Some DCU Notes

*Josh Gros did some running and stretching today and said he has not had any more problems since suffering a concussion in the Chivas match last week.

"I feel pretty good. The headaches have gone away," he said. "When I got hit, my vision got blurry and I got a bad headache. I had less and less vision as the game went on. I wasn't doing anyone any good so I took myself out."

Gros said he expects to be cleared to play Saturday. I asked Tom Soehn if he thought Gros would be ready to face Kansas City. "Yup," he quipped.

Gros couldn't help but think about what Alecko Eskandarian went through after suffering a concussion almost two years ago and missing considerable time.

"Yeah, definitely. If you break a bone, you know it's broken. A concussion is something different. Alecko has gone through a lot, so you have to be careful. I haven't talked to him yet, but I might give him a call."

*Here's what Dave Kasper had to say about Nicholas [corrected -- sg] Addlery, the Jamaican forward who will be on trial all week:

"Opportunity knocked [after Addlery's deal with Virginia Beach collapsed when the club folded] and we felt like we need to take a look at him. He's an athletic striker and while we have a fair number of options at that position to consider, we felt it was prudent to see what he could offer."

Addlery, 25, has a green card and would NOT count as a senior international. He would, however, have to take a senior roster spot, which means the club would have to drop someone to developmental status, make a trade or waive someone.

*Jaime Moreno said that, yes indeed, he has been approached about playing for Bolivia in Copa America this summer. He said things have not been finalized, but that he might first play in a friendly vs. Ireland next month at Foxborough.

The thought of playing for the national team after a long layoff "has me dreaming again," he said.

If Moreno is chosen for Bolivia's Copa roster, he would miss at least three MLS matches.

*Be sure to check out Dan Steinberg's Sports Bog today for United-oriented items.

On a side note, this is our 200th post on the Insider since the launch a few months ago. We have received more than 5,300 comments. Thanks to all of you for making it a great success and a destination for American soccer fans. We hope to get bigger and better as the year progresses.

SG

By Steve Goff  |  April 10, 2007; 3:48 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bradley to Europe
Next: Ouch!

Comments

Steve, once more, thanks for all you do.

Not your fault, but when you spend time here, you're doing your job.

When I spend time here, I'm not...

Posted by: seahawkdad | April 10, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else seeing the hammering Man U is giving to Roma....

Posted by: Dave from Fred | April 10, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff:

Love yer blog. Congrats on the milestone.

Hopefully this means soon-to-be-former O's bear writer Jorge Arangure's nominating you for his position in today's chat session was all a buncha hooey, right? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | April 10, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

beaT writer... sorry...

Posted by: Juan-John | April 10, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

200th post! 5300 responses! Giants of the Soccer Media landscape we are...dismantle Kansas City on Saturday we will...

Posted by: Yoda | April 10, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"Hopefully this means soon-to-be-former O's beat writer Jorge Arangure's nominating you for his position in today's chat session was all a buncha hooey, right?"

Jorge will pay for such a hideous suggestion!!

Posted by: Goff | April 10, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Bigsoccer has nothing on the Soccer insider.

Roma is horrible.

Posted by: Rocko | April 10, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I'm "watching" the ManU game online, but decided not to post anything in case anyone is taping it.

Posted by: RK | April 10, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

5.300 comments, mostly in the off season. I hope the WP.com servers can handle the blog in the months to come.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 10, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear Gros should be able to play against KC on Sat. He was sorely missed against Colorado.

Posted by: DCUfrvr | April 10, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Huh? How do we have 18 senior roster players?

G: Perkins, Nolly (2)
D: Namoff, Erpen, Boswell, Wilson (4)
M: Simms, Olsen, Casal, Gros, Gomez, Fred, Carroll, Dyachenko (8)
F: Emilio, Moreno, Walker (3)

That's 17. Who else am I missing? Was MvTavish promoted or something?

Posted by: Jason | April 10, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Will be good seeing Jaime wearing the Bolivian jersey once again.

Posted by: BarraBrava | April 10, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

And just so I understand the developmental roster:

G: Crowe (1)
D:
M: DeRoux, Carroll, Moose, Arguez (4)
F: North, Kpene, Willis, Burch (4)

So 9 spots there.

The real question is why we haven't tried to acquire a couple of GA or senior roster defenders. We have decent trade bait, plus draft picks and allocations to barter with.

Posted by: Jason | April 10, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, that should be McTavish under the developmental roster as our lone defender there.

Posted by: Jason | April 10, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't recall ever seeing such a lopsided score in a Champions League game. Roma looks so awful, even the Red Bull might be able to beat them. Good for Man U!!! I hope they win the whole thing.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 10, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

McTavish is listed as Sr Roster on MLSNet - not that it means it is right.

Posted by: JH6 | April 10, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

But you're the SportsBog's sworn enemy. Why provide a link ;)

Congrats on the numbers. Especially considering you didn't pull any lame stunts (unless you made up that press release earlier) like the Redskins Insider does.....

Posted by: Kim | April 10, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the spoiler warning Dave from Fred...some of us are Tivoing

Posted by: CY | April 10, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

7-1 is embarrassing at that level of play. Any level of play for that matter.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

as a huge as roma fan, i am utterly embarassed. i cant even make excuses like the refs were on ManU's side. roma's back line looked horrible. and the keeper doni looked like he'd never played a professional match before.

roma are either brilliant or terrible. last week against manU they were brilliant. this week...

well, there is always next year.

Posted by: moses | April 10, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Thanks to you. Its great to get real news and insight so often. Keep up the good work.

Peace!

Posted by: Dan | April 10, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Steve. You're doing a great job keeping people informed.

Man U put on quite a clinic today.

Posted by: Mitch | April 10, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the updates! So how many comments/ posts during the season?

Posted by: m | April 10, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Steven,
You are a man among boys...you told us weeks ago about Barros Schelloto. Thanks for your continued hard work and efforts, they are definitely paying off for us information-starved DCU and MLS fans...

Posted by: Nick | April 10, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the kind words...

Yes, I chuckled when I saw the AP stories out of Argentina reporting the Columbus signing. Insider Nation knew about this weeks ago.

Posted by: Goff | April 10, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Goff, love the Soccer Insider! Keep up the great work! Where does the Soccer Insider rank among the other washington post blogs?

Posted by: Keenan | April 10, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen the exact numbers, but I think we're doing very well. I'll share em as soon as they pass em along. Meantime, our future rests on your interest, comments and feedback to editors.

Posted by: Goff | April 10, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Hooray Goffer!

Posted by: Diego R. | April 10, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

We're way better than the NFL Insider, I can assure you of that. I like that one too, but it's not got the atmosphere of this one.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 10, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Ask the silly editors (perhaps direct us to the correct one?) why they don't even list Soccer Insider on the front page of the web site anymore??

Also: Will you be putting out a press release to remind people to refer to it as Soccer Insider, and not THE Soccer Insider?

Posted by: JkR | April 10, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

washingtonpost.com runs the web site design. we are separate organizations in different buildings (and different cities -- dc and arlington).

LOL about THE soccer insider!

Posted by: Goff | April 10, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I would like you better if you could give us good weather for at least one DC home game :-)

forecast Saturday PM - RAIN

Do we need to sacrifice a live chicken or Wizard or something?

Posted by: Southeasterner | April 11, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Just to give everyone a heads up, there is an excellent interview on ESPN.com where one of their soccer bloggers interviews Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals. I had no idea he was star soccer player in high school. He is a huge fan of Arsenal, and good friends with Thierry Henry. Can you imagine Chad Johnson as the USMNT point man up top. That is why the USSF needs to do a better job of focusing in on players who may play multiply sports in high school and convince them to continue developing their skills in soccer. That way, players like Chad Johnson can flourish as soccer player rather then a football player.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 11, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: Goff | April 11, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Addlery? Nicholas Addlery?

Posted by: Color me confused! | April 11, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"Multiply sports" -- is that a jab at those of us who were good at math (instead of sports) in high school?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

My bad...Nicholas Addlery

Posted by: Goff | April 11, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I like DC United's comments about other sports abilities. I always thought that former Cowboy RB Emmitt Smith would have been a great striker becase of his quickness, strength and balance.

Posted by: Alan | April 11, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I meant to say "multiple" instead of multiply. I wish they had spell check for blogs. Anyways, there are way too many high school althelets who do excel at soccer only to focus on football or basketball instead b/c of the large payday and their popularity in American culture. This needs to be fixed, and the USSF should step to try and recognize those players, and help them realize that much more upside and potential in soccer then other sports. I guess that is what the main problem is in the US compared to South America and Europe. There are so many different sports competing for the best athletes in the US.

Posted by: DC United Fan | April 11, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Jaime is going to have the feet to run at defenders like he used to for the Bolivian Squad. He has slowed alot, and he's still lazy.

Doesn't hurt to give him a try though, especially after that awsome goal against Chivas.

Posted by: 1MADDOG | April 11, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

...although Argentina's soccer prowess hasn't seemed to have stopped them from producing a first-class basketball team. We have 300 million people. That football and basketball are more popular than soccer is no excuse for failure to provide a great team. Soccer is way more popular than track or swimming, yet we produce champions in those sports. Don't get me wrong; I love MLS and our MNT (and WNT for that matter) but the 50 million or so Americans who love soccer are plenty to produce a top-notch team. Personally, I blame Gulati, mostly just because I enjoy blaming him for everything. On that note, how did he get to be the grand poo-bah of USSF? Why are there no checks on his power?

Posted by: Troy | April 11, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Soehn "quipped" "yup"? Or did he just "say" "yup"? What is the difference?

Posted by: Quosk | April 11, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Track and Swimming are individual sports... apples to oranges.

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 11, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Also, we have a much longer tradition of competing in and funding the Olympic sports as a country than we do in Soccer. The country's who are perennial favorites to win the World Cup and other major World tournaments every year have a long and storied history. We are newborns, relatively speaking. And I think it's going to take another generation (about 20 years) of sustained growth of the sport in this country before we can become world power in the sport.

Our biggest immediate problem is a lack of competent strikers. I don't feel confident with any of them -- not Eddie Johnson, not Brian Ching, not Taylor Twellman, not Kenny Cooper -- to give us a consistent threat up front in international games. Our goalkeeping is pretty sound. Our back line is pretty decent. Our midfield has some young, promising players in Convey, Dempsey, Donovan and possibly Freddy Adu (in the next 2-3 years). But who is going to give us the finishing touch? We need to find someone.

Posted by: Kevin | April 11, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Nationalize and Cap Luciano NOW :-)

Posted by: AlecW81 | April 11, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

that was kind of my point; USSF needs to push for player development, but the higher popularity of football and basketball shouldn't be an excuse. Again, Argentina is as obsessive a soccer nation as there is in the world, but they still managed a gold medal in basketball. France is a great rugby nation even though soccer is number one.

Posted by: Troy | April 12, 2007 4:16 AM | Report abuse

Addlery will be a great addition to D.C. United. His pace and ability to find the net is incredible. Give him some chances and minutes on the field and it will be time before the coaching staff has a hard time trying to figure out what to do with him because he will surely need to be on the field.

Posted by: Vulcan | April 25, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse