Saturday in the Park

Good morning. Beautiful day here on the Wasatch Front.

A few things to chew on before United's match against RSL this evening:

*To get you in the mood for Copa America, which begins Tuesday in Venezuela, GolTV has decided to show the championship games from previous tournaments, beginning this afternoon with the 1993 final between Argentina and Mexico. Uruguay-Brazil from '95 is on tonight and, perhaps of great interest to United fans, the Bolivia-Brazil final from 1997 with Marco Etcheverry and Jaime Moreno will be shown Sunday at 10 a.m.

*Doubleheader at Giants Stadium today, but the Red Bulls are not involved. The U.S. under-20s continue their World Cup preparations by facing Chile at 2 p.m. (video on ussoccer.com). Michael Bradley, red-carded in the national team's Gold Cup semifinal Thursday, has rejoined the u-20s and is available to play today. At 5:30, the U.S. women will play the second match in their six-game World Cup Send-Off Series when they face Brazil (ESPN2).

*MLS gossip: L.A. continues to shop Santino Quaranta, but if the club is unable to reach a deal in the next few days, it could end up waiving him before July 1, the day all contracts are guaranteed for the season. If Quaranta were waived, he would be available to the rest of the league.

*RSL forward Alecko Eskandarian (you remember him, right?) provided some mild bulletin-board material for United in this morning's Salt Lake Tribune:

"They pride themselves on being the cream of the crop, and you can see by the quotes in the media and stuff that they have a bit of arrogance. They are good, and year in and year out they are one of the best teams, but we'll come out with a sense of pride and try to shut them up."

I will be back an hour or two before kickoff with pregame notes and the starting lineup.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 23, 2007; 11:05 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Benny and the Nats
Next: Matchday 11: DCU at RSL

Comments

Oy. Alecko is kindof not cool. What is the deal? Pros get traded all the time. Is he angry at DCU for that? He seems to be acting like a school girl who got her heart broken. Maybe that's strong, but hurling insults at DCU is kindof rude.

Posted by: T. Henry | June 23, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I see no insult in that statement. He says they are arrogant, but its because they are prideful and year in and year out one of the top teams. Sounds more like a compliment to me.

Posted by: Henchlow | June 23, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

What's so wrong with being arrogant anyway?

Posted by: Shatz | June 23, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Its time for alecko to let the talking be done on the field, it boggles my mind to why players with limited ability can run thier mouths like they are the cream of the crop..lol Alecko your talk will not make you play better, have a good last year with MLS I will look forward to you playing in the usl league

Posted by: Lanorte | June 23, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Nay, bring it Esky! He's the ultimate team guy and he's trying to make RSL into something good. Heck, now that Ellinger is gone I'd love to see DCU West become the second best team in the MLS (need I say second to whom). Call us arrogant, that's justified if you are good.

Posted by: DocWoo | June 23, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

All good teams are arrogant and carry themselves with some swagger. Having played on a championship team, he knows that. I don't see an insult. I think he was using his comments to stir up his own teammates.

Posted by: MattM | June 23, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Eskandarian is not going to whine about "positive spin" and "liking to think they can turn it around" the way Mapp did. I don't see any problem with his statement.

Posted by: gringo | June 23, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

No question, when Alecko uses the word "arrogant" he's paying United a compliment.

Posted by: Stan | June 23, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

as a warm up, may i recommend listening to the dwarves' 'salt lake city' before the game tonight. it's hilarious.

There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you, except the one thing that you want me to
We went across the mighty Rio Grande and saw Disneyland and the sea, you and me
But there's one thing I'll never do, not even for you
I'm not going to Salt Lake City
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you, except to walk among the Osmond crew
I know you're planning for a latter day and you can't betray what you know in Provo
But there's one less town on the globe and if you must go there you're going alone
I'm not going to Salt Lake City even if they tell me I can stay
Even if they resurrect my brain, I don't wanna go there, I don't wanna go insane
I'm not pure and I'm not pretty and I'm not going to Salt Lake City
I'm not living in Hello Kitty and I'm not going to Salt Lake City

Posted by: fever | June 23, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I love Esky. I wish he was still here.

Posted by: Tommie | June 23, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

who is carrying copa america on tv in english and spanish and are the games available online?

Posted by: paul | June 23, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

GolTV and Univision/Telefutura will show all Copa games live.

Posted by: Goff | June 23, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Goffinho.

Posted by: B.A. | June 23, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

-------
-----

it was worth turning this game on just to see how great Jorge Campos' self-styled goalkeeping outfits were.

he was wearing a pink, almost argyle-like outfit in the final at CA1995.

Posted by: Jorge Campos | June 23, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Anyone see Freddy's goal, what was it like?

Posted by: Paul | June 23, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

is the gold cup final kickoff at 3pm est?

Posted by: Jason B | June 23, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Gold Cup/Copo Oro is Sunday 3:00 EST kickoff

Posted by: Keenan | June 23, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Esky is the man. You gotta love a guy who is getting amped to play his old team. He called us out when he was in Toronto (scored) and he's doing it again. Bring it Alecko, but we're going to smoke dat a%%.

His in stride blast against the Revs at RFK in the 2005 playoffs still brings a shiver to the spine.

Posted by: London Dan | June 23, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Tino and Crystal Palace USA -- perfect together.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 23, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Freddy with a long blast up the middle off a nice, perfectly weighted cross from Altidore on the right side. Freddy had a nice finish, but that cross made the play.

Posted by: Lynn | June 23, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Crystal Palace is looking for young talented players with some potential to play in England in their future, for some reason I don't think this applies to overpaid players without alot of heart, so Tino probably is not worth their time.

Posted by: dtd | June 23, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

hmmm. first esky taking cheap shots at US media (and WaPo) by saying no front page soccer coverage, now this. it does seem like he's a bit steamed. I think he was sorta happy in Toronto because he went to a place with lots of excitement and a packed house - and he could put that in the face of DC. now that he's at RSL, he's got nothing to boast about.

Posted by: 59 | June 23, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

"first esky taking cheap shots at US media (and WaPo) by saying no front page soccer coverage, now this."

Steve: Leave the press box and foul Alecko hard. Send him to Armenia. I mean hospital.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 23, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Alecko Eskandarian is playing vs DC United tonight... this should be interesting. wish me luck. 4:14pm
Esky's Facebook page

//yes I am a loser for having been checking that all day

Posted by: sitruc | June 23, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Right now (2-4pm Sun) Fox Soccer Espanol has EEUU v Mex from the 1995 Copa on.

Marco missed a header from about 2ft out in the Bolivia game on GolTV earlier.

Who knew Cobi Jones used to be good? This game I'm watching must have been before the [redacted] started playing for the Galaxy.

Thx,