At the Copa

Don't get me wrong, I love Copa America and will be watching this summer. But when big-name players say they are not interested or unavailable, it takes some of the luster from it. Brazil will be without some superstars -- not that they're incapable of winning the championship without them.

By the way, GolTV announced today that it has acquired the English-language rights to Copa America this year. All 26 matches live.

By Steve Goff  |  May 16, 2007; 12:27 PM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Makes Us Happy?
Next: I'm Just Saying...

Comments

Big name players wouldn't give their all in the tourney, anyway.

It's the guys with something to prove who will. It's a huge shop window--everybody realizes that. The difference is that even the starters for the U.S. would be in the shop window, whereas they wouldn't be for Brazil and Argentina.

And kudos to the new Checketts-owned GOLTV for getting this done.

Posted by: Shmenge | May 16, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Steve. Now I have that damned Barry Manilow disco tune in my head.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 16, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Rather than pay the money to get GolTV, am I correct in stating that my local over the airwaves Univsion will show the US matches live as well? Me gusta free soccer on TV.

Posted by: NW FC | May 16, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Ray Hudson will be behind the mic for Copa? If so, best news ever

Posted by: Kev | May 16, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Of course some of the top Brazilian and Argie players wont go: they basically didnt have a vacation last year with the WC, so its their first chance at rest in 2 full years.

Then people complain when a whole bunch of the get injured and cant play for club and country.

Still, some top players will go: Messi will go, Ronaldo seems certain that he might go, etc.

Posted by: Vic | May 16, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Any Brazilian team will be fun to watch, although it'd be more fun with those guys. Any word on whether our big named superstar Landon still wants to skip the Copa.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 16, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 16, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Also, for teams like the US and Mexico, it is a chance to play against better quality opposition in an *official* tournament than the regular garbage you get in CONCACAF. Chance to measure yourself against better teams and get a better sense on what you need to improve.

Posted by: Vic | May 16, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

From my understanding, the US doesn't plan on sending their best team either, so I guess it shouldn't come as any surprise that other countries would do the same. Kaka says he doesn't want to play... neither does Landon Donovan.

Personnally, I'm fine if we send a b-team... or our Olympic team or whatever. Give some of the experience to the young kids who need to get bled on the fields in order to work their way past the likes Landon Donovan (who can't decide when he wants to play or not).

Posted by: TCompton | May 16, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"I've said it before and I'll say it again, for temas like the US and Mexico a 4-0 loss to Brazil or Argentina teaches you more than a 3-0 win against Guatemala."

Posted by: Kev | May 16, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Brazil has enough depth that their C-team could destroy us...

It is generally only the big-time European based stars that will hold back, due to the sheer number of games their clubs have already played.

Posted by: Erick | May 16, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean that United might be missing two offensive-midfield playmakers this summer? T

Fred to play for A selecao!!

The sky might be falling this summer for Soehn and Co

(Just kidding, I know he's not even on the radar)

Posted by: G-Unit | May 16, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I dont think its that big of a deal to not have all the superstars, it will give the new up and comers to shine and show their worth? Do we not remember what adriano did in 2004?

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 16, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Crespo has stated that he wants to play.

Posted by: Eric | May 16, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Argentina wants to win it, and so does Paraguay and Colombia. USA won Argentina when it had already qualified for the next round and Passarella decided to use substitutes. It wasn't a big accomplishment, so stop being naive about it.

Posted by: Angel | May 16, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Crespo? Isn't he like 40? :-)

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 17, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"It wasn't a big accomplishment, so stop being naive about it."

Hmmm, bright move that was by Passarella - Argentina finished second in the group (on goal differential) because of that "minor" 3-nil drubbing. The US got to play Mexico in the quarters and Argentina lost to Brazil on penalties. Who's being naive now Kay?

That tournament was extremely important for US soccer. It proved to our players that they could play against world powers without always having to put 10 men behind the ball (like WC '94).

Posted by: Kev | May 17, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that win against Argentina wasn't against their best team, but who cares? Do you remember who was on that US team? Not exactly a super power, so it was a pretty big deal. It also showed folks that you can't take the US for granted. Plus, didn't we beat Argentina again in a friendly at RFK shortly there-after on a cannon by Joe Max Moore?

Anyway, these are all going to be great games even if the top players don't all show. We need our guys to face tough teams on the road.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 17, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"Vic - you do realize that we beat Argentina 3-nil in this tournament before, and that Mexico were in the final 6 years ago? Who knows what will happen, this time, but I don't think either country goes down there simply to take their lumps."

I know, but those results were with different teams. There is probably no one around in the curent Mexican team that reached the final in Colombia in 2001 and the final in Ecuador in 1993 (I think Claudio Suarez with ChivasUSA is the only one who is still active from that team.) And probably only Cobi Jones is the only one still active from the US team that beat Argentina in Paraguay.

The point I;m making is that this tournament offers the US and Mexico better quality opponents in official tournaments that what they get in CONCACAF.

Results like the ones you mention do happen, but lets be real, more often than not teams like Argentina and Brazil will beat the US and Mexico.

Posted by: Vic | May 17, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"Brazil has enough depth that their C-team could destroy us...

Landon will feel good knowing that he is in good company, skipping the Copa America with fellow "elites" like Kaka...actually, it is all B.S. - he sqeamish because Beckham is due to arrive during the same timeframe and Landycakes does not want to lose his captaincy while away. I guess he would rather go beat the Columbus Crew than Argentina. Typical."

Yup. Donovan is basically a p*ssy (excuse my English). He's certainly the most or among the most talented player the US has and he's doing a deservice to himself and the US by staying home and not going to Venezuela and not playing abroad.

Fact is, Donovan probably thinks so highly of himself that unless a team like ManU, Chelsea or Milan came calling he's never leaving the MLS the rest of his career. He needs to move abriad and play for mid-level sized club where he would be able to play week in week out.

His move to B. Leverkusen a few years ago was a bad move and ill advised. There was no way he was ever going to break into the starting XI of that team at that point of career.

Posted by: Vic | May 17, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Goff,

I don't mind watching Copa America without Kaka, Ronaldinho, etc. I see them nine months out of the year playing for the big European clubs. What I want to see from the Copa is the next generation of Latin American talent on display. Plus, hopefully a good showing from the Yanks.

If you want to see the Brazilian & Argentine superstars play for their home countries, watch the South American WC qualifying campaign. It's now the Tournament That Matters for that part of the world. I wish Gol TV would show the qualifiers in addition to the Copa, so we don't have to shell out $20 for Pay Per View.

Posted by: SSMD | May 17, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Vic- not to pile on but...what exactly is Landon going to learn playing for a mid-level team in Europe that he hasn't already learned? Do they kick a ball differently there?
The only move to Europe that would benefit him would be a move to a CL quality side that plays in a top 5 league. That's the only situation that could possibly impart more onto him than he already has. (this is assuming he was "assured" somehow of starting 9/10)
I've never been sold on the idea of US players heading off to Regionalliga Nord, CCC or a bottom feeding Scandanavian team as a starter. History has borne out the fact that it does very little to make them National team quality.

Posted by: papa bear | May 17, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I disagree, a move to a mid level team where he'd most likely be one of their star signings would be perfect for him to show week in and week out what hes made of. SO lets say he went to spain and signed for like celta, and had really good games against barca or real, or valencia, i garuntee you big teams from other countries or even the ones mentioned already would come calling. WOuldnt oyu think so too? Taht would be a great stepping stone from him, the real reason why he hasnt left is because his wife is a hollywood chick who lives there to work, and thats her job. She'd stay and cheat on him, while he worries in europe aobut her cheating on him. PERIOD.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 18, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Good comments. Do you guys know that Argentina and Brasil have enough footballers to stage 3 to 4 teams in any given tournament, including the world cup and be competetive? The depth of footballers is more impressive than one can imagine. As for Mexico and the US...long ways to go. In this Gold Cup...US actually looks better than the Neighbors. I would like to see Mexico win it because of my son who is born in Monterrey Mexico. I would like the US to win it because I think the US can have better football. One game that Mexico beats Argentina is not a thing to boast about. ONE GAME???? How many games does Argentina have spanking that A**????
Mexico has a long way to go to be competetive to win the big one. I don't see it happening. SORRY!!!!!
GO BOCA JUNIORS!!!!!!! 3-0!!!!!!

Posted by: YankiBoquense | June 14, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse