Copa Roster Unveiled

Okay, after much delay, here is YOUR U.S. national team for Copa America.....

GKs: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kasey Keller (Moenchengladbach).

Ds: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Bobby Boswell (D.C. United), Dan Califf (Aalborg), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Drew Moor (Dallas), Heath Pearce (Nordsjælland), Marvell Wynne (Toronto).

MFs: Kyle Beckerman (Colorado), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg), Eddie Gaven (Columbus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Justin Mapp (Chicago), Lee Nguyen (PSV Eindhoven), Ben Olsen (D.C. United).

Fs: Charlie Davies (Hammarby), Herculez Gomez (Colorado), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City), Taylor Twellman (New England).

"Copa America is going to be a great opportunity for our younger players to gain invaluable experience at the highest international level," Bob Bradley said. "Playing two major tournaments back-to-back is both a privilege and a difficult challenge in terms of putting together rosters, and this is something we've known all along. This group has many of the faces that could play a role in 2008 and 2009 when our focus turns to our ultimate goal of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa."

Well now......

Whatcha think?

Argentina, anyone?

By Steve Goff  |  June 22, 2007; 4:43 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Great Salt Lake
Next: Benny and the Nats

Comments

Absolutely Shocking.
Lando should try out for the women's team.

Posted by: rUS100 | June 22, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Should be a baptism by fire for many of our younger player and our coach. Having said that, I'm glad we're participating, and I'm looking forward to the matches. I hope that we can win a couple of our matches, or at least get a tie and a win.

I thought that Dempsey wouldn't play because he's getting married next month. Not too surprised by Donovan not going -- he's very important to the Galaxy.

Posted by: Bill in Md. | June 22, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

While it seems like a lot of American fans are disappointed with the relative lack of strength in the side, I think it's best to remember that this isn't our regional championship. Winning the Gold Cup lands us in the Confederation's Cup, while we never had a proverbial snowball's chance to win the Copa America.

On a different note, how much does Mr. Eddie Johnson having riding on this tournament? If he puts a few of them in the back of the net I'm sure KC won't see it's league leading goalscorer again.

Posted by: Nic | June 22, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

The question is not whether Argentina crushes us, it is how ruthlessly embarrasing that loss will be.

Posted by: noptov52 | June 22, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: noptov52 | June 22, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Why did we even bother with this tournament?

Posted by: DuPont Mike | June 22, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NIc | June 22, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Che, no se que decir... pero con ese plantel les vamos poner 2 docenas en la canasta!

Posted by: Christian Gomez | June 22, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

If we beat Argentina, It'll be a "Once in a Lifetime" moment. Cue the Rocky theme. Goff, start working on the screen play.

Posted by: Tommie | June 22, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"I agree with DuPont Mike. It makes no sense at all to participate in a two tournaments while MLS is in season."

Yeah, but how else are they gonna get the experience of top-level international futbol? If someone knows the answer (I sure as heck don't), feel free to chime in.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 22, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

There are obviously a few players with their first chance on a stage like this, and a few being given second opportunities to show their stuff.

One of interesting choices is in the middle - looks like Bob really is asking a lot of Mr. Mapp.

Posted by: Rob | June 22, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Did Donovan decide not to go, or was he not chosen?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I too would have liked to see a stronger squad, but atleast now players like Mapp get a chance to prove themselves.

Is Bronstein more of a Bradley favorite than his own son?

Posted by: Dave G | June 22, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Dave G wrote: "Is Bronstein more of a Bradley favorite than his own son?"

Or does Daddy know something we don't, like Jr. is going to get a longer suspension for his reckless tackle?

Or maybe he's grounded for not playing nice with others...

Posted by: SoyManya! | June 22, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

So no Moreno, Boswell or Olsen for how many matches? What is our lineup going to look like?

Lucky for me I will be in Colombia for the US vs. Colombia match. Go Canada!!

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 22, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I fear Bornstein's wonderful game against Mexico will become like Jovan Kirovski's great game against Germany, and earn him many more appearances than he likely merits at a spot where no clearly better option exists.

Posted by: Ex-Silver Springer | June 22, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

i love it. this roster has the potential for some huge upsets. i think this tournament returns the US to their scrappy underdog status, and this roster has some special players that can turn a game.
-----------keller
wynne demerit conrad pearce
-------olsen----clark
--------feilhaber
nguyen--------------mapp
---------davies

i love it already.

Posted by: MARK VA | June 22, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Landon Donovan is a female dog for not playing!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see US Soccer FINALLY released the lineup.

The number of, uh..., veterans is definitely small. The "experienced" veterans are sprinkled in the following areas:
Goal: Keller
D: Conrad
M: "Big" Ben Olsen
F: Twellman & Johnson

Hopefully this core will show the "young guns" how to survive these tough games.

The best this team can do is 2-1 in the opening round. Argentina is too strong. The other games we could win if we play well with luck.

The only question I have is who will start in goal against Argentina? Do you try and play for the win with Keller? Or, do you give "el" Guzan the start and experience he'll need in the qualifing stages for the World Cup. After watching Keller play poor and make some bad decisions during the US Canada match, if Guzan looks about as good in training as Keller, give Guzan the start.

As always, Congrats to Ben and Bobby for the call-up to Copa America. If we were to lose you to a tournament this summer, Copa America is the one I would want to see our DC United stars miss action to play in.

Posted by: Murr | June 22, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I think Copa America is going to be like Survivor: Venezuela - who get's voted off the national team pool for good, EJ or Twellman?

I'll be interested in seeing Feilhaber against the Argentines, and I'd like to see more of Davies and Nguyen. What is Herculez Gomez doing on this roster?

Posted by: G-Dub | June 22, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully we'll see Mapp get some extended time.

Posted by: Max | June 22, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

A stronger squad? So you'd take Dempsey, Donovan, Mastroeni, Gooch, Bocanegra and Bradley? You'd take the same tired crew and carry them around all summer? Fresh legs is a necessity at this level and I wouldn't play the same field players for 9 games in just over three weeks---with a cross country flight or two mixed in.

Our back line is solid, our forwards are the same part-time starters of EJ and Twellman (with some new blood mixed in).

Posted by: del | June 22, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Argentina 3 (maybe 4) U.S. 0.

Paraguay 1 US 2

Colombia 1, US 1

Posted by: d | June 22, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

The only way it makes sense to be in this tournament is if we take it seriously. Obviously that's not happening.

Charlie Davies?

Drew Moor?

I guess Beckerman would be the big playmaker in the middle?

Ugh. You thought the Gold Cup games were sloppy...

Posted by: Whuzdahuh? | June 22, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nic | June 22, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Danny Freakin' Califf. I may consider ex-patriatism...

Posted by: Dave Lifton | June 22, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread: Califf?

Besides that, I'm actually quite happy with this team, considering the depth of our pool and the players going either to Canada, across the pond, or back to their MLS squads.

I'm happy with Bob Bradley as our coach... As long as we still beat Mexico, and play with heart during Copa America.

Posted by: B.A. | June 22, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I can understand that people are going to be upset with who is not on this list. Seeing the likes of Dempsey, Boca, and even Beasley have to step up and assert themselves to lead the team in a hostile environment would have been great. That said, I am very excited to see a lot of these players.

Pearce, Nguyen, and Davies are all players that are talked about often, seem to have legitimate potential to be at the next World Cup, and I never get to see. Wynne, Clark, Guzan and Gomez were all players that people thought should have gotten a better look for the 2006 WC.

Bornstein, Mapp, and Johnson are all polarizing talents that have huge upsides (as well as crazed supporters/detractors). Keller, Conrad, and Olsen provide a bit of veteran presence and have all been clear leaders on their club teams. Etc.

Guzan might stand on his head, like Keller did a few years ago against Brazil, and we have a great upset. Maybe Nguyen plays as well as Convey did as a teen against Brazil and Cafu (I think in that same victory). Or we might get smoked by Argentina, so what? We have a lot of exciting young players, a few older ones to round out the team, and get to watch at least 4 more meaningful US games against good competition. That would be 1 more competitive competitive game (as in meaningful and against decent teams) than we have had in a calendar year since 2006. Yippy!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dancy | June 22, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, I meant since 2002.

Posted by: Dancy | June 22, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Basile: Do I go with Messi and Crespo, then bring in Tevez off the bench?

versus

Bradley: Do I go with EJ and Davies and bring in Twellman off the bench?

Ugggh. it got worse. Can't we nationalize some striker from somewhere and have them play for us (kinda like we did with Thomas Dooley)...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"I'm shocked to see most of the backup defenders from the Gold Cup won't be getting a chance to play in Copa America (ie Spector, Simek, Parkhurst)."

Me, too. That was the only possible reason I could think of for Bradley keeping them on the bench (or not even dressed).

"Bornstein, Mapp, and Johnson are all polarizing talents that have huge upsides (as well as crazed supporters/detractors)."

Where is this mysterious upside Bornstein has?

And who the hell is Drew Moor?

Posted by: c-hawk | June 22, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Our only prayer is if Charlie Davies comes up HUUUUUGE

Posted by: Golazo | June 22, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not all that disappointed with the roster. It should give us a good look at the young guys the chance to show if they have what it takes to succeed.
A draw vs Argentina would be a good result and is attainable (don't laugh, Argentina is notoriously bi polar in cup competitions) and we have tied them before with a lesser squad IMO. Though I still expect them to win. Messi is on a roll right now.
The rest of the group is winnable. I don't see us lasting past the first game of the knock out round though. IF we manage to make it past there, all bets are off.

Posted by: papa bear | June 22, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Argentina 4 - 0 US
Colombia 2 - 0 US
Paraguay 1 - 0 US

can't believe deadspin scooped everybody

Posted by: Beauregard Janglez | June 22, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

"Argentina hasn't really been lighting the world a fire recently: lost to France, tied Chile, tied Switzerland, and barely beat Algeria. Let's see how the kids do before all of the gloom and doom talk starts.
Posted by: Nic "

Nic, by the way, Argentina beat France this year, not the opposite. Anyway, with this roster, a 3-0 loss vs Argentina would be honorable for the US. This game can get ugly pretty early. Argentina is bringing Messi, Tevez, Riquelme, Palacios, Crespo among others...Scary! I just saw Riquelme destroying Gremio n the Libertadores...

Posted by: Charlie | June 22, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Man, you guys are depressing. We aren't THAT bad. We even have some pretty good moments.

Hell, as far as I know, we're the last team that hasn't lost to the 2007 World Cup Champions.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

On a different note: Thierry Henry is going to Barcelona! I am depressed!! :-(

Posted by: Charlie | June 22, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I actually think this is good. It saddens me but it seems that team USA at the moment is full of a bunch of young punks who spend too much time reading their own press clippings (Deuce, Donovan, Beasely, etc...) At least these players will play like hell.

My only questions are: (a) with Michael Bradley in the lineup who will start every game? (b) who is Drew Moor - perhaps it is a nickname for superfan Drew Carey? (c) without Hejduk how can we confuse the Argentinians by having a player with terrible Argentinian-style hair (d) without Mastreoni and Onyewu how are we going to get cards, ejections, and suspensions? (e) how much is a double-Benny midfield going to rock South America?

Posted by: marc | June 22, 2007 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Henri to Barca!

Tottenham now the favorites for 4th. Come on you Spurs!

Posted by: Kyle | June 22, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I love this lineup. People who are saying the US will be lucky to keep it to 0-4 are either using extreme hyperbole or lack the intelligence to understand that concept.

Posted by: Todd H. | June 22, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Tommie, we already pulled that upset, in 1995.

Danny Califf? I don't even see his name when I check out Yanks Abroad reports. Stunned that we have to settle with Twellman and EJ again up top, so I hope Davies gets some time. That midfield...yikes.

Posted by: RK | June 22, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I think the U20's could beat that squad. Is conrad even playing with his broken Jaw?

Danny Califf? Why not call in DJ countess and Brian West?

Simek isn't playing at all for Gold Cup, why not bring him along? Spector? Heath pearce and Bornstein?

3 and done. I feel ok going to the united game now and missing the ARG dismantling. Will it be double digits is the real question.

IS there a player strike going on that we don't know about? Is Mark Dodd avaialable?

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | June 22, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

agreed double benny midfield will be awesome!

Since i have already come to terms with the fact that Copa America was not the priority this summer, i am quite frankly happy to see this roster, especially names that I have never seen before. I think the inexperience that many of the american players have might work out in our favor, simply becasuse they are unknown, the opposition does not really know what to expect.

Im excited and hope to be suprised by this bunch, hell i would rather be the underdog any day.

Posted by: Pino | June 22, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I think it's an appropriate squad... these guys are hungry and they'll play hard... much like the 1995 Copa squad who beat Argentina (featuring Batistuta and Simeone) 3-0 and won their group.

Side note: USA only conceded two goals in the first round, one being from the foot of Marco Etcheverry.

As a bonus, it's a weak enough team on paper that Bradley-haters won't have too much ammunition if we get trounced.

Posted by: bbarrie | June 22, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Although his experience helps, I would think youd have to go with Guzan over Keller.

Keller looked incredibly slow last night. He always has been bad with his feet, but last night was unbelievable.

Posted by: srfinger | June 22, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The two guys I really wanted to see on the roster, the two guys who could have really benefitted from facing top-flight competition, are not on the roster: Donovan and Dempsey. I know that club commitments probably made it impossible, but, still...(explative).

If Heath Pearce had been left off the roster I would have started a riot.

Too bad that neither of the underused right backs from Copa America - Spector and Simek - made the roster. Especially Simek, as his place with Wednesday is very secure. I like Marvell Wynne, but I don't think he's ripe yet.

Who's playing right mid? Benny? Feilhaber? Kleistejeaistseean? I don't see a natural right mid in the bunch.

Posted by: Jeff M | June 22, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Just waiting to hear from Bradley what the rationale is for the specific selections. Some are obvious, as in the holdovers from Gold Cup. Just don't get omitting Spector and Simek, are they carrying some cotagious disease? I would really trust them to at least be experienced with some of the qualities that a Tevez or Messi has especially since Spector trained with Tevez at West Ham. Haven't we experimented enough with Bornstein. This is like a variety show opportunity and if anything the Us has a deep pool of similarly talented young players, but you still have got to have some scientific basis for selecting Gaven, Wynne or Moor. Does current form in MLS mean we take H Gomez, Moor and whoever else. I'm rambling 'cause I think herr Bradley is regressing on his overall strategizing and we could be competitive in Copa America with a less verteran team, but what's his reasoning for this particular selection?

Posted by: cuzco03 | June 23, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I waited all day for this crap! Why did Bradley even waste Simek and Spector's time. I hope Pearce plays more than Bornstein, but I think Bradley's in love.
Landon is a punk and he always will be!

Posted by: John | June 23, 2007 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Drew Moor should be the captain of this team!

Posted by: Drew Moor | June 23, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

What a bloody embarrassment to US soccer and it's fans. Why enter??

I've been a US fan since the '70s and we've played Argentina one time, I think, in a game which counted, and we field this crap against their best team this time??

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | June 23, 2007 1:19 AM | Report abuse

This is clearly at best a US B team maybe even a B-.

While I didn't expect our strongest team, I am surprised the team is this weak.

Posted by: Nick | June 23, 2007 1:32 AM | Report abuse

It's one thing to say that we need to focus more on Gold Cup than copa America becaue it's our regional championship. It's another thing to send a squad down there to get embarrassed. This is all soccer needs in the US. Argentina sends their World Cup squad, we send guys that have never even appeared for the full men's National team. Why not send the U-20's while we are at it. Bradley is copping out saying that we'll see faces who are on the 2010 WC team. I hope we can pack it in and that Keller can come to our aid...again, otherwise it could be a long day. This is the same Argentina squad that hammered Serbia and was impressive throughout the cup and they have onyl improved since then. Messi has become an all out star. Tevez and Mascherano grew into their own in the Premiership. The worst thing is that in addition to the diminished talent level, a lot of these guys haven't played together as a unit before. Argentina will pick that apart. What happened to guys like Gooch and Simek needing a good summer to get new teams come August.

Posted by: Derek | June 23, 2007 2:58 AM | Report abuse

I love this roster and our Copa experience. We have nothing to lose and everything to gain. This could be a HUGE opportunity for guys like Nguyen, Feilhaber, Davies, Sascha, Bornstein, and Mapp who could be regulars come 2010. The kids aren't going to gain much playing Honduras and T&T five times during Cup qualifying. However, they'll know real quick what type of players they are after lining up against the Argies. I do wish Lando could have participated. Then again, the team needs to learn sometime how to play without him. I was surprised to learn that they are showing all Copa games on Sky Sports here in Europe...the world will be watching!

Posted by: London Dan | June 23, 2007 4:17 AM | Report abuse

"Ugh. You thought the Gold Cup games were sloppy..."

"It's one thing to say that we need to focus more on Gold Cup than copa America becaue it's our regional championship. It's another thing to send a squad down there to get embarrassed."

"While I didn't expect our strongest team, I am surprised the team is this weak."

"Anyway, with this roster, a 3-0 loss vs Argentina would be honorable for the US."

I'm tired of all this loser talk. I don't believe in "honorable" losses. This scrappy bunch of wet-nose teenyboppers and stinky old farts is going to shock the world.

Posted by: Joe S. | June 23, 2007 6:29 AM | Report abuse

sure we're underdogs against Argentina but you've gotta believe! if the players had inferiority complexes like a lot of the people posting here they'd have already lost the game. thankfully we know they didn't get to be professional soccer players through pessimism.

my only regret is i'll be out supporting United and won't be able to watch some of our up and coming talent.

Posted by: Kire | June 23, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Nick's got it right. I thought "C" team immediately.

And Michael Bradley is with the U-20's if no one answered the question.

No Landon, No Charlie Blackmouth. Who exactly is the C then? Keller? Mr. Retire Already?

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | June 23, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Conmebol thinks twice before inviting the US next time if we're going to send a bunch of nobodies to their regional tournament. It's not like when Brazil sends a B or C team which still includes players that play regularly in the Champions League.

God help the US if Messi plays on the right like he does at Barca. There is absolutely no way that Bornstein can stop him. He could barely stop Bernier for Canada.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 23, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Is FSC broadcasting the US-Argentina match? People have long thought that FOX would be the first network to broadcast live executions.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 23, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

GolTV has the games.

Posted by: RK | June 23, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I think this group of players have a fantastic opportunity ahead of them! For all of the doubters on this thread all I have to say is wait and see! There are some players on this roster that we don't even get the chance to see play, so how can you judge how strong or weak they are? Go get 'em boys and give 'em hell!!!!!

Vamos
Eastados Unidos!

Posted by: Keenan | June 23, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

This is embarrassing. It's like spitting on CONMEBOL for the invite. We have the opportunity to get our guys some real experience against world class talent, only we don't send our guys. So confusing. We are going to get thoroughly dominated.

Posted by: Duke | June 23, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Bradley must have lingering Chicago hate to keep Mapp for both tournaments because he is their only quality offensive player. Other than that, we'll see, but I don't expect very much unless one of the unknowns from a lesser European league has a "Brian Doyle" moment and plays over his head for the entire tournament (this means you Davies or Nguyen). One final point, I hope Bradley doesn't bunker against Argentina but plays openly. Better to lose 5-1 and entertain than lose 2-0 and be a substitute for valium.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 23, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm torn on this. It's good that our young guys, our "future", will get to see how it feels to play against the top class of the world.

But I also would have liked to see at least two or three of our "leaders" from Gold Cup get an invitation. Like Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley, Bocanegra, and Howard. Pick two of those guys and I would be happy.

And it will be great to see Kyle Beckerman, representing Crofton!!

Posted by: Shatz | June 23, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

What a joke? Danny Califf is still playing soccer? Why? Also how can Gaven be on this team when he can't even start for Columbus? What Columbus has more talent than our National Team? This is pathetic and sad. Sadly I still have hope for this team.

Posted by: nats suck | June 23, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nats suck | June 23, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

This looks like Bradley was playing nice with the MLS owners. Doesn't put landycakes on the rooster so he can go back and save the Galaxy. Adds a few from the teams that did not get touched from the Gold Cup round but sticks it to Chicago with Mapp.

I don't think we will be "too embarassing" but definitely not a strong US effort. I hope we are surprised but Keller will really need to improve on his Gold Cup performance.

Posted by: DCU 4EVER | June 23, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I honestly can't see us scoring a goal down there. Maybe two nil-nil draws and a spanking by 'tina will be good enough.

Posted by: Xander | June 23, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

...and you thought US Soccer had PR problems before. Wait till you see in the next couple weeks.

Maybe its part of a grand strategy by Bradley. Surely he is playing possum fielding this squad. He must be.

Posted by: Mountaineer Pride | June 23, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

A few things...First, try not to be so negative, US fans, anything can happen on a soccer field. That said, on paper, this should, and likely will be, a total massacre. There isn't one player on this U.S. squad that comes close talent-wise to Argentina's ballboys, let alone their actual players. I personally think Bradley made the first real mistake of his national team coaching career with this roster, mainly because although it is good to give young players this kind of experience, you have to balance that out with a core of real veterans (twellman, johnson and olsen hardly count) to keep the game from getting out of hand. The last thing you want is to get destroyed by Argentina and have your team totally devastated psychologically. You've got to give these younger guys some confidence so that they feel they can play with the best of the best. Finally, to the person who made the comment about Argentina not playing well coming into this tournament, I'd say keep in mind that THIS Argentina team did not play any of those games...and THIS Argentina team is entering the tournament to make up for Germany 2006. It will take much more than Ben Olsen and Taylor Twellman to stop them.

Posted by: Sebi | June 25, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

It is a privilege and an honor to be invited to play in any soccer tournament. The US should take every match seriously and compete with the highest quality talent possible. "Friendly" matches are the time to test new talent, not in tournaments with such soccer powers.

I was embarrassed by the US performance in the Copa America. For the US to think it has the pedigree to pick and choose when to take tournaments seriously is absolutely ludicrous!!! Three and out in the World Cup, three and out in the Copa America!!!! It is great to win the Gold Cup but to be a soccer power, we will need to compete at a much higher level.

Posted by: soccerdemon | July 6, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse