Just Another Tricky Day

I would love to pass along all the details of United's training session on the eve of the match with Chicago, but alas, Coach Tom Soehn decided to close all but the final few minutes to media in order to work on tactics and his lineup.

Fear not, Insider loyalists, we've collected a few crumbs to share.

-- Clyde Simms (ankle), Guy-Roland Kpene (groin/abdominal) and Kasali Yinka Casal (ankle) participated in regular workouts and could very well be on the game-day roster.

"They made it through yesterday without any significant pain, but they haven't trained in a while so their fitness is yet to be determined," said Soehn, who will likely choose Kpene, Rod Dyachenko or Nicholas Addlery to start in Copa-bound Jaime Moreno's frontline spot.

Said Kpene: "Everything is fine."

So will you start tomorrow?

"I don't even know if I am playing yet, but I am ready to go. ... Yesterday I was a little bit scared about getting hurt again, but today everything was okay. I can hit the ball pretty well."

Dyachenko is another candidate, but asked if he would get the call, Dyachenko said, "I don't think so."

With Moreno gone, "I'm not really sure what [the coaches] are thinking right now, but I'll get some minutes hopefully."

As for shifting his mentality as a forward, "I feel comfortable. I've played there before. My natural instinct is to distribute the ball a little more, but I can adjust if I need to be a striker."

-- Trialists Kim Jaggy and Mira Mupier have ended their workouts and will now await a possible contract offer. "I think they are both scheduled to fly out and then we will make decisions on them accordingly," Soehn said. Even if United decided to sign Jaggy, he would have to return to his native Switzerland to work out visa issues.

-- Rookie midfielder Bryan Arguez was named to the final U.S. roster for the Under-20 World Cup.

-- United officials are expecting between 18,000 and 20,000 for Saturday's match.

-- Biggest news of the day: Ben Olsen got a buzz cut. "I'm not sure what he's thinking," Soehn said. "Most guys shave their head when they are in a funk. He gets hot, he shaves his head. I can't figure it out. It shows he's not superstitious."

By Steve Goff  |  June 15, 2007; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Honduran Superstar
Next: Freddy vs. DCU? Ain't Happening

Comments

Mebee Beninho is looking to increase his pace by reducing drag?? :)

GM

Posted by: GrillMaster | June 15, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

ben's not superstitious? he should take the US MNT's penalty kicks then

Posted by: pat | June 15, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

maybe he's thought of a goal celebration that requires a buzzed head..not sure what it could be.

Posted by: ngu | June 15, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone been following Arguez for the U-20s? How has he been doing? I am assuming he has been playing DM in a 4-4-2. If not, what position has he been playing?

Thanks.

Posted by: the cheat | June 15, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any news on Salas signing with Chicago?? also with today being the first day to sign players, any news around MLS??

Posted by: koolcaio | June 15, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Ben shaves his head? I'm calling it now, he scores 7.

Posted by: DCAustinite | June 15, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Mupier and Jaggy had fairly short trials - given that Addlery's trial seemed to last over a week or two before he was eventually signed, it seems as if their chances of sticking with the team are probably not great.

Posted by: Eric Z | June 15, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

cheat,
Arguez has been playing the "D-mid" role for the kids, but he is mostly cover for Danny Szetela who appears to be the first option when healthy. Neither of these guys are the destroyers that their senior team counterparts are, but the hold and distribute very well.

Posted by: jgildea | June 15, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Arguez is also one of only 4 field players from the '89s that are included. A good group - Adu, Arguez, Altidore, Wallace.

Posted by: jgildea | June 15, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Ben probably just had some head lice to take care of.

Posted by: Logan Circle | June 15, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I may have missed it earlier, but the biggest news to me is that Jaime Moreno is already leaving. I knew he was going to Copa America but it would have been nice to seem him get another crack at setting the career MLS scoring record before he left.

Chicago is pretty weak and punchless right now with Mapp and Guerrero at the Gold Cup, Rolfe hurt and Cuauhtemoc (that's Aztec for "don't kiss me") Blanco not with the team yet. Chud Barrett and Olivia Newton Carr aren't exactly the scoring terrors of the league.

Just the kind of rival we're likely to overlook after last weekend's great win.

Posted by: garbaggio | June 15, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

If Ben scores 7, Soehn will have his whole team shaving their heads (although Erpen might object). Actually, that would be pretty awesome; kind of like the 1972 Oakland A's team, who all grew mustaches and won the ALC and World Series.

Posted by: ho | June 15, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Or they'll all get sunstroke and we'll take over the basement position from RSL...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

-----

When there's news, I will share it with y'all right away. Rest assured, I'm not hiding anything.

The signing period lasts two months. Tomorrow is the first day. Patience.

Posted by: Goff | June 15, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

OT: I'm going to London in late September and hoping to catch one of the London clubs in action (Fulham would be nice, but maybe Spurs or Arsenal would be more exciting.) Any tips from people who've done it/lived in London?

Posted by: Eric | June 15, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

re Eric and london:

just get tix in advance. I waited a couple weeks before getting mine in advance and the only ones I could get were for Charlton. The good thing was they were playing ManU. It also depends on who the teams are playing. my advice is choose and get in advance.

Posted by: Steve | June 15, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

re Eric and london:

Posted by: Steve | June 15, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Will Kiki Willis ever make it back to the team, or did he blow his chance?

Posted by: Elon | June 15, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Ben shaves his head? Now it would be news if he shaved his arms......

Posted by: Kim | June 15, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Eric,

Go to Bigsoccer.com and go on the various areas for English clubs. There will often be a thread specific to Americans/people from outside England who want to get tickets. If you dont see one, join BS and post a question.

For Arsenal tickets, there is a specific way to go about it:

I got Arsenal tickets through the guy that posts on the Arsenal section on BS. I believe his screen name is Rick B. Great guy and great seats. Even got a tour of Emirates, including locker room, directors box etc.

I will say this - if you go through Rick B, its assumed you're an Arsenal fan/supporter. Lots of people want these tickets and some people who love Arsenal never get them. Dont be a S*&#s fan in disguise, or a Fulham fan for that matter.

Posted by: the cheat | June 15, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

If Ben's beard is anything to go by...his head hair should be back and in full effect by kickoff tomorrow.

Posted by: Beans | June 15, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

DCU is done with Kiki Willis.

Posted by: Goff | June 15, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Ben expects to score more with his head. The hair was slowing down the ball. Either that ir it was a "if I ever score a hat-trick I'll shave my head" promise.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 15, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Kim,

Should Ben pluck his nose hairs, too? Should you?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Kiki left the team for personal reasons, and has completely quit soccer.

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Great reference to a semi-obscure Who song, Goff.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | June 15, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

ben shaved his head? what happened to the hair he cut off. Is he going to sell it on Ebay, or maybe present it to Barrabrava after the game, or perhaps light it on fire before the game as a psyche-out for chicago?

what plot is that devious deviant plotting?

Posted by: bribri | June 15, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

re: London-

I applied for and got Chelsea tickets online in 2002 (v. Arsenal) and 2004 (Champs League) after promising not to wear the other team's colors or cheer for the other team. Individual game tickets are made available to members first and then the public if any are left. Check their website for availability. They play Blackburn on Sep 15 and Fulham on Sep 29 at Stamford Bridge. The stadium is great and the neighborhood has plenty of places to grab a pint before or after. Just make sure to wear blue!

Posted by: Falls Church | June 15, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Benny should shave "GOAL" in his chest hair and lift his shirt when he scores. That would be the greatest celebration of all time, and we all know he's got the chest hair to pull it off. I bet his wife would love it too.

Posted by: SG | June 15, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse