Good Mornin'

A few things to gnaw on.....

Henry wants the resurgent Beckham back on the troubled English national team, the Red Bulls' new stadium is a dump (literally), Greek security likes to play paintball and Crystal Palace attempts to gain a foothold in the States.

I'll share my United training observations later.....

By Steve Goff  |  May 22, 2007; 8:49 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United to Copa Sudamericana
Next: Rumors and News

Comments

Goff, any plan on the league's part to have the Cup match played at RBP next year?

Posted by: Logan Circle | May 22, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Don't know yet.

Posted by: Goff | May 22, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Steve,

Does having the second most-visited blog afford you any "journalistic capital" at the Post? That's my interpretation after seeing a front page feature article (with photo) on a minor league soccer team. Nice work!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

a) I'm sure the french guy has a lot of pull with the England team. Maybe we should get Tim Howard to urge the Mexicans to recall Jorge Campos.
b) I wonder how many bodies they've found.
c) Think it'll be like the scene from "300?" The skies over the stadium darken with thousands of orange and green paintballs.
d) Nice article, but does the team name leave the locals wondering what/where the hell the Crystal Palace is? Or is it like Cardinals in Arizona or Lakers in LA... just an out-of-place sports team.

Posted by: bbarrie | May 22, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Here's what I don't get about Crystal Palace USA's idea of developing players here... aside from English players they'd send over to develop, there's no way an American USL-2 player would qualify for an British work permit.

Posted by: Goose | May 22, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I think McLaren has the worst job in the world. I'd rather coach a banana republic that couldn't pay me, than coach the English team. He could do worse than calling up Beckham again however.

Has anyone used the paintball technique on hooligans before?

Might as well have them play on the trash heap, since no one's gunna bother to show up to watch. Why build a stadium for 5000 people?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 22, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Rumors are floating around some website that Cunningham is leaving RSL for an un-named team, and the Esky is going from Toronto to RSL. Any truth to these rumors? Any other details available?

Posted by: MLS multi-team forwards trade? | May 22, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

It seems the Craps fans are a little jealous of your front page article and "journalistic capital", Steven.

Keep up the fine work.

Posted by: Marksman | May 22, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Keep up the fine work.

Posted by: Marksman | May 22, 2007 11:04 AM

hahahahaha, the whining is just plain sad.

Posted by: Tina Fey | May 22, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The NHL has doomed itself to irrelevance with it's eternal strike a few years back. I used to be a Caps season ticket holder--not since. I wonder if Ted Leonsis has buyer's remorse?

On the other hand, if the stadium deal doesn't get finished soon, Chang et al. might have their own buyer's remorse.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 22, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Steve, do you know where I can get more info on the CPUSA's youth teams? The club's website has a picture of the U14 team but no info on camps, tryouts, locations, etc that I can find.

Posted by: Andrew | May 22, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Goff...

Any word on the Esky to RSL rumor? Just popped up on a certain website a little while ago, and it fits that TFC would look to make room at the position given Radzinski was dumped by Fulham just yesterday.

Posted by: d, dc | May 22, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

1. England can use all the help that they can get in qualifying for EURO 08. Even if McLaren's goal is go with a younger team for the 2010 World Cup, he can still enlist Beckham's help along the way. May as well use him while he's still playing decent top flight football in Spain.

2. As fun as it is to make fun of RBNY, this really isn't what the league needs. I'm actually worried that DC will face a similar situation with Poplar Point... granted, I doubt that there will be slabs of concrete, but there will probably be some delays do to foundation concerns.

3. The Athens police force has got to be excited for this match. I'd probably get trigger happy and end up shooting for the hell of it... i guess that's why I have a desk job ;)

4. Nice piece about Crystal Palace. Hell, if they want to help develop US talent, then great! The more that's invested in teaching our youth the fundamentals of football, the more everyone will win... be it Crystal Palace, DC United, or the US National Team. Hopefully DC considers this competition for their youth teams and will devote more attention to building a stronger youth feeder system.

Posted by: TCompton | May 22, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

goose- if they are already under contract to Crystal Palace, then it becomes an internal corporate transfer, a much different situation where visas are concerened. Instead of a new employee visa, which requires qualifications. It's not perfect, but I am sure they have this thought out, it's really no different than your employer transferring you to the London office for a couple of years.

personally, I think they are dreaming if they think they are going to develop any players to sell anywhere but USL-1 or MLS (although I think it is a good thing that the salaries are higher than developmental MLS (heck, in some cases higher than the MLS veteran minimum. more jobs in soccer in the US and more cross-pollination with even Championship developmental players is a good thing.

Posted by: northzax | May 22, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I wish that DC would bring Esky back home... any way we can afford him, now that Walker's (most likely) gone?

Posted by: TCompton | May 22, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Not only was the Crystal Palace feature front page of sports section, but it got referenced in the Inside index along with the photo on the front page of the newspaper! That really caught my eye. The Post does respect local ties to significant events, developments.

Story was well-done, exhaustive of the subject. Ya know it does n't sound like a big deal but just another small step in the overall development of building soccer in the US. Sure seems this is going to be a trend. Only negative is the paucity of fans attending home games.

Posted by: cuzco03 | May 22, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"I wish that DC would bring Esky back home..."

One player with headgear - he suffered a head injury.

Two players with headgear - your players are a bunch of suburban wussies whose mommies let them play soccer only because it's a "non-contact" sport.

Now Brian Kamler/Phantom of the Opera Masks are a different story.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 22, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

On a different subject, Steve Davis at ESPN Soccernet believes we are watching an obviously waning Jaime Moreno (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=432330&root=mls&cc=5901).

The article contains pretty much what many DC United fans, especially here and on Big Soccer, have been saying.

I have to agree with Davis. I'm grateful for all Jaime has done for DC United, but I hate to watch a great athlete become a liability for the team. Last season, Novak refused to substitute him, even though he was clearly fading after 75 minutes or so on the field. This season, his best contributions may come from off the bench late in close games.

Posted by: ho | May 22, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Now, now fellas. Before we gloat over hockey's fall in prominence in the TV and print media, let's appreciate the similarities between the sports.

They have fewer than 20K average attendance.
We have fewer than 20K average attendance.

Their games are on a hard to find network.
Our games are on Thursday nights.

Mainstream sportscasters can't pronounce hockey players' names.
Mainstream sportscasters can't pronounce soccer players' names.

They have teams in non-traditional markets like Phoenix and Tampa.
We have Kansas City and New York.

They have lots of over-paid Europeans.
We want lots of over-paid Europeans.

They throw punches during the game.
We have Andy Herron.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 22, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Following-up on "ho's" cite to Steve Davis' ESPN Soccernet article on Jaime...

Steve overstates his case - Jaime's in his twilight but not clearly waning just yet. Steve harps on the lack of offensive contributions by Jaime during the run of play in MLS games this year (i.e., three goals off of three PK's) but conveniently omits any mention of Jaime's contributions this year in the CC (i.e., the goal off of the bicycle kick).

Steve does have a good point about Jaime's evolving role being an important factor for the rest of the team.

Posted by: Mickey | May 22, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Who wouldn't want to go see a glow in the dark Angel?

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 22, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"goose- if they are already under contract to Crystal Palace, then it becomes an internal corporate transfer, a much different situation where visas are concerened. Instead of a new employee visa, which requires qualifications...."

Posted by: northzax | May 22, 2007 11:37 AM

This is so completely wrong. Just wrong. In order to play in England one must have a work visa if one is not an EU or British Commonwealth passport holder. In order to get this visa, the primary requirement is to be a player of proven international quality. The fastest way to get this approval is to have played in a certain percentage of your national team's senior games. Even then, that's no guarantee as we saw with Bobby Convey when he tried to move to Tottenham. Alex, the Brazilian defender, has been at PSV Eindhoven for two years instead of at Chelsea because of this law. That's the way it is.

Posted by: Wrong, Wrong, Wrong | May 22, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'm confused on the RBNY park. They found chemical waste on the site (is this really a surprise in NJ?), isn't that the main ingredient in Red Bull? It sounds like they ended up building on a gold mine!"

Did you read the article? They anticipated, and found, subsurface oil, not the "chemical waste" products you imply.

The delay was caused by the presence of "huge concrete slabs" and the like.

Even with a two month delay, RB is infinitely closer to a stadium than DC is.

Your envy is an ugly thing.

Posted by: Ubumaurypovich | May 22, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I-270 exit1 - you crack me up, great comparison. I see the sports as fairly similar in many ways. The Caps just didn't do as good a job making me a raving lunatic fan as United did.

LeesburgSoccerFan - The NHL players did not go on strike, they were locked out by management ..... very different

Posted by: Lonnie | May 22, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Their games are on a hard to find network.

I enjoyed your post I-270. However, I am really getting tired of this comment.....from PTI, Jim Rome, that stupid show before PTI, etc, etc. Just because everyone says it, doesn't mean it is true.
I don't know about most people but, I can use a channel guide. And I can use a newspaper generated TV Guide that tells you what channel is what network, etc.

Posted by: Marksman | May 22, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse