Guevara Deal: Here's What Happened

Chivas USA "agreed" to trade star midfielder Amado Guevara to Toronto FC. In other words, it was a handshake deal only. Chivas told Guevara he was being traded before finalizing the transaction -- big mistake. Guevara expressed his displeasure. Toronto asked for permission (and, surprisingly, got it) to speak to the the upset Guevara before they put the finishing touches on the trade. Guevara then told Toronto he did not want to play there. Toronto subsequently declined to sign the official league papers certifying the trade. Somewhere, there is an unsigned Guevara-to-Toronto trade document floating around.

Can the deal be saved? I'm told it is very unlikely.

By Steve Goff  |  May 3, 2007; 5:41 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Updates
Next: Matchday 4: New England at D.C.

Comments

Guevara, where to start, he destroyed himself really. He has talent, sure, but with the attitude he displays he has single handedly wrecked his MLS credibility with not just the fans but also those that wish to employ him. He is a black cloud, for any team, and his shown more unwillingness to get on with it than almost any player I've seen to date. He doesn't want to play for Toronoto? He complained about the lack of fans when in New York, at least in Toronto he would be in a sold out stadium day in day out. I really think the guy deserves to be left out of the league entirely, get rid of him all together as he has shown he is not going to change his crappy attitude.

Posted by: Felix | May 3, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I even back when it happened I was surprised that Chivas USA gave up their DP for 5 years for Guevara. I could see 2 or 3 but 5 seemed a bit much. Especially for a club that could use it's connections to bring in a big name Mexican player.

Posted by: Allen | May 3, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I hope Guevara rots away in a mexican b league team and winds up broke and begging for coins on a street corner. Bum!!!!

Posted by: DB | May 3, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

he is a player with no heart or cojones to play the game.

Posted by: FM | May 3, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Guevara is not the first player who has refused to play in Canada. In fact I believe he is the fourth one who has declined to play for Toronto FC in its short history.

The fact of the matter is that it's Preki's inexperience as a coach that resulted in this trade not working out(Guevara's trade to Chivas USA). Dealing with big egos is part of being a manager, and I don't think Preki knows how to deal with one at this time.

The end result of this saga will most likely be Guevara getting out of his contract,playing really well in the Gold Cup, and getting a good deal with some big name club in Central America or a lesser known Mexican side.

Posted by: Jose | May 4, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Quoting Goff: Guevara expressed his displeasure.

I can only imagine what that looked and sounded like!!!

Posted by: Beaker | May 4, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse