Y'all Come Back, Ya Hear?

New blog numbers are in: Hits on the Soccer Insider increased 47 percent in the past month to become the second most popular sports blog on washingtonpost.com behind the Redskins. The brilliant Sports Bog is a strong third. Thanks to Insider Nation, we had more hits than the Nats, NFL, Wizards and Caps combined. (Be sure to click on these very important links.)

We're just scratching the surface. Spread the word.

Thank you for your support!

SG

By Steve Goff  |  May 20, 2007; 4:42 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FA Cup Flashback
Next: MLS Wrap

Comments

Beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon, and here I am checking the Insider. Keep up the great work!

Posted by: ML | May 20, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

The Soccer Insider is hands down the best DCU blog and probably the best Soccer blog in this country. Kudos, Goff. You can count on multiple daily hits from this IP.

Posted by: NattyBo | May 20, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

how close are we to the 'skins? We should be able to overtake that crappy team too.

Posted by: Glenn | May 20, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

redskins are out of reach...

Posted by: goff | May 20, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

all this while almost never appearing on the blogroll out front? great job! of course, now the powers that be will probably decide that this was all Goff (which is true) and that you should now be covering a 'revenue sport' like the freakin' NatsBlog, since everyone knows that no one really likes soccer.

Posted by: northzax | May 20, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Goffinho,

I'm hooked. If things continue like they are, I'll be hitting the Insider ~26 times a day by June. Keep it up!

RJ

P.S. Yes, the Redskins are out of reach...for now. Just wait 'til Shevo comes over. Redskins Shmedskins.

P.P.S. We can all dream sometimes, right?

Posted by: RJ | May 20, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

This thing is like a drug.

Posted by: Dave | May 20, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Well done and well deserved.

Soccer Insider continues to be essential (multiple times a day) reading.

Posted by: Aljarov | May 20, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanx, Goff. I am totally addicted to this Blog. For instance, I just got home from the Nats/Os game (damn Os bullpen) and I had to log on and check what I may have missed while I was out.

I think you have created such a wonderful community here not to mention a soccerinsider junkie here.

PS Is that you w/ the mullet in the Caps link or are you the one on the left in the NFL link?

Posted by: SLB | May 20, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SLB | May 20, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

It's nice when you break stories a few hours (even days) in advance, but I particularly like the times when you pursue/break stories that might not have come out otherwise. Obviously, those are tougher to get, but please keep digging! There's a lot that the public (me) wants to know about the behind the scenes stuff at DCU.

Posted by: RB | May 20, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

It just goes to show how big soccer is the Washington D.C. metro area. Goff does an excellent job of maintaining, and informing breaking soccer/futbol news quicker, and more accurate then any other news source. I hope that the Post would be compensating handsomly. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!! GO UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DCUnitedFan | May 20, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your work Mr. Goff. The DC SportsBog jumped the shark when Agent Zero went down and everybody but Steiny was doing the NCAA coverage. I think the whole new kid thing and BogTV went to his head. Don't tell him I said that though.

Posted by: sitruc | May 20, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"I hope that the Post would be compensating handsomly."

- I'm sure they're just passing the ad revenue from his page directly on to him. ;)

Posted by: bbarrie | May 20, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Stevooooooo

A great blog in the true spirit of enterprise journalism.

Keep it up

Posted by: crowbar | May 20, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Stevooooooo

A great blog in the true spirit of enterprise journalism.

Keep it up

Posted by: crowbar | May 20, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff. Hopefully this might mean more coverage in the Post proper.

Posted by: Kinney | May 20, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Will Chang should scoop up the Goffer and add his prodiguous talents to the DCU organization

Posted by: Diego R. | May 20, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Best US/MLS blog on the net from a FCD fan/local.

Posted by: Mark in NRH | May 20, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding! With the majority of traditional sports writers and columnists not as familiar with soccer, soccer fans turn to alternative forums like this blog or bigsoccer. Who cares if the Redskins blog is numerically out of reach. Clearly you have reached your audience and connected. Fantastic stuff!

Posted by: Mark | May 21, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

You weren't supposed to tell the Bogman about the comments attributed to me earlier.... Next you'll tell me this is a public board for everybody to see and not the place to admit to liking synchronized swimming even outside of the Olympics.

Posted by: sitruc | May 21, 2007 12:49 AM | Report abuse

"Best US/MLS blog on the net from a FCD fan/local.

Great numbers even with an underachieving team. Once DCU finds its groove it will be interesting to see the hits on this blog explode."

Listen, dude: DC United fans show up all the time, win or lose. The blog-addicted portion of us is no exception.

More than I can say for some winning teams that have nice, new stadiums.

Posted by: Joe S. | May 21, 2007 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Well done Goff. I think you're stealing market share from BigSoccer.

Posted by: London Dan | May 21, 2007 3:26 AM | Report abuse

"More than I can say for some winning teams that have nice, new , but practically empty stadiums"

Joe S., fixed your post.

Posted by: Ron | May 21, 2007 6:45 AM | Report abuse

It's a pretty telling sign when fans of other teams feel the need to read the Insider, even when we're not having the best season. It either means that Goff is the greatest, or everyone still wants to be DC United.

Seriously, The Insider keeps us expat United fans living in faraway, soccer-barren lands in the know and connected. Great work, Goff!

Posted by: grotus | May 21, 2007 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff - Sheva mentions playing in the MLS and it turns out his wife's family lives in DC...you think that Payne could give him a call?

Last question here (sorry to link a competitor),

Posted by: London Dan | May 21, 2007 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Even though you don't know anything about Wynne, congrats!

Goff,

Since you have been to most, if not all, of the MLS markets who has the best soccer coverage outside of DC? Who are your favorite away team writers to work with?

The last few weeks I have been in Houston, Chicago and Boston and the difference in coverage and knowledge is night and day. I have to say the Houston Chronicle and Washington Post are light years ahead of the Boston Post and Chicago Trib. What are your thoughts?

Posted by: Southeasterner | May 21, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Great work.

Where can Washingtonians watch the Champions League Final LIVE on Wednesday afternoon?
Thanks

Posted by: Ben | May 21, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Champions League final is on ESPN2. Pregame show starts at 2 p.m., match begins at 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: Goff | May 21, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for catering to the Internet Nuts!

Posted by: Kim | May 21, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Is it too early to crown Goff King of the Internet Nuts? One post entitled "Fire Soehn!" and I feel the title is his.

Posted by: Mark R. | May 21, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Soccer Insider Rocks!!!!

Maybe now that you have the hits, the Washpost web editors will put you on the "NEWS COLUMNS AND BLOGS" section on the front page.

Who should we write to if they don't?

Posted by: JTR | May 21, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations are due for Soccer Insider. The community here is great, I too find myself coming back several times a day so as not to miss anything. Thanks Steve for a fantastic place for us die hards to communicate. The knowledge and spirit of the participants to Soccer Insider make it a great on-line community. Keep it up and enjoy everybody.

Posted by: sbg | May 21, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Goff, You should pull a Tanya Harding on JLaC and steal his fanbase. The Redskin Insider is a great community (been a long-time reader of both) but is nowhere near as good of an example of 21st-century journalism as the Soccer Insider. It's telling that you draw readership from all the other teams' fans who want to be in the know about breaking soccer news. Kudos.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | May 21, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Well maybe your editors will notice and start putting soccer coverage a little more front and center in the paper. Case in point: DC's win on Saturday is relegated to the inside while the Mystics (ooohhh, they drew all of 8,000 in attendance) were on the front page.
It's crap - DC United needs to get the respect they deserve; or should I say YOU need to get the respect you deserve for such good coverage of the team and sport.

Posted by: Dave | May 21, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I did notice the Mystics' front-page placement. Haven't stopped shaking my head since. SEASON opener draws all of 8K, they lose and they're on the front page. Not sure about the news judgment on that one.

Posted by: Goff | May 21, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

What is up with the front page of WaPo.com? I read it all the time but I never even knew about this blog until today when I saw a link on http://redbulls.theoffside.com/

I left DC for NYC this year but I will continue to read this with interest. I've always admired the Washington Post's great soccer coverage. Keep up the geat work.

Posted by: Andrea | May 21, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

congrats! You've done really well. I'd love to know the exact figures (as I'm a geek in this internet content area) to guess the revenue you bring in...but it's great just to know that you're kicking butt.

Posted by: jj | May 21, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Steve! Congrats! Keep up the good work. You need more space in the regular paper!

Posted by: Dan | May 21, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Your 'spread the word' wish is my command:

Posted by: seahawkdad | May 21, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The Republic of South Texas soccer fans are also avidly following your blog and restating what we wrote back in 1999:

"The Washington Post in general, and Steven Goff in particular, cover soccer better than any other U.S. media..."

That continues to be as true today as it was before... Keep it up, Steve.

Posted by: efren palacios | May 21, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Gracias, South Texas!

Posted by: Goff | May 21, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve -
Congrats and I repeat all the praise that has already been showered upon you above.

With the power of translation software now, have the Post Editors set aside a specific area for an English / Spanish soccer column you could write. Increased circulation in the hispanic community maybe one way to increase coverage by the Post!

Posted by: DCU Fan | May 21, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Very unlikely. My guess is that the Post relies strictly on its local paper, El Tiempo Latino, for Spanish stories.

Posted by: Goff | May 21, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Steve. Well deserved - I keep checking back because you keep posting the stuff I want to know about.

Posted by: Jeff M | May 22, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse