Going to California With an Aching in My Heart

Absorb the lyrics, read the links...

"California, a prophet on the burning shore
California, I'll be knocking on the golden door
Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
Rising up to paradise, I know I'm gonna shine"

Mike Wise's column.....

"I'd like to rest my heavy head tonight
On a bed of California stars
I'd like to lay my weary bones tonight
On a bed of California stars"

Galaxy-United story.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 2, 2007; 2:58 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Looking Back, Looking Ahead
Next: Matchday 8: DCU at L.A. (Plus USA-China)

Comments

Life is the longest death in California

California
You're such a wonder that I think I'll stay in bed
So much to plunder that I think I'll sleep instead

Posted by: fckalihi | June 2, 2007 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Just posted this at the end of the other thread, when this posting popped up. Our U-18 team is playing in Portugal at the moment. Lost to Finland, beat Denmark, and they have their final game against the hosts today. I'm going to the game so I'll post an update -- in the off chance anyone cares -- this afternoon European time.

Posted by: Troy | June 2, 2007 3:56 AM | Report abuse

In the case of Soehn this week, I think Dr. Dre put it best when he said:

California.
Knows how to party.

Posted by: Arrrlington | June 2, 2007 4:07 AM | Report abuse

Steve-

First off, you're the man! Thanks for the blog and the columns. Keep up the awesome work!

Goal.com is reporting that a Chilean media outlet is saying that Marcelo Salas has been offered a contract by the Chicago Fire ANND DC United. Any word on this?

Posted by: Diego | June 2, 2007 7:21 AM | Report abuse

a little Dead and Wilco channeling Woody Guthrie to frame a posting...nice.

Posted by: billq | June 2, 2007 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Man, Wise can write, can't he.

Very, very good column. A finely woven text that captured many of DC United's personalities, past and present.

The man has been paying attention.

Thanks for posting Steve. My wife has the print edition captured right now.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 2, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

And if California slides into the ocean
Like the mystics and statistics say it will
I predict this motel will be standing
Until I pay my bill

Posted by: Dave Lifton | June 2, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"if Napoleon were alive today, he would have had a Nowakian complex"

Now this is great stuff.

Posted by: Brian | June 2, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Nice articles and work as always,Goff. Still curious about any information on FC Las Vegas. Also,a small comment for Wise, while I thought his writing was interesting, it seems like a grammar check is needed:

"Beyond refurbishing the real only dynasty MLS has known, Soehn has to gracefully managed the end of Jaime Moreno's career. Moreno is 33"

Posted by: P | June 2, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Wiiiiiiiilllllllcoooooo!

I thought this blog was pretty cool before, but now.... Sweet.

Posted by: Scott | June 2, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

So Goff, can I send you my iTunes bill from this morning? I felt the need to pick up another live version of "Estimated Prophet," and ended up with the Digital Download Series Vol. 1, NY Palladium, 4/30/77. It rocks, but I can't help but think you're responsible for the purchase, since I read this blog entry before I had any coffee... :-)

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 2, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Truly uplifting.
I never thought much about Tom Soehn. I guess I was witholding judgement, waiting to see how the team did. I wish him well now, independent of the team.
The power of insight and the written word.
asitis

Posted by: asitis | June 2, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The U-18s had a tough match against Portugal. Final was 4-0, although the match was a lot closer. Portugal led 1-0 most of the match, which alternated between sloppy and chippy. They got a garbage goal towards the second half, then got a PK on a dubious hand ball in the box, and then a US player got a well-deserved red card which led to a fourth goal.

The US team was cobbled together just last week and is composed of guys who will play college ball. The Portuguese team was composed of guys who all have professional contracts and who have been playing together on youth teams for five or six years. Yeah, I'm making lame excuses.

Portugal won the tournament, Finland second, US third, and Norway fourth (I know I wrote Denmark earlier, but it was a brain cramp; Norway was here).

Some solid play though; I'm sure we'll see some of these kids again.

Posted by: Troy | June 2, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CY | June 2, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, its great to mix my Guthrie-era Wilco love with my soccer love.

Posted by: Josh | June 2, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"I know this is off topic but I couldn't help but mention Beckham's play yesterday. For everyone who said that Beckham was coming to the US because he could no longer play, I hope they watched yesterday. Beckham was the best player on England's team, hands down. While he might miss some games in MLS due to national team duty, Beckam coming to the US is great for the MLS and soccer in this country. In my opinion, it's worth the millions he's getting paid."
Posted by: CY | June 2, 2007 01:17 PM

Anyone who has been paying attention to the second half of La Liga knows that Beckham, as much as I hate to admit it, has been very influential in Real's rise to the summit. As a Barca fan I'm hoping the international break will somehow ruin his and their rythm, though.

Posted by: Lanier Heights | June 2, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness
The track hits ya eardrum like a slug to ya chest
Pack a vest for your Jimmy in the city of sex
We in that sunshine state with a bomb ass hemp beat
the state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And pimps be on a mission for them greens
lean mean money-makin-machines servin fiends
I been in the game for ten years makin rap tunes
ever since honeys was wearin sassoon
Now it's '95 and they clock me and watch me
Diamonds shinin lookin like I robbed Liberace
It's all good, from Diego to tha Bay
Your city is tha bomb if your city makin pay
Throw up a finger if ya feel the same way
Dre puttin it down for
Californ-i-a

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | June 2, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Beckham played well yesterday but was clearly second best. Gerrard was, hands down, the best player on the field. Plus, he was playing out of position and still made Fat Lampost look like an amateur.

Posted by: dtd | June 2, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone get out to GMU for the doubleheader earlier today? What were the final scores?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | June 2, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Props for the Rufus Wainwright reference. I don't think anyone else got that one.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 3, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse