The Roster vs. Chivas

According to club officials, the following United players were sent home from Guadalajara: Crowe, Arguez, Casal, Kpene, North, Dyachenko, J. Carroll and Willis.

Which means the 18-man roster for Tuesday's match is:
GKs: Perkins, Nolly
Ds: Namoff, Erpen, Boswell, McTavish, Wilson
MFs: Fred, Olsen, B. Carroll, Gomez, Gros, Simms, Moose, deRoux
Fs: Moreno, Emilio, Walker

Barring injury, this group seems certain to travel to Denver for the MLS opener this weekend. It's possible a player or two will rejoin them there for possible selection.

By Steve Goff  |  April 2, 2007; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time of the Season
Next: The "New" MLS

Comments

Is Dyachenko still dinged? If not, he seems to have fallen down the food chain in terms of DCU bench options.

Posted by: Eric Z | April 2, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Dyachenko's injury is not serious, but he has not trained at full strength for very long.

Posted by: Goff | April 2, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I have had the same concern about Dyachenko, but then forgot that he has been hurt as of late...

I still have a question - what is his role going to be in the next year or two? They obviously wanted him enough to give away the top draft pick for next year. Seems like Fred will be stepping in to play withdrawn forward (in place of Jaime) or maybe even A-mid (in place of Christian) at times. Moose seems to be backing up Christian as well. Rod doesnt have enough pace to play the wing, and he's not a defender.

Will we see Dyachenko playing more of the central/two way mid role that Olsen plays? He was played in more offensive roles last year, and I wonder if that will change with the addition of new players and emergence of previous reserves.

Posted by: the cheat | April 2, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Rod is always an option as a tall Forward

Posted by: TCompton | April 2, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

OK, so some of this comes from the fact that I follow DC United more closely than other MLS teams, but I look at the players we sent home and I think, "wow, 1-26 we must have the deepest team in the league".

Steve, what are the coaches and FO guys saying about this roster? Do you get a sense from them that they feel like they've got something special in the amount of talent from the 12th guy on down?

Posted by: soccer nerd | April 2, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Our shallowness in defense FAR outweighs our depth in offense. I'd like to agree, but I just can't when John Wilson is our only true defender on the bench.

Posted by: Chris | April 2, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Chris,

I too am worried about defense.

But I'll say this - McTavish may end up being a decent D player.

Posted by: the cheat | April 2, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff, wondering if you saw my April fools prank on Bigsoccer.com about Emilio getting a concussion from banging heads with Bobby Boswell. What did you think? hee hee...

Posted by: MightyMouse | April 2, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm sort of suprised they sent Casal home. Is it that they just didn't want his first game for United to be this one? Its understandable there is a lot of pressure on United and then again most don't really expect them to win. Either way I guess its not the best game to start your professional career.

Posted by: degerron | April 2, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm concerned too about the lack of depth on defense. When they let Prideaux go I thought for sure that meant they had a plan to replace him, but I don't see it. I'm also not sure that Erpen is the right guy back there. He just does not seem steady.

Steve, do they have more moves brewing, or is this it?

Posted by: regular fan | April 2, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

As far as I know, nothing brewing, but things could change at any time.

Posted by: Goff | April 2, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Losing Needham after spending the pick on him hurt the depth as well.

Posted by: Re: Defensive depth | April 2, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Any official word on Bravo's card?

Any word at all on the keeper's actions after the match?

I would think that CONCACAF's silence on the keeper's post-match hostilities against Ben would speak volumes. What a bush-league! Not that I expect much after there were no sanctions against the Mexican national team keeper after his missed swat at Eddie Johnson in Feb.

GO DC!

Posted by: delant | April 2, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I too, am surprised about Casal. I would have expected his years at Fulham would have polished him up for this---particularly when DeRoux is there. Maybe the program at Prince George's Community College could take Fulham!

Posted by: de | April 2, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Bravo is officially out.

Posted by: Goff | April 2, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Re - "Losing Needham after spending the pick on him hurt the depth as well."

At a 3rd round pick, not much of a gamble considering that I had him has the best central defender (after Bakary).

Can't blame the young man for taking the $$$. Can't blame DCU for not offering more than dev money without the young man proving that he can break the 1st team.

Posted by: JSF | April 3, 2007 6:02 AM | Report abuse