Women's Team Unveiled

U.S. Coach Greg Ryan has named 18 of the 21 players who will head to China in September for the Women's World Cup. The final three slots will be announced in the coming weeks. The Americans will play friendlies against Norway this Saturday in East Hartford, Conn., Japan on July 28 in San Jose, New Zealand Aug. 12 in Chicago and Finland Aug. 25 in Carson, Calif.

The 18-player roster is below. For the full press release, click here.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Nicole Barnhart (Gilbertsville, Pa.), Briana Scurry (Dayton, Minn.), Hope Solo (Richland, Wash.);
DEFENDERS (5): Tina Ellertson (Vancouver, Wash.), Stephanie Lopez (Elk Grove, Calif.), Kate Markgraf (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.), Christie Rampone (Point Pleasant, N.J.), Cat Whitehill (Birmingham, Ala.);
MIDFIELDERS (6): Shannon Boxx (Redondo Beach, Calif.), Lori Chalupny (St. Louis, Mo.), Marci Jobson (St. Charles, Ill.), Carli Lloyd (Delran, N.J.), Leslie Osborne (Brookfield, Wis.), Aly Wagner (San Jose, Calif.);
FORWARDS (4): Kristine Lilly (Wilton, Conn.), Heather O'Reilly (East Brunswick, N.J.), Lindsay Tarpley (Kalamazoo, Mich.), Abby Wambach (Rochester, N.Y.).

By Steve Goff  |  July 11, 2007; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Search of DCU's Lineup
Next: Matchnight: USA-URU, MEX-ARG, DCU-HCI

Comments

Are all of the people on that list healthy? I know Heather O'Reilly had a little something during the last game?, but appeared to be minor enough that she would be able to recover in time. Who do you think will be the final three?

Posted by: sitruc | July 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted by: Sepp Blatter | July 11, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I'll be waking up at 4 am for -this- Asia-based World Cup...

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, no Twellman?

Posted by: Logan Circle | July 11, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Logan, you are two-for-two (coupled with your last post on the Galaxy benefiting from losing in the USOC).

Posted by: RK | July 11, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

O'Reilly is down with a minor shoulder injury. That shouldn't pose any real threat to her participation.

The one that worries me is Wagner, who hasn't been fit much this year. She's got a groin injury right now and hasn't seen much playing time since last year's Gold Cup.

Otherwise, no real surprises here.

Posted by: Ash | July 11, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on the WNT, Goff. I am trying to think of another successful example -- male or female -- of a flank midfielder who's aged to become a forward (instead of a defender) as Kristine Lilly has.

It's a curious evolution, but seems to be working just fine. Is she really just that fit, I wonder, or is there something about the style in which the women's game is played -- or the level of the competition -- that enables the US to do this? Maybe it's playing within a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-4-2.

Posted by: Amy W. | July 11, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to start a new organization called People for the Sexualization of Women's Sports. I've got a theme song and everything...just need someone that's a leader-type to set up our non-profit status etc.. Anyway if someone wants to do it, visit http://www.pkandjshow.com and we can get these U.S. Women in some hot-pants and belly-shirts.

Posted by: Paul | July 11, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wow, no Twellman?

Posted by: Logan Circle | July 11, 2007 12:49 PM

Post of the month!

Posted by: Hoost | July 11, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, our motto will be "let's get these babes into kits as tight as Twellman's"

Posted by: Paul | July 11, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"It's a curious evolution, but seems to be working just fine. Is [Lilly] really just that fit, I wonder, or is there something about the style in which the women's game is played -- or the level of the competition -- that enables the US to do this? Maybe it's playing within a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-4-2."

Perhaps they're just calling Lilly a forward and calling their formation a 4-3-3. If they called her a midfielder and called their formation a 4-4-2, would it really look that much different as a practical matter? There is an element of arbitrariness to all this.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 11, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Saturday's match vs. Norway is on ESPN2. Any word on whether the other warmup matches will be televised?

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 11, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think I'll be waking up at 4 am for -this- Asia-based World Cup..."

Five years ago I told myself that my VCR would do all the waking up for me, but I ended up watching all the USA matches in real time. I suspect something similar will happen this time.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 11, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"If they called her a midfielder and called their formation a 4-4-2, would it really look that much different as a practical matter?"

Haven't seen enough of them lately to know; as long as she's in the attack, you're right, it's probably irrelevant. I guess it just seems a little odd to see her listed as F after such a long career at MF.

They've clearly had a lot of success lately with 4-3-3, and it seems to suit current personnel, but as someone who struggles with the nuances of soccer formations I'm just curious how they may adapt over the course of the WWC.

Posted by: Amy W. | July 11, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Go Penn State:

The Japan match is not on TV, but will be streamed from ussoccer.com.

The two August matches - NZ and Finland - are on ESPN2.

Posted by: Ash | July 11, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Surprised Natasha Kai's not on this list yet... she's been a regular late game sub recently for them recently and is the only other forward who's as tough as Wambach.

If Abby get's injured or can't start for whatever reason, I'd rather have Kai starting up top with Lilly, than O'Reilly or Tarpley who can't really play with their back to the goal, nor put their heads on the ball the way Abby and Natasha can.

Posted by: swwj | July 11, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

So is Natasha Kai one of the 3 players to be added? & who would the other 2 be?

Posted by: m | July 11, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I too am a bit surprised that all 21 weren't named. The USWNT players are essentially in residence. It's not like they're off playing for clubs and the manager gets an occasional look at them. Maybe a few are injured or semi-fit and Ryan wants to see how they progress before naming the last 3.

Posted by: I-270, Exit 1 | July 11, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked that Natasha was not named. Hopefully, she'll be on of the 3 to be added later.

Posted by: RMig | July 12, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Once we get past this stage, who are people projecting for the starting 11? (Presumably they will come from this group of 18.) The choice between Scurry and Solo in goal seems especially intriguing.

Posted by: Go Penn State! | July 12, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse