Hey, Hey, Hey

Ives uncovers more Red Bull shenanigans , Chris Albright might be sidelined for a very long time, former Dallas coach Colin Clarke lands in Puerto Rico and DCU news and notes.

For your viewing pleasure, AC Milan-Liverpool today at 2:25 p.m. on ESPN2 and Dan Steinberg's report on the D.C. United dance phenomenon during Washington Post Live on Comcast SportsNet beginning at 5 p.m. and streamed live on washingtonpost.com.

Okay, I need your predictions on the big Euro showdown. I am going with 2-1 Milan in overtime. Anyone?

By Steve Goff  |  May 23, 2007; 7:41 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Draws Chivas
Next: Willis Gone

Comments

That's pretty funny. Did they check his background at all?

Posted by: cw | May 23, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Is this your earliest a.m. blog post ever, Goff?

Posted by: Keenan | May 23, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Liverpool 2-1

Posted by: lawrenceterp | May 23, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

"Liverpool 2-1"

I'm gonna side with Lawrenceterp. Do you by any chance mean you went to KU, because that would be pretty great.

Posted by: Colm | May 23, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Milan will get up early, with Seedorf being the catalyst. After taking the lead, Milan will drop back slightly, just enough to prevent Liverpool's longball style from having real effect. Just before the break, Milan will score on a breakaway and take a two goal lead. After the half, Liverpool scores their first, but are quickly answered by Milan, and Milan takes it in regulation, 3-1.

Posted by: annapolis | May 23, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

You never like to see a player get hurt like Allbright has. He's always been a decent player and seems like a decent guy. I've gotta say, though, that I'm glad some other defenders are going to get a shot in the National Team. Albright is okay, but we need the young guys to get some time together to gel.

Posted by: grotus | May 23, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I don't wish injury on anyone, but if this means we don't have to see Chris Albright on the US MNT for a "very long time" then I'm not complaining.

3-1 Milan.

Posted by: I-66 | May 23, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Milan just seems to kill English clubs. I think 3-1 Milan.

Posted by: JTR | May 23, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Just looked at Puerto Rico's site. Jay Needham has gone the full 90 in the past 4 matches. Hey, Goff, do we still have his MLS rights, or did we lose them when he went to PR? How's that system work?

Posted by: grotus | May 23, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

You have to love Emilio's since of humor, if not his voice. But then again English is his umpteenth language so I give him credit.

Milan 3-0. Gattuso runs rampant all over the field, climbs up Crouch's back and rips him in two. Kaka takes the ball and runs coast to coast to score all three.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 23, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Milan, 2-1 in regular time.
Am I the only one who worries that, with Albright out, Namoff's chances of getting called up for at least one of the summer tournaments just skyrocketed? I mean, good for Bryan, he deserves it, but what will DC's back line look like? What if Namoff AND Boswell get called up? Goff, any word on how McTavish is recovering? What about the Polish defender?

Posted by: Jeff M | May 23, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

milan scores early in the run of play and then sits back. liverpool presses and gets increasingly desperate. milan (i should just say kaka. he will score both goals) takes advantage on a counter-attack and puts the game away in the 75th. game ends that way, crouch picks up an injury after a tackle by maldini. milan wins 2-0

Posted by: moses | May 23, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

3-1 Liverpool. They have the pyschological edge over Milan.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 23, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

To answer some questions...

If I've read the MLS rules correctly, DCU retains Needham's MLS rights until December 2008.

Namoff has a great chance to be called up. Boswell has an outside chance. I doubt both would be called into the same tournament. McTavish light training yesterday but seems unlikely he'll be at full fitness by Saturday. Talks with Polish defender are off until next month. It still could happen.

Posted by: Goff | May 23, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

The Albright article metions WEEKS...what I have seen with hamstring injuries in outside midfielders and backs (i.e. guys that depend on speed the most to get up adn back) is that recovery takes forever.

My bet is that Albright does not recover 100% match fitness for the rest of the season.

We can bet out mortgage payments that he is out of the USMNT picture for the summer tournaments.

This is good for the USMNT - I was never impressed by Albright as a defender - and bad for DCU in that in bodes ill since Namoff will be in Bradley's crosshairs. He has to basically field two teams this summer, so the USMNT pool will draw more players than usual. So after tapping the normal Euro-based pool, they will have to pull MLS guys for the second team.

Posted by: Erick | May 23, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

2-0 liverpool.

Liverpool up early, Milan flips out after LFC's defense holds out, 'pool hits one on the counter to seal it. one for the thumb.

Posted by: d, dc | May 23, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Cheating Third Place Italians 2:1 Underwhelming Third Place Scousers

Posted by: Eric | May 23, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Scousers 1-0.

I'm naming my first born Rafa.

Posted by: Vic | May 23, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Milan 3-2 in regulation time, with Milan getting a late goal to revenge 2005. Now, if both Kaka and Gerrard have great games, then the fans will be the real winners.

Red Bull must have completely cleaned house when they bought the MetroStars. No one there knew to question the resume when they hired Simoniants, or remembered that the MetroStars fired him?

Posted by: ho | May 23, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Unprecedented final score.

Milan 23 - 22 final goal scored in stoppage time.

I saw a weather report that said the wind is blowing out today.

Posted by: Kim | May 23, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Liverpool 3:2 AC Milan

Although it could just as easily go the other way, I expect to see a few goals. Look for the scousers to grab the winning goal late in the match against 10 men.

Posted by: J-Mart | May 23, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I feel like this is going to be a dull Champions League final. Liverpool wins though, 3-2.

Posted by: EmorySoccer | May 23, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Scousers 2-1

Posted by: Kaloramaist | May 23, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

off topic, but I highly suggest reading "European Soccer's Political Goal" in today's WSJ. Very good article on history of salaries, impacts to euro clubs, etc.

Posted by: l st | May 23, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mr. Goff -- 'ya can't leave us hanging!
Posted by Goff at 8:49 AM ET, 05/22/2007
...I'll share my United training observations later.....

Posted by: Postmaster | May 23, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Let me see if I understand this. Simoniants submitted a resume to NYRB claiming that he was the head coach of THEIR OWN RESERVE TEAM from 2000-2003. Did no-one with knowledge of the organization read his resume? Did MLS even have reserve teams back then?

Whoever hired him should be forced to excavate the concrete and toxic waste from the stadium site.

Match prediction:
The catenaccio rules. 0-0. Teams are tied after 20 rounds of PKs. Everyone leaves the stadium in boredom. The announcers go home. The referee falls asleep. The match is finally decided but no-one knows who the winner is. Replay in two weeks.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 23, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Milan just seems to kill English clubs. I think 3-1 Milan."

You mean other than losing to this very same English club, in this same match two seasons ago in humiliating fashion (?) They've done well vs Manchester United recently though.

If Liverpool can frustrate Kaka, they'll win 1-nil. Can't possibly be as good as '05, can it??

Posted by: Kev | May 23, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | May 23, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Ran out of time for training observations yesterday. Nothing of great urgency, though. Read today's story for DCU news and notes.

Posted by: Goff | May 23, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me the exact *kickoff* time -- not when coverage starts -- today? I'd like to work from home in the afternoon and watch the game, but need to know how late I can stay at work and still make the kickoff.

Also, re: "Makes one wish they'd play this game over the weekend. I know they can't, but still..." ... why can't they?

Posted by: Kevin | May 23, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

From what I understand, pregame show starts at 2 p.m., kickoff is at 2:25 p.m.
but if someone else has more info, please share it here!

Posted by: Goff | May 23, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Milano 1-0

Posted by: Andrew | May 23, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I am just curious as to the Post didn't send Goff to Athens to cover the game. This is one of the biggest sporting events in the world, yet there is little to no coverage in Post. This should be front page news with in-depth analysis. The Post really droped the ball on this one. This is soccer's Super Bowl!!!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 23, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Liverpool doesn't lose in the CL.

3-1 to the Reds, Gerrard the hero as usual.

Posted by: Scouser | May 23, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Liverpool 10
Milan 8

One heck of a match.

Posted by: Poochie | May 23, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Can anyone tell me the exact *kickoff* time -- not when coverage starts -- today?

...why can't they?"

Kickoff should be just after 2:45 EST, ESPN coverage starts at 2:30.

And the Champions League will always be a mid-week competition, so it does not interfere with domestic leagues and cups.

Posted by: Kev | May 23, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Though I Italian football, I see liverpool's attack being smothered by a superior defense. Kaka gets 2 in reg. Milan 2-0 and a hideously boring game.

Posted by: Moteus | May 23, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I told the boss I have *cough cough* flu like symptons. I better go home.

Posted by: Chico | May 23, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

1-1 tie. Match is so boring many can't remember who actually won (ACMilan)in PK's.
Match overshadowed by the thousands of Liverpool fans outside the stadium who can't secure a ticket have a running battle with the local police.

Posted by: Mountebank | May 23, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... Milan 4-3 in PKs. Both teams are playing for everything, so it should be a good match. Kaka is fun to watch, but the defense of Milan will be tough to beat. Still, I think Liverpool has more varied attacking opptions and if they can shut down Kaka I don't think this will be settled in regular time. I love Liverpool, but I think the slight edge here goes to Milan. I hope I'm wrong!

Posted by: T. Henry | May 23, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Liverpool 1 - 0.

And ESPN(2) has "pregame" coverage starting at 2 PM. Whatever that means.

Posted by: B.A. | May 23, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Milan 2-1

Kaka is the man to watch.

Posted by: Drogba20 | May 23, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

-----
Please tell me you are joking. Please.

Posted by: Goff | May 23, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute Goff ...

Are you saying that you don't want a trip to Athens to cover the Champions League?

I thought you were a football fan.

Posted by: G-Unit | May 23, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Milan 2-0

Posted by: MattM | May 23, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Well both teams are going to have to provide the excitement with lone strikers. Just Inzaghi and Kuyt playing up front. Does that mean a tedious and "midfieldy" or does it free up Gerrard and Kaka to freelance more?

Posted by: Kev | May 23, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: omar | May 23, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Does anybody know if there will be a replay of the game? I'm stranded at work and forgot to set my DVR"

7pm on ESPN Classic and 11pm on ESPN2 tonight.

Posted by: Kevin | May 23, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

CL Final Replays:
7pm ET Tonight on ESPN2
10pm ET Tonight on Setanta Sport USA

5pm ET Tomorrow on ESPN Classic
8pm ET Tomorrow on Fox Soccer Channel

Posted by: Mountebank | May 23, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

www.soccertv.com

Posted by: Goff | May 23, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! A victory by a hand ball?????? UFB. Not a good match. GO Liverpool.

Posted by: T. Henry | May 23, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Milan 2-1 in regular time! That's what I had (see 9:01 AM)! We all put $10 into the pool before the game, right?

Posted by: Jeff M | May 23, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse