Honduran Superstar

The big news for Honduran futbol this past week might not have been the national team upsetting Mexico or winning its first-round group at the Gold Cup. It just could have been the news that forward David Suazo appears to be heading to Serie A champion Inter Milan after several wonderful seasons at Cagliari. Suazo has made only about 15 appearances for his national team because of club conflicts and did not go to Gold Cup because he was allegedly injured. But he is quickly becoming the most coveted player in CONCACAF.

Why does Inter want Suazo? Watch and learn:

By Steve Goff  |  June 15, 2007; 9:12 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Simply the Worst
Next: Just Another Tricky Day

Comments

Great move for Suazo. The guy has been tearing it up with Cagliari for the past 3 years. Not only his goals, but the fact that he was named Cagliari's captain last year also adds to his quality as a player.

Posted by: Vic | June 15, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I just checked the birth certificate for Trap, Offside, and it's official...Suazo is its daddy. No confirmation yet that he is also the daddy of Shot, Chip, but I expect word on that soon.

Day-um.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 15, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

it's too bad he doesn't play for Honduras more, actually.

Posted by: Viv | June 15, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

His first touch is crazy. I wonder how badly Honduras would've beaten Mexico with Suazo. Honduras sure does produce some quality players. I just hope to see him starting for Inter, I mean 100 goals in 112 appearances? I know Serie A will be harder, but come on, he knows how to finish.

Posted by: BigHead | June 15, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"But he is quickly becoming the most coveted player in CONCACAF."

Really? By whom? Over Donovan? Marques? Bravo? His own teammate Guevara? OK, bad example.

I've never seen the guy play but this seems a bit hyperbolic...

Goff Stirs Up the Gold Cup Pot. Film at 11!

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | June 15, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

@Looking Dangerous:
I don't see Inter banging down Landon Donovan's door...

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 15, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Pace, technical ability and composure. Pretty impressive.

Posted by: Joe Doc | June 15, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

That is one horrible pop song.

Posted by: delantero | June 15, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

That is one horrible pop song. Sounds like a cross between the David Hasselhoff and Debbie Gibson.

Posted by: delantero | June 15, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Inter is going to beast this year... Especially if they also land Tevez in addition Suazo.

Posted by: RIP General | June 15, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I've seen some Cagliari games on Fox (they seem to be on Fox more than, say, Inter), and Suazo is good. But he disappeared on a few occasions this year. Of course, Cagliari isn't the greatest of teams (not like his service is that great). The year before, he lit up Serie A, receiving a good deal of press.

Posted by: highbury | June 15, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

100 goals in 112 mathches. That's an per game average of... HOLY $#!*!

delantero: you've just revealed that you've heard a David Hasselhoff song.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 15, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm better than this joker.

Posted by: Landon Donovan | June 15, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

""delantero: you've just revealed that you've heard a David Hasselhoff song.""

Are you kidding? HE'S HUGE IN GERMANY.

Posted by: d | June 15, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow ... Clinical. The goalies will be better and the backs are bigger in Serie A, but he is absolutely clinical with his touches and how he gets goalies to commit. I'm impressed, and wonder if United had gone after him at all?

And pop music like that is why I usually watch the videos on here with the sound turned off.

Posted by: G-Unit | June 15, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow.... That's a nice reel... Dude has the speed and abilty to, as they say in the NFL, "create separation." Either seems to score on a long blast from the 18 or by taking it deep into the box and calmly slipping by the keeper. While some of those were pretty spectacular bombs, that reel is the perfect illustration for youth players about placement over power. That kind of clinical finishing is exactly what we're missing from USMNT forwards.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 15, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Suazo is without a doubt the best player in concacaf, unless hugo sanchez goes back in time....

Posted by: yo dummies | June 15, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I wish I were that good. I bet he just gets up there a buries his PK's - No stupid ADD ritual for him.

Posted by: LandyCakes | June 15, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Another WOW here. He looks much better than anyone we have.

Posted by: jj | June 15, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Now that the international transfer window is open, what moves can we expect from any MLS sides, especially DC United? Thanks

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 15, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

seriously, how much better would the MNT be with just *one* guy like that up front to occupy and distract the defenses of the better teams in the world? wouldn't he immediately make some of our other good-but-not-great players better? can we begin some sort of underhanded naturalization process?

Posted by: jamie | June 15, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Call David Regis, I'm sure he can help you out.

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I was pretty sure that he was in Serie A THIS year also.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Dang, that kid makes defenders look downright stupid...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 15, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

In 109 Serie A appearances Suazo has scored 44 goals.

Posted by: biersal | June 15, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

In 109 Serie A appearances Suazo has scored 44 goals.

Posted by: biersal | June 15, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, WOW. No question he's the real deal

According to ESPN, w/ Cagliari the past 3 seasons:

04/05- 7 goals (13 starts; 9 subs)
05/06- 22 goals (38 starts)
06/07- 14 goals/2assists (36 starts)

Posted by: Erik | June 15, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe a few years ago DC United was somewhat interested in his brother Maynor Suazo who I believe currently plays in Turkey. Goff, can you confirm this?

Posted by: Gus | June 15, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

That guy would kill in the MLS. And here, in a heavy central American community... it'd be nice.

Posted by: MeWantsForDC | June 15, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Cousin, not brother, according the wiki.

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh lordy, I realize this thread is all about Sauzissimo el goleador Hondureno, but I 270 got me thinking about old Davey H.

He goes from this:

To this:

The first video had me in tears at how awful is.

Posted by: d | June 15, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Milan have come in and taken Suazo instead...

Huge coup (if it turns out to be true)

Posted by: RIP General | June 19, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse