Kings of Spain

Posh and Tom Cruise at the beginning. Players holding hands and skipping at the end. Well, everything in between is worth watching.

By Steve Goff  |  June 18, 2007; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Flashback
Next: United-MLS Updates

Comments

I wonder how terrified MLS & Galaxy honchos are after watching that video of David Beckham hobling around the field after the game? He couldn't put any weight on his left leg. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Nice to see though that he leaves on such a positive note (winning La Liga).
Cheers!
Roberto.

Posted by: Roberto | June 18, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I think this ankle injury could be a much bigger deal than anyone is letting on. And playing on the turf at Salt Lake, etc isn't going to be good for it either.

Personally I would have preferred to see Barca win La Liga again. Watching on GolTV was almost unbearable, and once Madrid scored I couldn't listen to those two idiots any more so I had to change over to the Mexico game.

Posted by: Glenn | June 18, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed watching it on goal TV the comments those two were making had me ROFL.

Posted by: Pino | June 18, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I started paying attention to futbol as a Barca Fan, because I fell in love with the Dutch 98 Cup team, but ended up living in Madrid for a few years.

Those were difficult years. The media in Madrid, newspapers, television, and everything thing else are out and out supporters of Real, and really anything from madrid. I watched a recap of the Corrida at Ventas one year and the Toro expert spent ten minutes explaining how everyone from Madrid who is involved in bullfighting is much better at it than anyone from the provinces, especially Catalunya.

But with futbol, it was very annoying to watch games on TV1, state run national television station, and hear the announcers rooting for Madrid. I would expect that from TeleMadrid.

The point is, it pains me to see Barca not win. A team with such talent and that is so creative and exciting to watch should have won.
But, ah well. such is life.

Any news on Henry maybe moving to Barca?

Posted by: bribri | June 18, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

FSC showed Tom Cruise and his wife kissing at the match. I just want to let all of you know that I e-mailed my friend in Madrid to apologize, on behalf of all Americans, for that gruesome scene.

Becks has a month to recover before coming to play on the soft, verdant pitches of Rice-Eccles, Reliant, and Estadio RFK. The heat and humidity will get to him before the ankle does.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 18, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Who will be the first to tell Beckham that hanging out with Tom Cruise is a very poor career move?

Posted by: Hoost | June 18, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Ray Hudson is something like Dick Vitale on mescaline. I was pretty sure that his head was going to explode after Madrid's second goal. AY YI! I wonder which luxury box scene Tom Cruise enjoyed more - watching Madrid become champions in dramatic fashion alongside Ms. Spice, or watching the Redskins lose a monday night football game alongside, er, Dan Snyder.

Posted by: stairs | June 18, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Yeesh. I hope short man wasn't a guest of the Beck-hams. Worse than a hobbly Beckham, the Galaxy doesn't need him turning on to that freaky cult. But then again, it's LA and look at what Landypants does before games and PKs. Throw in Abel "toot toot" Xavier and you got quite a crew.

Posted by: Tom Cruise in Lifts | June 18, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Beckham said in a postgame interview that he "felt something snap" during the game.

Makes me glad he doesn't come to DC until August. Plenty of time to heal.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 18, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Off topic: DC area soccer fans went 4-0 this weekend with wins by the USMNT, USWNT, United, and La Freedom.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 18, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

How many think "Maverick" and other Hollywood self important types will lower themselves to go watch the Galaxy take on the Rapids at HDC?

I mean, really, will it be like Nicholson at courtside for the Lakers?

Posted by: de | June 18, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Ray Hudson has found his calling. The match was superb: thrilling, dramatic, etc. too many superlatives apply to include here.

It wouldn't have been half as entertaining without Ray doing the PBP.

I about choked when he said something to the effect that "Tom Cruise was not worthy of the players on the field and he'd drop dead if he got a sniff of a socker player's jock strap."

Brilliant!

Posted by: Dave | June 18, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

It wouldn't have been half as entertaining without Ray doing the PBP.

I about choked when he said something to the effect that "Tom Cruise was not worthy of the players on the field and he'd drop dead if he got a sniff of a soccer player's jock strap."

Brilliant!

Posted by: Dave | June 18, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I have to say, Ray Hudson's commentary helped me enjoy the match more too -- not that it wasn't enjoyable, but he was frickin hilarious. "Nerves are jangling like a load of marbles in the spin cycle!" Ay-yi! And going off on tennis players and Hollywood celebrities ... hilarious. I was laughing every other minute at something he said.

Posted by: Kevin | June 18, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"Yeesh. I hope short man wasn't a guest of the Beck-hams. Worse than a hobbly Beckham, the Galaxy doesn't need him turning on to that freaky cult."

Whoops - too late! The Beckhams will be neighbors of Tom and Katie - they're all tight pals. Beckham is as good as sworn into the cult already. I expect John Travolta will be flying them in from Madrid in his spaceship.

Posted by: Kev | June 18, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Great game. Even as a Barca fan I can say that Madrid earned it. The way they fought back all season long validates their championship. I love Ray Hudson and La Liga.

Posted by: Chico | June 18, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"holding hands and skipping [stones]" would be Watford at the end of last season.

Now they're "I think it's gonna be a long, long time"

Posted by: Crocodile Rock, Exit 1 | June 18, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Real deserves it -- remember over the winter, when they all thought the sky was falling and that everyone was horrible, yet they were only a few points out? They made it seem like they were on the verge of relegation.

Posted by: RK | June 19, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

it's nice to see beckham winning the league again.

Posted by: cahyo | June 26, 2007 7:26 AM | Report abuse