The Beckham Watch

You don't think MLS team officials are getting a little jittery about David Beckham's ankle injury and his availability to play?

On the eve of what was supposed to be Beckham's one visit to his club's stadium this year, FC Dallas executive Michael Hitchcock last night took the unusual step of issuing the following statement:

"Tuesday's SuperLiga match against the LA Galaxy is one of the most important matches in our club's history. A win would advance FC Dallas to the semifinals of the tournament, and put us one step closer to winning this inaugural North American title. While we understand that some fans may be disappointed that David Beckham's injury has prevented him from playing in the match, we know that Los Angeles is still a very dangerous team and will also be looking to secure their place in the SuperLiga semifinals. We're looking forward to the support of a sold-out crowd at Pizza Hut Park."

With Beckham's status uncertain for upcoming games, teams around the league might have to follow Dallas's lead and consider a preemptive public relations strike to placate those who scrambled to buy seats. (Those holding tickets to tonight's game have been offered a special deal for the Galaxy's next visit, whether it's in the playoffs or next year.) Of course, any time a fan buys a ticket to a sporting event, he/she runs the risk of not seeing a particular player compete because of injury or suspension. Things happen. The home team is not to blame and cannot be expected to offer refunds. This is not a bait-and-switch situation, as some in the media hysterically accused United of doing when Freddy Adu arrived in 2004. Beckham is genuinely hurt and the Galaxy will not risk serious damage just for the sake of satisfying the giddy masses.

In this particular case, however, people who do not come to MLS matches are buying tickets by the bundles to see Beckham and, in some cases, spending more money than is normally required. In Washington, upper deck seats at RFK Stadium -- which are usually not available for regular season matches -- went for $35, the same price for some of the best locations in the lower bowl on any other night. The Aug. 9 match will be sold out with approxmiately 45,000 fans in attendance, making it the largest turnout, by far, for a United regular season game that was not part of a doubleheader.

Beckham is scheduled to make his MLS league debut Sunday on artificial turf in Toronto, then come to Washington for a match four days later. The Galaxy then must play on turf at New England three days after that and, if the club advances in the SuperLiga, quickly turn around to prepare for a semifinal. It's a demanding schedule for any player, never mind one with a bad ankle and the burden of having to perform at a world-class level everywhere he goes.

Did Dallas handle this properly? Should other clubs prepare to do the same? What would you do if Beckham was questionable for his appearance in your stadium?

By Steve Goff  |  July 31, 2007; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Only Two Games??
Next: Moreno Is Back

Comments

My guess is that they'll give him a few more days to rest, then start trotting him out in the final minutes of games until he is fully recovered.

Posted by: DC | July 31, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Forget that. If he doesn't play I want my 5 ticket pack refunded. Or a date with Posh....

Posted by: Hacksaw | July 31, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I live in DC and a business trip coincided with tonights match. I bought 7 tickets thinking that I'd be seeing beckham in what woudl have probably been an exhibition match. The way superliga worked out, both teams need a result to advance so the game will probably be entertaining (to me). 4 of my guests are casual fans/newbies so they only wanted to go to see the spectacle. They'll go, but the cachee of saying "I saw David Beckham" will take the luster off the match unless it's a real barn burner...

I agree with Goff that there are no guarantees with who's playing. If there were, we'd be clamoring for a refund for not being able to see Jaime for the last 8 weeks!

You pays your money and you takes your chances....

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | July 31, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

You pays your money and you takes your chances....

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | July 31, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

NE plays on turf now? You mean turf as in real grass or turf as in artificial turf?

As for the issue at hand, I have been saying since his injury happened that MLS needed to be very careful with their hype. They obviously learned absolutely nothing from the Freddy situation and the hype machine has been in overdrive. I think it would not be an issue if the club hadn't decided to gouge people by charging inflated prices for the tickets over what they charge for any other game or required people to buy tickets as part of a larger package. Why were they able to charge so much? Because they basically promised Beckham would play. Look at all the marketing it's not DC United v. the LA Galaxy. It's DC United v. David Beckham (and oh yeah, the rest of the LA Galaxy will happen to be there too). If he doesn't play next week everyone who had to pay $35 for a crappy upper deck seat deserves to be mad and frankly I think they deserve some sort of compensation.

Posted by: Glenn | July 31, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Goff and Looking Dangerous that there are no guarantees with who's playing. But I think FCD handled it correctly.

Posted by: 12th man | July 31, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

people won't understand. well, i'll rephrase that, non-football fans won't understand. people, such as ourselves, should understand that football is a very taxing game on the body. injuries are to be taken seriously and given time to heal, and if necessary, ample time needs to be given to recoup.

while buying game tickets for one player is silly, people will do it. if these people don't understand, the teams (and beckham) should not take any flack.

you don't go to vegas if you're not prepared to lose. it's all a gamble. i've been to two dc/hou games at RFK in recent memory and if i recall, de rosario was out both times. once with injury, once with a red card. it's bound to happen. (not saying i went for DDR, it's just a situation i recall)

Posted by: antonio | July 31, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Let's admit it, Bex is a special case both ways. Teams are "maximizing revenue" around him in ways that border on extortion. They can do this because his appeal extends beyond sports, and light-years beyond the boundary of MLS.

Certainly the teams have no duty to refund money. I have not expected one dime back despite seeing a partial-strength DCU the last few games. But I truly understand the ins and outs of MLS. I have seen at least one game in every MLS season and have had season tickets for 7 years.

Many of the Bex fans are having the first experience with MLS. It is simply good business to extend an olive branch if there is no Beckham when LA comes to town.

You have to treat the casual fan better than you treat the hardcore. It is just a fact.

Posted by: Mark M | July 31, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

So Dallas is keeping their money for tonight's game and taking their money (albeit a little less) for a later game. I assume these fans will still pay full price for parking and concessions at the later game.

Folks, the PR is so good you don't notice the marketing.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 31, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

The problem is how the teams sold the Beckham games. We bought tickets to the Red Bull game...I believe double the prices, and we had to buy a "special" 4 pack that added $10 to the price of the tickets for a cheap soccer ball.

It's not like there is differentiated prices for the other games...costs the same whether Houston visits or RSL.

I find it a little disappointing that they wouldn't sell the game the same way sold as the other games and hope that people spent more on merch or whatever as the games were more "affordable" than other sports. At least, that used to be one of the selling points for MLS...

Posted by: b | July 31, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

In most main stream American sports, the general public does have the general understanding that a star player (or any player) can get hurt at any given time.

However, as seen in hockey (NHL), when your sport is not apart of the mainstream, you are examined by how many novelty acts you can create.

Because really, with the NHL, if Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin were not on the ice for their respective teams, who in the mainstream would watch either team on any given night?

The MLS teams must realize that half the fans showing up to these games with Beckham are there for the novelty. They must do something to make up for the lost novelty in order to keep them "interested" (that is, until they realize soccer is a pretty nifty game without the novelties).

Posted by: James | July 31, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Dallas is doing the right thing.

Honestly, if you ask for a refund, I don't want you in the stadium to begin with. In fact, I should ask for a refund, having to sit next to the masses of Eurosnobs and screaming teenagers.

Posted by: Hoost | July 31, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Becks will make an appearance on the field against DC, even if only for 10-15 minutes. Sold out, nationally televised on ESPN2 (one of only 3 nights ESPN will have the Galaxy televised that doesn't conflict with England national team duties for Beckham), and growing "disappointment factor" because of his non-play -- all of this will put an enormous amount of pressure on him/the Galaxy/MLS to suit up and make an appearance even if he's not quite right in the ankle yet.

Posted by: Jon | July 31, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Dallas handled it effectively. It's a Galaxy PR issue. Not an FC Dallas PR issue. They didn't mortgage their entire roster to sign Beckham.

Also, good for United and every MLS team for inflating ticket prices for their Beckham matches. I don't think it's fair for the league to promote one team over the rest of the lot, but why wouldn't United cash in on a public that doesn't come out to see Jaime & Company play but who will show up to see the Beckham circus. Maybe a few soccer snobs will discover that United puts a good product on the field--and that the product is available for a lot less money at a different match.

Posted by: DWE4 | July 31, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Cubs fans who went to the first three games against the Giants aren't getting their money back.

Brewers fans who went to the Sunday night game against the Giants aren't getting their money back.

While there's a slight difference here (principally, the two clubs in question did not raise prices substantially on the basis of Bonds being in town), the lesson is the same - buy a ticket, take your chances.

Posted by: Kyle | July 31, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Incidentally, I make the above comment in my capacity as Director of Wishful Thinking for DC United.

Seriously though, even if he doesn't play it'll be cool to have 45,000 at a soccer match -- I would even take 30,000. Atmosphere sells....

Posted by: Jon | July 31, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

If Becks was unavailable for the DC game? I'd run and hide from all the girls I got tickets for.

Posted by: Chico | July 31, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I love soccer and I would be at the games that I purchased no matter what. However if an MLS team (RBNY) required me to buy a 4 game partial season ticket plan in order to see the Beckham game I would be angry. As it stands that is the situation I am in. Don't advertise a ticket plan as the Beckham 4 game ticket plan if there is any chance he is not going to be there. The point is that MLS teams should have thought or filed a disclaimer for new fans who are unaware of things like injuries, suspensions, international duties, etc. Like I said I'm at the games no matter what, but a casual fan could see this as a major turn off (rip off).

Posted by: John | July 31, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Given the absurd schedule MLS created for Beckham, it was a given that his body wouldn't hold up. Every team should have prepared months in advance for the possibiity that he wouldn't play. To be caught by surprise is inexcusable.

Furthermore, immediately after Beckham said he felt a pop and coniderable pain in his already injured ankle back in June, it should have been assumed that he was going to out for a period of weeks, and maybe more. Expectation mamangement should have begun then, if not earlier.

Finally, since helping the Galaxy win is clearly not part of the plan, the Galaxy and MLS should right now decide on a few games in which Beckham will not play, since it's a given he won't be able to fulfill the entire schedule. He should be saved for the games in the NFL stadiums, and should not play in smaller stadiums, since the problem of his absence, though not a good thing, is more manageable in those smaller venues where fewer people, and fewer non-MLS fans, have bought tickets.

Posted by: Justin | July 31, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with a lot of what's been said here. If even 1,000 of the folks coming to RFK to see Beckham decide that they like the rest of what they see, that's a huge success. The product on the field, with or without Beckham, is slowly but surely improving. In my mind, that is what is most important.

Does DCU/MLS need to spin things a bit if Becks doen't play? Of course, any good business would. I love I-270's comment above that the "PR is so good you don't notice the marketing." So true.

The only thing that makes me a tad upset is that in trying to organize a large group I waited too long and had to pay $35 for upper deck seats.

In any event, here's to healthy left ankles!

Posted by: Dan | July 31, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

More money in DCU's pockets to sign a quality player is all to the good.

Posted by: US WNT fan | July 31, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Dallas is handling it right.

What's disgraceful are the Minnesota Thunder folks organizing the "Copa Minnesota" (http://www.copaminnesota.com/), billing "David Beckham & The Los Angeles Galaxy" for the October 10th game-- if Beckham is called up for the Euro qualifier that will be played three days later, he'll be a scratch, and the organizers will have bilked their fans.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | July 31, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Yes, the Revs play on turf. I believe it is FIFA-approved field-turf, but it is still lame. It has become more and more clear to us in NE that the Revs are just there to rack up tax losses for the Pat$. For now it is a winning team, but it does not seem sustainable over the long-term given the recent changes in the league. It would make a nice team for Philadelphia or Seattle if there were owners willing to put resources behind it.

Posted by: New England Guy | July 31, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I am from Chicago, and I can tell you the San Fran Giants tickets cost more than when the Pirates come to town. Please don't believe for one second that MLB teams don't raise prices for certain teams.

Posted by: PK | July 31, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Raising ticket prices because a certain team is coming to play is nothing new. If i go to any EPL team's stadium i will be paying a lot more for a seat if say Manchester United is playing than if Wigan Athletic is in town (no offense to any Wigan fans, thats just the way it is). In this case one player makes the Galaxy coming to town more important and i have no problem with teams charging more for those games.

Posted by: Pino | July 31, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

well, health and player availability will always be a concern for athletes, especially Beckham in MLS as the LA Galaxy schedule is so back-loaded this season.

ESPN2 (in HD) has opted to pick up the LA at Tornoto game this Sunday night.

hope Beckham gets more on-field time on 8/5, compared to his 16 minutes v Chelsea. ESPN doesn't want to disappoint its viewers with a soccer game that doesn't have Beckham playing in it.

Posted by: TV coverage | July 31, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad I already sold the extra tickets I had bought for friends who didn't wind up wanting to go to the Aug. 9 game...

Posted by: Vamos United | July 31, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

MLS needn't not make a fuss about this, because once they do people will latch onto it and become more upset by something they would have accepted had it happened in MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA. I say let it play out like any other injury, and don't make a bigger deal of it.

Posted by: Logan Circle | July 31, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

$35?

Try $150 for a crappy seat at a Redskins game on a Monday night in November. Tell me which fan is getting screwed?

Watching Donovan at RFK is worth the $35

Knowing that Eurosnobs paid $35 just to watch Donovan at RFK is priceless!

Posted by: Southeasterner | July 31, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Maybe they should pull one from the wrestling files:

"Card subject to change without notice..."

Posted by: RIP General | July 31, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I know hindsight is 20/20, but Becks should never have played that Chelsea game. I wonder how much more his injury was aggravated even with only playing 15 minutes.

Makes me glad that I'll be outta town next week on business, and was able to exchange my Aug. 9 ticket for last Sunday's SuperLiga match.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 31, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

... And oh yeah, if Becks DOES play at RFK next week, here's hoping he doesn't get his foot caught in the funky grass covering the Nats' infield ...

Posted by: Juan-John | July 31, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

They are setting their viewers up for disappointment on 8/5. Beckham isn't going to be at full strength and playing up to his standard. I would expect a half from Beckham at most. If I remember correctly didn't Dallas have a countdown till Beckham comes? If teams/TV excessively market 1 player they could be in big trouble with fans who know nothing about the game. I don't think a countdown was a good idea.

Posted by: ? | July 31, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

well, I question the intelligence of anyone who pays $150 to see the Redskins play period.

I guess I haven't seen any games from NE this year so I am surprised they are playing on turf now.

At least with higher prices for a TEAM like Man U or Chelsea you know that it is a team loaded with "stars" and mystique. It's not just one player you are paying for so there is less risk. In this case I'm sure the club will say that if they hadn't scalped the tickets themselves the scalpers would have and then the scalpers would have the extra revenue and not the club. Of course the scalpers would also be assuming all of the risk.

Ultimately let's hope he plays (poorly) and that this is all moot.

Posted by: Glenn | July 31, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Paying $35 for upper deck doesn't trouble me -- I prefer seats in the first couple of rows in the upper deck to virtually anything in the lower bowl. I wish it were open more often."

You took the words right out of my mouth. Of course, this applies only to the front of the upper deck, and it helps to be close to midfield. You are basically sitting directly above the placement of the principal TV camera (in the mezzanine near the press box), so it is like watching the match on TV, but on a 200-inch screen that takes in the entire pitch.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 31, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"If even 1,000 of the folks coming to RFK to see Beckham decide that they like the rest of what they see, that's a huge success."

If the game on the 9th is as exciting as the DC/LA 0-0 draw in June then I wouldn't count on too many people coming back. that game was awful.

Posted by: pat | July 31, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

John, No one forced you to buy the multi-game pack - there were single game tickets available. Thousands of them.

Posted by: Mount Pleasanter | July 31, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

will Jaime be in Houston on Wednesday?

Posted by: mighty! | July 31, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

In Goffs second to last paragraph he says "It's a demanding schedule for any player, never mind one with a bad ankle and the burden of having to perform at a world-class level everywhere he goes."

You meant to say "having to perform at an MLS level everywhere he goes".

Why do I say this? Its becoming widely reported here in L.A. that our Galaxy daily training is just a goof off for 2 hours with light drills and general chatting between players. Definitely NOT world class training.

Posted by: LAsupperClub | July 31, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It's cool that espn is picking up the toronto game. Could be a nice doubleheader after the DCU game. But.... I hope Beckham doesn't play. Turf can be pretty nasty and it seems like just the sort of thing that could really screw up a weakened ankle. He should definitely dress for the game, though, so we can all experience the drama of The David Beckham Experience tying and untying his shoes on Beckham-Cam for ninety minutes.

Posted by: stairs | July 31, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: US WNT fan | July 31, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

All you need to do is ask ESPN if he's going to play. They're the ones running the show.

During the MLS All-Star game, they interviewed Becks at halftime. He kept saying he wouldn't play v. Chelsea that weekend because it was better for him in the long haul. But the Worldwide Leader kept flashing a graphic that said "Will make MLS Debut Saturday v. Chelsea" whenever he said anything about not playing. We all know how that turned out.

It's clear who's in charge here.

Posted by: leafblower | July 31, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"It has become more and more clear to us in NE that the Revs are just there to rack up tax losses for the Pat$."

If there are any tax policy analysts or tax accountants or tax lawyers out there, I'd like to hear whether they find this argument very persuasive. To the extent that the Revs lose money, they reduce the tax liability of the parent company by some fraction of that loss, depending on what tax bracket the company is in (about 35 percent for most large corporations), which means that 65 percent of the loss is for real. Perhaps the existence of the Revs enables large depreciation allowances that shelter profits generated by the Patriots from taxation, or something like that.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 31, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Dallas appears to be handling it as well as a team can, but there's no magic solution that will make people accept this like reasonable adults. There's going to be a lot of spoiled complaining going on by people that have a sense of entitlement over this. Even people posting here (which indicates, on some level, a knowledge of soccer) are getting upset because they bought a 4 game plan and somehow thought they were guaranteed Beckham. You buy a ticket, and you're not guaranteed anything except a piece of paper. The game could be canceled due to lightning strikes, or a power outage. Is that MLS's fault too?

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 31, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area. The FC Dallas plan has been well recieved so far. I think most soccer fans did not expect him to play. (They did expect him to make the trip and wave to the fans from the bench.)

Like most, I understand the risk of buying tickets to see a particular player in any sport. I also know the MLS allowed the clubs to "jack up" the cost for Galaxy tickets with their promotinal packages. If Becks isn't even at the game, I think those casual fans that the MLS was hoping to attract will hesitate in buying tickets for future games.

The Galaxy have an absurd scehdule the rest of the season. They visit every MLS city starting with Dallas. The travel, the play, international duty and the public relations demands will make it impossible for Becks to look good every game. The wear and tear will beat down the rest of his team. Their future is not birght. I think at the end of the season Becks and Pele will have someting else in common. At the end of their first year in the US, their teams didn't make the playoffs.

Posted by: Crazy Al | July 31, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

"Penn State -- to go back to a previous thread -- the U-20 women played in front of almost 70,000 in Maracana v Brazil last week."

Yeah, I actually posted this factoid to that thread, but I think that hardly anyone reads more than three or four threads deep, and that is probably at least ten threads in the past by now. This was probably the largest crowd ever to see a women's football match outside the U.S. The 1991 WWC final in Guangzhou drew about 63,000; the 1995 WWC final in Stockholm, and 2000 and 2004 Olympic gold medal matches in Sydney and Athens, respectively, drew much smaller crowds.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 31, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Do people in this blog really think that it's "Euro/Soccer Snobs" buying all the extra tickets for the Galaxy match? You're having a laugh. First of all, a proper Europhilic soccer "snob" doesn't care about Beckham in MLS, in fact, it's more than likely another reason for them to laugh at the league. Don't believe me... try reading papers, blogs and boards in the UK.

Beckham's target audience is the non-soccer curio, the celebrity fawners, or the very generic soccer fan (who just watch the World Cup - trust me, that's a lot). And kids - lots and lots of kids, who are still on vacation and require parents to buy tickets as well.

Do you honestly think you'll be seeing old Mancs with beer stained Cantona shirts filling the extra 25,000 seats on the 9th? Please. MLS fans that throw out the term "Eurosnob" are hilarious to me. They've somehow developed an inferiority complex within their inferiority complex!

Posted by: Kev | July 31, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if Beckham plays or not. This is another chance to tell Landon how I really feel about his play in the World Cup!!

Posted by: ftz | July 31, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Admit it, you wear one, Kev!!

Posted by: Hoost | July 31, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

There is no way to dismiss that MLS pulled a MAJOR bait and switch with Adu. They were creaping up to it again when the Gals played Chelsea, but Beckham bent to pressure and played a cameo role. They should have stepped up and payed 5-7 million in January and had Beckham healthy from day 1.

Posted by: Sam | July 31, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Glenn | July 31, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"Inferiority complex? No, I don't think so. Most of us just laugh at them as they walk by in their Ronaldinho Barca shirts.

Admit it, you wear one, Kev!!"

When the Ugly One suits up for QPR, I'll buy his shirt :-)

Posted by: Kev | July 31, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Can someome define Eurosnob? And what is wrong with someone wearing a Barca jersey? Anyone who supports soccer is good for me.

Regarding tickets, how many of the whiners were planning on scalping theirs? No need for Dallas or any other team to makeup, but it is a nice gesture on their part that hopefully will payoff in the long run.

Posted by: gburg fan | July 31, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"Can someome define Eurosnob?"

Eurosnobs, in soccer's case, are those who are too elite in their interests to support or watch American soccer. They may discuss it, but only after letting you know that they usually watch quality soccer that is played exclusively in Europe. "I watch the EPL and don't usually watch MLS, but..." is a frequent refrain. They do not support the US national team (until we are consistent winners)

Eurosnobs jump on various bandwagons, based on the Euroteam's success (fewer of them will be on the Arsenal bandwagon now that Henry is gone). Some may even have a "favorite team" in each of the top Euroleagues. They wear their Euroreplicas to let *you* know that they are knowledgeable about top-flight soccer. Depending on the team's performance, they may switch between the Chelsea jersey and the Barca one. They dress their children in Euroreplicas for weekend soccer classes in Germantown.

They "support" distant teams they have never seen in person, in distant cities where they do not live and probably have never visited. They lack the true loyalty and passion of a soccer fan that is eloquently described by Nick Hornby.

Pity, do not hate the Eurosnob, for he has no soccer soul.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 31, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks I-270! Well done...

Posted by: gburg | July 31, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I-270 for new MLS Commish!! : ) Bravo!!!!!!

Posted by: Hoost | July 31, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Oh so by Eurosnob, you guys really just mean dipsh*t... I see now :-)

Posted by: Kev | July 31, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I-270's explanation of "Eurosnob" reminds me of one of LA Riot Squad's more appropriate chants at the Chelsea friendly:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TEAM

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 31, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Eurosnobs", as defined above, exist in all but a small handful of countries. They are certainly not American by definition. In fact, in most countries they represent a larger percentage of sports fans because in most countries soccer is more popular.

Posted by: Justin | July 31, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, at the Pizza Box, the Galaxy are laying a 4-0 beatdown on FC Dallas. Four goals in 20 minutes...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 31, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I-270: VERY well put. Though I do like a number of teams in Europe, NOTHING comes before my team in MLS and will support the league no matter what because it is OURS.
Anyone complaining about Beckham not playing is a front running a-hole who probably wasn't a fan of the league to begin with and I'm happy we have their money for being front running a-holes.
If Becks is hurt- don't play him. Same as any other player.
The only thing I would have changed in the press release is mentioning that this tournament is for $1million+ to the winner so it is serious, and competitive.

Posted by: papa bear | July 31, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Dallas vs LA results
x
Wow! 6-5 LA. FCD fans (er, Becks fans that live in Dallas) can't complain. A real scoring exhibition.

Posted by: JSF | July 31, 2007 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Having missed the 1st half due to weather delays I was thinking that missing 5 goals would make the rest of the game less than exciting. LIttle DId I know that the second half would bring 6 more!

Holy cow! The FCD Crowd was into the game and the back and forth scoring (darn you donovan!) made Beck-ham's (and Cobi's!) absence very forgettable.

NO Beck-ham, 11 Goals, and a galaxy team into the 1/4's. Conspiracy theorists start your engines.

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | August 1, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse

People paid to see David Beckham and expect to see him... Maybe Beckham can trot the touchlines and throw out-of-bounds balls back in.

Posted by: ML | August 1, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse