Phenomenal Goal

As first spotted by Soccer America magazine, we give you Peruvian-born Andres Vasquez, 19, scoring for Gothenburg.

By Steve Goff  |  May 10, 2007; 8:51 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Polish Connection
Next: Moreno Called Up

Comments

That was impressive - the question I have is whether or not he was actually trying to shoot or just cross it.

Apparently a local tv station took him back out to the field to show that he could do it again a day or so later. He pulled it off.

Posted by: tmc | May 10, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

He wins a brand new Volvo!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 10, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

That same move (though it was just a cross) got pulled off in the Milan-Barca friendly at RFK a few years ago.

Posted by: Masked Norteno | May 10, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Is there a reason to use that move - aside from the style element - rather than a more straightforward strike? (I'm honestly asking)

Posted by: Tim | May 10, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Seems like he cleared the defensive pressure and had time for a straight kick - Maybe his weight was on his right leg and with the ball moving away his best option was to cross his left before his space closed?

Had he missed that kick though, he would be answering to a whole differnt set of questions...

Posted by: ML | May 10, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Another graduate of the Facundo Erpen School of Audacious Cheeky Football.

Posted by: jeffresistor | May 10, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Quote: Another graduate of the Facundo Erpen School of Audacious Cheeky Football.

Response: I'm much more comfortable with FESACF tactics at that end of the field than in the land of Boz

Posted by: Anonymous | May 10, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I bet Freddy could do that

Posted by: Save Tibet, Not Iraq | May 10, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

so you're telling me that you favor your left foot. Got it.

Posted by: mosler | May 10, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Marco Etcheverry did this while passing back in '97 I think it was. I remember the ball struck a very surprised Rhett Hardy in the middle of the best, bounced to (I think) Jaime Moreno, who dribbled past Hardy and scored.

Posted by: Ron | May 10, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I think that is a great shot to take as opposed to a driven shot, because the goalie is set in position for a driven shot, and he has not moved out too much to cover a cross. If you are confident, and you have space there is a completely undefendable area just behind the goalie, and it makes for great youtube.

-g

Posted by: greg | May 10, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

All this Facundo bashing is getting old and tiresome.

Posted by: BarraBrava | May 10, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I remember a Preki goal in the MISL that was very similar (now I feel old), just not a chip.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 10, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Does that movement change the spin at all? Anyone have a rough translation of his explanation in the interview?

Posted by: Arrrlington | May 10, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Check out the compilation of similar behind-the-heel shots - a nice classic by Maradona.

Posted by: Mickey | May 10, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

From what I can see, it looks as though it was an in-swinging ball. If you hit an in-swinger from that side of the pitch you need to be goal-side and hitting it with your left foot or hitting it with the outside of you right. He would have got the benefit of hitting an inswinger with his left foot without having to get all the way to the other side of the ball to do it.

Style wise it looks pretty, but there appears to also be plenty of function.

Posted by: I-66 | May 10, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"All this Facundo bashing is getting old and tiresome."

Much agreed.

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 10, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Let's all just agree that Erpen is the worst player ever to put on a DC United uniform and move on.

Posted by: Hoost | May 10, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm not so sure, he hasn't scored a hattrick against his own team.

Posted by: soccernut | May 10, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

what about this goal?:

not a great video, but a hell of a strike.

Posted by: longfellow | May 10, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Apparently this is called a "Rabona"? Never heard of it before. Watching that video reminds me how far we have to go in this country before we play beautiful football. Every kid in every youth league should be shown stuff like this, and then encouraged to go do it in games. We need the creativity.

Posted by: grotus | May 10, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I had a jerk score on a PK in a coed game with this move last week. If it wasn't a coed game, I'd have knocked him on his rear every time he got near the ball the rest of the game as payback.
We do NOT need to show kids this crap.

Posted by: JS | May 10, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

JS, are you sure you like this sport?

Posted by: asfoolasiam | May 10, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

We need these types of goals just like the NBA needs fancy dunks. Sure a tap-in and a layup get the job done but what gets fans in the seats and gets the blood rushing is the amazing feats we should expect from athletes who are paid very well to entertain us.

Posted by: Gustavo | May 10, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"...we should expect from athletes who are paid very well to entertain us."

Guess Gustavo missed the post a week ago about salaries. :-)

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 10, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The utility of that shot is that it comes so fast and is so unexpected, he catches the keeper and the defender's flatfooted and not expecting it. The left center back is staring right at that ball and then out of nowhere comes the chip.

I think too that we should encourage skill like that, but I agree with JS. If it's a coed game and you're doing that on a PK, that's not a lot of class. For that matter, Jaime's take Sunday was a rather insulting move. This one, I don't have a problem with because he did it to catch folks off guard.

Posted by: G-Unit | May 10, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Jaime's PK insulting? Wow....

Posted by: stupefied | May 10, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Jaime takes all the PKs for DC and leads MLS in PK goals. He has to come up with something so that he isn't predictable.

Like you said, it about catching the other team off-guard - and it's not like he burst into a big celebration afterwards.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 10, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

How about Jaime pass to Gomito like the Cruyff PK? I don't think anyone expected that. The little chip is almost as risky if you get a keep that has cat-like reflexes instead of just guessing a side and diving.

Posted by: greg | May 10, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"The little chip is almost as risky if you get a keep that has cat-like reflexes instead of just guessing a side and diving"

But this is the MLS...how many keepers don't just guess a side?

Posted by: CY | May 10, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That took cojones. I'd love to have a player on United with the guts to try that in the run of play.

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 10, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse