The Aftermath

DATELINE: IHOP Ballston. (We went with the blueberry and apple-cinnamon pancakes, absolutely no whipped topping, and some golden hash browns on the side.)

A predictable result against a very depleted Chicago club. Once United got that early goal, it put the club in position to dictate the game and draw Chicago out of the bunker. A solid effort all around, few letdowns, some good stuff from new starters McTavish and Dyachenko, and at the end of the day, a seven-game unbeaten streak heading to Salt Lake next weekend.

Game report here.

PLAYER RATINGS
Perkins 5; Namoff 6, Erpen 6, McTavish 6, Gros 6; Olsen 6.5, Carroll 6.5, Fred 7, Gomez 7; Dyachenko 6, Emilio 7.5. Subs: Moose 6, Addlery 5, Simms 5.

BONUS QUOTES BELOW.....

LUCIANO EMILIO
(Playing with Dyachenko) I don't see a difference when I play with Rod as to when I play with Jaime. I think Tommy feels confident playing Rod up top, he's a good player, he's a player who has similar characteristics like Jaime, he holds the ball very well and creates.
(On his goal celebration) I always looked to the matadors, the bullfighters, and always wanted to do something similar to what Blanco or Salas does. So I figured the next time I score I was going to do a celebration like that.
ROD DYACHENKO
(On the goal) I think it was an instinct type of thing. I just went in thinking maybe he will bobble it. I saw the ball bounce a little. Usually they cover it up, but today I got fortunate.
TROY PERKINS
That early goal changed the game. You don't want to go into halftime up by a goal or tied, it's a different game, they can pack it in and play for the draw. But with it 2-0 at halftime, it opened up for us.
BEN OLSEN
(On the early goal) That's a tough one for them and a fortunate one for us. It was some good early stuff anyway from us and it just capped off and increased our momentum and helped us push forward.
(On his performance with a buzz cut) I felt a little sleeker, a little faster. I cramped again, though. I've got to change my diet or something.
BRIAN CARROLL
That was our goal to start strong and get an early goal. We haven't been getting the best results against Chicago lately and that was important for us. It gave us some confidence and allowed us to go forward and press even more.
Getting that early goal, it just made them come out and play us instead of them sitting back and being able to counterattack, which is what they want to do. We're happy with the way we started and the way the rest of the game unfolded.
TOM SOEHN
They were bunkering in and to get teams out of that you have to score. Our guys went after them pretty good, pressured them and created a few good quality chances early in the game.
(On Dyachenko) He made some things happen and at other times, he can still find the openings a little faster. But that comes with experience. So any chance we get to give some young guys experience it goes a long way for later on in the season.
(On McTavish) He did very well. He had a couple moments with the ball where he turned it over in bad spots, but for the most part, he created a goal, he stepped in at the right times, he did very well.
(On possible call-ups for Copa) I'm not going to listen to my phone. If they are watching our games, they should be calling. I have had conversations with them already and we always move forward with the idea that you are going to lose some guys and give other guys opportunities. It's part of the business.
(More on Rod) He's made a lot of progress. He didn't come into the season fit, he had an injury that kept him out a while, but he's worked really hard to get back. He earned a shot and did pretty well with it.

By Steve Goff  |  June 16, 2007; 11:21 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday 10: United-Fire
Next: Olympic Flashback

Comments

Fun game. It's nice to see United take on a team they should dominate, and then do exactly that.

Posted by: Goose | June 17, 2007 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff, I haven't seen anything here or in your column this morning about the knock Gomez took that necessitated his departure from the match. Is he OK?

Posted by: Chris | June 17, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Nice quotes. Benny's going to change his diet? Maybe he should go to IHOP.

Emilio mentioned Blanco and Salas. Pure coincidence or a veiled request for more money?

How will Soehn & Co. prepare for the atrocious field in Salt Lake City, train in the parking lot?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 17, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

It was a fun game to watch even if it was against a depleted team. I think the new faces did a good job but I was most impressed with Emilio. He was a constant threat and made chances with some take aways on the defensive side of things too. Good stuff.

Posted by: Niv | June 17, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

With Dyachenko scoring, 5 DCU players have. Fred looked good, but was getting frustrated at the end. Here's hoping he scores soon.

I guess HDNet games don't get video clips on MLSnet.com? What a shame.

Posted by: Nogra Rover | June 17, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Goff:

Fred had another good game; however, he still hasn't had a game demonstrating the sort of dominance displayed during his A-League tenure. Is there any sense of frustration by Fred or any chatter among the team?

Posted by: Mickey | June 17, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Word on the message boards is that Gomez went off due to injury, do you have anything on that?

Posted by: Sean | June 17, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Fred is looking dangerous and as long as we're winning I think he'll be ok. I think we can safely assume that MLS is better than A-League and that as long as Fred is contributing, healthy and DC United wins then everyone's happy.

Why did Emilio mock Blanco? Maybe while playing in Honduras he developed a healthy disdain for hunchback. He mentioned Blanco and Salas as if he were singling out Chicago. Sorta wierd since neither has played in the league and Salas doesn't have a contract. If Emilio was trying to align himself with some of the all-star fowards that have been signed you would think he would see Angel.

Posted by: Gus | June 17, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Gomez seemed okay after the game. I'll follow up when practice resumes Tuesday.

Emilio wasn't mocking anyone; he just wanted to have fun with a goal celebration. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Posted by: Goff | June 17, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

dude where wsa all this in todays post? all we got was a weak AP soccer roundup thing on the back page.

Posted by: henry | June 17, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The DC story was on the Sports front in whatever edition goes to upper MoCo - except that IHOP stuff. Maybe that's in Sunday Source on the road trip section.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 17, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

----

dude, what are you talking about? The DC United story was on the top of the front page of every edition except the very early one that was published before the game ended.

Posted by: Goff | June 17, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Man, the lack of even 3 minutes of highlights really blows.

Posted by: Viv | June 17, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone that it was an entertaining game, and that we really should be winning games like this with ease. That was essentially a Chicago reserve side.

I'm eager to see us in our current form against a well-rested, good team. Over this 7-game streak, there's something you can say that takes away a bit from most games:

2-1 over Chivas - ground it out
2-1 @ Toronto - ground it out
2-1 over Houston - Dynamo still slumping at that point
0-0 @ LA - Thank you, Nate Jaqua
4-2 over NY - They were tired and missing a few players
3-1 over Chicago - Fire reserves never had a chance

Not to overlook RSL, but our games after that are a bit more challenging. Colorado at home, at KC and Houston in a 4 day span, and Dallas at home before the all-star break. If we can extend this unbeaten streak to then, it would be very impressive. The streak has been good, but it's also what this team should produce given the opposition. Let's see how we do against a more stern challenge.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 17, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Love the comments but please stop rating players! Your ratings have no value...two goals and a 7.5? That's stupid...

Keep the quotes coming!

Posted by: Nick | June 17, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up, amigo. Fans generally love player ratings, whether they appear here or on another Web site. They're fun to do and fun to scrutinize.

Here's how my ratings work: Everyone starts at 5. You go up and and down as the game progresses. They're obviously subjective. Emilio's first goal was nicely finished, his second goal was a joke. Overall he played very well, holding the ball in traffic and presenting a persistent threat. Thus, a 7.5.

Posted by: Goff | June 17, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

And....its his website...so...he can put whatever he wants on here. I like the ratings. Pretty nice objective way of looking at the players.

Posted by: Mike | June 17, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

What -- no Real Madrid winning La Liga thread? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 17, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Real.

I'm trying to take Father's Day off.

Maybe tomorrow...

Posted by: Goff | June 17, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"I'm trying to take Father's Day off."

Not so fast, the Freedom play at 6 PM.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 17, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

It is great real madrid could win a championship w/o franco's security forces threatening anyone.

Posted by: barca and bitter | June 17, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

So seriously, there's no video highlights ANYWHERE online? This is a joke. If the MLS wants to sell rights to HDNet then they at least need to carry highlights on their website.

Posted by: Shatz | June 17, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

In Sunday's NYT, Jack Bell reports that the Mets organization may be interested in bringing an MLS franchise to Queens in 2010 or so. According to Bell, the league front office apparently regards a second team in the NYC area as a higher priority than a first team in any of the other cities in the running, identified in this article as: Philadelphia; Atlanta; St. Louis; Seattle; San Diego; Las Vegas; Portland; and Vancouver. (San Jose is apparently a lock to get the 14th team before any of them.) More at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/sports/soccer/17mls.html.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | June 17, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I caught a bit of FC Toronto's victory over FC Dallas on Telefutura earlier today. Although the FC Toronto Web site reports an attendance of about 20,000, there seemed to be a lot of empty seats on camera. Are they still routinely selling out there?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | June 17, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Like Mike said...it's your website:)
7.5 rating +- Standard Error (SE) of 1.25...works for me.

Even though I hate your ratings...I still love the site.

Posted by: Nick | June 17, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Standard error? Excuse me?

Let's see your player ratings and maybe we can compare...

Posted by: Goff | June 17, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Goff, you run a tight ship.
I can respect that:)

Last week I thought Olsen should have been a 10 with the Hat Trick and this week I'd rate Emilio a little higher than you did. My rating= 8 to 8.5...it's just my opinion. The guy won the game for us up top...we're all hoping for more of the same.

One match this season someone is going to get a 10 rating from you!

Posted by: Nick | June 17, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

always feels good to hear good news from DCU.

Posted by: cahyo | June 18, 2007 7:28 AM | Report abuse

"In Sunday's NYT, Jack Bell reports"

I don't believe this. The New York Times never writes about MLS. This post is a hoax.

Actually, Garber was interviewed at halftime of one of the matches and named NYC among the expansion candidates. Why? Because there are so many soccer fans in the NY area who can't get tickets to the sold out NYRB matches.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 18, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

For those complaining about Goff's ratings, he is probably using a similar rating that is used by Sam's Army for their polls on the National Team's games. See it at:

Basically, no one ever gets a 10. An 8 gets you "player of the match".

Posted by: Dsmac | June 18, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The latest WashPost catchphrase is "Read what you need." If you don't like ratings, don't read them (I don't). Criminey, it ain't like you're paying to read the blog.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 18, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Goff, thanks for the lowdown on the one that got by Perkins. I was sure he had it and then he didn't. To find out the baseball field had an effect makes me feel a bit better about it. Well, sort of. ;-)

Posted by: Kire | June 18, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Another great game although against a depleted team....however

This is the second game in a row we have dominated the match and yet still gave up a quick return goal.

Soehn should have them on the field doing push-ups for it. Getting lazy after scoring a goal and allowing the other teams to get quick ones is something you would hope not to see at this level.
No excuse for the Chicago goal or the last two NY goals, just pure laziness.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 18, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

This was the first United game I was at this season and I think the Screaming Eagles/ Barra Brava were incredible and deserve a congratulation.

Posted by: Wade | June 18, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"I think the Screaming Eagles/ Barra Brava were incredible and deserve a congratulation."

I second that. The flag-waving sea of black jerseys came through loud and clear on HDNet. Felicidades amigos!

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 18, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Maybe someone here has the answer: what's the deal with keeping the first four rows of section 231 through 235 (or thereabouts) empty during Saturday's game? I sit in row 5, and while it's nice to be able to stretch my legs over the seatback (for the 5 minutes we're not on our feet cheering), it feels odd to have this enormous gap between the supporters clubs and the rest of the fans. These seats have never been packed, but I've never seen ushers absolutely prohibiting people from using them.

Posted by: JonboyDC | June 18, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse