All-Star Roster Finalized

Revs Coach Steve Nicol has added Kevin Hartman, Pablo Mastroeni, Landon Donovan, Ronnie O'Brien and Brian Ching to the all-star team that will face Glasgow Celtic July 19 in Denver, while The Commish named the retiring Eddie Pope and Cobi Jones as special selections to the squad. The First XI was determined by fan, media, coach/GM and player voting and was announced last week.

Luciano Emilio? Maykel Galindo? Taylor Twellman? Pat Onstad? Nope.

Of note: The collective bargaining agreement requires the league to designate 32 players as all-stars. So 14 guys not on this list will receive all-star bonuses and honors. I will try to find out that alternate list. (Some of them are probably glad they were not chosen for the actual game since it's only an exhibition, disruptive to regular club preparations and requires significant travel for many players.)

The full roster.....

Goalkeeper: Matt Reis (Revolution), Kevin Hartman (Wizards).

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Jimmy Conrad (Wizards), Michael Parkhurst (Revolution), Eddie Pope (Real Salt Lake).

Midfielders: Ricardo Clark (Dynamo), Dwayne De Rosario (Dynamo), Christian Gomez (United), Cobi Jones (Galaxy), Shalrie Joseph (Revolution), Pablo Mastroeni (Rapids), Ronnie O'Brien (Toronto FC), Juan Toja (FC Dallas)

Forwards: Juan Pablo Angel (Red Bulls), Brian Ching (Dynamo), Landon Donovan (Galaxy), Eddie Johnson (Wizards).

By Steve Goff  |  July 10, 2007; 2:33 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Injury Update
Next: New Salary Numbers

Comments

Wow, so no Beckham as a commish pick. I forget, are there televised skills competitions? I wonder if they'll prevail upon Becks to participate in those.

Posted by: Kevin | July 10, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

No Emilio or Galindo?

This roster is such a joke.

Posted by: Dave | July 10, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I am also guessing we will run a 3-5-2?

Posted by: Dave | July 10, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

There were never any plans for Beckham to play in this game. His debut is two days later vs. Chelsea. He will, however, be on site in Denver for promotional purposes.

Posted by: Goff | July 10, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Tough to leave Twellman and Emilio off the team. Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Olsen than Mastroeni at this point.

Posted by: jj | July 10, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Based on MLS play, Ching, Mastroeni, and possibly O'Brien shouldn't be on the roster. Emilio or Galindo should take Ching's spot, while O'Brien and Mastroeni could both be replaced by several different players (including our own Ben Olsen, who aside from last week's game has been our most consistently good player).

On the plus side, we will only lose one player to this high-altitude, summer heat exhibition. I'm sure Emilio, Olsen, and the rest will appreciate the break.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 10, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

At the end of the day, does anyone really care?

Getting United players extra rest instead of jetting off for a glorified exhibition seems to me to be a bit more important. It's no coincidence in my mind that last seasons slide happened when 8 of our players went from Salt Lake City to Chicago to Seattle, Washington inside of a week and only one of those games had any real relevance and we happened to lose that game and on we went on our downward spiral.

Rest up boys, we'll need all of you for the stretch run.

Posted by: A Rickey | July 10, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Many more deserving forwards than Ching -- Emilio, Galindo, Dichio, Twellman. Onstad and his .70 GAA should've been on it, over Hartman (12th in GAA). Schelotto has been a real spark for the Crew.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I think, in an all-star game, you run a 2-4-6 ;)

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Schelotto! Yes! I should've mentioned him at the top. Good catch, RK...

Posted by: Goff | July 10, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Normally I would be somewhat irked by being slighted by that wanker Nichol - but not this time. Stupid match in a season with a jam packed schedule - the players need all the rest they can get. As much as it pains me to say it, as Cobi is my #1 most hated MLS player of all-time, I completely agree with the commissioners selections for once.

Posted by: Henchlow | July 10, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine being a baseball player -- games every single day for 8 months, and the one change you get at a 3-day break, you have to play in an All-Star game. They won't see a beach until they are retired.

Posted by: RK | July 10, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

So it'll be the injury-free MLS based USMNT players with a few creative midfielders and a finisher added...

Posted by: MK | July 10, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

nicol CHOSE to leave twellman off the list, after gold cup and copa america duty, he could and probably would have liked to chose twellman but he wants to rest him so he'll be fresh for the next REVs game DUH.

wish i could say that was the same reason for exluding emilio but he didn't get hott until the last two weeks.

Posted by: Mark VA | July 10, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mark VA | July 10, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Kinda stinks for the Revs, Wiz, and Dynamo as they all have three players on that roster...all the better for DCU, I suppose. Guess the league figured Columbus and Chicago didn't have any worthy players...I agree about Chicago, but certainly Schelotto should have gotten a nod.

Posted by: DE | July 10, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

If a player pulls out due to injury, does he still get the bonus?

Posted by: Sean | July 10, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Pope and Cobi on the list, although if I were an RSL fan, I'd say Pope is a year too late.

Posted by: h4 | July 10, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow, don't let MLB and NBA players found out about this ability to be an All Star, collect bonuses and not play any game.

Posted by: Drew-Rochester | July 10, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

The All-Star Game should be removed altogether. It is retarded. At the end of the season come up with your All-Pro team, and handout bonuses accordingly. That's it.

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 10, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Glad none of the others got put on there... hopefully Gomez will just play the first 30-45 min.

Posted by: RIP General | July 10, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Drew-Rochester: you act like there aren't groups of NFL, NBA and MLB players who sit out of all-star games every. single. year.

Posted by: kebzach | July 10, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess Nicol felt he could pay Twellman an all-star bonus without sending him to the game. Sounds like a good deal to me.

All-star games in all sports have fast become irrelevent. The MLB all-star game has become a joke, though I recommend the Home Run Derby if you are having trouble falling asleep. The Pro Bowl is a joke, and the NBA All-Star game and slam dunk contests have all lost significant popularity recently.

My one improvement for the MLS all-star game would be that each team have at least one representative. It's archaic, and probably downright socialist, but it adds to the feeling that its a league event, and gives bad teams one thing to feel good about. (Though I would argue that the fact that they don't have to worry about relegation is something to feel good about.)

Posted by: New England Guy | July 10, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for Scheletto that he's stuck in Columbus because he's a class player.. If he played with a higher profile team maybe he'd be in this lineup.

I guess old man Cobi will have to do.

Posted by: Chris | July 10, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but I thought last year's AllStar was a helluva lot of fun to watch and all our guys seemed amped to play.

Now this year will be a little different because an inseason MLS allstar team should be able to handle a preseason Celtic squad, but I still think it could be a fun match.

Sure it would be nice if the match was after the season, or something, and East - West games generally are a joke, but these types of matches are fun.

Plus its another chance for a nationally marketed game and may expose some Eurosnobs to the talent in the league.

Goff, huge point about 32 man bonuses. Thats the kinda stuff even a serious fan cant find out on his own, but finds fascinating. Would be a travesty if guys like Galindo, Grabavoy, Dorman, or Mendes didn't their get bonuses because the commish wanted to include the old timers and Nicol wanted guys he thinks are good, but have had mediocre seasons so far in the league.

Also, do you know who names it? Thats a lot of power to give the coach. 5 picks for Nicol is one thing, 19 would be a little different.

Posted by: srfinger | July 10, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Any news about the USM-U21 game Wed night, specifically, will it be on "regular" ESPN stations? thanks!

Posted by: Frederick, MD | July 10, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I would be happier if Gomez was not tapped for this "honor". I agree that it was the huge DC United flavor of the last All-Star game that took a lot of our momentum from us last year. IMO many teams took advantage of the all star break to practice tactics meant to beat our team. Hopefully this time, we can take advantage of the break, instead of other teams taking advantage of us.

Posted by: savannahfan | July 10, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I wish Galindo had made it--a good performance could at least get him a Celtic offer, as happened with Sharlie.

The younger players (Bornstein, Toja, Clark, EJ) should be motivated by this game for career purposes.

Posted by: Shmenge | July 11, 2007 8:01 AM | Report abuse