Gone Fishin'

I like to recharge
my batteries,
and shut down the engines,
and get myself back to neutral.

-- Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughan), "Wedding Crashers"

With D.C. United off this weekend, I am stepping away from the laptop for a few days and not planning to return until Sunday morning, at the earliest. I am off to Cleveland for a very important event. No, silly, not the Washington Wizards' playoff game. I'll be at this fundraiser instead. If you are in the area, please join us.

In the meantime, feel free to use the comments section below to discuss any matters with your fellow Insiders. Thanks to all of you, we've built a nice community here.

Cheers
SG

By Steve Goff  |  April 19, 2007; 2:53 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Drawing It Up for Women's World Cup
Next: Women's World Cup Draw

Comments

While I can already feel the Jones' coming, have a great holiday. Hope the weather finally cooperates. Cheers!

Posted by: DCUinCT | April 19, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you won't be half naked, dressed as a tiger and smothered with chocolate at this fundraiser, will you?

Posted by: James | April 19, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

my world suddenly feels dark and lonely.

Posted by: Rocko | April 19, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Have a nice time off, Steverino...

Posted by: Ron | April 19, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Anything supporting Autism awareness is worth losing the blog for a few days (not that I won't go nuts until you return, Steve...)

Posted by: CY | April 19, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

So I'm supposed to cope until Sunday with only ten sites to check obsessively while you help children? What kind of a world is this?

Anyway, moving on...I see the match-fixing scandal in Italy drags on. Several referees were suspended today for their part in the affair. How odd this was only announced the day after the host for Euro 2012 was chosen.

Posted by: Ash | April 19, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

While in Cleveland...

How about checking on the status of their expansion bid?

Posted by: Chris | April 19, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

i miss "us", steve.

Posted by: ohboyohboy | April 19, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

before you go...ant practice info for this week?

Posted by: james in la | April 19, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

What the heck am I supposed to do all day tomorrow when I should be working?

Posted by: at work | April 19, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Checking this blog space to see the witty comments readers make. :-)

Anybody watch the Columbus-NE match? I know it ain't DCU, but since the Crew are the next opponent, any scouting reports would be welcome to this soccer newbie...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 19, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Minor issue of relevance to DCU -- Columbus will likely be without forward Herron for a long time because of a suspension following a terrible elbow he threw in their game against the Revolution.

Posted by: RB | April 19, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Re: Revs-Crew

Very entertaining match. The Crew came out with a lot of energy, with Hejduk moving up the right unchecked. After the Revs went ahead, the Crew looked less dangerous until the end of the match, when they began pushing up more aggressively. It paid off when Hejduk was left all alone on the wing. His cross should have been cut off by Riley, but it rolled through to Kamara for the equalizer.

Herron's foul was vicious and he deserves a multi-week suspension.

Posted by: Ash | April 20, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Tommy-boy was actually pretty good.

Posted by: Dave | April 20, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse

I'd say DC picks up their first win of the campaign next week. The crew weren't very menacing last night on the attack. And their flank play, with the exception of the Hejduk assist, wasn't stellar. I'm sure they'll come trying to play more to the flanks against us, but they don't seem to have the horses to work the flanks properly.

Posted by: Matt | April 20, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Herron's foul was vicious and should result in a multiple-game suspension IF it had been directed at almost any other player in the league. Given that, as it was, it was delivered to Heaps, Herron should be given a 1-game suspension, a wink and a slap on the back.

Posted by: soccer nerd | April 20, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but I think that Stone, Wynalda, and Smith worked very well together. Their comments were, for the most part, relevant to the game and the players. Smith's style brought a greater sense of excitement to the broadcast. That's necessary to bring in new viewers. And it's not likely to cost them old viewers. What are you going to do, watch hockey?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 20, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The broadcast group was okay... eventually, the play-by-play person needs to be more experienced with soccer and have better insight/judgement on what's going on. It's weird to hear some person talking a lot and then have to wait 10 seconds to get commentary. I've just been watching a fair amount of EPL on FSC and they tend to have really good play-by-play/commentary.

Posted by: RB | April 20, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone make it to the Zidane film last night. I showed up late, and was told that the showing was full. They had already added a second show at 10pm because of the interest, and those passes were already gone too.

Posted by: elf | April 20, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I guess the commentary was okay, but I think the booth is too crowded and there was too much talking. There's no need to tell us where every player went to college every time they touch the ball (Stone). No matter what, anything's better than DOB.

Posted by: CY | April 20, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess the commentary was okay, but I think the booth is too crowded and there was too much talking. It seems like the three of them were fighting over time to speak. In soccer, there should be some silence during the telecast, or simple mention of names when the ball is being knocked around. There's no need to tell us where every player went to college every time they touch the ball (Stone). No matter what, anything's better than DOB.

Posted by: CY | April 20, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I also thought Tommy Smyth's comment after the Herron's foul was interesting. He basically said that fouls like that happen all the time and are not caught by cameras, so the one caught by ESPN's camera should not be punished (in game) because it isn't fair to those that are affected by all the fould not seen. Wynalda responded by saying, "but our cameras did catch it, so another official should see that and do something about it in-game." Maybe not a direct quote, but something to that effect. Wynalda was saying that Herron should be removed from that game even though the officials missed the foul. I think it shows the contrast between American sports and the rest of the world. With basketball and football Americans are really jumping on the replay bandwagon, but Smyth's view shows that Europeans accept the fact that uncalled fouls happen all the time in soccer and other sports in general.

Posted by: CY | April 20, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I showed up for the Zidane thing but was just too late to get in. It was such a huge line..

Posted by: Garret | April 20, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Through the magic of the interweb, I present to you, the Herron foul:

Posted by: edgeonyou | April 20, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Who amongst us wouldn't pay $100 to lay that elbow on Heaps ourselves? That being said, it's got to be at least 2 games. Whether a player has it coming or not, you can't be allowing that stuff during the game without some sort of punishment.

It seems counterintuitive to say this, but - have fun in Cleveland! :-)

Posted by: Lonnie | April 21, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It seems counterintuitive to say this, but - have fun in Cleveland! :-)

Posted by: Lonnie | April 21, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I...feel....so....very....alone.

I'm having a bit of United info withdrawal.

Glad you're getting a break, tho, Senor Goff.

Posted by: Beaker | April 21, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I think it will be more than a two game suspension for Herron. He actually looked at Heap and lined him up before throwing the bow, no way he can even claim it was accidental. I think 4-6 games is more appropriate.

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | April 21, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Can MLS suspend both Herron and Heaps?
:-)

Posted by: Win-Win | April 21, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

If you watch the replay of the Herron foul carefully, you'll see that he flinches just before he throws the elbow. My take: Heaps elbows Herron in the back, and Herron retaliates with a bad elbow to the face.

Overall, I'm happy with the outcome. Heaps takes a shot in the mug and makes his oh face, and Herron sits out more than one match.

Posted by: MattM | April 22, 2007 2:10 AM | Report abuse

The business section of the Sunday New York Times has a lengthy piece on Philip Anschutz (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/business/yourmoney/22phil.html).

Posted by: Go Penn State! | April 22, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I hope you had better luck than I did fishin'. Looking forward to firing up the Barra Bus to Columbus saturday.

Posted by: Chico | April 23, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse