Postdotcom. Venezuela. Canada. Landisville.

What a grand day for Insider loyalists. We'll start at 1 p.m. with a live online chat at washingtonpost.com (where I am sure I'll get plenty of unanswerable questions about DCU's proposed stadium scheduled to open in 2029 zzzzzzz).

We've got Freddy and the U-20 lads, coming off their sterling performance against Brazil, facing another South American side, third-place finisher Uruguay, in the round of 16 in Toronto at 7:45 p.m. on ESPNU and Galavision. We've got the Mexico-Argentina semifinal showdown (Castillo vs. Messi!) at Copa America at 8:45 on Gol TV and Univision.

And most importantly, we've got D.C. United taking a long bus ride to Landisville, Pa. (population 4,771) and Pennsylvania Dutch country for a U.S. Open Cup round-of-16 match against the USL2's Harrisburg City Islanders. If United was not taking his match seriously, last night's results certainly caught their attention: The USL2's Richmond Kickers upset the Los Angeles Galaxy, USL1's Charleston Battery surprise defending MLS champion Houston and USL1's Rochester RAGING Rhinos stretch New England to the end before dropping a 4-2 result. A day earlier, Dallas needed PKs to knock off USL1 Atlanta.

Now, I know all of you will be joining me on the chat at 1 p.m. (that's 1 p.m. Eastern, noon Central, 11 a.m. Mountain, 10 a.m. Pacific), but with so many choices this evening, what is your multimedia gameplan? My suggestion: Split-screen TV for Copa and the U-20s and split-screen PC to listen to Tony Limarzi's exclusive DCU play-by-play on dcunited.com and, of course, to monitor the Insider for updates and discussion.

Also today, Greg Ryan, coach of the U.S. women's team, will announce 18 players heading to the Women's World Cup in China in September. The final three slots on the roster will be determined in the coming weeks.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Perhaps you've heard the rumors about U.S. forward Eddie Johnson heading overseas soon. The latest word is that it's not happening, which does not mean the issue is dead. For the moment, though, he's staying in Kansas City.

Rock on.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 11, 2007; 8:35 AM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Salary Numbers
Next: In Search of DCU's Lineup

Comments

Where to find GolTV post-game...in Pennsylvania Dutch Country....

Posted by: Phil | July 11, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Apologies to the folks in Landisville and Canada, but Argentina-Mexico is the must-see game. The Argentines are a world-class joy to watch, while Mexico looks much better than they did a few weeks ago in the Gold Cup.

Posted by: SSMD | July 11, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Darn, I think EJ could use Europe...and Real Sociedad needs help to return to La Liga, where they belong.

I'll watch the Mex-Arg game, since I have GolTV, and look around for updates on the other two games. At least I can get online live scoring of the U20 game.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

any word on whether ESPN will promote the US U-20 game tonight to ESPN or ESPN2 as they did for the brazil match?

Posted by: jtk | July 11, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and watch the Tour de France in the meantime, just for the scenery. I just wish Google Earth have live tracking again this year.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Since ESPN has decided to bury the U-20 game, I won't need a split screen.

Tell me how it goes.

Posted by: Tommie | July 11, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

We have a women's team?

Posted by: New England Guy | July 11, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Only for one month every 4 years.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I will have to miss the US-Uruguay matchup, because I'm going to the Open Cup game.

Steven, any word on who actually made the travelling roster (other than that Kpene did and Namoff didn't)?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 11, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Never mind, I just remembered while waiting for my post to show up that you already said that Soehn wouldn't reveal who was on it besides Kpene.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 11, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Get Dish Network. Lots of games; no comcast service headaches...

Watching US U-20's and will flip to the Mexico game during the inevitable flop-and-rolls that are part of South American soccer.

Sorry, don't really have any interest in this DC match...

Posted by: Hacksaw | July 11, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

For the record, Comcast doesn't get Galavision, correct?

Posted by: Logan Circle | July 11, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I think Eddie should have pulled an LD after the Gold cup. He looked good there, but completely out of his element in Venezuela. Yes the services wasn't the same, but he probably killed his chances in those 3 games.

Posted by: DCUinCT | July 11, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

ESPN officials are crazy if they think they will get better ratings showing a 2-day old repeat of the Home Run Derby rather than the US-Uruguay match!

Posted by: Dsmac | July 11, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

If a non-MLS team wins USOC, can it take RSL's place?

Posted by: asfoolasiam | July 11, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

ESPN is under contractual obligation to show what they are showing tonight on their main networks -- just the way it is in TV-land. Same thing for the quarterfinals. However, if the U.S. makes the semis, they are going to try to shift coverage to the main network.

Posted by: Goff | July 11, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hang with the Barra at Kilroy's tonight and watch both games side by side.

Posted by: Chico | July 11, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm going for u20's and timeshift the Mex/Arg match. I'll have to also search out some birch beer to toast to DC.

Lady Nats? zzzzzzzz

Posted by: EssEff | July 11, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"DCU's proposed stadium scheduled to open in 2029 zzzzzzz"

That shore is a purty pitcher, though.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 11, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if any bars in Bethesda will be showing the U-20 game? That is what I want to watch tonite.

Posted by: DC United Fan | July 11, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Quote: "Comcast doesn't have Galavision or ESPNU! Thos of us with Comcast are out of luck."

Other things Comcast lacks: HDNet and customer service reps with half a brain.

Posted by: Sofia Boy | July 11, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Nice little dig at the name of the Rochester team, Goff. As someone who grew up in Rochester at the time of the team's inception, I think I speak for most Rochester natives when I say that we are well aware of the ridiculousness of being called the RAGING Rhinos....

Posted by: couchtoast | July 11, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I didn't hear anything about Eddie. Where did this come from and what country/team?

Posted by: Jay | July 11, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Don't know if you have a crappier version of Comcast, but I have Comcast Cable here in Annapolis, and I have Galavision.

I have set my DVR to record the U-20s and the ARG-MEX match, and I'll watch them when I return from Landisville, PA.

Posted by: MattM | July 11, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I was referring to an old rumor that Real Sociedad was interested in EJ...

Another match I'll be missing: U-20 Brazil v Spain...

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

ESPN should at least show a delayed broadcast on ESPN-Classic, like they did for some Champions League matches

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

for those why don't have espn* (i only have goltv and fsc) you can watch the usa-uruguay u-20 game online. just go to http://myp2p.eu/ and under 'football/weekdays' click on the appropriate link. that's how i watched the usa-brazil game last friday. excellent quality (better than mlslive.tv for sure). props to all the bigsoccer homies for finding this...

Posted by: dfunkt | July 11, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The rumor about Eddie Johnson is that newly promoted Derby County, of the EPL, is ineterested.

Posted by: pecanturtle | July 11, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: Women's National Team

Refresh my memory on which US team has actually been the World Champion?

Oh yeah, the Women.

Lay off until the US MNT can kick similar ass.

Posted by: Nathanhj | July 11, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

So what? Derby County likes to play attacking soccer where their striker gets the ball in a dangerous spot and then passes it back? Did they not get the videos from the Copa America?

Posted by: Nathanhj | July 11, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Apples and oranges.

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm with RK - there's no way you can compare the accomplishments of the U.S. women's soccer team to that of the men's.

But to please Nathanhj, we can take out the specificity and just say this:

Women's soccer? Zzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: DE | July 11, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

All I'm saying is that we have a world class soccer program right here in the USA, largely thanks to our "official" commitment to gender equity through Title IX, which has won world championships and given many fans some of the tensest and most fulfilling moments any soccer fan could hope for.

If you think that the beautiful game isn't beautiful when women play it, hey, fine, difference of opinion are what make this country great.

But I challenge men's soccer fans to actually watch a high-calibre women's game (say US v. Sweden or US v China), looking for the different, but unique (understanding that, like women's basketball it is in many ways a different approach to the game), beauty these women bring out in their contests and still fall asleep.

If that still happens, if your love of soccer is overpowered by the somnabulence of your sexism, then I think I can dig up Jim Rome's number for you and you can commiserate with him about that stupid game where you can't use your hands.

Posted by: Nathanhj | July 11, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I've watched and reffed plenty of women's soccer games. There is nothing "beautiful" about it. The pace is sub-snail-like, I can count on one hand, the amount of times I've had to break stride from a slow jog to keep up with the play. That's the real Zzzzzz

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 11, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"I like women's soccer, but how much did you watch Team USA during the Heinrichs' era, Nathanhj?"

I don't know about Nathanhj, but I think I still have my videotape of the first WWC final in China in November 1991, which was shown on a delayed basis by Home Team Sports, the predecessor to Comcast Sports Network. That was the Heinrichs era as in Heinrichs as a player, before she was a coach.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 12, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, I can remember an even earlier (pre-USWNT) Heinrichs era, as I saw North Carolina play at George Mason several times in the mid-eighties, including when UNC was upset by GMU in the 1985 NCAA final.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 12, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse