Impressionism

With an evening flight out of Ottawa, I had the pleasure of spending a cool, rainy day in the Canadian capital's city center, much of it at the breathtaking National Gallery to see the Renoir exhibit and explore an incredible building. Wonderful city, lots to remind you of Europe, hope to be back again soon.

Back to Washington tonight, out to Houston Sunday on Greyhound (er, Southwest Airlines) for United's clash with the scorching Dynamo. Namoff and Kpene did not travel. Moreno was given the weekend off after Copa duty. Olsen and Boswell are expected to be in uniform.

Unless something arises over the next 24 hours, I will not rejoin you again until an hour or two before kickoff.

I leave you with the words of Renoir:

"I would only see the big harmonies without paying attention to the small details that fade the sun rather than make it blaze."

I found this quote appropriate in our little world, for if we are perpetually distracted by formations, tactics and statistics, we lose sight of the game's larger elegance and meaning. Something to think about.

By Steve Goff  |  July 7, 2007; 5:28 PM ET
Categories:  Misc.
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA-BRZ Aftermath
Next: Matchday 14: DCU at Houston

Comments

Quotes from Impressionists not proving popular amongst the Soccer Insider faithful.

"The awareness of our own strength makes us modest."- Paul Cezanne

Posted by: Bill Urban | July 7, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

How about a comedian instead?

"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." -- "Brother Dave" Gardner

(ObInsider: Nice how the U20s beating Brazil fulfills both ends of that quote...)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 7, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Let them hate so long as they fear.

Macchiavelli

Posted by: d | July 7, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

And who said soccer fans were hooligans? Maybe educated hooligans :)

Posted by: Bart | July 7, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

What can you tell us about the new stadium push? Sleeping no more?

Posted by: Kinney | July 7, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

d: That quotation is more properly attributed to Lucius Accius.

Posted by: Paul | July 7, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Soccer = A hooligans game, played by gentlemen.
Rugby = A gentleman's game, played by hooligans.

Posted by: AlecW81 | July 7, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

"It's in the net!" - Dave Johnson (orig.)& Luciano Emilio

Posted by: Anonymous | July 7, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Stadium renderings, call for action....Goff, any inside information?

Posted by: Rafael | July 7, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"Public toilets, atheism, publicly funded radio and association football - these are all things of which no society can have too much. Witness the fact that soccer-playing America is massively liberal, loving, caring, socially conscious and nice. While soccer-hating America consists of increasingly isolated gangs of Bush-supporting, bible-bashing, gun-crazed, dungaree wearing, banjo-playing, quasi-fascist chicken-lovers and their twelve fingered, pin-headed, cyclopic, drooling monster children." Steven Wells

Posted by: longfellow | July 7, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Since I'm the quote policeman of this thread, you got those backwards, Alec.

Posted by: Paul | July 8, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Jim Rome can suck my d---! And he should be very afraid, because I'm the kind of guy, if I get too many drinks in me, I will club his a--. I've been on with Jim Rome, and I said, "Let me get this straight, you're more impressed with water polo???
-Eric Wynalda

Posted by: bbarrie | July 8, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"To the aesthete it is an art form, an athletic ballet. To the spiritually inclined it is a religion." ~Paul Gardner

"The Glaswegian definition of an atheist: a bloke who goes to a Rangers-Celtic match to watch the football." ~Sandy Strang

"To say that these men paid their shillings to watch twenty-two hirelings kick a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and catgut, that Hamlet is so much paper and ink." ~J.B. Priestley, The Good Companions, 1928

"Some people say soccer's a matter of life or death, but it isn't. It's much more important than that." ~Variation of a famous saying

Posted by: RIck in Ashburn | July 8, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea." ~ Eric Cantona

"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol; it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." ~ George Best

"I was watching the Blackburn game on TV on Sunday when it flashed on the screen that George Ndah had scored in the first minute at Birmingham. My first reaction was to ring him up. Then I remembered he was out there playing." ~ Ade Akinbiyi

"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league." ~ Mark Viduka

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | July 8, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team, I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion. (Mia Hamm)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: sitruc | July 8, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"Everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football."

"Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear."

-Albert Camus

Posted by: G-Dub | July 8, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

More quotes by Pierre-Auguste Renoir (translated from the original French):

"Boating's over. Let's have lunch."

"Hey! Little Girl! Gimme my watering can back"

"Yo Claude! Your painting of the same scene looks nothing like mine. Are you going blind, or what?"

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 8, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: London Dan | July 8, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

London,

SWEET! I can see my seats from here.

Posted by: delant | July 8, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I think the right saying is:

Soccer is a gentleman's game played and watched by hooligans.

Rugby is a hooligan's game played and watched by gentleman.

At least that's how I heard it from a bartender in Dublin during one of those 5 nations (7 nations?) rugby tournaments when I asked if there'd be trouble from the rugby fans.

Ottawa is a great great city.

Posted by: comfortstarr | July 8, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply

Posted by: d | July 8, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

Posted by: griffin1108 | July 8, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

London Dan,

I'm in London for the next few weeks (at LSE). Do you know anywhere you can watch DCU or U-20s?

Posted by: ngu in london | July 8, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

'Whoever invented football should be worshipped as a god" Hugo Sanchez

"We'll have more football later, now here are the highlights from the Scottish Cup final" Gary Newborn

"I don't believe in God, in Spain, all 22 players cross themselves, if that worked every match would be a tie" Johan Cruijff

"Soccer is not about justice. It's a drama - and criminally wrong decisions against you are part and parcel of that" Pete Davies

"If this can be termed the century of the common man, then soccer, of all sports, is surely his game.... In a world haunted by the hydrogen and napalm bomb, the football field is a place where sanity and hope are still left unmolested." Stanley Rous

"just hearing the name Real Madrid makes me want to vomit." Hristo Stoichkov

Posted by: northzax | July 8, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along."

"In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."
-Bill Shankley

Posted by: Anonymous | July 8, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Some more Shankley quotes:

"If he had gunpowder for brains he couldn't blow his cap off."

"Brian Clough's worse than the rain in Manchester. At least God stops that occasionally."

"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game."

"If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards."

"If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains."

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | July 8, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Goff's worst nightmare...a DCU press release about the new stadium...wonder if there will be sufficient tailgating space. I noticed the date is now 2010...hope it is before the next mayoral election.

Posted by: DCUfan | July 8, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm the one who said that thing about not caring if they love us as long as they fear us.

Posted by: Caligula | July 8, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

But what about the Rum? (The words of Jack Sparrow... always makes watching the US more bearable..)

If only the folks who talk in adfinitum about formations, tactics, and use words such as 'dangerous' and 'world class' all the time would shush. The world would be a better place.

Posted by: Hacksaw | July 8, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

ngu in London - The Famous 3 Kings is a great place to watch football. It's right off of the West Kensington tube stop. All of the U20 Games are televised live over here on Eurosport TV. Find a place that has Eurosport TV and you're in luck. Unfortunately, my DCU fix comes from the net.

Posted by: London Dan | July 9, 2007 4:06 AM | Report abuse

"Peace through strength."

- RR

Posted by: Che is dead, move on | July 9, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"if we are perpetually distracted by formations, tactics and statistics, we lose sight of the game's larger elegance and meaning" - Goff

I love this. Futbol's beauty is found precisely in the game's larger elegance and meaning. Look at Brasil/USA... This is a manifestation of world history and cultures all coming together across time! Brasil has prospered because of its African and European roots -- African athleticism and rhythem, European organization and industriousness. USA is beginning to prosper in part because we are the great melting pot (see Adu and Altidore's roots), and because of globalization's integrating forces.

International futbol is a live manifestation of historical forces and world cultures. It is The Beautiful Game.

Posted by: David | July 9, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse