The Aftermath

I've got an early flight home so I am going to make this snappy.

Ugh.

How fortunate was United to not be down 2-0 (at least) at the half? If not for Nate Jaqua's feet of stone, this could have been over early. United showed signs of life in the second half, but couldn't sustain it. On a positive note, it was the club's first shutout and stretched its unbeaten streak to five.

I think it's safe to say that, come September (or even next week, for that matter), no one on either team or in the stands will remember this match even took place. D.C. played L.A. this year? Really? When?

PLAYER RATINGS
Perkins 6; Namoff 4, Boswell 5, Erpen 5, Simms 5; Fred 5, Olsen 5, Gomez 4, Gros 4; Moreno 4, Emilio 4. Subs: Kpene 5, Casal 4, Dyachenko no rating.

Fred left the game with leg cramps, nothing serious.

Perkins was upset with Donovan, who clipped the goalie in the jaw while pursuing a ball in the box in the second half.

"I'm not happy about that, but obviously it's Landon and he'll get away with it every time," Perkins said. "It happens, I don't appreciate it and I'll let him know. He said he went for the ball, but I don't know how he went for the ball and hit me in the face."

More details and quotes in my game report on washingtonpost.com.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 3, 2007; 1:11 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday 8: DCU at L.A. (Plus USA-China)
Next: When Stuck at LAX.....

Comments

I thought Simms played fairly well after moving to his more comfortable position. Any chance he takes over DM from the so far underwhelming Brian Carroll? If not, might he be tried at left back, with Namoff staying to the right?

In my opinion Simms might have been DC's best player in the Champions Cup. Also, I might be wrong, but wasn't Simms out for most or all of the three game losing streak to start the season?

I also wonder what rating Soehn gets for the game?

Posted by: Dancy | June 3, 2007 3:02 AM | Report abuse

I was not suprised to see DCU lack a creative attack. With Jaime back in the lineup and no players on the wing that are capable of sending a decent cross, we will continue to try and walk the ball up the middle. My co-ed rec team could have shut DCU down last night.

Posted by: CVS | June 3, 2007 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Caption of the photo on the online version:

""Facundo Erpen of D.C. United, right, can't pull away from Justin Moose of the Galaxy. (By Harry How -- Getty Images)""

Posted by: de | June 3, 2007 7:19 AM | Report abuse

It's rather pathetic that we couldn't do more against a team missing 5 starters.

Posted by: del | June 3, 2007 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Who let Donnet back on the field? And his twin brother?

Sorry but acquiring Fred and Emilio was about as great as getting Donnet to boost our team last year...time to rethink our roster.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 3, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Goff, nothing on EJs spontanious combustion in your MLS notes?

I remeber on one of the first posts of the season asking if KC was the real thing and going to pull through this year.

I think they have answered it. Its not just a winning team its great soccer and fun to watch...unlike the DC vs. LA game last night.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 3, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

KC's no doubt real, but I'd like to wait to see the return game in two weeks to proclaim them the class of the league. They got Mathis sent off with a bit of clever gamesmanship and picked apart a ten-man Red Bulls side with 3/4 of their defense out. No MLS player has even been as comprehensively humiliated as Taylor Graham last night. And though KC had all the cards, a battered, undermanned NY team came very close to a late draw after a great Kovalenko goal and a scary-good run through the penalty area that Sinisa made.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | June 3, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Gros is a liability. Time for him to sit.

Posted by: Captain Obvious | June 3, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

What did Moreno add to this game? I think I can recall one time where I actually saw him moving with or without the ball at with pace. The guy seems to have no energy. Always pacing himself, but for what?

Posted by: marcus | June 3, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is Moreno done? Yes Emilio has been slumping a bit, but when they subbed him for Kpene, I was stunned. I say Kpene and Emilio up front. Moreno was dispossessed or just flat out lost the ball too many times. We just can't seem to score goals, unless it is a Moreno PK. We are just not a good team right now. Playoffs are a possibility (I know it is early still) but even if we make it, we ain't going anywhere. Here is looking at 2008.

Posted by: steve | June 3, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

What Steve said.

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | June 3, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Kpene should start. He had the desire to score. and what's up with Fred's socks? Is he allowed to wear different ones?

Posted by: DC fan | June 3, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought Simms was our best player last night. I don't know if I'd say he should replace Carroll (who had been very good in the past 3 games after a terrible start), but I thought he did well.

Emilio should have been left in. He looked more dangerous last night than in previous weeks.

All in all, a disappointing performance for DC. I thought this would be a great game for us to have a relatively stress-free win. The 2nd half wasn't that bad (we were all over them for a stretch), but the first half was quite poor.

I have to side with Perkins on his problem with Donovan. Donovan could have hopped over or picked his leg up more, but dragged the front of his foot across Perkins' head. If Donovan was going for the ball, he was missing it by about a foot, which a player of his ability shouldn't do.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 3, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't give up on the season yet. United's got a good squad and some young attackers that can improve as they get more experiance. Moreno looks bad though, if they don't figure out how to get him going or get him on the bench there will be problems.

A true winger (or wingback) through trade or DP could really change the equation. Any chance we can swing a trade for Beckham?

Posted by: noptov52 | June 3, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Double Ugh....

That was really bad. United's play seems to have dropped right back to where they were at the begining of the season. The difference was LAs' unbelieveable lack of finishing and the 442 which helped to mask some of the errors with extra men back.

I'm sorry, but Gomez and Moreno are shadows of of the way they played last year. Neither one of them is playing well. And if you take away the impact of Gomez's restarts, his play is worse than it may appear on the surface.

United looks like a team that may squeek in the playoffs. Once there can't see how they won't get bounced right out in the first round.

Posted by: nick | June 3, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Can we plead with Bolivia's coach to call up Moreno? Jesus. If I see one more pass land five feet behind an onrushing teammate, I'm gonna blow.

If you couldn't find Moreno on the field, he was the one begging for the ball, screwing up our chances, and then yelling at teammates after the ball dribbled out of bounds for another goal kick.

Posted by: Logan Circle | June 3, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

As many have stated, Moreno needs to become a super-sub. Period. He's been dangerous in the few matches he's come off the bench late to run at a tired defense. Let Emilio and Kpene wear out the defense for the first 70+ minutes, then bring Jaime on for whomever looks more tired or less dangerous.

Again, a 0-0 draw is not the end of the World. Yes, United should have blown out the undermanned Galaxy, but bad matches happen, and the narrow field helped neither side in this one. I don't know why the league has allowed LA to shrink the field at HDC, if a stadium is capable of holding an 80x120 pitch, it should. No exceptions.

I was glad to see Gros back in the midfield, but FFS, somebody please teach him how to cross. I love his work rate and determination, but I'd much rather see him on the right, so he won't have to do that super-predictable cut-back when he runs to the corner to get the ball to his dominant right foot.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 3, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Goff - I was surprised to read in your article that Cobi is 37. It's weird to see him running up and down the wings so much, I guess I've gotten used to the standing around our 32 and 33 year olds do all game.

Posted by: pat | June 3, 2007 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Moreno is done as a starter. Soehn needs to make that clear now, not just bench him for one game and then start him again. I really wonder if Jaime has enough speed any more even to be a "super" sub.

Gomez jumped the shark sometime last year.

I don't see this team winning anything this year. I hope I am wrong.

Posted by: Ron | June 4, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

The problem with the offense does not seem to be so much that Gomez is past his prime or Moreno too old. The other MLS teams seem to know that they just need to pack the middle to stop United's offense. As Moreno and others have said, the team needs to learn how to mount an attack from the outside, but it does not have the kind of players who can do so effectively. Olsen is trying and delivered some pretty good crosses, but he lacks the speed to beat out defenders. Gros has the speed but not the passing ability (and besides, Soehn has him playing left back).

Still, United's best opportunities came from the outside -- Olsen and Moreno crossing to Emilio and Fred.

On a slightly different note, I'm going to miss the intensity Cobi brings to the game, even if it has been in a Galaxy uniform. I look forward, though, to seeing him in the broadcast booth. He was pretty insightful and personable on FSC's World Cup shows last summer. A definite improvement over most of Fox's other analysts (except for Bobby McMahon).

Posted by: ho | June 4, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Bring back Earnie Stewart!

Posted by: Logan Circle | June 4, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree with Ho's posting. Our attack will improve as will Emilio's performance when he begins to get proper service from the wings.

Posted by: rob | June 4, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

At what point are we going to send through balls up front? Why aren't we utilizing th midfield and trying to back up the defense that way? It would seems to me that if we can't cross the ball (and we can't), then we need to be more creative on the attack in the middle. We didn't send one ball through and I know Emilio was trying to get himself into position for a run on a couple of occasions.

Posted by: gomez4prez | June 4, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse