Robot Dogs Playing Soccer

Check out this interview from The Daily Show With Jon Stewart last night during which author Lee Gutkind talks about robot dogs playing in the 2050 World Cup. Find the show here and clink on Gutkind's video segment. Watch the first two minutes. Funny stuff.

Then watch these match highlights. Kinda looks like Real Salt Lake playing Toronto FC. (We kid because we love.)

By Steve Goff  |  May 8, 2007; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Polska Prospect
Next: Crystal Clear

Comments

The only reason I feel bad making fun of RSL and TFC is because two of my favorite Maryland players went to them.

Poor bastards.

Posted by: Colm | May 8, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

boy, it must be a slow news day . . .

Posted by: d | May 8, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Do they shake hands before the match or sniff butts?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 8, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

shake hands vs. sniff butts
you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to.

The real question is how we can somehow blame Erpen for their poor defending.

Posted by: greg | May 8, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

That's a 1:21 I'll never get back.

Posted by: 6-1, 180 | May 8, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Reminds me of this other awesome game which everyone on here should check out at www.americansubbuteo.com

or

Posted by: Table Soccer | May 8, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Or... big loser?

HA HA HA HA HA!

Posted by: Table Soccer? | May 8, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Mr. Goff. Without the image of FC Toronto and RSL, the game wouldn't have been as humorous.

Posted by: DCFan | May 8, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

But can they play poker?

Posted by: Logan Circle | May 8, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

My school, Georgia Tech, is hosting this year's international Robocup in July which is basically the simulated soccer World Cup of robotics competitions. The level of play may not be up to DC United standards, but I'm going to try to convince our team to at least have a #10 Gomez in White and Gold orchestrating the midfield.

Check it out. Here's the link:

Posted by: BigKahuna | May 8, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

So, is the team on the practice field today and are you able to view them? Anything about the trialist?

Posted by: JMR | May 8, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Subbuteo isn't quite as cool as the robot dogs, but those clips showed some mad skills. If only I hadn't left my late 80's era Dutch vs Russia lightweight bases behind when I went off to college... They were expensive then, but might really be worth something now. They had little dreds on Gullet and Rijkaard and everything.

Wow it really is a slow soccer day.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 8, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I am still confused as to how the robots make the the transition from dogs to Segways to soccer players. The powers that be are already trying to stifle the influence of robots on soccer - what other explanation can there be for the minimal playing time Peter "Robo" Crouch gets despite his prolific goal scoring pace. 26 goals in 2006 - 2007!!!

Posted by: diego r. | May 8, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse