Weekend Free for All

With United off this weekend and the national team quiet until Monday, here is your chance over the next 48 hours to discuss anything on your mind.

How will Moreno and Bolivia do in their second Copa match? Can Mexico keep rolling?

Freddy and the under-20s in their opener at the World Cup in Canada today?

Quaranta going to New York for a conditional fourth-round pick (wow)?

MLS matches today and Sunday?

United's on-going defensive saga?

Go to it! See ya in a few days.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 30, 2007; 7:13 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Trade Details.....
Next: Goals, Goals, Goals

Comments

Conditional 4th round... Wow... That's grim. Not quite as bad getting traded for a bag of Nathan's hot dogs, but not too far away either... Maybe Da Brucer can find unlock something in the kid.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 30, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Poop on the face!!

Posted by: Poopface | June 30, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this will be enough to convince 'Tino to get himself fit and committed? Because if this is not his very last chance in the MLS, it has to be quite close.

Posted by: tmc | June 30, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

On the bright side, we're ahead of Colombia on goal differential.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 30, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Who will have the biggest impact/ be the most impressive player on the US U-20 ? Altidore? Adu? Bradley?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 30, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Goffer. I have found the Korea 2002 interview (of you) on the bus. It is only a matter of finding the time to figure out how to post it.

Posted by: MR Caretaker | June 30, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Sad to see Erpen go, but I understand the club wants to make a strong run at the MLS Cup this year since it'll be the last time RFK hosts it. If the team can get a stronger defensive unit, we could make a very strong run with the offense starting to figure things out.

Posted by: Murr | June 30, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

About bolivia:

Today is going to be a hard game, because you know uruguay is going to come out fighting. Their not going to want to lose to bolivia, and hopefully recoba is still hurt. But on the flip side, also bolivia will be more comfortable as they broke the ice, playing their first game which DIDNT result in a loss... which lately in my book is always a good thing given bolivia's bad play as of late(minus the last couple months in the Platini era)

Posted by: Bolivian DC Fan | June 30, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Poor Santino. At the old age of 22, he's overpaid and lacks potential. From the LA Galaxy website:

"This move was made to address salary cap and roster spot issues," Galaxy President and General Manager Alexi Lalas said. "We wish Santino all the best in New York and thank him for his service to the Galaxy."

The RBNY website makes no mention at all of this trade.

Posted by: wsinger | June 30, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff, in my internet searching (I speak Portuguese) it seemed that it wasn't CAM's reserve team but their youth (U-20) team that he plays for.

Posted by: Vagner | June 30, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be sweet if during Copa America, Bolivia ends up facing the US?! Olsen and Boswell against Moreno in Venezuela!!

That would but the US at an advantage in such a game because Benny and Bobby surely know all Jaime's moves by now.

Of course, we've got to beat Paraguay and Colombia, first.

Posted by: David | June 30, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Re- the U20s. Boy, I wish I had ESPN U instead of the Golf channel. I reckon I'll settle in for some Copa America games and check the matchtracker for the U20s. I suppose there might be some chat room somewhere that will allow me to experience the game vicariously through other internet soccer nuts.

Posted by: nanbohlin | June 30, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think it is also available on ESPN360....I don't know anything about that site though. Good luck

Posted by: marksman | June 30, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't help but send this along....the headline is scary for us United fans.

Posted by: dc in tenn | June 30, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Some number of the U20 matches are shown on Univision / Telefutura.....channel surf a bit and you'll see at least some of the games.

Posted by: Galavision etc, | June 30, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

U20's getting outplayed bad here in the first half. They are lucky that Szetela converted their only chance for the 1-0 lead. You can't be serious that Tim Ward is our best option at left back?

Posted by: Keenan | June 30, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Goff,
Articles today in the Argentine press quoting Ivan Gazidis and sources close to Veron saying that MLS is making a huge move for Peron after Copa America. It appeared that Chivas would be the team. Do you know anything about this?

Posted by: Nick | June 30, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I meant Veron--not Peron. Sorry for the typo.

Posted by: Nick | June 30, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

The US can't seem to hold possession. Rongen needs to make an adjustment. Add a midfielder, maybe Dax McCarty.

Posted by: Andrew | June 30, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

new jersey overpaid.

Posted by: dtd | June 30, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Ugly first half from the U-20s. No possession in the midfield; defenders getting burned over the top and by through balls; Freddy playing lackadaisically. Lucky not to be down 1-3.

TO: dc in tenn
We learned long ago that Fred is not Fred.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 30, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Rongen is reading.

Take off Adu and add someone who is going to work for the ball and hold it. Perhaps Arguez

Posted by: Andrew | June 30, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Rumor: Casal is headed back to Europe. (not giving my source)

Also, I am watching the U-20 game -- US looks fine to me (missed the first half). Not great but not bad.

Posted by: unitedfan1 | June 30, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

"I meant Veron--not Peron. Sorry for the typo."

No problem, as long as we're not subjected to another Madonna movie.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 30, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

watched the us game on sopcast since i dont have espnu or access to espn360....i cant believe south korea didn't win...they outshot us by 15-5 in the final stat and dominated the whole game

Posted by: shaj | June 30, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Possession ended up 50/50. S Korea controlled long portions of the match, but certainly did not dominate the whole game. The US seemed to lack energy and commitment for long stretches. That said, there were several sequences in the 2nd half where the US was the better team.

It is hard to believe that Beltran and Zizzo are the best options on the right.

Posted by: Andrew | June 30, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Possession may have been 50/50, but S Korea dominated the second half I saw. They were so much more dangerous passing the ball short, long, everywhere. As a fan, I tend to focus on the good things the US does -- but we got dominated.

Posted by: RB | June 30, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

unitedfan1,

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. I think Casali is one of the next players to go anyway should we need a senior roster spot. He just hasn't done enough in his time on the field. Besides that, the addition of Vanney or a new LB/CB would allow Gros to move back up to the left anyway, which would further push Casali down the depth chart.

Posted by: Jason | June 30, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Korea dominated that game...we were freakin lucky to get that result...

Why no subs late? I just don't get Rongen.

Posted by: Bill | June 30, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

anyone watching the peru-venezuela game? what exactly was all the fuss about at the end?

Posted by: emanon | June 30, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I missed the US U-20 game, but caught the end of Argentina-Czech Rep. and noticed ESPNU did not have the clock and score in the top corner (felt like I was watching a game in 1990). Was that the case in the US game, too?

Also saw the highlights from Venezuela-Peru. I don't like criticizing refs, but not giving a penalty to Peru when the player was tripped on his way to a sure goal was inexcusable.

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | June 30, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing about Quaranta going to RBNY for a 4th rounder is that I have absolutely no idea who got the worse end of the deal.

Posted by: Todd H. | June 30, 2007 11:01 PM | Report abuse

US game today was terrible. I can't believe how pathetic the US was. Rongen as always was pathetic. What coach thinks playing 1 up top is a good idea? Altidore had no service at all. I have tickets for our next 2 games and was pysched to leave for Canada tomorrow, but my enthusiasm was seriously dampened today.

Posted by: Scott | June 30, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

So many things going through my mind after watching the US-Korea U-20 game:
• Defense (which includes midfield in this case), especially in the
first half was awful. It looked like Keystone Cops out there. US was
lucky they weren't down by more than a couple by halftime. Didn't
they practice? Have they done this before?
• Tim Ward does not belong on the field. He was eaten alive on the
goal and couldn't string a correct pass in the first half.
• Korea as a whole is in much better physical shape than the US.
Plus they out-hustled them throughout the match.
• Chris Seitz was brilliant. Without him it's a loss, period.
• The ref was awful. The cards against the US were barely fouls, let
alone cautions. Two fouls against Josemir Altidore just outside box
were ignored.
• What is a Concacaf ref doing in a game that involves a Concacaf team?
• Sal Zizzo had very good second half.
• Why is Tim Ward on the team? Are we that weak at left back? Can we
falsify Jonathan Bornstein's passport?
• Korea scouted the US pretty well. They didn't give Freddy Adu any
room at all. And when he did find some he didn't do much with it.
• I doubt Poland and Brazil will have Korea's team speed (which
drove the US nuts). The team should look better against them,
although Brazil's skill level might drive them nuts just the same.
• Why didn't Thomas Rongen put Gabriel Ferrari in the game in the second half. I thought he would start.
• Please bench Tim Ward.
Cheers!
Roberto.

Posted by: Roberto | July 1, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Daaaamn. Nice results for United tonight. The rest of the eastern conference continues to bleed points.....

Posted by: Goose | July 1, 2007 1:33 AM | Report abuse

"Peron" - don't cry for me Argentina...

From Canada - Rongen said, that he subbed Szetela to gain more possession in the midfield. Dax came on and played well.

USA U20 doesn't play 1 up top, instead they play a 4-3-3, but the outside fwds have some defensive resp - which wound up being much of their jobs.

Korea ran out of steam at the end. Talking with Shin (goal scorer), he said that they used so much energy catching up and then trying to win (and working hard-blah, blah, blah), that they ran out of gas at the end. He believes that they'll be ready for Brazil on Tuesday.

Ward was horrible.

Bradley was horrible - giving up too many unforced errors.

Dax was a good sub though he had his fair share of mistakes.

Best guy on pitch for USA - Seitz.

Sturgis had a horrible first half but seemed to stabilize in second half.

Neither Poland nor Brazil have Korea's team speed. Poland plays a very organized, tight defense that Brazil was not able to unlock even though they were a man up for 73 minutes!

Poland looses their starting Left back from Real Madrid, Krol (red card). He looked impressive and composed stopping Pato (well until he fouled him twice and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon sunning himself - inside the dome ??? ))

Posted by: JSF | July 1, 2007 6:25 AM | Report abuse

TO: dc in tenn
We learned long ago that Fred is not Fred.

Posted by: I-270,

I know.....just thought it was an interesting headline when I opened it.

Posted by: dc in tenn | July 1, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I know that the US plays 3 up top... but Rogers and Zizzo were never there. They had to defend the entire game. It was 1 up top, Altidore had no support whatsoever. The US played poor but the tactics were all wrong to begin with.

Posted by: Scott | July 1, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

US Gnats- All I can say is that it was a typical Rongen designed defensive effort out there. That combined with the usual frenetic SoKo pace made it seem like the US was worse than it actually is. For future games the defense will continue to be a liability but the midlfeid will get a chance to settle on the ball and create.

That said Dax's performance was remarkably good in such a chaotic environment.

Posted by: ursula | July 1, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

the real question of the weekend is whether dc united will ever be the same after the immature spat between the BB and SE at Thursday's game. sometimes it seems people are too full of themselves, forget it's a game and they're there to cheer the team. ...now that's news! ;)

Posted by: CASUAL | July 1, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

What happened between BB and SEagles??

Posted by: Anonymous | July 1, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember what we got from LA for Quaranta?

Posted by: Dave | July 1, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Dave,

An allocation and a second round draft pick. It woul have been a first round pick if Quaranta had performed better.

Here's the original story:

Posted by: Jason | July 1, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Thanks. It looks like we did quite well with the deal, unless Santinio turns it around for Arena. Either way, LA took a bath.

Posted by: Dave | July 2, 2007 7:43 AM | Report abuse

axkng odvijgsty jzwnxgto vqxmdch kxyrqlgde xyjrub snrmpqiy

Posted by: kdfjim tvargxw | July 8, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

xohunivz npaswid jlaroyvk zithlovax wrxosqdb vdyeow fayjoxhqm http://www.gyvdjtukf.fznbqavc.com

Posted by: omqpfaz paze | July 8, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse