United News and Notes

Man, it's hot out there. As you can imagine, DCU training session did not last long. Half the team was absent anyway because of tonight's friendly at Richmond. (Few regulars will face the Kickers.)

Anyway.....

-- I asked Dave Kasper about the reports in the Bolivan media that veteran defender Juan Manuel Pena is possibly on his way to United. Kasper said the club had been contacted by Pena's representatives and, while DCU will keep an eye on him at Copa America, they have no interest at the moment.

-- Bobby Boswell injured his foot/leg in training today after getting "stomped" (his word) by Ben Olsen, but after a long treatment session, he said he would be fine for this weekend's match at Real Salt Lake. "I'm like the Wolverine -- I heal pretty quickly," he said.

-- Troy Perkins has joined Boswell, Olsen and Bryan Namoff on the preliminary list for possible Copa America selection. The deadline to submit Copa rosters is Thursday. I will have more on this subject later tonight on washingtonpost.com and in Wednesday's print editions.

-- Christian Gomez, who hurt his right foot in the second half on Saturday's victory over Chicago, trained today and although he said it hurts when he kicks, he expects to play at RSL.

-- Luciano Emilio was named MLS player of the week after his two-goal performance vs. Chicago. Olsen won it last week.

-- Kasali Yinka Casal has gone to Nigeria for under-20 training camp and, if he's selected for the World Cup final roster, he won't return to United for several weeks.

-- United officials want you to know that Peruvian legend Nene Cubillas and former Honduran star Gilberto Yearwood will be at RFK to meet and greet fans as part of the Latin American festival before the July 14 match against Dallas. Details to come...

By Steve Goff  |  June 19, 2007; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Beckham Watch
Next: United Falls at Richmond

Comments

So with Emilio getting player of the week, his goals must have been pretty sweet. Man, I'm sure people would like to see the highlights on mlsnet.com. Why such a delay? Any ideas Goff?

Posted by: Mike | June 19, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Juan Manuel pena would be a great center defender. He has experience playing in spain for villareal, and is great for bolivia in the back as hes the most experience defender we have and depend on him to control the back line. His only down fall is hes somewhat injury prone.

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | June 19, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Dang! I would have liked to have heard about Casal's reaction to the current weather.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The possibility of losing Perkins is kinda scary

Posted by: Pino | June 19, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

any update on the beckham ankle?

Posted by: ngu | June 19, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Pino, it's not as scary as losing both Boswell and Namoff would be.

Goff, Does Kasper ever give you hints as who they ARE interested in? Or does he just routinely deny, deny, deny until the deal is done?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 19, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

oh PLEASE please i hope United sign Pena, the more bolivianos the better....and maybe while they're at it they can sign Arce :D

Posted by: DjB | June 19, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

oh PLEASE please i hope United sign Pena, the more Bolivianos the better....and maybe while they're at it they can sign Arce :D

Posted by: DjB | June 19, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I was all set up for a bad Casal-related joke, but it's actually cooler in Lagos than it is here.

Posted by: d, dc | June 19, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The concept of losing Perkins is not scary.

The concept of playing Jay Nolly is scary.

Posted by: Kim | June 19, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Wikipedia says he is with Villareal, but it hasn't been updated since last year. Is this still true?

And I thought we were looking for a young defender, i.e. long-term solution. Pena is 34. I forsee problems: big transfer fee, fitting him under the cap, finding a replacement next year...

Any thirty-something defender not named Roberto Carlos is unwelcome by me.

Posted by: Dan | June 19, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

It's "Wolverine," as in, the comic book character. Boswell is no Wolverine.

Posted by: Balto | June 19, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Pena is 34 years old. Not sure how much money he would want. A lot of factors beyond a player's abilities go into a possible signing. Don't hold your breath on this one...

DCU officials never say who they are monitoring. All information that appears on the Insider or in the paper comes from sources outside the club. Teams rarely talk about possible targets -- business is business.

Emilio's first goal was very nice. His second goal was the easiest he will ever score in his life. Not sure why MLS does not put together a highlight package from HDNet matches.

Posted by: Goff | June 19, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Wanna piece of this, Bub?

Posted by: Logan | June 19, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"Any thirty-something defender not named Roberto Carlos is unwelcome by me."

Can someone pls educate this fool on Pena por favor?!

Posted by: DjB | June 19, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey, at least Boswell didn't say "I'm like the Cheerleader." Save me. Save the world.

Posted by: Claire Bennet | June 19, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Nick back? I mean he can't be the weakest link at RSL.

Posted by: ER | June 19, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Losing Boswell, Perkins and Namoff would be very frightening indeed.

That'd leave us Nolly, Erpen, Wilson, McTavish, Gros and no room for injuries . . .

I'd hate to lose any, but even losing 2 of the 3 would be bad.

Posted by: del | June 19, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

del, don't forget simms and burch would still be available...

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

At first I thought the reference to Cubillas was for a DCU tryout, then I remembered that Ray Hudson was no longer the coach. :-)

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 19, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I can see Bradley taking some of our guys to sort of "spread the pain" around MLS and to get some good will with other teams. But I think losing Olsen and Moreno for the leadership factor alone would seariously cripple the offense. I Rod and Guy can cover the position up front, but man, that would suck for on field leadership without Olsen. I think the other guys have heart, but Olsen and Moreno are the sould of DCU. With them both gone I think team chemistry will suffer as much as taking two of our best backline players. I think we are getting better at covering with team defending, but I hate to imagine no Perkins as well. Yikes! Imagine how it would feel to hand RSL their first victory this season!!!

Posted by: T. Henry | June 19, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

at least we picked up the points now..how many games exactly, and against who can we expect to miss the copa america call ups.

Posted by: ngu | June 19, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised Emilio won POTW. His first goal was indeed very nice -- he timed his run well to avoid the offside trap, then lifted a neat little floater over the advancing keep's (name is eluding me at the moment) head. The second goal was entirely of the "right place at the right time" variety.

My choice would have been Chivas' keep, Brad Guzan, for another stellar performance in net.

Posted by: iammrben | June 19, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I should've won Player of the Week. Stupid voters.

Posted by: Landon Donovan | June 19, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

WOLVERINES!

Posted by: Chico | June 19, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Pena, is a highly experienced defender who has played in la liga for close to if not 10 years of his career. He has been with villareal since 04, and was a starter for them when well, his only problem is he's injury prone. Hes a perfect defender to bring in for the superliga, and sudamericana given his experience. He could teach our Defense alot, and finish his career here, which IMO would be awsome!

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | June 19, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"del, don't forget simms and burch would still be available..."

Simms as an outside back or central defender? Has Burch ever played an MLS match before . . . plus he's listed as a forward.

Posted by: d | June 19, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff wrote earlier that Burch is being converted to a defender by United (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/25/AR2007052502276.html)

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 19, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Chico:

Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone...

one of the greatest movies ever made...never trust European Greens.

Posted by: bribri | June 19, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Bradley can call whomever he likes for the Copa. Whether or not United will release them is a different story. I'd tell Bob he can only take one. Neither Bozilla or Namoff are really National Team quality defenders, and Perkins definitely hasn't played a strong enough season thus far to warrant a call up. Bennie is the only one I could see making a real impact on the Nats, and as much as I'd miss him, he's the only one I feel deserves the call-up.

Posted by: AlecW81 | June 19, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Nicaragua's population in the '80s was around 4 million, so an army of 500,000 would have been about 1 out of every 8 persons . . .

But never fear, the Greens Party actually lost the 1986 elections to the Chitlins Party.

Posted by: gringo | June 19, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Goff, are you headed to Chicago to cover the Gold Cup at all?

Posted by: Paul TAJ | June 19, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Greens. Major League A**holes. Fortunately Germany and France have swung to the right. The UK will soon come under my influence. My plan is coming to fruition. It all started with Red Dawn.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Dick Cheney | June 19, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I will be in Chicago Thursday, in Salt Lake Saturday and, if the airline gods cooperate, back in Chicago in time for the Gold Cup final Sunday.

Posted by: Goff | June 19, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'd love to see Nene again. It's been 20+ years, and he's ALWAYS been a class act. He's one of those guys you never hear about, but he was probably one of the three best in the world in his day, and he spent a LOT of time here, coaching, teaching and being a hell of a role model.

There are quite a few guys from the NASL days who have stayed and made their livelihood by growing soccer here in the States. Without these guys, we'd be nowhere. As much stick as he gets around here, Rongen is one of those guys. Nene is another.

That "double touch" inside-out move is his. Dempsey loves that move. Christiano Ronaldo pulls that one out from time-to-time as well. Mind you, Nene's the only one I've seen who could pull that move back-to-back at full speed. It's one thing to do it at full speed. It's totally another to do it back-to-back. Doing it back-to-back, AT full speed? That'll tie any defender's legs in a knot.

It'll be good to see him again, for any reason.

Posted by: Dan le Rouge | June 19, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I saw Nene playing in a 6 v 6 indoor exhibition at Soccerfest (one of the promo events surrounding WC '94 in LA.) Other notable players on the 'field'? Roger Milla and Seamus Malin.

Nene and Milla showed deft touch and surprising speed.

More spectators knew Malin than any of the real players.

Posted by: MattM | June 19, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

"Bradley can call whomever he likes for the Copa. Whether or not United will release them is a different story."

Unfortunately this is not the case. I read somewhere (maybe SBI) that MLS owns all player contracts and released all players to Bradley to choose whomever he wants. Team owners have no say (but I am sure there is some wheeling and dealing going on).

Posted by: DCU 4EVER | June 19, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

-------

Posted by: Goff | June 19, 2007 05:46 PM
--------

that's some excellent coverage.
you should try to get over to Vegas on Friday to give us an update on their MLS expansion plans.

Posted by: traveler | June 19, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Dangit! I was sure that Emilio's 2nd goal would be a GOTW candidate.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 19, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

totally unrelated to any of the above posts, but my niece was watching some crap disney channel sitcom and this kid had an old school d.c. united poster on his wall. all i could see was that eddie pope and goose were on it.

Posted by: eugene | June 20, 2007 12:58 AM | Report abuse

RE: Steve's schedule

OK. Let's all now appreciate the Washington Post for coverage of United and the Gold Cup this weekend. And kudos to Steve for flying 3500 miles to to cover three matches in four days.

Unfortunately that means the blog will be stagnant while he's in transit. Hopefully La Canfora will drop by to stir up the pot.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 20, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

3 cheers for JLaC, tho he's probably gunna be busy dealing with "LaVar's an idiot" comments for the next few days.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 20, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse