Messi Is, Um, Pretty Good

You'll want to listen to the commentary too.

If that doesn't work, try this:

Read about the match here. And a little bonus video...

By Steve Goff  |  April 19, 2007; 9:47 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Case You Missed It.....
Next: Remembering the Hokies

Comments

More examples of Erpen letting in goals.

Posted by: Kim | April 19, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Definition of skinned

Posted by: Masked Norteno | April 19, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Now he would be worth using a DP on :)

Can't Gomez or Erpen talk to him and tell him how much better DC would be than Madrid? ;)

-dave

(Hey, you've got to have one unrealistic dream right?)

Posted by: gnat | April 19, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Madrid?

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Maradona, 46, is currently hospitalized with a bout of hepatitis blamed on alcohol abuse. It the eighth time he has been in hospital since he retired in 1997."

Here's hoping Messi does better with the rest of his life.

Oh, and that will be Freddy in 2 years. ;)

Posted by: DCUinCT | April 19, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately I cannot view the goal since my company blocks streaming video. Anyways, I heard that Messi's goal was very Maradonaesqe. At only 19, I can only imagine Messi's legacy will be in the world of football. I wish the US one day can produce a player of his caliber.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 19, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Maradona's goal in 86 was still better. You just can't compare the quality of the oposition, Getafe or the English National Team?

Posted by: Vic | April 19, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MattM | April 19, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Getafe hands down. At least they play a style of football that's only 20 years old.

Posted by: DCAustinite | April 19, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Quoting DC United Fan: "I wish the US one day can produce a player of his caliber."

Jeez! Haven't you been listening to MLS? We already have the next coming of Maradona and Pele. His name is Freddy Adu!

Posted by: DCUinCT | April 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

where do you get all the great arabic clips from? the commentary is incomprehensible, and awesome. Khallas!

Posted by: grotus | April 19, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I like those addidas commercials, however it is unfortunate that it makes Agent Zero's less unique. I've seen similar ads now from Messi, Altidore, Some female runner (sorry can't remember her name), and of course, Gilbert. I still have my old Fiorentina Impossible is Nothing t-shirt, which is unfortunately fading.

Posted by: tmc | April 19, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

DCUinCT,

Oh man, come on. Freddy is a great player but he is no Messi.

Posted by: koolcaio | April 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

don't compare Adu to Maradona or Pele either buddy!!!

Posted by: koolcaio | April 19, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Steve: Anymore of these clips with Arabic commentary and Homeland Security will accuse you of sending covert messages :-)

Bienvenidos a Guantanamo is not a phrase you want to hear.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 19, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

:-)
Clearly, I'm a subversive.

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

To do that in a Spanish league game near the end of the season is actually more impressive to me than to do it against a second-rate England team in the World Cup. They have much more experience as a team. Also, Messidona didn't just punch the ball in with the "Hand of God" so as to cheapen the impressive goal like his countryman.

Posted by: greg | April 19, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Spanish cup game. I mistyped.

Posted by: greg | April 19, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think some of the sarcasm in the Adu-Pele/Maradonna comparisons are lost on some who post here.

It seemed, at first, that those of us frequenting this blog were mainly from BigSoccer. Now that this blog has a wide audience (16 year old soccer fans in Des Moines for example), a lot of the inside jokes and snarkiness that abound on BS will most likely be misinterpreted.

That being said, I have nothing against 16 year olds or people from Des Moines.

Posted by: the cheat | April 19, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Did you notice the cynical comment by Getafe's manager? "We should have fouled him."

Posted by: Paul | April 19, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

One justification for America's generally poor soccer announcers is that we don't have that much experience with the game and things will improve in time. I don't have any knowledge of Arabic, but these announcers seem to do just fine even if soccer has come to prominence in the Middle East only recently. Just a thought.

Posted by: Diego R. | April 19, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Looked to me like Getafe *TRIED* to foul him...but you cannot foul what you cannot touch.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 19, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

My, those lawyers move fast.

Posted by: First link broken | April 19, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Just in comparing the competition - while of course Getafe is no England, they do have the stingiest defense in La Liga, having allowed only 23 goals in 30 matches in league play this year.

Posted by: nh | April 19, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff, the youtube link has been pulled due to a copyright claim. Bummer. Heard it was a thing of beauty.

Posted by: JMR | April 19, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you BS guys should take your snarkiness back to BS

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Video is still working for me. Anyone else having trouble?

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

the 1st video won't play for me

Posted by: Andrew | April 19, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

you can also try this link (with music instead of commentary):

Posted by: Goff | April 19, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

The youtube video that compared the Messi and the Maradona runs side-by-side was pretty eerie... virtually identical runs.

Unfortunately "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Audiovisual Sport".

Posted by: MelH | April 19, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Goff...I recommend leaving the sound muted on the linked video : )

Posted by: Andrew | April 19, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

That was just a joke about Adu. Not that he can't become a good player, but he's clearly no Messi (despite the goal against RSL last year).

Posted by: koolcaio | April 19, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"That commentary just reinforces why I love this game. I don't understand a word of Arabic but the passion and excitement come through loud and clear.

Posted by: Matt"

Ha! I watched the 2nd youtube clip cuz the first one wouldn't work for me.

It features some Spanish singer who would have been kicked out of ABBA for being too sappy. His song is so bad it must be a plot to kill soccer before it becomes too popular!

Oliver, Benji...
Na, na, na, na, na, na!
Benji! Oliver!
Na, na, na, na, na na...

Awesome run by Messi who is still about 2 years older than Freddy.

Posted by: garbaggio | April 19, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JMR | April 19, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe you BS guys should take your snarkiness back to BS"

No thanks.

Carry on.

Posted by: the cheat | April 19, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you gotta show the second video to SteinBog and give him a translation of the song. Maybe he can con some WizzNutt to do a similar one about Gilbert Arenas... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 19, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe you BS guys should take your snarkiness back to BS

Posted by: | April 19, 2007 12:32 PM

Maybe you should sign your name? If the BS people didn't come to this blog, there would be about an 80% drop off in reading and posting. So, why don't you go an buy another Freddy poster. Aren't you late for school?

Posted by: What's My Name | April 20, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Take a look at how slow the England defenders are for the Maradonna goal. Defenders back then were not nearly the athletes they are today. And as was already mentioned, Getafe is quite good at defending (most players). And for added dificulty points, Messi scored with his off foot. Also notice how the other Barca players are holding their heads in disbelief. It's not easy to impress guys who watch Ronaldinho everyday in practice.

Posted by: ElDuderino | April 23, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse