Guevara to Toronto?

As I mentioned several hours ago in my washingtonpost.com online chat, I am hearing that Honduran midfielder Amado Guevara is about to be traded by Chivas USA to struggling Toronto FC for midfielder Paulo Nagamura and a draft pick. This will reunite Guevara and Coach Mo Johnston, who, as I recall, did not see eye to eye when they were together in New York.

Remember when Chivas sent its valuable designated player slot to New York in order to acquire Guevara? Hmmm.....

Here were Chivas Coach Preki's comments in the L.A. Times following Saturday's loss to the Galaxy in which Guevara played poorly and then was red-carded for an incident with a game official on the sideline.

"I don't think Amado was sharp from the first minute," Preki said. "He couldn't find the ball. Defensively he wasn't just working hard. In a game like this, we need 11 guys to fight for each other. In my opinion, when you put on a Chivas jersey and you go out there, you better represent that with a lot of pride.

"Tonight, he wasn't the Amado Guevara we know."

By Steve Goff  |  May 2, 2007; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greetings From RFK
Next: Euro Fluff

Comments

I like Preki, he's a hardass. Nagamura will do well there.

Posted by: DCAustinite | May 2, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Mo just say last week that he wasn't going to ship anyone else out? I'd be nervous if I was on that team. At least with Soehn if you don't play well you get to the bench. With Mo, it's out on a rail. Wonder how many more weeks Carl Robinson has.

Posted by: DCUinCT | May 2, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Amado Guevara = the new Diego Serna

So....I'm assuming that the League has someone on their payroll whose full-time job it is to keep up with FC Toronto's trades? They seem to part with a lot of draft picks and allocation money.

Posted by: DWE4 | May 2, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Can we rename Toronto FC the Ontario/Quebec MetroStars? Their coach, playmaker and record would all seem to lead there.

Luckily, we don't have to go through the trouble of changing our name. People just know we suck.

Posted by: Logan Circle | May 2, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

So Chivas USA has traded a DP slot and Amado Guevara for Nagamura and a draft pick...wow, Amado must be sucking donkey balls right now! But I trust Preki's opinion, since he used to play for the Tacoma Stars:) Never doubt an athlete who used to play in the 'woodshed';)

Posted by: Dave the Wave | May 2, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

It sounds exactly like the Amado that I know.

Posted by: jgildea8 | May 2, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

wow. just wow. they blew their dp for nagamura and a pick. i wonder if preki ever wanted guevara in the first place. so what happens to their dp slot now? does it still count for the years agreed in the trade, or will they recieve a new one next year?

Posted by: jerad | May 2, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

This is all so weird it must be part of a conspiracy that is so well developed that it appears that all activity is chaotic and uncoordinated, yet in reality is working toward some truly devious master plan which will result in Thor Lee getting a DP contract at least as lucrative as Beckham's.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 2, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 5280 | May 2, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Alexi Lalas did claim that RBNY overspent for the Designated Player spot. I believe everything Alexi says to me. Especially his subliminal messages....

Posted by: DWE4 | May 2, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see the Allen Hopkins: MLS News and Notes on ESPNSoccernet? He seems pretty convinced that Chivas USA will make a big signing come summer transfer window; wonder how that will be without their DP slot.

Posted by: Ed | May 2, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Preki is wrong, that IS the Amado that we all (except Chivas USA apparently) know. it's true he can change games, but more often than not he is no where to be seen or complaining about everything.

I feel bad for TFC for inheriting this cancer...

-dave

Posted by: gnat | May 2, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone really suprised that it only took a month for Guevara to piss people off?

Color me stunned.

Seriously though, as I was watching Toronto this past weekend, I was saying that they had no playmaking ability whatsoever out of central midfield as Carl Robinson is not a playmaker. That team could be dangerous with Guevara pulling the strings.

Posted by: A Rickey | May 2, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

What the heck? Who told Chivas USA to give RSL competition for the silliest player moves around?

Posted by: Allen | May 2, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Chivas, RSL, Toronto...expansion is obviously just as much of a learning curve off the field as on it. Horrible for Chivas, giving up the DP for Nagamura and a pick. But can't blame them for wanting to get rid of Guevara. Toronto has been so bad, though, that I actually think this is a good move for them. Carl Robinson is atrocious, so Guevara would be a HUGE upgrade on the field for sure. Given their desperate state of affairs, Guevara is worth the risk for TFC at this moment. They can always dump him at the end of the year anyway...

Posted by: Nick | May 2, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

People forget Chivas have a ready made mechanism by circumvent the DP issues - namely Chivas de Guadalajara.

I want to believe that Amado is just passing through on his way to Houston for De Ro. I, and every other Toronto fan, will be wishing the same thing.

If not, well, Mo just took a big gamble, one that a manager with an 0-4-0, -10 GD record might do. I guess he's feeling the pressure...

Come on De Ro!!

Posted by: Aljarov | May 2, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Houston would be incredibly stupid to take Guevara for DeRo. Period. Toronto would have to package a few more players with Amado for DeRo.

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 2, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Can't they just trade a couple of those draft picks and 3rd string goalie to RSL for their DP slot?

Posted by: Glenn | May 2, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

"If I remember correctly, Chivas got a pair of draft picks from RBNY in addition to Guevara. So technically Chivas gave up a DP slot and Guevara for Nagamura and 3 draft picks (rather than 1). The general point of this all being botched still stands though."

No, Chivas actually GAVE UP a third round draft pick (which became Sinise Ubumaurypovich or whatever) plus the designated player slot.

NY absolutely scalped Chivas.

"SECAUCUS, N.J. -- The New York Red Bulls traded former MVP Amado Guevara to Chivas USA on Monday for a third-round draft pick and a "designated player" slot..."

Posted by: Galaxian | May 2, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Does nobody else suspect the whole RBNY/Chivas, Chivas/Tor trades were just the next chapter in the not-so-secret MLS conspiracy to put a winning team in NY. I'm just waiting to see how RBNY manages to come up with a 3rd DP spot around the time they rebrand as the Cosmos.

Posted by: bbarrie | May 2, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

If there really has been a conspiracy by the league office to put a winning team in NY, its one of the worst executed conspiracies in history. Wait, that's exactly what they want us to believe ...

Posted by: Oscar M | May 2, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"not-so-secret MLS conspiracy"

I've never heard of it. I'm all for conspiracies if they bring Zidane to the HDC, though.

Weren't people laughing at the idea that NY would be able to win with their old men? Now that they're winning, and on top of the whole dang league despite having a lineup filled with scrubs, journeymen, and the elderly, it's a conspiracy? Give me a break.

Posted by: Galaxian | May 2, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

But where will New York be Come August?

That's all that matters.

Posted by: Ahhh | May 3, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Come August New York will be hoisting the Supporters Shield. Just wait.

Posted by: T. Henry | May 3, 2007 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and Manu U. blanked by AC Milan??? Whooda thunk it?

Posted by: T. Henry | May 3, 2007 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Ives is now linking reports that the trade isn't done....

Posted by: JkR | May 3, 2007 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Thursday night soccer

Great article in today's Post by our fearless leader. I have to say, Im digging the Thursday night match. I also have to say that the announcer team is working for me.

Here's hoping we don't put forth another snoozer!

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 3, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I still can't believe they gave that bastige Jaime's MVP trophy.

Posted by: Chico | May 3, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BENNY!
Tell the team you want 3 points for your present!

Agree with Chico...Jaime got ripped that year.

Posted by: JMR | May 3, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Jaime's MVP trophy"

Didn't Guevara lead the league in scoring that year? And it's indisputable that the 2004 Metrostars would have been a disaster that year without him. You DC fans have to give up the grudges.

To throw gasoline on the fire: Jaime looks a LOT like he did when he was terrible for the Metrostars that one season. He was hiding an injury, but he looked lazy as hell. And he doesn't seem to have his old personality on the field. He looks sullen and tired. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather have Amado and his occasional red card than Jaime and his total lack of effort and concentration.

Posted by: Galaxian | May 3, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: northzax | May 3, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Then they should've given him the "MetroStars would've been a disaster without him" trophy. Jaime's performance in 2004 was incredible without mentioning the fact that he was coming off back surgery. I guess I'll give up my "Grudge" knowing that Jaime got his fourth ring that year.

Posted by: Chico | May 3, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Does the fact that TT leads MLS in goals scored all time make him the greatest player in MLS? Guevara leading the league in goals gets him the golden boot. There were many fans that thought Jaime was more valuable to his team then the prick known as Guevara. That will never change and we will never forget the effort and passion of Jaime that season.

Posted by: JMR | May 3, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"we will never forget the effort and passion of Jaime that season"

Sounds like an epitaph to me.

"one could say Chivas got scalped, but if they weren't planning to use the DP slot in the first place, why not ship it off?"

Fair enough, and I bet that's why Bob Bradley did it in the first place but that calls into question Vergara's commitment to success. And I'm happy to see Chivas less than fully committed to success.

Were they planning on having a max salary player? For the price of a max salary player and a decently paid journeyman, they could have had a big, big name-- depending of course on how willing Vergara is to dish out more of his own cash to help the goats out, rather than just shifting players from his "real" team's payroll to his "fake" team's payroll.

But you're right: the DP slot is a freebie if you don't have any interest in using it to win and to draw crowds, and if you don't mind tying your hands for several years if something goes wrong.

Posted by: Galaxian | May 3, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"many fans that thought Jaime was more valuable to his team then the prick known as Guevara"

And many fans, and the league, thought the opposite.

I'm not saying Guevara was necessarily a better player that year than Moreno. I'm just saying it's totally reasonable that Guevara got the MVP award.

Posted by: Galaxian | May 3, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Guevara didn't lead the league in goals in 2004. Ching, with 13, did. Guevara had 10, but 6 of them were penalties, and he scored no goals after August 8.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | May 3, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I wrote: "Didn't Guevara lead the league in scoring that year?"

Scoring=goals+assists.

Just so you know it wasn't ME you were correcting.

Posted by: Galaxian | May 3, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

That's right. That was the last year the league counted assists for the scoring title...

Posted by: Dave Lifton | May 3, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I should point out that Guevara had 10 goals to Moreno's 7 in 2004.

It seems like you DC fans think Moreno should have won the MVP based largely on what shirt he was wearing.

Yawn.