Matchday 10: United-Fire

Greetings from Estadio RFK.....

Pitch appears to be in better condition than last week (It couldn't get any worse, could it?).

Two-plus hour before kickoff, some of the reserves who will not be in uniform tonight, plus the suspended Bobby Boswell, are working on their conditioning on the far sideline under the guidance of assistant coach Chad Ashton. Among them is Stephen deRoux. They ended the session by running the step in the lower section of seats. No sign of Sylvester Stallone. Simms, Kpene and Casal -- all recovering from injuries -- are on the active roster tonight.

Reminder: The United reserves will play a friendly at the Richmond Kickers, the defending USL2 champions, on Tuesday night. Richmond's roster includes former D.C. players Michael Burke and Robert Ssejjemba, as well as 2007 United draft pick Ricky Schramm from Georgetown.

For a closer look at Josh Gros's transition to left back, click here.

DCU STARTERS
Perkins; Namoff, McTavish, Erpen, Gros; Olsen, Carroll, Gomez, Fred; Dyachenko, Emilio. Subs: Nolly, Simms, Casal, Kpene, Addlery, Moose.

As usual, please use this forum for your pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts. I will return very late tonight with bonus quotes, brief analysis and player ratings.

THIS THREAD IS FOR UNITED DISCUSSION ONLY. PLEASE SHARE YOUR USA-PANAMA THOUGHTS IN THE PREVIOUS FORUM. MANY THANKS!

By Steve Goff  |  June 16, 2007; 4:55 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Busy Day, Eh?
Next: The Aftermath

Comments

Who's the idiot that signed the deal with HDNet? They might as well have the match on Pay Per View, what an effing joke. Games on HDNet are also unavailable through MLSnet online, how ridiculously lame is that? Mark Cuban hates soccer...

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 16, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

HDNet paid a price for exclusive rights to certain matches. Money talks...

Posted by: Goff | June 16, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

HDNET is awesome if you get it. It is on verizon fios, but not comcast in this area.

Posted by: m | June 16, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I know that rights-fees are a great thing for the league, but broadcasting on HDNet means that aprox. 8 people in the Continental US will actually watch the game on TV.

Hopefully some day in the near future, individual clubs will be able to sign their own TV deals and we won't have to deal with this b.s.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 16, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, HDNet is awesome....except listening to Celo is painful

I think Benny's gonna score another one tonight along with Dyachenko. 2-0 Vamos United

Posted by: Andrew | June 16, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I live in an area of the country that doesn't have FIOS, or Comcast, or Time-Warner... we have a local cable monopoly owned by a jerk that also has a monopoly on high-speed internet through the local phone company that he also owns. What a swell guy.

I sure picked a great time to be too broke to drive up for the match.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 16, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I agree that games on HDNet is irritating. I have the sports tier with Cox digital cable, but HDNet isn't part of it.

Posted by: noptov52 | June 16, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo, Dyachenko with the start...wish I could see how he does, but like everyone else, I don't have HDNet. Thankfully WMET 1160 streams online, so at least I can listen to the game.

Posted by: DCUfanSE | June 16, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

No HDNet on Comcast up here in the Lansing, Mi area. So I guess it will be matchtracker for me. I was surprised to see Dyachenko starting up top. I really thought we might see Fred take the withdrawn forward role.

Posted by: PJohnson | June 16, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Looks like I have to settle for WMET.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 16, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

dyachenko is a new name to me, anybody have a brief story on him

Posted by: Pablo | June 16, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know where the highlights of this match could be found after the game is over? I know there where highlights floating around the net of the last HDNET game we had. Thanks

Posted by: Murr | June 16, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Under what curcumstances would one be able to see hdnet-is it only piped into the black light discipline bunker under mark cuban's mansion?

Also, thank you goff-disregard all the haters who complain about post soccer coverage. I'm just worried about losing you on a transfer to "corriere del sport"

Posted by: just curious? | June 16, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Sylvester Stallone? I thought he's an Everton fan.

Dyachenko looking good already.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 16, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

HDNet on FIOS in MoCo, not on Comcast.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

DYACHENKO!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 16, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

GOAL DYACHENKO!!!!

Posted by: DCUfanSE | June 16, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I have RCN (digital) in DC and I get HDNet (even w/out an HDTV as long as you get the DVR decoder). It is indeed a very pretty feed.

what cable systems have HDNet
bars that get it

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

How is 4-0-2 a 6 game winning streak? Can't Mark Cuban afford grammar lessons for HDNet?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 16, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Jogo Bonito. Too bad the shot went wide. GOTW otherwise.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 16, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Dyachenko!!! Gooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: shep sucks | June 16, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

For those of us not able to watch because of work, how'd Dyachenko score?

Posted by: delantero | June 16, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Cross from the left. Lands right in from of the goal at the six. keeper misplays it and Rod cleans up. About 6th minute.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

GOAAAAAAL LUCIANO!

Posted by: ALECW81 | June 16, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

25. Gomez at midfield plays it over the defense. Emilio beats the trap and get the ball at about 25 yards out. One touch lob over the keeper. 2-0 United

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 16, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

2-Nil United!!! Emilio with his second in as many games. Beat the trap, and went over the keeper.

Delantero, if you've got internet access, you can listen to the game live on WMET at www.wmet1160.com

Vamos United!!!

Posted by: DCUfanSE | June 16, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Fred is really heating up... the Fred and Emilio show will be amazing this year.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 16, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Do they have Bobby Boswell in the box?

Posted by: Bart | June 16, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks DCUfanSE. It's almost like not working . . . . .

Yes, Boswell was in the box. He spoke of his desire for Copa America and that they'd learn their fate on 6/21.

Posted by: del | June 16, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

3-0 United. Emilio's second goal.

Posted by: Bart | June 16, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

51' Emilio. Gomez on the left side of goal, plays it through traffic. Emilio taps in. 3-0

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

53' Chicago pulls one back. Shot from the right side to the far post.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Christian's shook up...MOOOOOOOOSE subs in for him, 66'. I hope the knock Gomez took was nothing serious.

Posted by: DCUfanSE | June 16, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Great, the Revs tied and the Red Bulls/Wizards are tied too! We can make some ground up this weekend if this holds.

Posted by: d | June 16, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

United win!!!!!!!

Also, after KC took a short lead at 3-2, Angel just leveled it at 3-3 for the Pink Cows on a penalty.

Posted by: DCUfanSE | June 16, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Just Back. A Fun Match. After Benny was subbed, there were no supervising adults on the pitch for the home side. Sloppy & Wild - Highly Entertaining. With so many midfielders in the back, there was no risk of sitting on the ball. Kept the offensive threat throughout.

Posted by: SWDC Trevor | June 16, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

That was a hell of a match. La Norte got into a bit of a brawl with some Fire fan who came into their area and snapped the flagpole holding up one of their banners. My girlfriend and my parents and I were in 117 and saw it happen. Fire got what he deserved, too bad a seat got broken in the process.

Posted by: Colm | June 16, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Boy, we sure dominated this one! Shots on goal differential was ridiculous. Too bad they got the one. Sure wish Freddy or Moose had gotten their shots in the net. This could've been a 5-0 match with a little more sharpness.

Hard to rate the defense given the lack of Chicago offense. I will say Gros is very much improved in his new role at back. That's great to see! Love that guy. Just wish he could get his crosses to the goal better placed.

A few thoughts:

Fred- coming along very nicely. Should score any day now. Chemistry definitely building on offense. Question is, how good will it get?

Emilio- terrfic to see him get his second in as many games and get going again (not that the falloff was necessarily his fault)

Gomez- looking better. sure hope his injury isn't serious.

Moose- love the energy. he's definitely hungry. only criticism is he falls down a lot. yeah, its as a result of going for the ball so hard but you can't do anything down there (a la Olsen)

Dyachenko- decent game, will take a little to get him in the team's rhythm. great to see him get one.

Erpen- had his one flub (which seems to occur every game) but solid.

Perkins- i had a bird's eye view. he should have stopped that one. good game though.

Carroll- still seems to have happy feet. not a bad game but i haven't been happy w/ his play all season.

Olsen- solid
McTavish- okay

All and all, pretty darn good. No question we're improving. We'll need to do so to bring the cup back to DC. The level of competition is heating up in the league.

Greatest need for improvement I saw in this game, leading the forwards too far/lack of touch. Too many leads going out of bounds or to the goalie.

But we are going in the right direction!

Vamos United!!

Posted by: Kire | June 16, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

yay us! That was a pretty comprehensive smack down of a team in disarray. Let's do it again next week! I was impressed with all of the running off the ball tonight and lots of great quick passes. The defense was solid. Troy should have stopped that shot. But otherwise the back four was good and they all got forward when it was there. GREAT ball by McTavish to set up the 3rd goal.

I was pretty impressed with Dyachenko. I think he was worth whatever draft pick we spent. He's got a great first touch for such a big guy. He tried a few too many cutesy passes and back heels though. Way to crash the net and score a goal though.

The whole team looked good and the subs did what they needed to do. When Moose first went in there was a hole in the center of the midfield when he drifted out to the wing. But he crushed that shot that was saved right to Fred who missed badly.

SPeaking of Fred he seems to do much dribbling and takes on too many players.

What's the deal with Emilio not getting any calls? The guy gets smashed into from behind a lot but the refs refuse to do anything about it.

Posted by: Glenn | June 16, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Great game, great win, but I wanna see us win a game against a top-level MLS opponent that isn't hampered by injuries or national team call-ups or anything. If we can beat -- not tie, BEAT -- a team like that, then the butterflies in my stomach might stop moving so quickly every time I watch DCU play.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 17, 2007 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the replay on HDNet. Best picture of any footie out there. You guys should get it.....;)

Posted by: JkR | June 17, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I should clarify; I didn't watch a replay, but my HiDef DVR recording. DirecTv makes it easy....

Posted by: JkR | June 17, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Any Zidane news? Is Chivas USA negotiating w/ his reps in spain? Who has the best shot of landing him: LA, CHI, or Chivas?

Posted by: Nick | June 17, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse