Greetings From RFK

First, and most importantly, Ben Olsen's 30th birthday is tomorrow. He wanted everyone to know. Yes, he feels old. Nice to see he's all grown up now -- got married last winter, just bought a house elsewhere in the city after living in a loft in Adams-Morgan for a few years. Life is good (well, except for that losing streak thing). Even after offering my birthday wishes, however, he refused to reveal the lineup. Grrrr.

Practice was closed to the unwashed masses again today, but I can tell you that Devon McTavish (hip flexor) sat out and will not play tomorrow. He probably won't be available for Sunday's match against Chivas USA. So does John Wilson step into the lineup? Is Facundo Erpen back? With all that has been going on, it's anyone's guess how they will line up Thursday.

Some quick quotes:

MORENO
"Talk is done. I think we've just get to get results. We had a good week of practice, so hopefully we will play well tomorrow."

How have preparations been different this week? "Mentally, you've got to change and slowly we have. Tomorrow is a good test for us and everyone will be ready."

Lineup changes? "That's a coach's decision, so you have to ask him. I just expect everyone to be ready."

Playing New England? "It's always a battle because they fight. It's going to be a hard game."

SOEHN

"I've called out the team as far as how much passion we are playing with, especially our home games. We've got a good stretch of games coming up where we can turn things around. Teams go through stretches, good and bad, as do players, and when you have those stretches, the way to come out of it is fighting and scrapping and making sure that you take care of the work load."

The process of deciding what changes to make: "You look and watch, and you have to evaluate guys in training, evaluate guys in games, you look at your oppponent, you look at their strengths and weaknesses, and you adjust accordingly. Training dictates who plays and that's the mentality we are going to go into the game with."

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2007; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Accidental Header
Next: Guevara to Toronto?

Comments

Wilson now!

Posted by: Dave | May 2, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the live chat started at 1 on washingtonpost.com

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 2, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Steven,
You are a wimp.

Posted by: Champions League | May 2, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I'd like to take a crack at that last question on the chat. Speaking for both myself and the Barra I've never heard anyone yell "O" in 135. I may be wrong but I think it comes from other sections. Of course the Barra wasn't the only group in Columbus. Personally I think it's disrespectful, but that's just my opinion.

Posted by: Chico | May 2, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

You're wrong.

Posted by: Goose | May 2, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

yell "O"?

Posted by: say what? | May 2, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm hearing Guevara might be traded to Toronto. Anyone see anything on the Web?
Let me know...

Posted by: Goff | May 2, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Goose, maybe I am. I wish people in the Barra would quit it. It's asinine and has nothing to do with our support of our SOCCER team.

Posted by: Chico | May 2, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I went looking, and found nothing on Guevara except that he got yanked early this weekend...

Posted by: RK | May 2, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, Guevara sure didn't look very happy getting subbed off against LA the other night. I guess he and Mo got along OK when he was coaching NJ. And you would imagine Preki would be pretty hard on whoever is playing his old position. So it might make some sense. I only saw one of their games so I'm not sure what it is that TFC needs most, but I suppose it's goal scoring.

I agree on the O thing. It is disrespectful and since we are neither in Baltimore nor the Orioles it doesn't make any logical sense either. It's bugged me since day 1.

Posted by: Glenn | May 2, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

For Goff or those who go to the reserve matches --Is Wilson a viable option for tomorrow's game? Sometimes having the wrong player is worse than having the wrong formation. I'm hoping for a 4 man back, but not if its gunna be worse than a 3 man back with an extra midfielder playing deep. Is Erpen, Wilson, Namoff, and Blogswell tenable?

Posted by: greg | May 2, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Chico,
We have tried covering the main offender's mouth, but SHE's (hint) a biter ;-)

Posted by: jgildea | May 2, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, I do the "O" thing, largely because it's also the Nationals' house, and **** those guys.

Posted by: Goose | May 2, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone yelling "O's" should be sent to Guantanamo, stat!

Posted by: O's = Terrorism | May 2, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Well it looks like we finally found out who the next two expansion cities will be: Atlanta and Portland/Seattle. Go figure.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 2, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if they do that at Nationals' games

Posted by: Open up and say "O" | May 2, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta? Really? Well finally KC won't be last in attendance. Announcing the slogan contest for the Atlanta franchise:

Atlanta. We're the next Tampa.

Remember the Atlanta Chiefs? Neither do we.

You're a fan - just not of soccer.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 2, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Portland/Seattle. Which is it? Those city's aren't that close if you're driving.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm from Seattle. If the expansion city is Portland, then I'll be pissed!

Posted by: Dave the Wave | May 2, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Off topic comment: Patrik Berger, Czech midfielder for Aston Villa, recently made a comment that he was considering an offer from an MLS team. Any idea who that would be? And would Berger command DP money?

Posted by: John | May 2, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"0" stands or "Oh, shut the hell up and sit down Barra Brava, you wannabe English soccer hooligans." Can't you "support" the team without acting like a bunch of a-holes and cursing every player and ref? Grow up fercrissakes.

Posted by: cant see through you | May 2, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

So will they be the Seattle Storm, Tacoma Stars or the Portland Sucks? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

um... is this atlanta portland/seattle thing anything more than the random rumor of a poster here? cause I could say philly san jose and that doesn't make it so. I'm not seeing it anywhere else.

Posted by: bluemeanies | May 2, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like someone needs to move to quiet side...

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 2, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

bluemeanies: San Jose will technically not be an expansion team. When my hometown lost our team, Dallas became an expansion team like the Browns/Ravens. Unfortunately, no one knows what's happening in San Jose since the deal for the field across from Spartan Stadium fell through a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 2, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Two things

1) The problem with Sohn is this quote: "Soccer is a game of mistakes, and those who pounce on mistakes get rewarded. The harder you work, the more mistakes you create. So as we look to outwork them and get that part of it right, we're going to get more chances."

The harder you work, the more mistakes you make? This guy needs to go.

2) Where did Benny move to? We miss him in Adams-Morgan.

Posted by: Susanna | May 2, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the projected attendance for Thursday? Weather's supposed to be nice, for a change...

Also, Steve, as much of a Red Sox fan as I am, could y'all fix that little soccer headlines box on the main DCU page just below the Soccer Insider link? I keep seeing that "bloody sock" link appear more than once.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 2, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

The harder you work the more mistakes you create (for the other team). Soehn is essentially saying that when DC is on defense, they need to pressure the other team to force turnovers.

Thaks for reminding us that the fans mean "O Susanna" during the National Anthem.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 2, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who grew up going to Orioles games and not Senators games has become accustomed to the "Oh!" I remember a big deal being made of this in the SportsBog during Hockey Season. I do it, and will continue to do so. Even though I've been to a few Nat's games (at RFK, Anaheim, and San Diego) I'm still a much bigger fan of the Orioles, just not that douchebag Peter Angelos.

Also, Portland would be a MUCH better market for MLS than Seattle, as the only pro-team they'd have to compete with is the Trailblazers, and that's really not much competition. They've also got a great supporters community with the Timbers, hopefully a move to Portland by MLS means a "promotion" of the Timbers, keeping their history intact. Same goes for Atlanta and the Silverbacks who play in a SSS that isn't as nice as the HDC or some of the newer MLS parks, but it beats Crew Stadium. Also, Atlanta is less than a 3 hour drive for me, so that means more United away matches for me :-)

If you want to sit down at a soccer match, go to Jersey or Columbus. If you aren't a part of the atmosphere, you're a waste of a seat, especially if you're anywhere near the Barra, or SE's.

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 2, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

AlecW81,

That last comment is a bit much. You can pat yourself on the back for being a part of the SE, BB, or LN which all add to the great atmosphere at RFK without denigrating those of us who sit elsewhere. I've got kids 2,5 and 7 who I bring to as many games as possible. Do you expect us to sit with the BB? Be realistic will you?

Posted by: Dan | May 2, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

English fans, pfffffffffft. If we become like English fans I want no parts of La Boring Brava :D

Posted by: Goose | May 2, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve, any idea how many people will be there tomorrow for the game?

Posted by: Olsen is my boy | May 2, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

To quote my daughter-- saying "O" is an Oriole thing and we're not in Baltimore and we're not watching baseball, so cut it out.

For more rantings come to section 232, and ask the loudest kid you can find what she things of Beckham coming.

Posted by: I Like Standing in 232 | May 2, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

could someone post a link to the Atlanta/PortlandSeattle expansion story?
Thanks.

Posted by: grotus | May 3, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Barra Brava eats it

Posted by: Zidane | May 3, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Steven.....Do you think Dc United misses Adu
just a little ? He Did'n't score alot of goals but he set up goals with alot of decent
passes ....But then again I don't think Adu would have been happy unless playing in the middle.....

Posted by: Terry | May 4, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse