Two More Teams

Two more cities/regions have been identified for inclusion in a proposed eight-team women's league, which would replace the defunct WUSA: Boston and New York/N.J.

They join Washington, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Dallas and Chicago, leaving one spot to be filled. The league is hoping to launch next year.

For more information, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  April 18, 2007; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bradley-Nowak Euro Adventure
Next: In Case You Missed It.....

Comments

i'm surprised that atlanta hasn't been mentioned. they did very well in the old league.

Posted by: jerad | April 18, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

It's all about investors stepping forward. If no Atlanta money is there, no team.
Still one site to be determined.

Posted by: Goff | April 18, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

This league is going to be unpopular and will fold unless the women are willing to work for peanuts.

Posted by: Paul | April 18, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

They women are willing to work for peanuts. They proved that in the WUSA. They may have to take part-time jobs.

By 2008, four of the teams should be able to play in the MLS stadiums, which would save $. If they get shirt sponsors and are aired on Discovery or Lifetime, then they could make it.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | April 18, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

They would be well advised to team up extensively with the MLS for doubleheaders and promotions. Marketing costs can be ruinous and this way both leagues could benefit from the pretty factor of Heather Mitts and David Beckham.

Posted by: noptov52 | April 18, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

good luck to everyone involved, but i'm not optimistic. the brief moment of relative popularity the women's game enjoyed in this country was largely due to the fact that brandi took her shirt off. i'm not saying that's acceptable or anything, but that's just how it is.

since they're competing for the same small (but growing) market, i doubt the league will survive without clinging to the mls, as suggested by noptov... but can the mls afford the carry a financially failing women's league on its back? they still have issues of their own.

the women's league will fold by 2010. sorry.

Posted by: longfellow | April 18, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll pull for the women's league. I think they were pretty arrogant the first time around, though--they thought they were bigger than the MLS.

Posted by: jj | April 18, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they should seriously consider Sepp Blatter's suggestion of sexier uniforms? I'm thinking sleeveless, one-piece Lycra jumpsuits.

Posted by: Paul | April 18, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

The popularity of the '99 WWC obviously had nothing to do with Brandi's shirt, since that happened at the very end. I was at the opener against Denmark at Giants Stadium with nearly 80,000 people.

The key to that success was that it was incredibly well-marketed. They created stars out of American players that no one had ever heard of. I don't know if the new league can do the same, but if they can hold costs down this time around, I think they'll at least get a few years to try.

Posted by: Ash | April 19, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

A pro women's league would be awesome for soccer fans who appreciate quality play and games with talented athletes. The problem is that here, and other countries, is that male soccer fans dismiss female soccer as second or third rate. EPL play is always goint to be better than a female pro league due to the physical advantage of male genetics, but USF teams would find it hard to compete with the best of women soccer leagues on quality of play. I think the old league beat the USF in quality any day. A pro women's league is always a measure of how far society has come. I would love for a new pro women's league to thrive, and if they play double headers with MLS teams as suggested, and MLS generates interest with Beckham, Blanco, Zidane, Scheletto, and others, there is a chance they could last until 2020. Odds are less than 50-50. Go Freedom. :-)

Posted by: T. Henry | April 19, 2007 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I think the women's league will work if presented as doubleheaders before MLS matches. I'm not sure about stand-alone matches.

WUSA at 5, MLS at 730 on Saturdays.

Helps MLS pad their attendance, helps women's soccer get in front of more eyeballs.

Posted by: Banjar | April 19, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Los Angeles is starting to look like a West Coast island in this league.

Posted by: Kim | April 19, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I read somewhere, not sure exactly where, that doubleheaders are basically a no-go except for a few special events. I believe that doubleheaders result in reduced revenue for both leagues and that it's difficult to determine how to divide revenue. I can't remember who was saying this but it seems like it was a Person Who Would Know.

Posted by: Ash | April 19, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'll take my daughter to see them play. I for one want my daughter to feel empowered and to have as many opportunities as my son. Towards that end, I'll support the Freedom the same as I support United. The women's game is a different game than the men's game. Not inferior, just different. And that's fine.

Posted by: Matt | April 19, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I don't think doubleheaders do much to pad MLS attendance. When I attended Freedom-DC United doubleheaders, the crowd watching the men's game was probably twice that of the WUSA contest. Large numbers of fans left once the game ended when DC United played first and arrived late when Freedom played first. This was during the Ray Hudson years when DC United was not nearly as fun to watch as it has been the last 2 years; both times the Freedom game was much more exciting.

I understand that the same pattern repeated for most, if not all, MSL-WUSA doubleheaders. I wish the WSII the best of luck and will continue to attend Freedom games (I even caught a couple of their recent lopsided affairs at the SoccerPlex), but women's soccer will have to work for quite a few years before it can help boost MLS attendances.

Posted by: ho | April 19, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Brandi's dad used to coach my high school team, and she would practice with us while rehabbing her knee. She's hotter in a real life sportsbra at 20 than she was in WWC TV highlights at 30 something. :-) Also, she was better than just about every guy on the varsity team, including a couple guys on the Northern CA state team. THenry is right there. The pro women are better than most college men's teams and lower division pro teams. The product is good, but marketing is EVERYTHING to a new league. That really will decide if the league has legs. The MLS draws a large latino audience that the WUSA was not as successful tapping. They need to broaden their appeal beyond soccer moms and tween girls to make it long-term. Also, if Wolff and Fisher can get the new Soccer-Specific stadium built in San Jose, it would be a perfect place for the CyberRays to take that last opening. As Goff said tho, it's the money that does the talking.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | April 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I will have two fillings.

Posted by: WWC99 | April 19, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse