Pavon Deal Done?

We told you exclusively here at the Insider on Tuesday that the Galaxy was seriously pursuing Honduran striker Carlos Pavon. Now, my man Ives up north is saying the deal is done. I have not received confirmation today, but this story seems to have nailed it. (Insider and SBI, that's all you need!)

By Steve Goff  |  June 15, 2007; 7:43 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Freddy vs. DCU? Ain't Happening
Next: Busy Day, Eh?

Comments

Insider is the red meat main course. Other blogs are dessert if we still have room.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 15, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

wow what luck the Galaxy were at the front of the allocation list again after getting Xavier too. :rooooollleeyes:

P.S. I need the Red Card too in addition to SBI and Insider ;)

Posted by: papa bear | June 15, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I read two things every day, and neither of them are the newspaper. Goff and Ives, my daily dose of football.

Posted by: Drogs | June 15, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

univision reports that salas turns down 1.4 million to play 5 months with the fire

Posted by: Adolfo | June 15, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

The offer was $22,000 per month for the rest of this calendar year, a $100,000 signing bonus next year and a $265,000 salary in '08. Chicago was awaiting a counter-offer. Perhaps they couldn't reach a deal, but $1.4 million is nowhere close to the real offer.

Posted by: Goff | June 15, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Salas would be a fool to turn down anything over $200k through November. He's good, and he would work well creating chances the Fire would otherwise go gawking at, but he won't get more elsewhere for five months' work. Strictly an 8-12 goal a year man.

As far as Goff vs Ives: I hope Goff makes a lot more money than Ives. My hat's off to Steven for sticking it to DC when things aren't right. Ives does the same thing, but he works for a rinkydink suburban paper, despite being able to work sources and turn a nice phrase.

Ives is the Shalrie Joseph of American soccer journalism: very skilled, tough as nails, working in a backwater, and woefully underpaid.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 15, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Does the NY Times or other Big Apple newspaper (News, Post, etc.)cover the greatest game up there? Or is the Times still in the stone ages, setting type by hand and not realizing its readership is moving to sports blogs like SBI and the Insider.

I agree with Drogs, these two sites are my must read each day and then listening to World Soccer Daily.

Posted by: DCU 4EVER | June 16, 2007 7:05 AM | Report abuse

The NY Times pays nearly no attention to MLS. All three local papers pay a minoimal amount of attention to MLS as part of its Tuesday soccer ghetto. RBNY gets plenty of coverage from the Star-Ledger (Tony Soprano's morning read) and the North Jersey Herald News (Ives). Another reason why they are truly a Jersey and not NY team.

I check the Insider three or four times a day, for all kinds of soccer news. I know you DC fans think you "own" Goff (despite the fact that when justified, he's more critical of United that I have ever been), but the Post is a national newspaper, and Goff has done a great job with a very supportive internet outlet.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 16, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Steve and Ives both deserve raises. Canales IMHO is under appreciated. In a just world, their raises would come out of Luis Bueno's paycheck. Remember a few months ago when Bueno trumpeted the dominance of Mexico after they beat Venezuela in a friendly? Geez! what was the guy smokin?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 16, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I can't agree with the glowing recommendations of Ives Galarcep's writing. I'm sure he's a great guy, and on non-MLS topics his writing seems fine; but when talking about the Metros, he's too much of a homer. As media homerism goes, he's in the Bretos & Feldman class rather than the Goff & Tomasch class.

Posted by: Chris | June 16, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse