House of Blues

Chicago is rolling, huh? Good thing they dumped Sarachan. Since his departure, the Fire is 0-2-2 with one goal scored -- and that was a penalty kick. Things have to get better once Osorio settles in and Blanco arrives, right? Right?

Any guess as to when Houston might yield a goal again? Next week? Next month? Next year? (The Dynamo shutout streak has reached 605 minutes.)

Check out Ngwenya's phenomenal goal and the other highlights.

By Steve Goff  |  July 12, 2007; 11:05 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Injury Status
Next: The Day at RFK

Comments

Ngwenya's goal ought to be goal of the year. Between the dribbling and the the no-angle shot that was a thing of remarkable beauty.

Posted by: Glenn | July 12, 2007 11:30 PM | Report abuse

That last goal was just depressing on so many levels.

Posted by: colm | July 12, 2007 11:56 PM | Report abuse

those houston players sure do like primetime -- 4-0 wins in each of their last three thursday night games. wow!

Posted by: Kurt | July 13, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Two minutes into sitting down and watching some of Chicago's game and all of a sudden they are showing the making of a commercial (What is this?) I hear in the background, "Great shot by Clark to hit the crossbar." Good God, I'm happy that Beckham is in the league but this is going to get just straight STUPID!

Posted by: Mr.Bill | July 13, 2007 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Serves 'em right for '98.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | July 13, 2007 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I was in Houston for the United game last week. Assuming our ship continues to right itself, and I believe it will, there's little question in my mind they'll be one of the major hurdles we have to straddle to achieve a championship this year.

I haven't the faintest idea when they'll be scored on again but IMO Houston is the strongest team in the league right now and they will continue to perform at high level. Make no mistake, it's going to take a very good team to take them down in the playoffs.

Sounds like a job for DC United! ;-)

Posted by: Kire | July 13, 2007 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Goldenballs and Posh are here!! What celebrity will be with them? Who? Who? the world wants to know!!!

Posted by: d | July 13, 2007 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this trend. The more AEG gets involved in one of their teams, the worse the team's play is on the field.

Posted by: J. | July 13, 2007 3:53 AM | Report abuse

They are winning games without DeRo scoring and Ching on the bench!

Who in the MLS is going to beat these guys? The only hope is that they slip up in the playoffs, but after last year I don't think we have a good chance of seeing that happen.

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 13, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I appreciate espn showing a weekly mls game (a little like our monday night football) but the amount of the cut aways from the action was truly astounding. Most of it was beckham related but there was other stupidity. Going to a half screen to explain that craig waibel likes buying pop-corn? Who is the "target audience" espn is trying to attract-serious potheads? How about some explanation of different formations, strategies off of dead ball situations, etc to demystify the game for someone who likes sports but doesn't follow soccer? Freaking idiots. I do really like the announcers, though

Posted by: just another idiot | July 13, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

For the first 10 minutes or so of the game, I thought Chicago looked as though they might be able to make it a game.

Then the 11th minute came and their momentum went south (to Houston).

Houston definitely is hot right now. We'll see how they make it through this stretch of games they've got. They did crash out of the Open Cup to Charleston, so that suggest their depth may come into question if they get into injury problems.

Where the hell did Ngwenya come from? He's making a name for himself. I'm very impressed.

And Texas Hold'en looks like someone Bob Bradley should keep his eye on. That kid has talent and doesn't back down.

Posted by: TCompton | July 13, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Nguenya's goal was truly remarkable but not fun to watch because of the Chicago player seriously injuring himself running into the goalpost

Posted by: soccer nerd | July 13, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Notice how in the halftime highlights, the goal got little play, but the head-on-head collision that knocked Cochrane out was played over and over again.

Just as it was played over and over--slo mo, with sound, full speed--right after it happened.

I found it a bit sick. The guy could be suffering from this for months, it could end his season, there was no foul to analyze on the play, yet it was treated like "hey, forget goals--here's some REAL action."

Posted by: Shmenge | July 13, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Good point.

Posted by: Goff | July 13, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm in support of anything that drives the ratings. Unfortunately, I don't mean that ironically.

Posted by: Arrrlington | July 13, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

"Goldenballs and Posh are here!!"

I missed the coverage. Will it be rebroadcast on ESPN of FSC?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 13, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Houston is just a machine right now. They remind me so much of how DC United was during the first part of the last season. In fact, they look even better. They just radiate confidence and they play hard each minute of the game. As much as I like DC United, I won't be pissed if Houston won it all.

Posted by: Bart | July 13, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

i think the apex of idiocy for the espn coverage was during the DCU/Crapids game when they did this in game feature on the keeper coundoul (spell?) and revealed that he was so religious that he prayed 5 times a day and had a wrist watch that pointed towards mecca? Oh my god!! As though this didn't describe the spiiritual practices of a several hundred million people. I would love to see a feature on one of the latin players thatdescribe them as "So religious" that they climb into a small box with one of their holy men and describe all the bad things they have done that week and figure out what they need to do to get forgiveness from their god.

Posted by: just another idiot | July 13, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The second goal was such poor defense from Chicago that I really can't wait till DC gets to play them again. Emilio should have a field day. Maybe they just wanted Jaqua to feel at home on his return.

Posted by: DCUinCT | July 13, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I DC United meets Houston in the championship, there is no way in the world DC loses that game at RFK. I really hope the DC front office makes one more major acquisition to bolster the team before the transfer window closes.

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 13, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Ngwenya: not only goal of the year, but the best goal in MLS history. Even better than the Willie Mays-like Wolyniec extra-time full volley from the sixty-yard Guevara pass. It was pure Pele.

But I'm sure that one of those bicycle kicks that are attempted every week will actually go in, and the moron fans will vote that goal of the year. (Let's hope a Toronto player doesn't score on an overhead kick). Once MLS fans learn to recognize that a professional soccer player making a bicycle kick is just not that big a deal, MLS will have truly grown up.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 13, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I heard Chicago are going to be sold in 60-90 days. Isn't that John Guppy's "go-to" phrase he uses when he wants to deflect attraction from the horrible play on the pitch. Notice how the NY/NJ franchise always had a stadium announcement in 60-90 days? Notice how they didn't stop sucking on the pitch until Guppy was gone...

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | July 13, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Also wanted to pass along some info. On Comcast's website they are listing the US v. Austria U-20 game on Telefutra at 2:00. So now everyone with Comcast can watch the game, except it will be in Spanish. Better then nothing, right!!!

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 13, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Serves 'em right for '98.

Posted by: Dave Lifton | July 13, 2007 12:58 AM

Well, for once I agree wholeheartedly with Dave Lifton!! ;-)

Posted by: Soy United! | July 13, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Great goal by Ngwenya. Should get goal of the week nod...maybe its the goal of the year. He posterized a slow, tired Curtin with a cheeky Sat afternoon park pickup game move and then shot from a very tough angle...but a pro should score from that angle with no keeper in front of goal 90% of the time.

Posted by: the cheat | July 13, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

They are winning games without DeRo scoring and Ching on the bench!

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 13, 2007 08:27 AM

Yeah, like it's never happened before (rolleyes). Let's see, great teams that bombed....almost every LA Galaxy team that looked unbeatable in the regular season (check). These very same Dynamos when they were Earthquakes (check). And then there was Ray Hudson's Miami Sound Machine, the biggest bomb of them all. Let Houston be the champs of the summer, just like the Donkeys were the champs of the Spring. I for one, am not ready to fluff the Dynamo.

Posted by: Oh My! What will we do? | July 13, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shmenge | July 13, 2007 08:41 AM

ESPN wants to sell the game as a man's sport, not some sissy ballerina thing full of divers and fakers. They have similar ads for the Champions League.

Posted by: Macho | July 13, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

GOLDENBALLS ARRIVES:
Beckham SAVES U.S. SOCCER and MLS!

Marketers complete take over of the world's game:

Posted by: delantero | July 13, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

In fairness to the coverage crew, right AFTER the head on collision, with two men down, they don't have much to talk about. It's a dead-ball situation, and they don't want to leave dead air.

So talking about the collision was pretty much the only real go-to they had.

Still doesn't excuse the halftime reel, though.

Posted by: Sean | July 13, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Macho has a good point. Why do so many people watch NASCAR? You're gonna tell me that watching cars go round-and-round-and-round is exciting? Most watch in hope of seeing a pile-up. It's sad and quite low-brow, but nevertheless true.

Posted by: Soy United! | July 13, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

thanks for pointing out that the U20 game tomorrow is on Telefutura and not Galavision! I was wondering why I was setting my DVR to record lucha libre.

Posted by: pat | July 13, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"I heard Chicago are going to be sold in 60-90 days. Isn't that John Guppy's "go-to" phrase he uses when he wants to deflect attraction from the horrible play on the pitch. Notice how the NY/NJ franchise always had a stadium announcement in 60-90 days? "

Charlie Stillitano pioneered that phrase. Guppy has to pay him a dime every time he says it.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 13, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I thought 'house of blues' was going to be about Chelsea.

Posted by: bribri | July 13, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Did we ever get a handle on the yellow-card situation for the U20s? FIFA.com still doesn't have the preview for tomorrow's match. Anybody?

Posted by: Soy United! | July 13, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Yellow cards do not carry over from the group stage to the knockout stage.

Posted by: Wade | July 13, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Wade!

Posted by: Soy United! | July 13, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

[NASCAR} Most watch in hope of seeing a pile-up. It's sad and quite low-brow, but nevertheless true.

Posted by: Soy United! | July 13, 2007 11:12 AM
-------------------

You might be on to something. The Jim Rome/Marc Fisher types talk about hooliganism and fan trampling when they deign to mention soccer. Maybe ESPN can promote that aspect and some of the other European powder kegs. Is it Marching Season in Boston yet?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 13, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

the best thing about the ngwenya goal is watching a Curtin brother get punked, and then watch the same Curtin causally jog towards the net to get a b etter view of the goal he just helped let in.

Posted by: DCAustinite | July 13, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and the ref was and is terrible (that is not an excuse). I think we can thank Guppy for our lack of finishing. I mean it was a great idea to let Jaqua and Herron go and rely on 2 injury prone forwards and 95 pound Carr. Not to mention our defense is terrible --if it was not for Pickens, we would be giving up a lot more goals. What happened to Big Cat? Oh yeah, the MLS Curse of Guppy.

Posted by: jkr | July 13, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse