Good Mornin'

A few things to add to your morning reading list.....

*United's reserves fall in Richmond to the Kickers

*United braces for Copa call-ups

*New England makes a couple interesting roster moves

*A former Terp is in trouble

*The Insider broke the story last week. Ives confirmed the signing the other day. And now Carlos Pavon is ready to suit up for the Galaxy.

*And a cool footy Web site to check out

Perhaps some news later? You never know.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 20, 2007; 9:21 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Falls at Richmond
Next: Sarachan Out

Comments

I'm afraid to click on 101 great goals....it might take me to a home made pr0n site.

Posted by: Roy Stevens | June 20, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I have a quick question. Say the US ends up winning the Gold Cup, and they pull off the miracle and win the Copa America, does that mean that they will hold both spots for the Confederations Cup, meaning that a CONMEBOL team won't participate?

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 20, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey Goff,
I never really thought about the Nats jersey...here is an interesting slideshow/article about just that. Why is it that the national team continues to switch(upgrade?) their uniform. I will assume it's to sell more shirts. Here is the link...

Posted by: John Berrodin | June 20, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

DC United Fan-

The US cannot represent CONMEBOL. If we (or Mexico) win Copa America, the top-placed CONMEBOL member will go to the Confederations Cup. Similarly, if Guadaloupe wins the Gold Cup, they can't represent CONCACAF (since they are technically a French territory rather than a member nation).

Moving on: Steven, any idea who the "name" player Nicol is talking about? Will this player whine as much as Nicol and Paul Mariner do?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 20, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow! I've stayed at that house in Dewey many times years ago... and I graduated from Walt Whitman 20+ years ago, too... Weird!

BTW, the cops in Dewey are a bunch of @$$holes!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Good win for Richmond. I wonder how they're doing in their league this year; perhaps they can win promotion to the MLS....

Oh. Yeah. Growing the sport in smaller areas means reminding them they are not, and will never be, "big time."

And yes, I know this rant is old on Soccer Insider, but I haven't done it in a long time and wanted to get it out. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Posted by: Kyle | June 20, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Actually, is there a particularly good reason the USL doesn't institute promotion and relegation within itself?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 20, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

www.footytube.com is a great place to see things related to the beautiful game.

aaand...while the cops at all of those beach towns are incredible jerks, and they love to use the 'I smelled marijuana cigarettes' excuse to search anything and anyone they want, it is common knowledge that they are arseholes and anyone who is old enough to get arrested for giving alcohol to minors is an idiot for putting him/herself in a situation like that.

Come to think of it, other than the kids on Pacific Blew, every beach cop is probably a jerk...
"Now we got a nice, quiet little beach community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around, bothering our citizens, Lebowski. I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off. Do I make myself clear?"

Posted by: bribri | June 20, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like the worst beachweek ever.

Which Bethesda team does this guy coach for anyway?

Posted by: Pino | June 20, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Because USL teams operate on shoestring budgets as it is? Lots of teams have 'relegated' themselves to USL-2 because USL-1 is too expensive.

Posted by: Ash | June 20, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"Just days before David Beckham plays his most important game for Real Madrid, the Times reports that Goldenballs "has finally conquered America." Forbes magazine have placed the former England captain 15th in the annual Forbes celebrity list."

Is this a new nickname for Beckham? Goldenballs?! Too funny!!

Posted by: SoyManya! | June 20, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

As I understand it, you have to make a certain financial commitment to compete in USL1 in order to support the league. Richmond could no longer do it after the 2005 season and dropped to USL2. You could go undefeated five straight seasons in USL2, but unless you have a strong financial foundation, you can't move up. Anyone have more details of USL structure?

Posted by: Goff | June 20, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

www.footytube.com

if anyone has never heard of it is great for highlights and other soccer related movies also

Posted by: Pino | June 20, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

two things:

First off, did anyone ever figure out how much of Landycakes' salary is counted against the cap? by my math, the Galaxy have $2.6 million invested in players making over $100,000 only...or is there a pro rata system for people like Pavon or Becks who come in partway?

second, Ives did a nice piece on the Red Bull's Academy system, including listing 5 pro prospects, any chance of Goff not copying that, but doing something similar about DCU? We don't hear much about the Academy, is there anyone decent in there? anything they should be doing they aren't? I really don't know much about it, all in all, even Ives said it was up with NYRB in quality, be nice to hear about finding some good homegrown talent as well as plucking from the rest of the hemisphere...

Posted by: northzax | June 20, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

That sounds like every other league -- in order to move up a division, you have to meet financial and stadium requirements.

Posted by: RK | June 20, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what USL requires in terms of a financial foundation for USL-1 teams, but according to their franchise package, their average budget is in the $1 - 1.5 million range, versus about $500,000 for a USL-2 team. USL-1 teams also have to provide more seating with some luxury boxes and fewer bleachers. There's a minimum requirements document here:

Posted by: Wade | June 20, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The fact that USL is in a division 1 and 2 structure and not in an East/West conference formart that would significantly limit travel costs is beyond me.

Posted by: Tood H. | June 20, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Seattle to Puerto Rico trip would be fun...

Posted by: RK | June 20, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

incidentally, i saw some friends at bethany beach this past friday and was duly harassed by cops for going on the beach after it had closed. the bike officer who did most of the talking had braces that he showed off through an annoyingly smug grin. we didn't get in trouble, but they did their part to 'harsh my buzz.'

Posted by: longfellow | June 20, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey Steve,
Any word on the extent of Goldenballs' injury? Are United staff making contingency plans for if Beckham is a no show?
DHS

Posted by: David | June 20, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

RE: Slate article on Kit ADD

Right, the main reason for changing the (US) kit is to sell more jerseys. Sometimes it's because the clothing sponsor changes, but that's not the case with the US. If Nike can have nice jerseys for Brazil, Portugal, etc., why can't they do something nice for US? For most of the teams with classic looks, the design is tweaked, not demolished and rebuilt. One exception is the horrible (West?) Germany jersey with the semi-argyle design around the neck.

I was at Target before the T&T match and talked to a fellow whom I immediately recognized as a fan. Why? He was wearing the jersey with the ugly triangular wings descending from the armpits.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 20, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I just dont understand why the "3rd" kit is not red.

I mean it makes sense. We have the white home kit, blue away, red seems like the logical third kit color.

Posted by: Pino | June 20, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Just reported in Chicago that Sarachan's out.

Discuss?

Posted by: Stevan | June 20, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

Nicol and Mariner may complain a lot, but they've done the most with the least talent, and have the team near the top of the table yet again, despite this year losing a key player (Dempsey) to Europe, to injury (Franchino), and nearly losing another (Joseph) to contract dispute. All the while, NE finds guys in the draft (Parkhurst, Cristman, Noonan, Dempsey, etc), without relying on international markets. Now if we could just win the #@*)*@# Cup...

Posted by: Goldenballs | June 20, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

Posted by: Goldenballs | June 20, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Whitman always had the best parties when I was in high school...

Posted by: London Dan | June 20, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice the (female) mayor of that beach town is named Mayor Tush? Too funny...

Posted by: ff | June 20, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Somehow, when I read "A former Terp is in trouble," I thought: "Let me guess: Nino..."

Posted by: DWE4 | June 20, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm not really sure where I said that Nicol and Mariner were bad coaches. I just said that they're whiners.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 20, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"Nicol and Mariner may complain a lot, but they've done the most with the least talent... Now if we could just win the #@*)*@# Cup..."

But that's just it, isn't it? I've been trying to figure out if I respect Nicol & Co. for doing so well in the draft, consistently advancing deep in the playoffs, and dealing with the departure of so many players, or are they drags on the game with the style of play they bring?

Currently, I'm voting for drag on the game.

Yes, sometimes it works - see semifinal vs. DC last year, but how often can you count on that strategy working? It bit NE in the butt in the final last year.

Posted by: Rob | June 20, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

how about this site: www.footytube.com ?

I like 101goals too but FT is better :)

Posted by: Danny | June 20, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Nino was my son's coach last fall for U9 Bethesda Azzurri....he was fired mid year for a host of reasons. Sadly, this is so not surprising.

Posted by: wow | June 21, 2007 7:18 AM | Report abuse