Matchday: USA-Brazil U-20s

Greetings from Ottawa, where the weather is noticeably cooler than much of the States this week. Very nice.....

Sellout crowd this evening for the doubleheader at Frank Clair Stadium: Argentina-North Korea at 5 p.m., USA-Brazil at 7:45. In a surprise, ESPN has decided to show the U.S. match live instead of relegating it to ESPNU only.

The American lads are in fine shape sitting atop the group with four points, one ahead of Brazil and Poland, and are almost assured of a berth in the round of 16. A victory or tie will get them through, while a respectable loss should clinch one of the third-place slots in the next stage.

Freddy was poor in the first match vs. South Korea and exemplary in the middle game vs. Poland. How will he fare tonight against one of the tournament giants?

The Americans definitely do not want to finish second because that would likely mean a meeting with Argentina Thursday in Toronto. A third-place finish would get them a trip to Edmonton or Vancouver/Burnaby to face a first-place finisher. By taking first in its own group, however, the U.S. team would take on a third-place side (perhaps Costa Rica or Scotland?) Wednesday in Toronto.

Pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts are welcome here!

By Steve Goff  |  July 6, 2007; 11:04 AM ET
Categories:  U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What We Learned.....
Next: USA-BRZ Aftermath

Comments

Props to ESPN for bringing this game onto the big network. After crouching in front of my laptop for the Copa America trouncings, it will be nice to watch some good football on a real TV.

Posted by: Jonathan | July 6, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

[Obligatory sarcasm]

ESPN hates soccer.

[/Obligatory sarcasm]

Posted by: RK | July 6, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how we react after the game against Poland. I would imagine the US wont get nearly as much space to play and that Brazil will close the middle down and try to keep the ball away from Adu. If he can show something in this game, then he will have (finally) arrived.

Having said that, we attacked really well down the wings against the Poles. Hopefully we can continue to do that.

I think Bradley's going to have a good game. I don't think Brazil will pay him enough attention. Maybe if he can get a shot on net we'll pull a W out of this one.

Posted by: Hacksaw | July 6, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Goff,

Just a note of thanks for this blog and your efforts. You must be one of the hardest working people in sports media!

Posted by: teamn | July 6, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@Jonathan

Posted by: DCBird | July 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about Jonathan but on my cable network I am relegated to Univision only.

Posted by: Dave | July 6, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Just a (cynical) guess, but I don't believe ESPN would have picked up the match had Freddy not had a great game last time...

Posted by: MattM | July 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Just a (cynical) guess, but I don't believe ESPN would have picked up the match had Freddy not had a great game vs. Poland...

Posted by: MattM | July 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Should we expect the same commentator and production ESPNU has used? I know I'm asking for a lot, but I'd like a clock on the screen(I won't be greedy and ask for the score too).

Posted by: sitruc | July 6, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

What was scheduled to be on at that time anyway? Did we replace baseball or poker re-runs? I guess I just want to know who (if anyone)will be angry because we bumped them?

Posted by: bluemeanies | July 6, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Soy Manya! | July 6, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

i think the match is replacing log rolling prelims, or it is taking the place of "A look back at the 1986 Arizona Cardinals"...a true classic! HA

Posted by: zbass | July 6, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Do we know if it's on ESPN or ESPN 2, right now comcast has hotdog eating and nascar on those 2 channels at 7:30/8:00 pm?

Thanks Goff, great info as always! You were even given a shoutout by Wahl in a SI article today.

Posted by: Sam | July 6, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

ESPN at 7:30
kickoff is 7:45

Posted by: Goff | July 6, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update. I think you are being harsh on Fredinho in the first match. I don't agree that he was poor. I'll agree that the attack was poor and that he had a hand in that, but that he also played some nice balls through that teammates squandered. All in all, just middle of the road. IMHO

Posted by: JkR | July 6, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Looked it up we are replacing:

The half hour NFL Live show, the one hour re-run of the hot-dog eating contest, a half hour show called bronx is burning and the first half-hour of the hour and a half Baseball Tonight.

Posted by: bluemeanies | July 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Who's doing the commentary for ESPN(U)? Is it the British chap? If so, mainstream viewers will be confused by the economy of words: "Turn up the volume. More. More. I still can't hear. Let's watch poker."

Hot dog eating was so over by July 4th. The turkey eating qualifiers are starting.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure it's Derek Rae and Tommy Smyth who are announcing the game (Same chaps who did the Champions League). Read that somewhere today.

--strago

Posted by: strago | July 6, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

--strago

Posted by: strago | July 6, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

colorado called, they want their shield back. while the new LA jersey is OK - and I think an improvement over what they have now - the shield really could have been a bit different. thanks for posting the jpg

Posted by: SF59 | July 6, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I hate all Adidas uniforms

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 6, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Any ideas on the lineup Goff?

I'd really like to get a look at Gabe Ferrari, a kid who was signed out of the Metrostars/RBNY youth program by Sampdoria in Italy. He's only really fetured in youth matches over there (primavera team) but I believe he got a run out in a league cup match. I don't think he's played yet, and I'd think the 3rd game in a short span could prompt some changes out of Rongen.

Posted by: tmc | July 6, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

lineup prediction.

Seitz
Beltran, Sturgis, Valetin, Wallace
Bradley, Szetela
Adu
Zizzo, Altidore, Rogers

If Valentine is still hurt, then Sarkodie in the back.

Maybe Zimmerman on the wing, though zizzo and Rogers are playing well.

Posted by: the cheat | July 6, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"the one hour re-run of the hot-dog eating contest" (ESPN had the guts to replace).

Priceless!

Posted by: tlk | July 6, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm really excited the game is getting "mainstream" coverage on ESPN. Now if I can just convince my wife to hold off on dinner plans until the game is over...

Posted by: Joey | July 6, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Joey,

I don't mean to sound like a spokesman, but
that is why GOD created DVR. It is well worth the 5 bones a month or whatever it costs.

The magic of DVR allows me to watch all of the champions league games and is worth its weight in Gold for that alone.

I will be DVRing the game tonight so I can be a social person this friday evening, but still watch the game when I am worthless tomorrow morning.

Posted by: Bribri | July 6, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joey | July 6, 2007 02:37 PM

One acronym... DVR.

Posted by: Soy Manya! | July 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"Now if I can just convince my wife to hold off on dinner plans until the game is over..." --Joey

"Honey, why don't you call your friends and have a girls' night out? Don't worry about me, I'll get some take-out on the way home."

Another marital spat averted by Soccer Insider's Counseling Services.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Damn! I had "Watch hot dog eating contest." written on my outlook calendar for weeks!

Posted by: mmm.. hot dogs. | July 6, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Arguez might get a look in tonight's game? It'd be nice to see him out there since he apparently isn't going to get a shot from United anytime soon.

Posted by: jaime | July 6, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I wonder the chance of it being in high definition?

Posted by: Doug | July 6, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

But how can you have a social night out in DC without everyone talking about the U20 qualifiers? Once you hear the eruptions from the pub across the street, you'll know every time a goal is scored!

(Sidebar: once had class in London during England/Switzerland Euro match - was able to keep up with the score this way. Of course, I was a coward to have not skipped class, but that's a story for another time).

Posted by: Kyle | July 6, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

NOT MY NATHAN'S ALL AMERICAN HOT DOG EATING CLASSIC RERUN!!!! Is there any way we can push the game back an hour so we can still watch?

Posted by: J-Mart | July 6, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

American Joey Chestnut won the hot dog eating contest.

I know, I know. I should have typed "SPOILER." I f**ked it up for everyone who DVR'd it

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

------------
------------

the real competitive eating fans tuned in for ESPN's live coverage of that event on July 4.

Glad to see ESPN bumping some "repeat" content for what looks to be a great live match-up.

Hope this continues into the knock-out rounds.

Posted by: Joey | July 6, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Here is the dramatic finish to the Hot Dog eating. Rest easy.

Posted by: Chris K | July 6, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

ESPN hates competitive eating.

Posted by: So Md | July 6, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Is Pato gonna play? Cus if Pato plays, it's all over.

Posted by: Twoste | July 6, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"I wonder the chance of it being in high definition?"

About as likely as Freddy staying in MLS next year.

Posted by: silentbob | July 6, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

USA 2 - Brazil 2

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 6, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

espn shows COMPETITIVE EATING???!!! wtf?! i also heard they show poker. lol truly sad.

GO USA U-20's!!!

Posted by: dfunkt | July 6, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

This kind of thing will get me back into ESPN. I started tuning it out once they started showing all of these competitive eating/put-put golf crap.

Posted by: Dave | July 6, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Here's to hoping they actually put the score and game clock on the screen.

Not that I didn't enjoy reading the 2008 college football bowl schedule 1,302 times while wondering exactly how much time had passed in the half...

Posted by: Prophet | July 6, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

A draw puts us through as long as Poland doesn't beat South Korea. Predictions: I think the Koreans win 2-1...and we draw 2-2 to win the group. Brazil will be in second place, and South Korea advances as one of the top third place teams.

As for our line-up, I think we see Wallace and Sarkodie both start. No changes in the midfield and forwards.

Posted by: Dan | July 6, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

RE: silentbob

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Jaime,

Not much of a chance of seeing Arguez. He's down the depth chart behind Bradley and (arguably) Szetela. Never know though.

If this was a meaningless game, and Rongen wanted to give all the players a run (a la Boswell last night) then we'd see Arguez. But probably not tonight.

Posted by: the cheat | July 6, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"Why watch Copa on choppy, jumpy, streaming internet? The matches are shown en vivo on Telefutura."

Some of us don't get Telefutura... BTW, the Copa streaming video is among the best quality I've seen (although there was a noticeable decline in quality for the US/Columbia match).

Posted by: edgeonyou | July 6, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope that the US doesn't have a "Reversal of Fortune" tonight...

Posted by: RK | July 6, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Zizzo has another outstanding match so that we all start screaming for him in 2010. I hadn't heard of him before the Poland match and was surprised to learn that he's a forward. I mean. what kind of forward strips the ball off an opponent and takes it 50 yards before passing it for an assist?

Answer: The kind of forward that we need more of.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

In the first match here in Ottawa, a gallant effort by the North Koreans falls excruciatingly short -- 1-0 Argentina on a first-half goal by the brilliant Aguero (Atletico Madrid). The Argentines hit the post twice and missed by inches on two others, but the Koreans had a half-dozen CLEAR opportunities in the second half. Argentina wins the group with two wins and a tie, and awaits the second-place team from Group D (USA, Brazil, S. Korea or Poland).

Posted by: Goff | July 6, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

is there any internet streaming of this game? i don't have either Galavision or ESPN. i just tried launching the video player at cbc.ca, but it said I was not in the viewing area (i'm in NYC, but i might guess all the US is not in the viewing area).

Posted by: no ESPN or Gala | July 6, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

does this mean the Korea-Poland game will be on ESNU? if anyone knows please post soon

Posted by: Peter | July 6, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

As far as I know, USA-BRZ on both channels: ESPN and ESPNU.

Essentially, ESPN is breaking into ESPNU's broadcast.

Posted by: Goff | July 6, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

game is also streaming at espn360.com (assuming your local provider as espn 360)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Can we get any of our coaches to wear a suit on the sidelines? No one seems to do it, not Bradley, Rongen, Arena never did ...

You know, get the crest on the jacket pocket, class it up a little bit.

Posted by: tmc | July 6, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Not that I care, in fact I would prefer this on most telecasts, but what's with the audio? You can barely hear the play-by-play guy over the crowd noise. I wish ESPN was using this sound feed (or these sound technicians) when broadcasting the World Cup (drowning out Dave O'Brien, would anyone complain?).

Posted by: G-Dub | July 6, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Why is the sound so bad-i can't hear the announcers.

Also, if espn shows competitive eating shouldn't they show compewtitive carpping contests?

Posted by: sound? | July 6, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I like this Zizzo kid, two nice runs already, though no one making the proper run in the middle for his pass, in addition to his two great runs against Poland.

Posted by: Luis | July 6, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Did ESPN decide to show the game so last minute that they couldn't bring anything but amateur sound equipment?

And daaaammmmnnnn those Brazilians have some skill on the ball.

Posted by: Souuuunnnd? | July 6, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I think the U20s could have beaten the Copa squad.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

nice goal by altidore. it sure is nice to see a US side that can finish...

Posted by: dco | July 6, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Geez, with Altidore, Rogers, Zizzo and (dare I say it?) Freddy, our Copa América apathy almost is making more sense.

Posted by: Jonathan | July 6, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Nicely taken goal by Altidore. Eddie Johnson would've passed that back.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Josmer as senior team #1 forward option?

Posted by: Rockville | July 6, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I do only have Univision, not Telefutura (boo). But yes, that is an incredible video feed and coverage. Doesn't beat the tube, though.

Posted by: Jonathan | July 6, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Goff | July 6, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Defense is playing well to kill some of Brazil's chances, but they're being tested too much. Offense was showing some promise early, but petered out right before Altidore's goal (from a turnover).

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

So with Brasil losing and Poland winning, does Brasil not qualify for the next round . . . or can they be the best third and still sneak in?

Posted by: delantero | July 6, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Should add that we got lucky that Brazil killed some of their own chances.

Looking at the tracks of ground rubber on the field reminds me that I have to vacuum the house.

Is Joey here or did dinner with the wife trump footy with the virtual gang?

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Top 6 of 8 3rd place teams get through. Since North Korea have 2 points in 3rd place, Brazil pretty much needs one other group team to have 3 points and a GD of worse than -1 (if this scoreline holds, a HUGE if) to go through.

Of course, a draw or win see them through.

Of note, if the Poland score holds, we have to win to advance first in the group. And if Poland leave this group with 6 points, that makes Monday all the more impressive.

Posted by: Kyle | July 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, that should have been a yellow to red.

Posted by: Kyle | July 6, 2007 9:03 PM | Report abuse

That was an unfortunate series. We could have scored a game breaker on several chances, but come up empty only to have a squeaker get by on us.

Posted by: d | July 6, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Michael Bradley is killing us out there. Bad touches the whole game, looks slow. The goal was completely his fault

Posted by: Nick | July 6, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

As a US supporter that was killer, missing those chances and having the equalizer scored on a somewhat cheap goal. But as a lover of the game, this is great stuff. Beats anything the Copa America has produced in terms of excitement.

Posted by: G-Dub | July 6, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Altidore is having a lot of problems with the turf. Surprising, since he plays in the Meadowlands.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOAL! Adu trickery and killer goal number two. Could the USA do it?????

Posted by: gallegoscot | July 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Where is this Adu on a regular basis in MLS? He needs to get to Europe now or actually try in MLS.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Adu is more brazilian than any of the brazilians...amazing

Posted by: Nick | July 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

no problems with the turf on that one! =)
woo-hoo!

Posted by: j | July 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody tell me what the deal is with the artificial turf and FIFA. it really plays quite differently. is this some sort of trial thing allowed only on the youth level? what im most concerned about is whether a World Cup game will be sullied by the plastic abomination?

Posted by: Free DC | July 6, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Well then... that was nice to see. I'd say Freddy is earning himself a contract out there.

Posted by: G-Dub | July 6, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

After weeks of watching Twellman and Johnson put the ball in row Z from where Altidore was, it was nice to see him put it away.
Jozy has earned #1 spot with USMNT.

Posted by: DCU Kevin | July 6, 2007 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Freddy has always shown glimpses of brilliance, even in MLS. The hardest part for a young player is to translate that into 90 minutes. I think this game shows he can do it if he is mentally into the game

Posted by: delantero | July 6, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

If you can't get up for brazil you don't have a pulse... maybe Freddy just needs the proper motivation?

Posted by: d, dc | July 6, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Cassio's call for the ball in the box on that last free kick was great, haha

Posted by: Jonathan | July 6, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Great win. Looks like us and Argentina for the title...

Posted by: Nick | July 6, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Where are the handshakes Brasil????

Just poor

Posted by: Triple J. | July 6, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Re: Replays

Posted by: d | July 6, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Just wow. What does it all mean? I neither know or care. We just beat Brazil.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Posted by: Kyle | July 6, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Betcha Altidore goes to Europe before Adu and for more money.

Josmer turns 18 in November.

Posted by: d | July 6, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful game.

It's good to see that Adu is good against people his own age, so that gives him some hope for the future...

Posted by: Ryan | July 6, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

BRILLIANT WIN GUYZ!! How often can you say that we outplayed BRA for most of the match and their only goal was basically an OG?!?!

GREAT JOB BOYS!!

Posted by: Sammy Nishi | July 6, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Exciting game and a tremendous win for the USA. To be fair, Brazil looked like they went to finishing school with the USMNT. But our boys played much better 2nd half. I hope Seitz is OK. He had a hell of a match but was really banged up.

I take back what I said about the economy of words for the British announcer. I thought I was listening to Farrakhan when he went into numerology.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 6, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

What a great win! I hope we can keep it up for the rest of the tournament!

Posted by: Andy in Eastern Market | July 6, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Adu is ready for Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

I am the only one who thought Adu fouled the Brazilian defender right before the ball that led to Altidore's first goal? i'm just saying...

Posted by: louis | July 6, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

yes, i think you are; i think freddy got hosed on a couple late calls as well; that dangerously play call when he would've had a break was bogus

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

if altidore isn't starting up front for the US national team by 2010 then something is horribly wrong;

also, i thought our back 4 was really bad and brazil was unmarked too often in our box and our clearing was horrendous - what's up with bradley heading it non-chalantly on a clear that ended up leading to brazil's goal.

what a great point blank save by seitz to preserve our lead in the closing minutes - another great us goalkeeper in the making.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

It means you party till you drop tonight, then wake up in the morning and wonder if it was all a dream...then you check score again on Internet and realize that USA actually did beat Brazil. Repeat process:)

Posted by: Dave the Wave | July 6, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I have some respect for the skill but the brazilians sure were a mouthy, whiny gang of punks. See them go and yap at adu at every dead ball? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
2-1.

Posted by: punks? | July 6, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

AMAZING GAME!

Posted by: Dave | July 6, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

"FYI, USA men have not beaten Brazil in OFFICIAL FIFA competition since 1989 under-17s."
Hey Steve... The Gold Cup 1-0 win in '98 doesn't count??
Preki and Kasey are going to be pretty dissapointed. ;)
Cheers!
PS: Great win for US especially after watching Copa America dissapointment. Josi Altidore is the future at striker. I still think Freddie should go to Brazil or Argentina for a year and THEN go to Europe (where he will be wanted by then). MLS coaches are killing his creativity. He would learn and thrive in that enviroment.
Cheers!

Posted by: Roberto | July 6, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

USA.
Good outing by the young guys, I'm excited to see how well they do in this tournament.
Can anybody tell me if a men's USA team has ever won a world cup, from this group stage I'd say we're in a position at least to compete for the championship.

Posted by: cooper | July 6, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steve... The Gold Cup 1-0 win in '98 doesn't count??
Preki and Kasey are going to be pretty dissapointed. ;)

That was the Gold Cup; i.e., at the CONCACAF, not the FIFA level.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 6, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

CONCACAF is FIFA -- red cards / suspensions carry over, etc.

Posted by: RB | July 6, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Goffster,
For once I do not agree with you..Freddy played a decent game vs South Korea and was spectacular vs Poland (no merely exemplary as you mentioned..)
Tonigh he played pretty well again! I am very happy for him. Great win for the U20!

Keep up the good work Goff!

Posted by: Charles | July 6, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"Re: Replays

Why do they keep cutting off Freddy's move that lead to the second goal? His juggle to split two defenders was fantastic!"

Yeah! Amen! That was a SWEET move. I can just see the Euro scouts being just as impressed with that move as with Altidore's two goals.

Although it WOULD be ironic if Altidore went to Europe before Freddy and for more money! :-)

The U-20s U.S. passing was MUCH better than the senior USMNT's passing. Who was it that kept doing those backward passes that totally faked out the Brazilian defenders? Was it Altidore? I couldn't tell.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 6, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

What a match! I can't wait until their first knockout round match next week. Adu and Jozi came up big. I believe!

Posted by: Bill in Md. | July 6, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bill in Md. | July 6, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

From Ottawa hotel... just got back, awesome game and awesome night. I have loads of fun. Sat with many Argy fans who were all cheering for the US because they hate Brasil. I don't know what else to say. The US played well enough but still has too many lapses.

I am a pretty experienced soccer traveler and have been fortunate to watch Brasil on many occasions now at various levels but as a previous poster mentioned, they are POOR losers. Granted they don't have much practice but the constant sniping at the US players and ref while losing, the refusal to shake hands or trade shirts is embarrassing. In fairness, a few Brasilian players, including Pato, did shake hands quickly before departing.

On a related note, I was disappointed in Seitz and his blatant time wasting the entire 2nd half. I know that "everyone else does it" but I've always been proud that by and large the US has avoided disgracing the game in this way.

Posted by: Scott | July 6, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

HEY is anyone going to TORONTO TO WATCH THE GAME???

Posted by: USACAMPEON | July 6, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Now I ain't saying this was bigger than the Gold Cup, not by a fair stretch, but for pure hope and enthusiasm for the future of US soccer I'm giddier now than after the Mexico win.

What a payoff for the soccer dorks! I didn't imagine I could take so much pleasure in watching the U-20's on a Friday night. Do I need to seek help?

Posted by: eric | July 6, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Seitz didn't delay any more than is normal, not even what someone who is delaying would usually try for. Besides, towards the end he was injured so waiting for someone to take his kicks for him was out of necessity. It certainly wasn't the keeper from Colombia, that was a disgrace.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

is this freddy's official blog?

Posted by: sam | July 6, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I would say that topping this group is a bigger achievement than winning the Gold Cup. We should always win the Gold Cup if its being played in the US. No excuse not to.

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | July 6, 2007 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Great game! The energy our and skill our guys have showed in the last two games is the perfect way to wash our lousy Copa America performance out of my brain.

Every time I see Jozy play I get excited about his future, and the last two games Freddy has played like the prodigy he was billed to be.

Posted by: Jeff M | July 6, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Was it just me or was the first touch by the players today a LOT better than on the national team? The trapping seemed a lot better tonight, and they seemed to keep the ball at their feet off the pass rather than have it go 5-10 feet off and have to chase it down. REALLY helped with keeping possession. Trapping seems to be a lacking skill for the "adults."

Posted by: Kevin | July 7, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

"I still think Freddie should go to Brazil or Argentina for a year and THEN go to Europe (where he will be wanted by then). MLS coaches are killing his creativity. He would learn and thrive in that enviroment."

I couldn't agree with you more. If he could get picked up by a big S. America team -- say River Plate, Boca, Flamengo, or Vasco da Gama, it would be really good for his skills development. I just don't think it would be a popular decision among their fan base. Could they even afford him? Would his agent get laughed at?

Posted by: David | July 7, 2007 12:27 AM | Report abuse

"Freddy's never leaving MLS. Whatever gave you the impression that he was good enough?"

I have no idea.

Posted by: silentbob | July 7, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

HA! Freddy, "MATOBRASILIANOS" the Brasilian slayer playing for Vasco? BRILLIANT!

Would love for him to go there. He would do well, very well.

Posted by: delantero | July 7, 2007 1:23 AM | Report abuse