cavity.

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 3, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

My point, if you'd chosen to take it, was that everything is co-opted. Everything. You think we made up "DC United" by some stroke of brilliance? No, sorry. Stolen from England. Barra Brava? Only if you're from South America. All I'm saying is don't rip me for being unoriginal when the entire American soccer culture is a patchwork of heisted names, traditions and songs. All I'm doing is playing along. That being said: Viva Unidos DC!

Posted by: grotus | April 3, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Screamin' Eagles - nickname for the 101st Airborne.

Posted by: I-270 Exit 1 | April 3, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

[quote --

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 2, 2007 09:52 PM [/quote

how so? by refusing to allow a common naming convention in soccer initially and then relenting once people told them how stupid they were acting? Thiago was allowed to go by Thiago the instant he signed with the Fire. I don't think that makes them any more classy just in touch with the soccer world.

Posted by: papa bear | April 3, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse