Beckham, Anyone?

About two-thirds of the tickets available for the Beckham-Galaxy visit to RFK Stadium on Aug. 9 are gone -- and the general sale has yet to begin.

United has sold approximately 30,000 in advance to season ticket holders, groups and partial-plan buyers, leaving 12,500 for those interested in purchasing tickets to the L.A.-D.C. game only. Another 2,500 premium seats have been set aside for fans still interested in season tickets or a five-game plan. If those are not bought, they will be released into the general purchasing pool as the match approaches.

All single-game tickets for Beckham's only visit to D.C. are $35 and for the upper deck only. They will go on sale Monday. (Groups of 20 or more can get a discount.) Contact Ticketmaster via phone or Internet, or call the team at RFK.

There are two five-game plans from which to choose:
-- L.A., New England, Real Salt Lake, Columbus and MLS Cup
-- L.A., New York, Chicago, Columbus and MLS Cup

On a side note, can you imagine the traffic getting to RFK for the Beckham game?? (A Thursday night rush hour, 7 p.m. kickoff, sellout crowd.) You might want to leave now.

Other DCU news:

-- Veteran defender John Wilson will be waived today, clearing a senior roster spot.

-- United will learn its U.S. Open Cup round-of-16 opponent tonight when USL2's Harrisburg (Pa.) plays PDL's Ocean City (N.J.). If Ocean City pulls an upset, United will host July 10 at Maryland SoccerPlex. If Harrisburg wins, United will play the Islanders July 11 at Hempfield High School in Landisville, Pa.

By Steve Goff  |  June 26, 2007; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zzzzzzz
Next: Red Bulls Shake-Up?

Comments

I feel like I should rent out a room or something so folks can walk to the stadium ... I pity the poor fools who have to deal with that traffic!

Posted by: Near RFK | June 26, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see that DC United is clearing out the remaining defenders we have to sign non-defenders. Couldn't we sign Mediate to a developmental contract and save the senior roster spot for a defender. Please!

Posted by: diego r. | June 26, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds that we see Burch at left back Thursday, with Gros moved to midfield? It seems Moose is the likely replacement for Olsen, but the coaching staff is high on both of them.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 26, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Mediate is too old for a developmental contract -- and there's no guarantee he will even be signed. The club also has the option of dropping a senior player (McTavish?) to developmental to open up yet another senior slot.

Posted by: Goff | June 26, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I realize it's dictated by TV but these 7:00 start times for weeknight game are an absolute disaster. Wed/Thur night games should start at 8:00...

Posted by: Work in Virginia | June 26, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Did I miss an announcement regarding Beckham's injury? Is he OK? Will he play in August? It doesn't seem like a good sign that MLS is being deliberately silent on the issue.

Posted by: Terp | June 26, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The possibility of United playing at a High School is quite amusing.

Posted by: Pino | June 26, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The possibility of United playing at a High School is quite amusing.

The Diplomats did it for a year or two.

Posted by: burd | June 26, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The possibility of a road trip to a place called "Hempfield High" is also quite amusing...I thought that's where all our roadtrips ended up...

Posted by: anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riz | June 26, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

And where are the Dips today?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he means drop McTavish as in waive. I think it's just from senior roster to reserve.

Posted by: quartervolley.com | June 26, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"And where are the Dips today?"

Hempfield High, maybe? ;-)

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Dropping McTavish would be dangerous, as he's been Boswell's backup when he's out or on international duty."

Dropping him from the Senior Roster to the Developmental Roster, NOT altogether. It's an option to free up a SENIOR roster spot. We still have an extra developmental spot, because we dropped Kiki Willis (to give us TWO open developmental slots--signing Mupier fills one).

Posted by: Daniel Stohr | June 26, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Boswell should be dropped to the developmental squad until he develops some speed and smarts...or dropped all together.

Posted by: Drop Boswell | June 26, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Posted by: Terp | June 26, 2007 01:41 PM
---------------

Beckham is under contract with Real Madrid through 6/30. MLS or LA Galaxy cannot comment on a player that isn't actually "theirs" yet.

Real Madrid (as they have no more games in the next 4 days) see no need to provide a status update.

I'm hoping Beckham is recovering with some great doctors/trainers (he can afford them)and he will be prepared and fit for his busy schedule this summer/fall.

Posted by: Injury status | June 26, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I remember going to see Dips games at Woodson High School back, -- oh what was it -- in the mid to late 1970's? The stadium was not very full, and by then the handwriting was on the wall for the good ol' Dips. It was nice going to see pro soccer for a few bucks per ticket 3 miles from my house, though...

Posted by: Ron | June 26, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear, groups of 20 or more have been able to buy for just this single game since June 4th. I'm 100% on this as I bought 80 of them myself.

Posted by: Kire | June 26, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Kire, a pox on all your houses. Bringing in screaming 14 year old girls. I'm wearing ear plugs for this game, and I don't wear them even though I sit next to the Screaming Eagles and sing along with them.

Of course, if your group learns to sing and support the Red and Black, I can forgive you.

Posted by: G-Unit | June 26, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of indivisual game tickets, is there any word of when individual tickets go on sale for the SuperLiga home games against the Mexican teams? As of now, they ae only still available through "season tickets" for DC United.

Posted by: Sideshow Bob | June 26, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Cursed Hempfield!! They were my arch-rival high school when i went to Manheim Township in Lancaster, PA. I hate them even more now for being able to host a DC United game on their home turf over my high school. I might make the trip back up to PA just to boo Hempfield once again. Ironically, their school colors are black and red. Maybe they're not so bad after all.

Posted by: Boss T | June 26, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm actually serious about this post. Why not drop Boswell to developmental status? We'd open another senior roster spot. Any tiny amount of money he loses would be regained in contract negotiations next year if he stays. If we lose him to elsewhere, we'll squeeze him for all he's worth before wishing him well on his way. Remember that "love of the game" thread earlier? Lets see if he's serious.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 26, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Bah, wcrew all this beckham talk, come on, Goff, who did we sign?

Posted by: DCAustinite | June 26, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

LeesburgSoccerFan, proving that insanity doesn't have to be the sole province of the BigSoccer message boards!

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 26, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"Hempfield High"

Olsen's hair and beard will grow back for this, man.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 26, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't RFK hold more than 45,000 seats at full capacity? Didn't we fit a 50,000 plus crowd for MLS Cup 1997?

So why aren't more seats available for the Beckham match?

Rush hour? People, there is a Metro station a five minute walk from the stadium. If you choose to drive, you have no sympathy from me.

Posted by: J | June 26, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

J - don't forget they took out a big chunk of the stands since 1997 for the homewreckers...er... Nationals.

Posted by: Boss T | June 26, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

G-Spot, I mean G-Unit, only a couple of kids in the whole group. It's my alumni club plus friends, many have been to games before.

Besides, getting kids into the game is what's needed if the sport is gonna grow in this country. I know we all want to see that!

Posted by: Kire | June 26, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

J - I think Tom Cruise gets his own section for his entourage of wackos

I bought 35 tickets the day they were released and I am way up in the upper deck. Was anyone able to score large groups of lower bowl tickets?

It will be a very interesting sight if Beckham doesn't play. Would they put Donovan in a Beckham jersey and hope nobody figures it out? "Mom I wanna squat and take PK's just like Beckham!"

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 26, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

More credit to you my friend then. Perhaps I should buy you a beer at the game. The least I owe you.

And about the kids ... absolutely, but sell them on the atmosphere like what happened two Saturday nights ago, when the Eagles had tons of kids in jerseys tugging their parents down afterwards to watch them sing on their way out. United is doing a good job selling the game and the experience.

As many have said, I think MLS needs to be wary (and I think they are with restricting the DP slots) of selling one superstar player who is most famous for looking hott (though I think he does all the little things right and is a better player than many on here have given him credit for). He's an inspiration to watch, as he gets things done despite his lack of pace and athletic ability.

But, Kire, my apologies for assuming a large group like that was going to be a youth side. It's just my worry for the game. Fourteen year old girls squealing "Daaaaaavvvid" at the top of their lungs just doesn't sound that appealing to me though ... sorry. The beer offer stands.

Posted by: G-Unit | June 26, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I was extremely surprised by this article:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the Stanley Cup finals clincher -- and that was just for the soccer game's Spanish-language telecast.

The United States' 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Mexico on Sunday received a 2.5 fast national rating on Univision, the network said Tuesday. That translates to 2.83 million households, nearly double the 1.48 million homes that watched the 2005 Gold Cup final between the United States and Panama.

This year's English-language telecast was on the Fox Soccer Channel, which is available in about 30 million homes and is not rated.

Anaheim's series-ending 6-2 victory over Ottawa in the Stanley Cup on June 6 received a 1.8 rating on NBC, which comes to 2,005,000 households.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and a ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

I think we are seeing the beginning of real soccer interest in the USA.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

That's real soccer interest amongst viewers of Univision, who presumably already are interested in soccer--at least, soccer featuring El Tri. It's an interesting statistic, and it proves that there's a soccer audience out there. But I wouldn't hang my hat on that article.

Posted by: DWE4 | June 26, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Eh not really, Mexico in the final means a lot more people watch it, thats really all there is to it. I doubt most americans even knew the game was on.

Posted by: matt | June 26, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what the ratings for World Cup games last year on Univision looked like to compare them to the game on Sunday.

Posted by: Vic | June 26, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to point out that we're not playing Argentina three times in the Copa. It seems people are assuming we'll get killed in the opener and that will be that. Paraguay looks winnable on paper, which would mean we'd have to at least get a point against Columbia. Not easy, not as ralph wiggum might say, unpossible.

Posted by: dontcryforme | June 26, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

G-Unit deserves credit for the proper spelling of the word "hott" in this conversation.

Posted by: Shatz | June 26, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

True story, I went to the Hempfield High prom with some girl who's name I now forget. BTW... that is nowhere near Harrisburg. It's about 30 min from Pittsburgh. Not sure why that is the venue.

Posted by: Greifie | June 26, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

To tie these together -- looking at the Open Cup brackets, if the Islanders beat DC and then the Revs, they could play LA, so maybe David Beckham could end up playing at Hempfield High on September 4.

Posted by: gringo | June 26, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I disagree that the ratings number means nothing. I have a number of friends who usually don't care about soccer except every four years but told me they caught the Gold Cup Final on FSC. And while the FSC broadcast was surely not that significant, when you add it up with the Univision ratings (which probably included a decent amount of viewers not interested in Mexico simply because they prefer the Univision broadcast to Fox Soccer), its a decent showing.

As for the Beckham game, while I agree that I have no interest in hearing 30,000 screaming little girls, the most annoying part of that problem is when families bring them and sit near the Brava or Screaming Eagles. I know I plan on being loud and profane and I just don't want some family complaining because of kiddie ears nearby.

Posted by: G-Dub | June 26, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

EdTheRed: what's insane about that? Correct my ignorance, oh most wise...

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 26, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

-----

Not sure what school you are thinking of but this one, Hempfield High, where United will play, is next to Lancaster, which is east of Harrisburg. From DC, I95, to Baltimore Beltway, to I83, to York, and then head east a bit. Yes?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Hempfield Area High School in Hempfield Township near Greensburg, PA...

There should be a rule against 2 high schools with the same name in the same state.

Glad to know that this is a home game for at least one of the teams.

Posted by: Greifie | June 26, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hempfield is about halfway between Lancaster and Harrisburg just off of route 283

Posted by: A Rickey | June 26, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"...which probably included a decent amount of viewers not interested in Mexico simply because they prefer the Univision broadcast to Fox Soccer..."

Or simply don't have digital cable and thus wouldn't be able to watch it in English, anyway.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 26, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

And Goff, just outta curiosity, have you heard anything about advance ticket sales for the New York and Boston games?

Posted by: Juan-John | June 26, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Nope.

Posted by: Goff | June 26, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

As a resident of the school district, I can assure you all the Hempfield High in question is the one in Lancaster County, not near Pittsburgh. The City Islanders have played a number of games in this area as there is a HUGE soccer following here.

It is a nice stadium but there will be pointyball lines. http://www.hempfieldsd.org/6071921215122240/lib/6071921215122240/Directions_to_Hempfield_High.pdf

Posted by: Hempfield Black Nights | June 26, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Hemp fields are illegal in the United Sates. You must be thinking of Canada.

Posted by: Drug Czar | June 26, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Just watch, this will be the one and only game LA looks decent. At least Tina won't be here to grab his crotch.

Posted by: Hoost | June 26, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

City Islanders Win!

Harrisburg beat Ocean City 2-1 in what the Barons' web site calls a "thriller."

(http://www.sjbarons.com/OceanCityBarons/index_E.html)

So DCU at Harrisburg, July 11 -- at Hempfield High. Sounds like a good story ...

-- Jon DeNunzio

Posted by: Goff's Editor | June 26, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm not really sure why a big chunk of the soccer-viewing audience is discounted because it's Mexican or Spanish-speaking. Univision is a U.S. channel.

The overall point is, to me, there's a big audience out there for soccer on American TV.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Americans who actually have FSC were watching the game. I believe ESPN was showing poker, again.

Posted by: Joe S. | June 27, 2007 3:18 AM | Report abuse

We should get Bara-Brava and the Screaming Eagles to take over the high school July 11th!
I'm impressed that soccer seems to FINALLY be make deep inroads into American culture. It's about freaking time!! I too watched the Dips play and Woodson. It was great to see these guys play but how pathetic to plat at a high school....oh wait...isn't DCU doing that? Uh oh!

Posted by: DCU in PA | June 27, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

G-Unit,

No problemo. Let's be honest, it certainly wasn't an unlikely scenario! lol

But I'm afraid I have some bad news for you. I think you're theory that 'screaming girls' ends at 14-15 years old is incorrect. I can tell you right now that the 20,30,40 and 50 year olds in my group well, they may drown them out! As one of the United players said when Beckham was first signed- 'This is a great day for American women'. I'm not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but there's no swimming against this current!

Southeaster,

Only the upper bowl was available the day group tix went on sale (at least for group sales). My United rep had all my information the day before and we got the first six rows of a section but there was no doing any better than that.

On a side note, my barber is from Argentina and I was just by for a haircut. He CAN NOT stand Hugo Sanchez. I haven't seen someone that happy in quite some time. It's soooo nice to cause Mexican soccer such suffering!

Posted by: Kire | June 27, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

G-Unit,

No problemo. Let's be honest, it certainly wasn't an unlikely scenario! lol

Southeaster,

Posted by: Kire | June 27, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Tix are onsale for that Harrisburg City/DCU game on the Harrisburg website (http://www.cityislanders.com). And if you come up tonight for the game against the Whitecaps, you can get 'em for half price.

Posted by: stevo | June 27, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Leesburg, while you might not be fully satisfied with Boswell's play thus far this season, the notion that the team would downgrade the reigning MLS Defender of the Year to a developmental contract is, well, ludicrous. This is especially so considering that he only makes $30K as it is. Granted, he turned down a new offer so he can test the free agency waters when his current deal expires, but still...the developmental roster is for "developmental" players, not members of the previous season's MLS Best XI who are in a bad run of form.

To further elaborate, it would be difficult to attract quality free agents, or to sign new deals with current players, if a team were to treat its top players the way you suggest. Maybe Boswell isn't playing up to your standards thus far this season, but the team is most assuredly getting its $30,000 worth out of him. There is also the concept of goodwill at work. Last year United got the MLS Defender of the Year for $30,000. Reducing his salary to $17,000 or less this year is a completely absurd notion.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 27, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

beckham is really a marketing man! he can make any club get richer and richer.

Posted by: cahyo | June 27, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse