The Lineup Game

Tom Soehn is refusing to reveal Sunday's starting lineup to Insider loyalists. Outrageous! Intolerable! Unacceptable! Well, not really.

So knowing what we know -- Olsen, Moreno, Namoff, Kpene and Moose are out -- What Would Soehn Do?

Addlery, Dyachenko or Fred paired with Emilio up front?

Burch at left back and Gros in midfield? Or does Gros stay in the back and Mediate start on the midfield flank?

Carroll or Simms at defensive midfield? Or do both start?

Well......

Let's hear it.....

By Steve Goff  |  July 20, 2007; 2:40 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News and Notes
Next: The News Never Stops

Comments

Who is Steven Goff? I thought this was the Sports Bog.

Posted by: Blackaces | July 20, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

My lineup:

Perkins
McTavish - Boswell - Vanney - Gros
DeRoux - Gomez - Simms - Fred
Moreno - Addlery

Posted by: Busy Physio | July 20, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Has Burch ever lined up at outside mid in reserve matches? I'd hate to see us make that back line any more messed up than it already is. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd prefer Gros stay in back until Namoff is healthy.

It seems like we have very few options. We have a "wide" bench but little "depth" on our roster.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | July 20, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Fred play at withdrawn forward.

Emilio Fred
DeRoux Gomez Carroll Gros
Burch Vanney Boswell McTavish
Perkins

Posted by: the cheat | July 20, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

You move quicker than I do. It's probably that refreshing vacation you took (I am waiting for mid-August for mine).

What I would do:

------------- Gomez
Mediate --------------- Fred
---------- B. Carroll
Gros Vanney Boswell McTavish
------------ Perkins

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 20, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Goff you go away for a week and suddenly you lose your insider status! hahaha

Posted by: HFIC | July 20, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

bench vanney

Posted by: johnny | July 20, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd go with the cheat's lineup. Putting Burch on the backline and moving Gros back up to the midfield would enable Fred to play a game up top.

I think Chest is right though, Soehn will probably play Addlery up top (ugh!).

Posted by: DE | July 20, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Mark Simpson Back in Goal!! :)
Boswell Center Back
Vanney Center Back
Burch Left Back
McTavish Right Back
Carroll Defensive CM
Fred Attacking CM
Gros Right Mid
Simms Left Mid
Gomez and Emilio Up Top...or you can switch Gomez and Fred.

Posted by: Mitch | July 20, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I just heard from the coach - here is the line up....

Perkins
Simms- Boswell - Vanney - Gros
Olsen- Gomez - Carroll- Fred
Emilio- Addlery

Posted by: bobF | July 20, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Why do you and the MLS refuse to tell us why Ben Olsen is suspended when he clearly only has 4 yellows. Stop dodging the topic. Are you and Don Garber in cahoots?

Posted by: united_fan | July 20, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

-------perkins-------
------boz/vanney-----
McTavish--------Gros-
----Simms---Carroll--
Fred-----------DeRoux
-------Gomez---------
------Emilio---------

and play for the draw

Posted by: d, dc | July 20, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

obviously the league can't afford to have Ben "Hat Trick" Olsen play in this match vs NJ. They need to have a winner in the New York market so they are doing everything possible to make sure that happens. Just like all those DPs they have on their roster... :-)

Posted by: Glenn | July 20, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Can we sign Earnie Stewart for one game? :)

I still love to see how he was onsides in our playoff victory over the Metrostars several years ago...

Posted by: TCompton | July 20, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Burch is ready for 90 minutes, in the open cup game he was clearly gassed after 70, so my vote is
Perkins
Mctavish-Boswell.com-Vanney-Gros
Carroll
Mediate- Gomez - Fred
Emilio and Dyachenko

I also would not be surprised if we play more of a box midfield with Fred and Gomez attacking and Simms and Carroll sitting behind.

Posted by: dtd | July 20, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about Earnie's goal was that, despite having 3 camera angles, no one could definitively prove him offsides. There was an angle that showed him and the defenders, but not Nelsen hitting the pass; an angle with Nelsen and the right half of their defense, but no Earnie; and an angle from the corner showing Nelsen and Earnie, but no defenders.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 20, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

My Lineup-

Perkins

McT, Boz, Gros

Simms,B.Carroll

Burch, Gomez, Fred

Addlery, Dyachenko

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | July 20, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Carroll or Simms. Jeez, how about Charlie Brown and Lucy? These two aren't progressing very well for us, IMO.

I think we'll see DeRoux again. It's his turn in the Addlery, Dyachenko & DeRoux "who's developing best" rotation. After Addlery's header the other week I began hoping we'd soon finally have a player once again who was over 5' 10" and could head the ball in on corners a la Pope but he's got a ways to go on his game before he plays regularly for us.

Posted by: Kire | July 21, 2007 7:41 AM | Report abuse

This is a team that is poorly organized and poorly managed. There seems to be some talent on the attacking side of the ball but the defending has continued to regress since July. Gros at outside back is a liability and the slowest CB (Boswell & vanney) pairing in all of MLS can't cover many of the mistakes in front of them. Perkins is proving he's at best a backup in this league. The East looks like NE and then 3 or 4 teams that will be out in the first round of the playoffs. Houston, Dallas and Chivas are all better than any of the teams in the East with possible exception of NE. I knoiw the truth hurts but our team isn't very good this year and hasn't been since Ryam Nelson left.

Posted by: hank | July 21, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

>>>>>It was almost as unbelievable as Fred being onsides for his goal against FC Dallas!

If you rotate the monitor 90 degrees counter-clockwise, Fred was clearly onside.

As for lineup;

Addlery, Luciano

Fred Gomez Dyachenko

Practice cone

Larry, Moe, Curly, Boswell

Perkins (with a leash)

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Game day, c'mon Goff get up. Get down to the swamp.

Posted by: JSF | July 22, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse