When Stuck at LAX.....

.....what better way to pass the time than with three Euro video clips? The Demark-Sweden match, tied 3-3, came to a stunning end when a fan attacked the referee. Read the story and watch the film.

In case you missed the goal that Beckham set up Friday vs. Brazil.....

And check out the setting for Italy's 2-1 win at the Faeroe Islands! Not exactly Olympic Stadium in Berlin last year. Soccer editor Jon DeNunzio found this gem of a quote -- AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti on Pippo Inzaghi: "It is often said that Inzaghi is in love with the goal, but the truth is that the goal is in love with him." And if you don't know much about the Faeroe Islands, you must read this story from the NY Times a few months ago. I...must...go...there.

By Steve Goff  |  June 3, 2007; 12:21 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Aftermath
Next: MVP and Other Stuff

Comments

So much for your early flight, Steve. Good luck getting home and thanks for all the great posts.

Posted by: SLB | June 3, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Saw the Italy highlights on FSC, and immediately thought about the venue. Only a partial notch above having Italy play at the SoccerPlex in Germantown.

Posted by: Kim | June 3, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

As a matter of fact, that venue could have been Spartan Stadium... if the field was smaller.

Boy I wish Beckham were coming to DCU instead o LA. We're starving for quality service.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 3, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

...but not starving for a media circus.

I wouldn't want road fans referring to a DC United visit as "The Beckham Game" the same as I don't like casual fans asking if I can get them tickets to "The Beckham Game" for when the Galaxy comes here.

Posted by: I-66 | June 3, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Becks doesn't have any "national commitments" in August, right? After that free kick against Brazil, I can just see McLaren drafting him to play everywhere just to keep his job safe.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 3, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to the Faroes article. I'm going to Reykjavik this October for the Air Waves Festival. Unfortunately I'll be a couple weeks too late to catch a football match.

Posted by: Fuego Fanatic | June 4, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Faroes article. I visited there about 5 years ago - took a ferry from Scotland to Iceland by way of the Shetlands and Faroes, and the Faroese were singing and drinking the whole 20+ hour trip. Crazy guys, but extremely friendly.

On a football-related note, I'm surprised Italy didn't win by a few more goals...the Faroes aren't usually ones to put up anything like stiff resistance. They're in the same 'whipping boy' category as Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino, Malta, and (usually) Iceland. And, if anyone has interest in a Faroe Islands national team jersey, let me know - I wore it once and soon after began 'Americanizing' my lower torso. Looks good in the closet, though, and it's possibly the only existing specimen outside of the North Sea...

Posted by: Big C | June 5, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse