Northern Exposure

I will be on assignment in Toronto all day Friday and might not have a chance to update the Insider until late afternoon or early evening, if at all. My regular contributions will return Saturday afternoon before United's match against TFC.

In the meantime, feel free to use this thread as a forum for anything on your mind. FA Cup predictions, anyone?

By Steve Goff  |  May 17, 2007; 11:11 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NOT the Gold Cup Roster
Next: Esky Says Hello

Comments

Steve,

When you are up in Toronto can you assess the crowds demographic. It seems Toronto has not gone for the youth soccer market. Instead, there is a lot of talk of the club attracting a really mature knowledgeable audience. This in turn leads to a very different dynamic at the games.

Posted by: nick | May 17, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

I hear it's just the opposite: fans cheer whenever the ball is taken into the opposing half, regardless of how lethal or impotent the threat is. The fans still love it if the ball's taken in there and kicked right back out.

Posted by: Dan4DCU | May 17, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

With so few games actually played in Toronto thusfar, there does not exist enough statistical data to ascertain whether their fans are knowledgable or or idiotic, youthful or mature, loyal or fickle. Patience, young grasshopper, patience.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 18, 2007 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 18, 2007 1:01 AM | Report abuse

There's a soccer game this weekend not played in Toronto? (???)

Posted by: Goose | May 18, 2007 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Soccer in Canada, eh?

Posted by: J. Candy | May 18, 2007 3:01 AM | Report abuse

"I hear it's just the opposite: fans cheer whenever the ball is taken into the opposing half, regardless of how lethal or impotent the threat is."

Hmm. Probly thought it was a hockey game, eh?

Posted by: Joe S. | May 18, 2007 3:08 AM | Report abuse

Why doesn't MD and Virginia put a second level on the beltway that has limited entrances/exits?

I'd limit the exits to MD: 270, I95, US50, RT5, VA: 95, 66, GW Pkwy.

Posted by: JSF | May 18, 2007 7:31 AM | Report abuse

The TFC vs.Houston game on Wednesday was played on a wet field turf surface. I read a comment that the playing conditions were "deplorable". I thought field turf is supposed to handle inclement weather. Whats the word on TFC's field turf? Does it give them any real advantage or is it nuetral? DCU needs the three points to keep pace in our division even though we have games in hand.

Posted by: sbg | May 18, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

On another note, did anyone catch last night's Chicago-Dallas match? Is it me, or was that a fun game to watch with some pretty good soccer being played? Also, I have to say that Im liking the commentary from the three in the booth. Tommy's toned it down a bit, and Wynalda's lightened up a bit.

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 18, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

prediction: esky opens the scoring in the 20th by hurdling an erpen tackle. perkins gives him a high five as he dribbles past.

emilio scores for united in the 45th as that scary defender bites off a chunk of ear

olsen scores the winner in the 70th but disappears mysteriously after the match, shows up at training 3 days later with strange animal hair stuck in his beard, starts flinching whenever anyone mentions 'sasquatch' or 'big foot'

Posted by: Anonymous | May 18, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

United double tomorrow - Manchester then DC. 2-nil at Wembley, 3-2 in Toronto.

Posted by: Kev | May 18, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"Ive got some family in Toronto and they tell me the fans there are pretty knowledgeable -- its quite a diverse city with lots of folks coming from countries that follow soccer. The word is that the folks at the games are just really psyched to be there and are looking for reasons to cheer -- which is a pretty cool environment."

Living in Toronto myself and a being a key member of a supporters group that already has over 1000 members, I can tell all of you that we are quite knowledgeable. We've had parents and grandparents come from all over the world to help weave the fabric of the most diverse city on the Planet, Toronto. This diversity has helped proliferate of frenzy of Football fanaticism and passion, as we know Football is a World game and Toronto is a worldly city. We will be proud followers of our team for years to come, this is not fly by night... We sing, we stand and we clap our hands... We're TFC until we die!

Posted by: Red Patch Boy | May 18, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Business Class at least?

Have fun in those nice airport security lines.

At least Toronto has a packed house and the atmosphere should be good---and it's not Kansas City or women's b-ball.

Posted by: delantero | May 18, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing how much more work I get done on Goff's travel days. I feel the withdrawal symptoms already this morning unfortunately.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 18, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"the most diverse city on the Planet"

Them's fightin' words! Get your seat cushions and meet me outside the saloon at high noon. We'll settle this once and for all.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 18, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Red Patch,

I eagerly welcome a great Toronto fan base to the league and am contemplating an August roadtrip to the DCU match. What's the lowdown on Toronto? I hear it's a cool city . . but New York City is the most diverse place on the planet . . unless Toronto can rival China Town, Little Italy, Jamaica aka Queens, etc, etc

""We've had parents and grandparents come from all over the world to help weave the fabric of the most diverse city on the Planet""

Posted by: f | May 18, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Canada will never qualify for a World Cup.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 18, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

it's funny how those who place so high a value on diversity of national origin put so little value on diversity of opinions. It's great if you like ethnic restaurants however.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 18, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

According to the data, Vancouver is the most diverse city in Canada.

Posted by: Dave | May 18, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

According to my data, Tysons Corner Center is just about the most diverse place on the planet.

Posted by: Arrrlington | May 18, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

According to Hollywood, Vancouver could probably be any city in the world.

Posted by: TCompton | May 18, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

toronto is a awesome city! i am happy to see their fans representing for mls.

toronto's china town is the best in n. america. yum...

Posted by: dfunkt | May 18, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Toronto is indeed a very diverse city, and a lovely town. Diversity is in the eye of the beholder. Vancouver has more diversity in that there is a much larger population of people from China and South Asia and more people whose native language is not English. Toronto is a melting pot of all cultures, Asian, Hispanic, European, and one of the few places in Canada where you will find significant numbers of African Americans. There are large Italian, English, Scotish, and French descent peoples whose grandparents, and some cases parents, came directly over from these soccer loving countries. Based on that I would believe their fans are knowledgable and probably just plan excited to have some soccer in town. I just hope they don't cry when DCU beats their Canadian (rear-ends) this weekend.

Posted by: T. Henry | May 18, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: T. Henry | May 18, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Have the officials at RFK every thought about putting a second layer on the stadium so that baseball could leave our turf alone!?!?! They could limit the entrances/exits to only lot 8.

Posted by: BFD | May 18, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Too bad Canada will never qualify for a World Cup"

Remember 1986?

Posted by: Erick | May 18, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Well, they sold those 14K season tickets to somebody and it seems like they certainly do have the passion. Toronto is one of my fave cities in the world and it is extremely diverse indeed. And it is a city of ethnic neighborhoods, although I don't think they are as segregated as they once were. Chinatown, Little Italy, Greektown, South Asian enclaves, Caribbean enclaves, etc. The city seems to be getting more and more Asian every day. Each time I go up there I see more and more Asian faces. If you haven't been it is definitely worth a visit. The new stadium sits right off the highway at the Exhibition grounds which are easily reach by streetcar/tram from downtown. You drive right past it on the way into the city from the airport.

Posted by: Glenn | May 18, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

It's been a while since I was last in Toronto, but I remember Toronto as a very clean city and its people very polite... and very will to accept US dollars (make sure you exchange your money at a someplace that'll give you a good deal, otherwise, Cananda will get expensive using US dollars)

In terms of safety, I remember thinking that J-walking was probably their biggest crime at the time, until I saw a fight breakout between a someone who sold a guy a Blue Jays ticket for the previous night's game and the sucker who bought the ticket. The policy showed up on horseback in about 2 minutes to break it up.

Posted by: TCompton | May 18, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The Canadians hurt Heather Mitts. It's time to hurt the Canadians. Get our revenge, Bennie!

Posted by: Joe Doc | May 18, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Interesting discussion... getting back to this weekend's game...

Is Double-D going to be in the line-up for Toronto or did he get a multiple game suspension for the Tyson bite?

Posted by: Mickey | May 18, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

"Have the officials at RFK every thought about putting a second layer on the stadium"

Beisbol brings more money to RFK than futbol, so the stadium authority thinks nothing of tearing up the pitch for baselines and a mound. United didn't have a voice in the matter.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 18, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

just thinking of the future...
is the level of support we see in the teams currently playing in mls going to provide for the new complexion of mls in say the next 10 years? Will we see teams in canada following TFC's lead and teams in america either following kc (diminishing fan support) or dc (strong support)?
I think we could easily see some kind of 50-50 split between canada and usa...

Posted by: mad max | May 18, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff, in terms of players and exposure and experience, whats better for the top players to go 'balls to the wall' per se when it comes to up and coming tourneys like copa america and gold cup? Which do you think is better for the US to bring their 'A' team to?

I think the answer is obvious but i rather see what other say as you senor goff.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 18, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | May 18, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's another view: http://letsallhateto.com/. (I hasten to add that I do not share this view, as my friend and I went to the Toronto International Film Festival last September and had a marvelous time. I envy anyone, such as Goff, who gets paid to visit Toronto.)

Posted by: Go Penn State! | May 18, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse