Thoughts on Zidane Film

I saw it last month in Dallas, but was wondering if any of you wanted to share your thoughts about the Zidane film Thursday night at the Hirshhorn in Washington. I heard there was a very large turnout. Your observations are welcomed here.

By Steve Goff  |  April 22, 2007; 9:09 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Women's World Cup Draw
Next: Bison Decision Near

Comments

Although I thought the perspectives of him with the ball at his feet are spectacular, I think I figured out about half way through the film that I was really more interested in seeing the match.

Posted by: Markus | April 22, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Borrrrrrrring.... Sad but true.

Posted by: Susanna | April 22, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Markus. After a few minutes, I really just wanted to turn the commentary off and watch the match.

Posted by: gomez4prez | April 22, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

before the movie, the hirshhorn staff/volunteers handed out a couple sheets of paper about the movie, which clearly stated the final score of the game. someone needs to brief them on spoiling results!!

Posted by: pat | April 22, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

The movie was not about the result. It was not "Watch Real Madrid on the big screen." It was pondering celebrity and marketing and society through the prism of Zizou.

There were a few walkouts, Steve, but not many. Huge turnout. They were talking about doing a second screening for those that were turned away.

Yes, the film dragged in spots and if all you wanted was to watch a soccer match or marvel at Zizou, you were probably bored out of your mind.

It is probably the closest I'll get in a long time to merging by soccer-loving and artistic sides.

Posted by: Josh | April 22, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

josh - obviously i was joking about not wanting to know the result of a match from two years ago.

Posted by: pat | April 22, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Zidane versus Cbus-NE, is there any question? I'll wait until Zidane is on cable.

Posted by: JSF | April 23, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Turnout was great. Seemed like they were turning people away before opening the doors, because the very end of the line actually shortened up during the last few minutes of waiting. Or maybe I was imagining this?

There were a few empty seats in the theater, but not many. A few walkouts, probably people who hadn't read descriptions of the movie beforehand. A few chants of Allez les Bleus as the movie started, and the typical chatter from teenage boys during the movie, but otherwise the audience was reserved.

Zidane didn't seem to be very involved in this particular game, apart from a few excellent runs and the assist on the first goal. I wish he had spent more time on or near the ball. Tired legs, maybe? I wonder how the film would have looked if it was shot during his heyday at Juventus? He may have been more involved in the end-to-end action when he was younger.

Ideally, I'd like to see a similar movie about Roy Keane in his prime, or Steven Gerrard today. A box-to-box midfielder would make for excellent viewing. Someone who plays with a lot of energy and who defends as well as attacks. Zidane didn't have to defend much, which made parts of the film pretty slow. Maybe that was part of the point?

Posted by: SSMD | April 23, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Okay, there was a second screening for the folks at the end of the line. Missed that the first time around.

Posted by: SSMD Part 2 | April 23, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I just finished watching the film: it explored the game at a depth never seen before. There was such an appreciation for Zidane's full range of emotions and personalities: from cool to lukewarm to red hot, his genius was examined through outstanding camerawork and priceless expression. I loved it, even though it would be more appropriate to watch it with an espresso instead of a box of popcorn. Snooty and artsy, but impressively sensitive nonetheless.

Posted by: Ludwig | April 23, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse