Yesterday's Friendlies

Messi and Argentina, prepping for Copa, survive a scare from Algeria (Algeria??), 4-3, at the mini stadium in Barcelona, while Mexico, days from its Gold Cup opener, falls late at Azteca to Paraguay, 1-0.

All the Argentina goals (gotta love the fake Maradona at the start of the clip):

The Paraguay shocker:

And a bloody collision:

By Steve Goff  |  June 6, 2007; 9:15 AM ET
Categories:  World
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 10,000 and Counting
Next: United News and Notes

Comments

I can see Bradley watching the Paraguay shocker now...saying "Woot!" :P

Posted by: P | June 6, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I can see Bradley watching the Paraguay shocker now...saying "Woot!" :P

Posted by: P | June 6, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Wow... when was the last time Mexico lost at Azteca?

Posted by: Ron | June 6, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I dont know that Bradley was that excited about the Paraguay win...since we'll probably need to beat them to advance out of our Copa America group.

Posted by: CS | June 6, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Love the Mini Estadi...that's what Poplar Point should be. Oh wait, zzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: DE | June 6, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I think the last team to beat Mexico at Azteca was Costa Rica in WC 2002 qualifying. I think that's the only time Mexico had ever lost in World Cup qualifying at Azteca.

Posted by: Eric | June 6, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Mexico losing makes Hoost a very, very, very, very, very, very, very happy man. : )

Posted by: Hoost | June 6, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow -- Argentina really having trouble defending set pieces...

Posted by: RB | June 6, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah RB. Hopefully we can exploit that set piece weakness with our big guys.

We are taking big guys to the Copa, aren't we? Bob?

Steve: Nice article on Bradley. Interesting that someone thinks Klinsmann would have been a bad choice.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

That clip has all the Argentine goals (two off of PKs, the second of which looked somewhat dodgy) AND all the Algerian goals.

Hopefully this signals a return to quality in the Algerian national team after the lost decade of the civil war. It'd be nice to see them return to the success of the mid-'80s.

Remember the '82 World Cup, when they upset West Germany but were robbed of advancement in a travesty of sportsmanship that forced FIFA to change the group stage rules? (For those that don't, read the third paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Cup_1982#First_round)

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 6, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

C. Blanco is a disgrace, i want the mls to succeed and i love dc united but why does mls want him, he needs to be kicked off mexico for his antics against paraguay....does mls need his anger, a waste of money, find someone else to fill the seats.

8th loss in history at El Estadio Azteca,
7 friendlies, 1 WC Qualifier

Quality of competition says a lot, USA needs to play better teams, China tells us nothing.

Posted by: Andy G. | June 6, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I think that C. Blanco will bring to mls but attitudes, he is an unruly, mischievous guy mls is wasting the nomey with such people.

Posted by: gil | June 6, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for the Chicago fans who watched that game...so far from watching Beckham take on Brazil.

After Mexico deports him and takes his passport (today?) maybe he can apply for US citizenship and try out for the US team.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 6, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know what the TV situation is with the Euro '08 qualifiers today?

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | June 6, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

FSC has two -- Belgium v Finland (live) and Spain v Liechenstein. Yuck.

Posted by: RK | June 6, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Anything new with Kasey Keller signing with RSL? Anything new with Makelele? Stadium? Mystery defender? Expansion? Gold Cup? Copa Anerica? I am very bored at work today, and need some soccer info. tossed my way. Thanks

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 6, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

RE: Blanco.

What are you guys complaining about? Chicago will be playing a man down against DC and everyone else. We may still not score, but we'll have more space to make that final pass or whatever.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | June 6, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

DC fan, do what I do -- go to uefa.com and follow today's games. All of which doesn't do me much good, since I don't know 90% of these players. But now I've heard of Zlatan Muslimovic!

Posted by: RK | June 6, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip

Posted by: DC United Fan | June 6, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

The ref for Mex-Paraguay was Larrionda the red card happy ref from USA-Italy at the last World Cup.

It seemed he let quite a lot go last night. There were at least a dozen fouls worse than anything Eddie Pope did last summer. That bad clash of heads was from 2 Paraguayans who play in Mexico (Dario Vero at Pumas and Paulo da Silva at Toluca). So I think a lot of the Mex team was genuinely concerned for guys they know from their Liga.

Blanco had a nice freekick that I initially thought had scored (it was over the crossbar) from their camera angle high behind the goal.

Posted by: garbaggio | June 6, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the Catalan play-by-play...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 6, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse