10,000 and Counting

Congrats to Insider loyalist "RK" for his Vegas comment on the previous thread. It was No. 10,000 in our blog's very short, barely illustrious history! To acknowledge this grand achievement, I am rewarding each and every one of you with a free, one-year subscription to the Insider. Really, no charge. You can thank me later.

;-)

By Steve Goff  |  June 5, 2007; 5:03 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Women's Team, Open Cup and MLS
Next: Yesterday's Friendlies

Comments

vegas.... anybody want to go to spearmint rhino right about now?

Posted by: soccer clocker | June 5, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

With all the double and triple posts, it's probably only 3000, but I digress...

Translated into dollars and cents -- at 3 minutes for the average post (averaging out between the long-winded typers, slow responses, and double posts) and an average DC metro salary of between 85-95K per year (for people online everyday), You've helped kill productivity by a good $20,000 in a few short months. That's just for the posters, not including all the myriad of bystanders who read, but don't talk. Way to go!

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 5, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Leesburg ... with all the time it took you to figure that out, I think we just bumped the amount of money wasted (though Goff, I do'nt think of this as wasting ... I think of this as therapy without the Tony Soprano psychosis) to $21,000.

Posted by: G-Unit | June 5, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

All I know is that last semester I had my highest-ever semester GPA, graduated college, got into grad school and was offered a scholarship...all while reading Goff's blog.

Coincidence? I think not.

I look at reading Soccer Insider more as an investment for my future, and less as a tool of procrastination.

Posted by: Dave | June 5, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Thankfully, we (the readership) are not collectively under a MLS Developmental contract.

Posted by: B.A. | June 5, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I couldn't agree with you more.

Posted by: RJ | June 5, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Goff -- so how much later do you want us to thank you? After the 20,000th post? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I was at spearmint rhino last week. All I have to say is "Oh My God, Let it Rain!!!!!"

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 5, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 5, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 5, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I aplogize for the triple post, but it helps the count, right?

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 5, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Dave, unless you plan on replacing Goff as blogger extrodinaire when he takes over the world, or were doing some weird sports management major with an emphasis on arcane salary caps and oppressive contract negotiations a la MLS--it is by definition procrastination. Congrats however.

We all procrastinate, but only Goff and soccer editor Jon DeNunzio get paid to do it here.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 5, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but 9,000 of those comments were spam for prescription drugs and hardcore sex sites.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | June 5, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Goff / Bog 2008 !!!

Posted by: diego r. | June 5, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I might not have time to thank you later, or I might forget, so I'll just thank you now and get it over with. better not procrastinate a thank you on top of procrastinating my work, that would just not make sense.

Posted by: doug | June 5, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

If demographics count, you're reaching a wide swath. Dave above got his best semester GPA just now, while my last GPA was nearly half a century ago. In the interim, I managed to get hooked on soccer through the 94 World Cup and DC United, as well as kid's soccer. This ultimately involved giving up season tickets to the Redskins (grid ball, I concluded, is a very slow and boring game) and getting them for DC United. I don't know if breadth helps or hurts you with the powers that be at the Post, but you have it. Keep up the good work. I visit several times a day.

Posted by: Other Dave | June 5, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I am going to grad school for sport management...uh-oh...

Posted by: Dave | June 5, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait...the rest of you aren't getting paid to comment here? Wait, nevermind.

Posted by: Arrrlington | June 5, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Get your kids to stop posting.

Posted by: Kim | June 5, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the free subscription, i appreciate it.

Posted by: ngu | June 5, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I don't know what to say. Maybe this was an omen -- maybe I should put, say, $10,000 on the Atlanta Silverbacks to win the US Open Cup in Las Vegas this weekend. Or my old team, Portner's United.

Posted by: RK | June 5, 2007 11:45 PM | Report abuse

off topic-

I'm a huge mexican fan, just watched friendly, C. Blanco is a disgrace, i want the mls to succeed and i love dc united but why does mls want him, he needs to be kicked off mexico for his antics against paraguay....does mls need his anger, a waste of money, find someone else to fill the seats, a waste of money, enjoy Fire!

Posted by: Andy G. | June 6, 2007 1:33 AM | Report abuse

1-0 loss in Azteca. Ouch. How is the new super-coach explaining this one away? Nothing like a loss at home just before the Gold Cup.

Anyway, this blog rocks. Lots of good info. You should get the Post to put some sponsor ads on this blog... take a cut for yourself....

Posted by: Hacksaw | June 6, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Goff shots. Nothing but Goff shots.

Oh, wait, that was SportsCenter...

(Delayed reaction: Hermosa Beach? Goff has good taste.)

Posted by: Transplanted Buckeye in SoCal | June 6, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse