They Are the Champions

If you have taped the Champions League final between Milan and Liverpool and don't want to know the result, go away. Now. I'm not kidding. You've been warned. Okay, I'll give you another minute.

zzzzz
zzzzz
zzzzz stadium? zzzzzz
zzzzz huh? zzzzzzz
zzzzz
zzzzz

As I was saying...

Not exactly an evening of brilliance in Athens, but some drama nonetheless. Inzaghi was fortunate on his first goal, cool on the second one. Liverpool gets one back, but too late. Milan is a deserving champion, no doubt. If Liverpool had gotten to the break scoreless, they would have been in decent shape, but that first goal just before the half was a killer. Nice presentation by ESPN.

(My predictions of the winner and final score were correct, the manner was not. I thought it would be decided in OT.)

Share your thoughts with Insider Nation here.....

As a bonus, check out this clip of Inzaghi from last year. While the goal is quality, the audio is phenomenal.

By Steve Goff  |  May 23, 2007; 4:39 PM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Willis Gone
Next: Champions Trivia

Comments

Tough to live up to that 05' match in Instanbul.

With that being said, another ho-hum cup final. It was clear what Milan's game plan was. New England Revs could be very proud of that effort (aside from Steve Nicol. Score first, defend in numbers.

Posted by: A Rickey | May 23, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

It was a classic in comparison to the FA Cup Final. Full credit to Milan who took their chances - and to Inzaghi for not getting out of the way fast enough for the first.

I really thought Liverpool might have forced extra time after the Kuyt goal, but it didn't happen. The ref was a little stingy with the injury time.

Posted by: Kev | May 23, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Few things please me as much as seeing Pippo Inzaghi continue to torment opponents. And yes, I acknowledge he torments them in many different ways -- like the time-wasting writhing after being hit with the ball late in the game.

I'm guessing I'm thing only one here who will sing Pippo's praises. But someone has to ...

- Jon DeNunzio

Posted by: Goff's Editor | May 23, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

He was UEFA's Man of the Match, Jon. Someone out there loves him.

It was Milan's best player who won it for them, Kaka. Drew the foul to set up Pirlo's free kick. Then played a beautiful ball into Inzaghi for the winner.

Posted by: Kev | May 23, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Arrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! A victory by a hand ball?????? UFB. Not a good result. GO Liverpool. I am so dissapointed they did not get a 1st half goal. Ugh. Sigh. Congrats AC Milan.

Posted by: T. Henry | May 23, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The firsy goal should have been disallowed. The ball deflected off of Inzaghi's arm, hence the referee should have called a handball. I wasn't really impressed with the game at all. Kaka had one nice move, and that was about it. So now that the Champions League is over, and the rest of the World winds up with their seasons, everyone can focus their attention on the drama of the MLS. hahahah, just kidding.

Posted by: DC United Fan | May 23, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

as for the game:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

whats with the lack of HD broadcast?

Posted by: pino | May 23, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I've always found Inzaghi a very fascinating player. I wouldn't say I sing his praises, but you have to say that there has probably not been anyone as elusive in this generation. The time he let the ball through his legs, he managed to go from having a triangle of defenders around him to unmarked by stopping in place. If you want to show a young forward how to get open, you let him watch Inzaghi.

Of course, you then follow up with an equal amount of players being honest and getting on with the game rather than his excited flailing, as we saw late on.

Has there ever been a better career summary within one match than this was for Pippo? Accidental goal, cool finish after just barely breaking an offsides trap, writhing in an attempt to waste time. You couldn't have done it better.

Liverpool had the run of play, but had few ideas and very poor crossing. Milan, even with having less of the ball, always seemed more dangerous. Once Liverpool had to throw men forward (which I felt they were too nonchalant about...there was little urgency in how they did it until very, very late), I felt like a second Milan goal was incredibly likely.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | May 23, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

If you were watching one of the many replays of the second goal, you would have seen Inzaghi never looking up to see where Reina was and then badly scuffing the shot. Not the stuff of greatness, right?

Posted by: Johnny Bravo | May 23, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

if you are really really picky then why wasn't gattuso's hand ball in the box called in the 27th?

Posted by: Pancho J | May 23, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

As I predicted, Cheating Third Place Italians 2-1 Underwhelming Third Place Scousers!

Posted by: Eric | May 23, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 23, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"Was that audio from the TV broadcast or just two guys watching the game in their living room? Sounds to me like the latter."

Sounded a little like the Italian version of that "Fox Fans" game that FSC shows every Thursday night with two fans doing their own commentary during the game.

Posted by: Juan-John | May 23, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"Sounded a little like the Italian version of that "Fox Fans""

Ahhhh. It's Mystery Football Theater 3000 without the robots.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | May 23, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

DC United Fan wrote:
"The first goal should have been disallowed. The ball deflected off of Inzaghi's arm, hence the referee should have called a handball."

I only saw this on a so-so replay, but it looked like a classic case of the ball playing the hand instead of the hand playing the ball. In fact, I thought he was moving his arm away from the ball just before it hit. The way refs are instructed to call handballs these days, they were right to ignore this.

Posted by: Goff's Editor | May 23, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

What is the UEFA? Who are the Liverpool? And why is Milan Ack?

Posted by: entropy | May 24, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

What's with this Goff's Editor character? Jon are you angling for a promotion with the success of this blog? Or is it just that Goff warrants a copy editor now that readership is so high and it's a good way to slack at work like the rest of us?

I watched this game tonight so that there was no chance of accidentally scrolling through American Drivel. I think they both were torture, but this game was slightly better.

Check that, watching u-12 rec league is still better than Idol.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 24, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

at work late, and then decided to catch up on some soccer news...for some reason. Anyway, I went to ESPN for the first time in ages. Boy, their coverage is second rate to yours, Goff. I won't waste my time there again...

(BTW, I'm not Goff's editor, nor am I a family member.) J

Posted by: jj | May 24, 2007 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Liverpool should have brought Crouch in much earlier (like around the 60th minute, if not sooner). Kuyt simply wasn't threatening enough on his own up top, and Gerrard had about as much of an impact as Gomez has had this season.

I hate Italian soccer.

Posted by: AlecW81 | May 24, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

"FWIW, Kuyt's goal was offside, but I wouldn't expect Tommy "Blind as a Bat" Smyth to catch it."

I think the ball came off Maldini's shoulders to Kuyt.

Posted by: highbury | May 24, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Pennant couldn't deliver a decent cross. Tommy who cares how often he gets down the wing, it just doesn't matter.

Posted by: Mudcat | May 24, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

That first foul on Kaka that resulted in a goal was bogus. It was shoulder to shoulder and Kaka dropped when he felt the contact.

That being said, Liverpool had no idea what to do in the attacking third. Benitez let the team down with that formation. They were depending on scoring by pumping in crosses to just one striker in the box?

Posted by: Skippy | May 24, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Some people say that Kaka is the player of the year. Do you want someone who flops at shoulder-to-shoulder contact the way that he did being the face of football?

And I wonder why my co-workers said "oh, soccer" each time they came in the lunchroom yesterday and complained about the amount of acting goes on...

Posted by: Rob | May 24, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse