DCU: Sanneh Deal Unlikely

According to the Chicago Tribune's Web site, DCU has expressed interest in oft-injured defender Tony Sanneh, who played the past two seasons with the Fire but did not have his contract renewed this past winter. Sanneh, who will turn 36 in two weeks, began his MLS career with United in 1996 before leaving for Germany after the '98 season.

I just got off the phone with DCU Coach Tom Soehn, who said, "Tony has gotten word to us through his people about wanting to play again, but I would say it is very far-fetched."

The Tribune reported Sanneh was in D.C. to be examined by United's medical staff. Soehn said Sanneh was probably in town for personal reasons and, if he did see a doctor, it was not at the request of the club.

By Steve Goff  |  May 17, 2007; 3:22 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Meanwhile, in New York.....
Next: NOT the Gold Cup Roster

Comments

Too old, too slow, too much of a liability. Soccer is a young man's game. I'm glad we didn't jump the gun on this guy.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 17, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

If it does happen, I called it back in December. Sanneh still has the talent, size, and ability to play CB in this league. When he was healthy for Chicago last year, he made them a contender. As long as the costs aren't too high (i.e. in the high five figures/low six figures), I see no reason why he couldn't help this team.

Posted by: Jason | May 17, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

that's interesting. Our backline is already pretty slow, though. I don't know if he's the answer.

I'd consider it, though as long as:

1) he understands his role. We don't need a distraction. I'm guessing he's a backup at this point, who can start in a pinch.
2) he isn't very expensive.

Posted by: jj | May 17, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I know this is OT, but I've just got to get it out. I just returned from seeing the Iranian film, Offside, at the Landmark Theatre in downtown Washington. It was delightful! I believe it may only be playing at that location for another week, so do try to see it if you can.

This flick opens Friday at the Ritz Theaters in downtown Philadelphia (http://www.ritztheaters.com/synopses/films.php?movie_id=1148). It will also be shown Memorial Day weekend at the Theatre N in downtown Wilmington, DE (http://www.theatren.org/films.html).

Posted by: Go Penn State! | May 17, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: Goff | May 17, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

We need defensive depth badly, and it would be great to see him in a DC jersey again. IF he's healthy and we could get him for a good price, why not? Let him finish his career in DC.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 18, 2007 3:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ric | May 18, 2007 3:41 AM | Report abuse

Remember that great McBride header in 2002 WC against Portugal? The server: Tony Sanneh. Wonder if he still has it...

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 18, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse