Remembering the Hokies

Many of you have asked whether D.C. United is going to do anything in memory of the Virginia Tech victims. (By the way, the Nats donning VT hats the other night at RFK was pure class.) The answer is yes. From what I am hearing, DCU is finalizing plans for a tribute at its next match, April 28 at Columbus -- not sure what they will do, but I suppose a special uniform, a patch or an armband is possible. They will also probably start a fundraising effort of some sort. Houston has already announced its plans. We should hear more from DCU early next week.

By Steve Goff  |  April 19, 2007; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Messi Is, Um, Pretty Good
Next: Drawing It Up for Women's World Cup

Comments

I am very pleased to hear that DCU is going to show such class in doing something for VA Tech. As a VA college student (Christopher Newport University), I know that every college student in VA and elsewhere has been affected someway or another by this terrible tragedy. Thank you DC United (and the Nats) for letting people know you care.

RIP Daniel Perez (a former student from the same high school that David Stokes graduated from)and all the other students and teachers who lost their lives.

neVer forgeT.. thoughts and prayers..

Posted by: Kenny | April 19, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

good to know. thanks for the continued great info SG.

you know on the VT message boards, we often refer to sean glennon or seth greenberg as SG. so, IMHO, you're in good company :)

Posted by: hokie soccer fan | April 19, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info. I was hoping they'd do something.

Posted by: Hacksaw | April 19, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

can't wait to find out what it is

Posted by: RomanVT | April 19, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be a great idea if it were a special uniform. Then they could auction the jerseys off on the MLS site after the game with proceeds going to the Spirit Memorial Fund. Same thing with the special uniform that Houston is going to wear.

Posted by: thrh | April 19, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone on here. It so nice to see DC United and other professional teams showing support to VA Tech. As a student at JMU, it a lot of people really hard here and at all the other schools in VA.

Posted by: Kristina | April 19, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Let me say as an alumni of Virginia Tech how much I, and all of us, appreciate everything that the greater community is doing. I've spoken to many of my Tech friends in the past few days, and there is a universal feeling of sadness for the families, as well as sense that something great from our own past has been forever damaged. Through the efforts and actions of all those coming to our aid, however, I believe that one day this wound will heal, and hopefully bring us all closer together. Many, many thanks to all of you out there who hold the Tech community in your hearts.

Grotus