Polish Connection

After a day's worth of research (Internet, phones, wild guesses), I've narrowed D.C. United's pursuit of a Polish defender to.....

Bartosz Bosacki, 31 years old, 6 feet 2, Lech Poznan, last-minute call-up to the Polish 2006 World Cup team, scored twice against Costa Rica. Lech Poznan defeated Widzew Lodz, 6-1, tonight. Soehn and Kasper flew to Poland last night, apparently to attend the match and discuss their interest in the player with the club Thursday. I am guessing that this will happen (or not happen) very quickly, perhaps the next two days. The player's salary does not appear to be an issue (probably around 180K to 200K in MLS). The issue is whether DCU could afford to purchase him outright or acquire him on loan. In all likelihood, United would have to wait until the June 15 international window opens to officially sign him.

So will it happen? The consensus is that it's a 50-50 situation. We will keep an eye on things the next few days, but don't get your hopes too high...yet.

Here are his WC goals:

By Steve Goff  |  May 9, 2007; 6:01 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News and Notes
Next: Phenomenal Goal

Comments

A Bosacki to replace a Boswell?

Posted by: Gustavo | May 9, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

A Bosacki to replace a Boswell?

Posted by: Gustavo | May 9, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. A defender who can score...and who has been on two championship teams.

Here's the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartosz_Bosacki

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 9, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I love how Goff isn't interested in just reporting rumors. This man needs to know the answers. And even if he doesn't have the answers, he'll give us answers that will tide us over for a while. We love you, Goffer!

Posted by: Boss T | May 9, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

why would Lech Pozman loan out a 31 year old world cup vet? I could maybe see them doing it during their season, if he didn't fit into this year's plans to save some cash, but loan to another continent in the off season? anyone think of a reason they might do that?

What do you figure the purchase price might be?

Posted by: northzax | May 9, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff, as usual, you're bringin' it strong. Keep it up.

Posted by: DCU4EVAR | May 9, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Based upon the video evidence, I don't think he would be a good fit at DC. Anyone that knows how to score directly off a corner is shunned in these parts.

Posted by: Henchlow | May 9, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Pretty bad goalkeeping on that first goal.

Posted by: Paul | May 9, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Not only Bosacki made it to WC in the very last moment, but these were the only two goals he has ever scored. It's not like he is a bad player, but you can find soooo much better player in Poland (not to mention Europe) for that money.

Choto, Arboleda, Cleber are 3 foreigners playing in Poland I can list in 5 seconds who are a way better than Bosacki at the moment.

Posted by: from Poland | May 9, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh sure. He's a capped veteran who is a threat on set pieces. But can he do a bicycle back-pass?

Nice work Goffward (Goffstein?).

BTW, did anyone in the Insider crowd come up with Bosacki?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 9, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Forget about the YouTube links, we wouldn't be getting him to score goals. If the wikipedia link stats are correct he's scored 4 goals in something like 252 games in the Polish league and Bundesliga.

So in spite of his World Cup heroics he's only slightly more of a scoring threat than Brandon Prideaux.

Posted by: garbaggio | May 9, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

A guy scores in a World Cup, he gets youtube links. :-)

Posted by: Goff | May 9, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth do we want someone who scores goals on corner kicks? Doesn't everyone know that DC United does use corner kicks to score... that just gives up our possession game!

Posted by: TCompton | May 9, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I recall this guy being good but slow. That said, you have to be impressed that he went from last-minute call up to actually starting.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 10, 2007 12:25 AM | Report abuse

31? Sounds like an Ivanov to me. Has the club all but given up on Erpen in the middle?

Posted by: London Dan | May 10, 2007 3:40 AM | Report abuse

Goff at it again!
Not so sure I am thrilled with a 31 year old when my thoughts were already set for a 20 something.

Posted by: JMR | May 10, 2007 6:59 AM | Report abuse

I agree with JMR. We already have more than our share of 30 somethings. Let guys deteriorate on somebody else's dime :))

Posted by: Mitch | May 10, 2007 7:05 AM | Report abuse

If he can replace Facundo "The Bike" Erpen in the lineup, I don't care how old that guy is!

Posted by: Hoost | May 10, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Everyone carping about this guy being 31 should shut it. Who cares? It's not like we wanna sign him to a 10-year deal, for chrissakes! We want help. On Defense. NOW. If this guy can plug a hole in the leaky dam of our defense, then sign him. We'll deal with the team of the future after we're at .500

Posted by: grotus | May 10, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I am a bit skeptical of this move. Do you really need another central defender? What we really need are outside backs with blazing speed. I like the interior tandem of Erpen and Boswell. I'm telling that we should have used our DP spot on Roberto Carlos. He would have addressed a major need.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 10, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Well, if we're sticking to the 4-4-2, there's no reason why Erpen can't go back to right back. He he;d it for a while in a 3-5-2 before opponents began explouiting that, but the same opportunities to exploit a CB in a RB role in a 3-5-2 really aren't there in a 4-4-2, he's got cover and can force the guy outside. Also, Boswell may very well leave at the end of the year, plus, with yellow and red card accumulation, we'll need an extra defender. 31 isn't that old for a good CB. If they like him, they have reasons, and we need depth.

Posted by: DCAustinite | May 10, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and good scouting Goff. If only the press reporters leading up to the Iraq war did as much scouting and checking as you do for soccer...

Posted by: DCAustinite | May 10, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I do think we need an experienced center back on our roster. However, I also agree with DC United Fan in the need for another outside back. We are not a particularly fast team, and I'm looking at our schedule and seeing teams with fast forwards and wide players:

Toronto - Esky, Welsh from what I've seen
Houston - newly-acquired Ngwenya, Mullan
LA - Donovan, Findley, Albright on overlaps
NY - Richards
Chicago - Rolfe
RSL - Cunningham

I wouldn't say we need Roberto Carlos (who would ask for near-Beckham money, despite being unmarketable to the vast majority of the US), but we do need a bit more speed in general.

Still, this has the potential to be a good move. We have a center back with Bundesliga, national team, and WC experience. He doesn't break the bank. If Erpen can't continue his slow improvement from the opening few games, we bring in experience. Our next option at CB with the current roster is McTavish, who by his own admission is more comfortable as an outside back.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 10, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

THis is great info. Of course we need a new defender with WC experience. Get rid of ______ (you know who I mean, I'm so sick of his play I can't bring myself to type his name.....).

Posted by: Hacksaw | May 10, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Roberto Carlos would make Facundo Erpen look like Franz Beckenbaur

Posted by: Kev | May 10, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 10, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

This is a great move. We have no depth in the defense right now, and outside defense is not as critical of a need. I'd like to see Erpen move back out wide. He's a good player most of the time and doesn't deserve to lose a starting role altogether. But as an outside defender he will be less of a liability and will get the opportunity to push forward more as we know he loves to do.

Posted by: Shatz | May 10, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"Right now who are the best outside backs in the world? I can't think of any at the moment."

Zambrotta and Lahm were the picks from last summer's world cup. Hardly household names. Otherwise, Cicinho? Zanetti?

Posted by: Kev | May 10, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse