Simply the Worst

What a surprise: RSL does not win again. This time, Coach Jason Kreis gets tossed, Freddy tosses up his arms in disgust at Esky, and an injury-time strike by Dominic Oduro wins it for Dallas. Full highlights here.

Perhaps we should start an RSL first-win pool. Will they do it Sunday at one-win Los Angeles? Will they stun D.C. next weekend? Will they go the entire year winless? Or will Dave Checketts disband the club midseason to spare it further embarrassment? (um, kidding, sort of)

The upcoming schedule:
Sunday at Los Angeles
June 23 vs. DCU
July 4 vs. Toronto
July 7 at Columbus
July 14 at Kansas City

By Steve Goff  |  June 15, 2007; 8:52 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Golden Quarters
Next: Honduran Superstar

Comments

Only thing I can say is I feel bad for our ex-teammates: Adu, Esky, Rimando & Pope.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Does that mean that Kreis will not be coaching for at least the next game?

Will RSL be coachless? And won't that be considered an improvement?

Posted by: Kim | June 15, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

From what I saw, it could've been worse. Forko was getting turned left and right, and Rimando had some great positioning. He is third in save percentage. And that was Dallas without its two biggest scoring threats.

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The non-foul that Kreis was fuming over was exactly that, a non-foul. Great non-call. Re: the pool. I say they beat LA or Columbus. LA flat out sucks, RSL has been a bit unlucky.

Jeff Cassar will be coaching the next game according to the ESPN folks.

Posted by: Steve | June 15, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. What a horrible game to watch. The play was stagnant at best and the field looked awful, even (especially?) in HD. That it took the team at the top of the Western standings 'till the 93rd minute to score is pretty pitiful.

Also, I wonder if the Chinese National Team understands exactly who it was that beat them last week...

Posted by: DCBird | June 15, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Poor, poor Esky. It was so sad to see him toiling away for hapless RSL. DCU should offer up something to bring him back east.

Posted by: DE | June 15, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Steve, if RSL beat anyone its LA. But even that is a tough call.

I wonder how Freddy is dealing with being on this team?

Posted by: bribri | June 15, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Not well. Some of his passes and touches were nothing short of awful.

I understand the "fast" field as an excuse for poor first touches, but they PLAY on that field. That's THEIR field.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to Dominic Oduro (a fellow VCU alum) for a great goal to get the win.

As for the pool, count me in for an Independence Day miracle for RSL.

Posted by: VCU Alum | June 15, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

VCU blows.

Posted by: W&M Alum | June 15, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Shoddy backline. No one who can hold the ball. No one making dangerous off-the-ball runs. Jason Kreis needs to do a lot more coaching to get this team running. Do they even have a "system?"

I think Juan Toja and Dominic Oduro will be giving most of the RSL defenders nightmares for the rest of this week. No one seemed to have a clue where those two were coming from. To think that they almost escaped with a draw is proof of how thin FC Dallas' striker corps is.

I'd imagine they can muster up a home win sometime soon. I presume that they'll wait until Toronto comes to town.

Posted by: DWE4 | June 15, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how Freddy is dealing with being on this team?

I think the take home lesson is, be careful what you ask for.

Posted by: ff | June 15, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I now realize, there's no "I" in "TEAM"

Posted by: Freddy | June 15, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I think RSL's streak may rival the 1988 O's.
LA is going to thrash RSL. There is no end in sight.

Posted by: Andrew | June 15, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Good Thursday attendance of 16k, though. They sounded good on TV.

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Agree with 9:39 AM. If they can't use that field to their advantage, they have no business winning there or anywhere else and certainly don't deserve a new stadium. I want those two hours of my life back.

Put me down for the July 4th win. Esky has a bone to pick with Toronto.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 15, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh,somebody actually scored that game?? I turned it off. Horrible soccer on a crap field. What genius scheduled that as GOTW??

Posted by: Lloyd Heilbrunn | June 15, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I vote they continue winless into the all-star "break" and then trade their entire team with TFC.

-dave

Posted by: gnat | June 15, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Andrew-

LA isn't going to thrash anyone. Without Donovan, they are flat-out awful.

What a terrible game last night. How often do we have to be subjected to an HD game featuring this mediocre Dallas team? With Cooper out for awhile, Toja is the only one worth watching.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 15, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

going out on a limb here, but put me down as them finding their first win against Toronto, solely based on the Esky pissed factor.

Posted by: SF59 | June 15, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Was Dave Checketts ever a good businessman? All I know of him is that he stinks up whatever league he's in, he loses local fan support for the team he's leading, and he proves an embarrassment to the league he participates in. Would someone please pull the plug on this mistake?

Posted by: Logan Circle | June 15, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Man, they should sign Makalele but I bet they sign Keller. If they had a good holding mid, someone who would make the defense less shaky and actually be able to get the ball to Ballouchy and Adu, they might win a game.

Posted by: DCAustinite | June 15, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

So who thinks freddy has figured that his decision to ask for a trade has dfurther hindered his european aspirations? Instead of proving he can carry a team, which is virtually impossible in soccer, he is missing out on proving he can be a valuable asset to a team which is playiong in several international competitions. Man, what a horrible idea that was.

Posted by: Freddy Critic | June 15, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Well, that's what happens when you let a 12 year old make business decisions.

Posted by: DCAustinite | June 15, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

What an awful game and RSL just doesn't have a clue. They've got some great players but haven't found the chemistry if there is any. I mean, nobody will pass the ball to Freddy. You'd think he were back at United.

Posted by: beltwayrob | June 15, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

RSL is pretty weak everywhere. Esky aside, their forwards are possibly the worst in the league. They could have decent flank play if they used it, Ballouchy is barely adequate as the playmaker, and defensive midfield is so thin that they're playing Harris there. Jack Stewart continues to start despite having a nightmare of a season.

Institute relegation on a one-off basis, just to get rid of them.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 15, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

"I wonder how Freddy is dealing with being on this team?"

Are you kidding? Freddy was so bad at holding onto the ball I was pretty sure he had a magnetic field repelling it. He's definitely part of the problem.

Posted by: The Goo | June 15, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

What the heck is wrong with Esky? Freddy was so freaking open for that pass yet he turns into pressure then shoots?

RSL is in poor shape - at least Nick looked good.

Posted by: bobf | June 15, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

And Jack Stewart is trying to become a Canadian citizen so that he can play for them...major loss for the Nats!

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that was painful. How can it be that RSL has not figured out how to play the turf on their home field? Dallas never figured it out either, but they only see it twice a year.

Esky really blew it taking a 25 yard prayer with Freddy wide open. There's clearly no team play, cohesion, or system to this team. Kreis might be a good leader, but I suspect this situation calls for a more seasoned coaching approach.

While the final non foul that got Kreis tossed may in fact have been a non-foul, it was at least the equivalent of the foul called against Freddy on what would have been a breakaway 20 minutes previous. If you missed it, Freddy shouldered an opponent off the ball (yes he did!) and had nothing but plastic grass in front of him, save the whistle.

I felt bad for the DC Alums, except Nicky, who's making the most of his chance to show he still has chops...

Posted by: JkR | June 15, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

in defense of Freddy, he was wide open. Had Esky passed the ball to him they would have been up 1 goal and the rest of the game would have been different.

here's the play-by-play as viewed inside the players head:

Esky:"i see you Freddy but this goal is mine there is no way i gonna let you steal my thunder"
Freddy:"I'm open. pass it. pass it. Common let me score the goal and save the day for this sucky team. i don't believe he did not pass it to me, you selfish mutha-f.."

Posted by: texans | June 15, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

So terrible -- even a great game would be difficult to watch on that turf, and RSL make FC Miami seem like the 1970 Brazilian World Cup team (ok, so FC Miami still plays some guys from that team, but ...)

Posted by: Harry | June 15, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

i think freddy had every right to wave his arms at esky for that. he was wide open by 10 yards at the top of the 18, and esky puts a weak shot on the keeper with two defenders on him.

i doubt freddy realized how much the field at RSL would affect his game. he did have that nice run and goal against RSL a couple years ago, but that field is a technical player's nightmare.

Posted by: pat | June 15, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I watched this game, hoping that Esky and Nicky and Freddy would play well. So, Freddy wants to play in the middle of the field, to start on an MLS team playing his preferred position of CAM. He goes to SLC, and promptly starts playing the almost identical position that he played here...left wing. Wow. Great move.

Posted by: the cheat | June 15, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"Everyone *but* Oduro should have been yellow carded for wearing those baby blue pajama tops. Oduro has the sense to take his off."

Dude, that's gray... you need a new TV.

Nice to see that Dave Kasper's crystal ball is working very well... nice trades off-season all around...

BTW, I have Eddie Pope's jersey from the win over Vasco in Miami in 1998... I thought some day I'd be worth something... not so sure any more...

Posted by: SoyManya! | June 15, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I think RSL will beat LAG this weekend. As tough as they were to watch, I think Kreis' team is finally mad or embarrassed enough to play a full 90 minutes. LAG is really hurting and, I think, will be disorganized in the back (espeically if they try to play a flat back three now that Marshall is gone). Esky should have a field day if he can get decent service. A win by this Real may make the other Real look more interesting to Mr. Beckham! :)

Posted by: Crazy Al | June 15, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

And Freddy is supposedly gonna be the CAPTAIN of the U.S. U-20 team next month in Canada?!?

After watching him last night, Gawd help us.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 15, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

LA v RSL is likely to be another drab 0-0. I don't see them beating us but I think it will be a difficult match. But I think TFC is the game they will squeak out a win, but it won't be easy.

Posted by: Glenn | June 15, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Freddy goes on strike, refusing to play, somewhat like Amado Guevara
They beat Columbus 1-0 with a goal by Kreis, coming back from retirement

Posted by: Garret | June 15, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

without getting too deep into the Big Soccer redundancy, it's enough to make you pine for relegation.

(They don't even need to take anyone up from USL, either)

Posted by: mcmillan | June 15, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Man, that highlight reel makes it look like Freddy had a good game. A couple of sweet passes... the attempted no-touch step-over (which, was almost... ALMOST... an amazing play).

I'll probably regret saying it, but he's still the only US player I see who regularly "sees" the game--sometimes--in a very creative way. He doesn't execute on the vision, granted, but the fact that he has it will always make me optimistic about him.

Posted by: DupedByHighlights | June 15, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to argue that RSL will beat TFC. I think it's well-established that Esky plays at his worst when there's an emotional component to the game. Look at all those post-concussion games against Reis. All he wanted was to slam a trademark Esky-shot past Reis, but he could never, ever actually do it.

RSL will not defeat TFC. There, I said it.

Posted by: Beaker | June 15, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Adu be transferring to Europe today, anyway?

Posted by: RK | June 15, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

It's painful to watch RSL. They played like a USL-2 team in the first half. When they were one a run last year no one seemed to beleive that it was more luck than skill + good tactics. Surely they realize that now. Then again, had RSL held onto Cunningham, they may have scored a goal or three and got in a win. My money's on them failing to get a win before the all-star game.

And when did Alecko become such a big baby? Come on AE, when you just 5 feet through the air into a guy and get hurt, crying about it doesn't change that you were the dumb-butt who got yourself hurt.

And yes, that was a great non-call. I wonder if Kreis went over the top in his reaction out of desperation to get his team to do something.

Posted by: Allen | June 15, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Crazy Al, where do you get RSL to beat LAG this weekend? RSL cant put itself together and LAG has a new defender from EPL coming in (Xavier), not to mention a new forward (Buddle) who is hungry to score and prove his worth to his new team. Buddle is also reuniting with his old Crew buddy Martino. LAG is barely a step away from powering itself into the top 3 teams of the western conference. Mark my words - but dont use a permanent marker :)

Posted by: shirteesdotnet | June 15, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

shirteesdotnet,

I don't disagree with your thoughts. Xaiver is a big (literally) pick up for LAG. I'm not as high on Buddle as you are, but he does have something to prove. I'm just thinking about Ty Harden as the right fullback on a three man line. (Think DCU's defense the first couple of games this year, but without the speed.) There is a lot of space for RSL to exploit and Xavier good but not that good. (I think!?!) :)

Posted by: Crazy Al | June 15, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse