A Conversation With Bobby Boswell

Soccer Insider: How are you doing?

Bobby Boswell: I'm just working hard. I feel like I should be out there and when the coaches feel they need me, I will be ready.

SI: Is it frustrating?

BB: Yeah, you want to play, but that's part of being a professional, it's part of the job, and you've got to keep working. I think I have done pretty well in practice. I'd like to think I will get an opportunity this weekend, but if not, I'll be ready to contribute when I am needed.

SI: Have you come to the realization of what you did wrong that resulted in this situation?

BB: I talked to Tommy and he expressed some concerns to me. He said he thought sometimes a good way to show people what they're doing wrong is to have them watch from his perspective and ......

(Our conversation was suddenly interrupted by water pouring from the ceiling in the RFK media room. No injuries reported.)

Wow, that was weird.....

The team has done well. I always say, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it,' but I'm not sure it was broken when I was taken out. I see myself as a starter, I don't see myself as a substitute, but right now that is the role I am playing. I will earn my spot back on the field.

SI: Have you asked to be traded?

BB: No. I have heard trade talks, but I am happy here in D.C.

SI: You've heard trade talks?

BB: Not from the team. Tommy told me not to listen to what you hear, they're not true. But I have heard them and I've expressed to the team that I don't want to move. I want to win a championship with D.C. United. I'm a guy who can help do that and be a vital piece. I want to play here, I want to contribute, and it starts with getting back on the field.

People are saying, 'They can't trade you because we don't have any other defenders,' but to me, I think it's funny how I went, in a short period, from, in my opinion, being a leader of the defense to people trying to express that I still have some value to the organization. That blows my mind. I guess what has been cool is seeing how people -- from coaches to players to fans to my family to people walking in and out of the stadium -- react to me now and how they treat me. It's a learning experience. It's true what they say when you are up, you've got a lot of friends, and when you are down, people show their true colors.

SI: But you went through this to an extent two years ago when Erpen arrived, right?

BB: Yeah, but back then I felt like I was making some pretty big goof-ups, whereas now it's more of a situation of, 'What did I do?' I think he's trying to send a message. I understand what he's doing, but I want to play. The longer I sit out, the more I want to be out there.

.....And a comment from Tom Soehn.....

"Bobby, at the time that we sat him, was not sharp. Everybody is held accountable on this roster, from top to bottom. The guys who train well are going to play. Bobby is still an important piece, as everybody else is, and I'm sure when Bobby gets his chance, he'll get himself back to where he needs to be."

By Steve Goff  |  August 29, 2007; 2:56 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes (updated)
Next: Zotinca Suspended 3 Games

Comments

I hope Bobby gets back to form, he was looking pretty good earlier in the season.

Oh, and First!

Posted by: gallegoscot | August 29, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

IMO Bobby deserves to be out there. I've never been a fan of coaches that play mind games, and it seems to me that is what Soehn is doing. It appears Bobby doesn't understand what the issue is, and that Soehn can't provide an answer. That is just poor coaching.

Posted by: Big Stickers | August 29, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

BB: "I guess what has been cool is seeing how people -- from coaches to players to fans to my family to people walking in and out of the stadium -- react to me now and how they treat me. It's a learning experience. It's true what they say when you are up, you've got a lot of friends, and when you are down, people show their true colors."

Yikes - I wonder who's been showing their "true colors" to Bobby. I hope none of his family members are treating him badly. Ideally, it shouldn't be anybody, but coaches and fans can be fickle by nature. Family shouldn't.

Posted by: SSMD | August 29, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I have nothing but love for BB. He's the cat's @ss!

Posted by: Beans | August 29, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

BOZ, we got your back. It's good to sit now and again. Rest, watch and learn.

Did Soehn say anything technical about Bobby, i.e positioning, rarely going forward?

Posted by: d | August 29, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"BB: I talked to Tommy and he expressed some concerns to me. He said he thought sometimes a good way to show people what they're doing wrong is to have them watch from his perspective"

DID Soehn show Bobby what he was doing wrong? Because if so, Soehn obviously didn't do a good job of it, so Soehn, as Big Stickers said above, is the one responsible for not doing his job, NOT Bobby.

Sorry for the semi-run-on sentence...

Posted by: Juan-John | August 29, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I bounce between thinking that Soehn is the worst coach in the history of soccer and thinking that he is the greatest coach DC has ever had. (I am prone to hyperbole).

I don't know how to evaluate this situation because I don't have enough information. I'm not at practice so I can't compare BB to the other defensive options. All I can see is how the team plays. It looks to me like the team has been doing well for a few games now and has given up very few goals. That is a good thing. Perhaps it could be doing better.

I enjoy Soehn's matter-of-fact assessments of games and performances. I think that mature players appreciate his calm frankness. But when one is managing, one must set clear expectations and goals. Those being managed must know where they fit into the greater picture and it is important to let them know when and how they deviate from the clear goals and expectations. It seems that Soehn isn't doing that.

Bummer.

Posted by: bribri | August 29, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see this as yet another reason to love United and MLS in general? Boswell doesn't want to leave the team or the area, and also isn't going to do anything or take this to the media more than Goff asking him directly about it forces him to? He wants to earn his way back on. A very good thing, and one that should be highlighted.

On a related note, anyone having trouble getting DC United to sell them playoff packages? I can't get them to call me back, at all.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 29, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. It seems weird to look at any of DC's struggles this season and lay much blame at Boswell's feet. I find it hard to believe.

We have a young, homegrown, quality defender who has become a fan favorite. I'm kind of annoyed to see Soehn playing these games with him. I hope it doesn't sour Boz to the team.

Posted by: jasonVA | August 29, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Water pours from the ceiling when he is apparently ready to mention the specific issues that have kept him out? I can't decide if that's more Kafka or Garcia Marquez.

SSMD, I'm assuming that since he terms the reactions of people as overall "cool," then the "true colors" must mean that people are supporting him. If "true colors" meant that he is being snubbed, then he would not call it "cool." I agree he didn't state it very elegantly, but that's what makes sense to me.

Posted by: gringo | August 29, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I like Boswell and greatly admire how he went from being a college player that MLS did not want to becoming last year's top defender. I hope to see him back in the lineup before the end of the season and to see him have a long, lucrative career in soccer, if not here, then in Europe.

Right now, Boz seems to be the victim of Soehn's drive for excellence. McTavish and Vanney are probably playing harder because they see Bobby on the bench. They know that if Boz gets in the game, he will play well enough to keep one of them sitting for a while, and they do not want to give him that chance.

Posted by: ho | August 29, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Off topic but interesting. From Thomas Boswells article today regarding the Nationals attendance average.

If goes to show that DC should have built a soccer stadium instead of a baseball stadium. It would have cost a whole hell of a lot less, wouldn't have the parking issues the Nats are gonna have (read the article.)

I say on record that if I ever win the mega milions lottery, I am going to build United a stadium myself.

Posted by: Steve-O | August 29, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Um, isn't the coach supposed to give you his perspective when you are watching game video and practicing and what kind of BS comment is that from Soehn. Coaching is supposed to be about improving players, not messing with them. Goff, if we rate the players in games, let rate the coach as well. Not impressed by Soehn, not impressed at all!

Posted by: crowbar | August 29, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like BB is being pretty mature about the situation which is great. He says Soehn told him a few things about why he was benched but he doesn't share them with the media which I think is fine. My guess is that with all of these very hard games coming up in the next couple of weeks that he will be back in the lineup. As much as I love McTavish I'd like to see BB get a chance to play with Vanney and see how that works out.

Posted by: Glenn | August 29, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"-- Ten teams now average 37,389 fans or more a game -- more than 50 percent above the Nats' humble 24,216. --

Wow, that is not much. I know the Nats are not too good at the moment, but still."

Yeah, the only time DCU went above 22k this year (minus Beckham) was when Chivas came to town. Be interesting to see what the attendance for the New England game is (it being on a Saturday, not mid-week like the Pink Cows game [which still had more than most other non-Beckham weekday games this season]...).

Posted by: Juan-John | August 29, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Tommy's having the choose between Boz and Vanney because they can't play together. As a duo they would be slow and slower so Tommy's forced the play the guy they are paying all the money to (Vanney) and not the minimum pay guy Boswell is. Boz is the odd man other and will continue to be the rest of the year unless they trade him. Btw, he won't be traded because they need depth at the CB position in case of injury to the starters.

Posted by: hank | August 29, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't think this has been a great season for Boz (nothing horrific, just not as solid as last season (or even his rookie years sans the OGs)). I think if Bobby gets back in form, the spot is his again.

I also think DCU would be silly to trade him for any other MLS defender. He is still young and has shown he can be a very solid person in the back. And there is that depth thing too, but mostly I still believe he has a lot to offer this team.

-dave

Posted by: gnat | August 29, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Bobby out on the field again. I just hope that
(my thought was suddenly interrupted by water coming down from my kitchen ceiling)
That was weird. I hope his confidence isn't gone. He shouldn't be afraid of RFK, the fans, or his abilities.

Posted by: sitruc | August 29, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Juan... The new england game is on a sunday and overlaps with the redskins home opener.

not expecting much of a crowd for that one... there are more than a few crossover fans.

Posted by: d, dc | August 29, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Hank touched on the contract issue: Vanney - high; Boswell - low. What exactly is Boswell's contract situation? Didn't he pass on a big raise because he didn't want to extend his MLS contract? How big a stretch is it to believe he's being punished for his (perceived) lack of cooperation?

Posted by: Oblivious | August 29, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

and it's the same time as the brazil - us game

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@Hank

That only makes sense if you think Vanney is going to be around next year. The way I see it, DC traded Erpen for him to shore up the defense for the rest of the season at the same price. Now that McTavish and Burch have shown up, it would make sense for the FO to let Vanney go at the end of the season, and avoid paying the $235K he'd make next year, and free up the $115K he's currently making for another player.

Of course, that would mean Boz would have to be rock solid next year. So Soehn is pushing him extra hard now, to bring him to the next level.

Mind games, maybe. But athletics is all mental, isn't it?

Posted by: DCBird | August 29, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Bozwell loves DC United and doesn't want to move, but he rejected a pay raise and contract extension at the beginning of the year. Hmmmm.

Posted by: MFF | August 29, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Oblivious | August 29, 2007 04:38 PM

The fact that he hasn't been given any tangible reason for the benching just causes his (and our) speculation. It could be the result of the contract negotiations, or his speaking out about ESPN's coverage of MLS post-Beckham, or due to his website, any number of reasons. I think what he was saying is that he doesn't think it was due to bad form, because at the time of his benching, his form wasn't bad. Seems to me that a coach should lay this out for the player. Although if it is indeed due to turning down a new contract, that would send a huge message to other players on the roster. I'm just not sure if it is a good messge or a bad one, but if I had to pick, I'd say bad....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

it would be more Garcia Marquez if the water had formed a line to Facundo Erpen's old locker suddnely veered to the left and then came to a boil in the late August Washington DC heat

Posted by: diego r. | August 29, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MFF | August 29, 2007 05:02 PM

I don't think these are mutually exclusive. I interpreted it as, of all the MLS teams, he would prefer to play for DCU. I also think it says that he prefers to keep his options open at the end of the 2008 season. He could well re-sign with DCU then (ala Brian Carroll) if that's the way things work out.

Posted by: Anna | August 29, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

A few things...

Boswell rejected MLS's contract extension that would have tripled his salary. He did that so he would have the freedom to leave after the 2008 season without having to worry about MLS turning down a potential offer from overseas.

Boswell is not being punished for rejecting a contract extension. That's just plain silly. It's not that complicated, folks; the coaches did not feel he was playing up to standard and decided to sit him down. In the meantime, the Vanney-McTavish-Namoff-Burch lineup has been responsible for allowing one goal (a PK) in the last five league games.

Vanney makes 235K this year, but is not guaranteed to earn that much next season. Given his age, he would very likely have to take a paycut to remain in the league. That's the way it works for most MLS players.

Posted by: Goff | August 29, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I look at this interview, and everything else that's been said, and see things much differently than most of the posts here. Glenn seems to have nailed it. A lot of you think that Soehn is playing some kind of mind game, and not explaining anything, when Boswell explicitly says Soehn told him what the problem was. It seems that Boswell might not think that the problem(s) merited being benched, but since when does a player that got benched agree 100% with his coach?

Soehn's comment is understandable, since generally you don't want to air your dirty laundry in public. This is a classic example of something staying within the locker room.

What do you guys want out of Soehn? If we win each remaining game 10-0 with the panache of Brazil 1970, will you guys still say we should have had 11? With our games in hand, we could find ourselves in first place overall. We score often, we concede very infrequently (check the standings; DCU has the 3rd lowest goals allowed). The team is fun to watch.

I'm not an apologist, but I feel like someone should stick up for the guy, since he's done a mostly good job and has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 29, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"...the Nats' humble 24,216. -- Wow, that is not much...If goes to show that DC should have built a soccer stadium instead of a baseball stadium...."

When is this really stupid, misleading argument going to die?

24216 avg x 81 games x $21 avg ticket = $41 million in ticket revenue for the Nationals

22358 avg x 15 reg season + 2 playoff + 3 other games x $20 avg ticket = $8.9 million in ticket revenue for DCU

Never mind the ancillary revenue coming from the 1.5 million more visits to see the Nationals play over DCU.

I understand that you resent the fact that the baseball team is getting a stadium while the soccer team may not even be able to stay in the District. But the dumbest person reading this can see the flaw in your "logic."

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | August 29, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

off topic, who are you rooting for tonight in SuperLiga? I'm going with Pachuca, mainly because I can't support LA. This way next year DC will have the opportunity to be the first US team to win, adding to our collection of "firsts".

Posted by: keithw | August 29, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions here. Boswell being benched because Vanney's salary is higher? Boswell being benched after half of a season because he didn't accept a contract extension months and months earlier?

Even with how ridiculous those comments are, the award for moronic poster(s) of the year on this blog go to anyone who mentioned Soehn playing "mind games" with Bobby. If that's truly the case, then why does Boswell say, "I talked to Tommy and he expressed some concerns to me." Just because Boswell doesn't explicitly list the reasons his coach gave him about his poor play doesn't mean they didn't talk about them.

Posted by: Todd H. | August 29, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there Bobby. We still love you and know you'll be back soon.

Posted by: p | August 29, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

There is an obvious tactical reason not to share Soehn's criticism with the community. Boswell mentions that he spoke with him about this, and there is no reason for that information to go to future opponents who read this.

Soehn has been a great long-term manager this year, lessening the highest concentration of hamstring injuries known to man. We began the year worried about our defense, and he's grown the team enough to be able to have serious depth in back. Our prospects up front haven't turned out as well as they could have, but I don't see that as a coaching deficiency. He hasn't been able to get a decent game out of Gomez either, but I blame Gomez more for that.

He's blown a few tactical things mid-game once or twice, but we've turned around our early-season slump better than anyone could have expected.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 29, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The line "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't go that far with me. I'm not convinced (or even worried) that Bobby going back in is going to undo the good thing we have going. Soehn's "deep bench" ought to be utilized, not left waiting for reserve games. Why does Bobby have to wait until someone plays poorly before he gets back in. What's not to say he won't do an even better job?

Posted by: Bobby Fan | August 29, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Goff, Chest and Todd to putting some sanity back into this comments section.

Posted by: DC | August 29, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Hooray Sanity! Soehn has done a pretty good job considering its his first season. This is starting to remind me of Bristol/10 other names guy who was looking for Soehn's head on Saturday. Boswell will pull through this and I'd venture to guess play, at least as a sub, on Saturday. That said, our backline is doing just fine without him, which I don't think says anything about his lack of skill but more about how well Burch and McTavish have developed this year, and considering how Burch bounced around before this year I'd be inclined to give the coaching staff some credit. As for the chopping block I still see Carroll going well before anyone on our backline... (which I'm sad to say considering how furious I was when I thought he was gonna end up in France back in December)

Posted by: Gburg | August 29, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who doesn't understand that competition for starting spots is not 'mind games' needs to watch more world football and less AYSO.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I think "sharpness" could also refer to the scoring chances BB was missing. He was getting his head on some things and not finishing them -- that focus could improve. I also recall some positioning issues and just a general haze that it would be good to clear.

Posted by: RB | August 29, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Is it a coincidence that Boswell got benched shortly after his comments about ESPN and its constant Beckham overkill? Call me a conspiracy theorist but with MLS you never know. Could be punishment for sounding off....

Posted by: Conspiracies abound | August 29, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I love Bobby Boswell. I'm sure his blood flows red and black. If he gets traded, then

FIRE SOEHN !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bristol | August 29, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Conspiracies abound | August 29, 2007 06:51 PM
__________________________________________

You must have a low opinion of Soehn's integrity. No self-respecting coach would brook interference with his lineup decisions by the team FO, let alone the league FO. Further, if it ever came to light that the league was tampering with coaching decisions in any way, MLS' credibility would sink to that of professional wrestling. Is the MLS FO so thin-skinned and petty that it would risk the future of the league over a matter so trivial as some remarks on one player's blog?

Posted by: Section 410 | August 29, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Mastodon Juan --

You get the @sclown moniker along with Lalas. I just said it was interesting, that is all.

If you want to get into the math about, we will be here all day. However, most of that money you are talking about is going to the baseball team, not the DC govt. For the money that is being spent on the baseball aspect, those crowds won't cut it. The whole thing is comparing apples and oranges. I just find it funny that after a couple years the baseball crowds are pathetic. Maybe if they were any good, they may draw more. I think we can all agree that DC got hosed on the whole baseball stadium.

On a side note, aren't you a Pink Cow fan? If so, you can talk to me when you all win some hardware. Until then, shut your friggin pie hole -- you @ssclown!!

and for the record -- I'm jokin' around here.

Posted by: Steve-O | August 29, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Mind games, maybe. But athletics is all mental, isn't it?

Posted by: DCBird | August 29, 2007 04:45 PM

I heard that "90% of the game is half mental."
Or sometning like that. Thanks Yogi!!

Posted by: marksman | August 29, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Bobby, if you are a Soccer Insider...know that the fans are behind you, buddy. Everyone who plays goes through this in their career...you'll be back on the field for the Black and Red in no time at all.

The Fans

Posted by: BigKahuna | August 29, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Steve-O, DC definitely did NOT get hosed on the whole stadium deal. Take a drive up 395 into the city and look to the left. See all those tower cranes? Those are all going to be high-rent office buildings a year from now, and major tax revenue for the city. And that's just the beginning. Of course you're right that it's comparing apples to oranges, but I hope the city realizes how much the baseball stadium has helped southeast DC and decides to build another stadium across the river :)

I don't know who has been saying what to Boswell, but he should know that the United fans are behind him all the way. Bobby Lightning will rise again.

Posted by: Shatz | August 29, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Shatz -- While I agree that the stadium MAY help the city to some degree, stadiums have yet to be proven as real economic engines.

see (among many others)

I drive into the city all the time and know what you are talking about. However, most of those high rent businesses that are going in have received HUGE tax breaks to build there. Just like the ones around the verizon center. The difference there is that Abe Pollin paid for most of that out of his own pocket. There won't be many tax dollars seen from those business for about 10 years or so.

All I'm saying is the city would have been better off getting a better deal for the baseball stadium, instead of just bending over and taking it for MLB. The district, to their credit, is trying to get the best deal for them in regards to a soccer stadium. They should have done that for baseball as well.

Posted by: Steve-O | August 29, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I hate Garcia Marquez, such a dirty player!... Oh wait...

Posted by: edgeonyou | August 30, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Call me crazy, but I think the score of the LA-Pachuca game could EASILY be 4-1 - in either team's favor. Great goalkeeping tonight and I'm impressed by the Galaxy's poise without Beckham. Donovan is the best player on the pitch tonight (despite his misplaced header early in the game).

Posted by: hoyanick | August 30, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

The way our line plays, with the two young guys, is they fly around all over the place making things happen, disrupting the other team's attack, and making a ton of mistakes. The mistakes aren't costing us because our guys are doing such a great job supporting the ball defensively that there is always another defender right there if someone screws up. Tommy is playing the guys who have bought into this style of play and are flying around, supporting the ball. Clyde, Bryan and Greg have been doing the best job at this so they are the ones that find themselves on the field at the start of each game. It isn't a question of making mistakes verses not making mistakes. Trust me, plenty of mistakes are being made. It is a case of making the defense worth more than the sum of it's parts and if you have a group on the field who have a set of priorities of supporting the midfield and each other first and formost in their minds, you have a much better chance of winning than if you have a person who thinks he belongs on the field as long as he doesn't "make any mistakes".

Winning is determined by how many positive things you can do for the team, not on just avoiding negatives. Soehn has a unit on the field that are committed to making things happen defensively, through their defensive support of the midfield and the ball. Bobby picked that attitude up last year from playing with Erpen (who can be pro-active to a fault) for the first part of last season then, as Erpen's form started to dip, he seemed to start to lose trust and slowly went back to the "don't make mistakes" attitude of his rookie year. He has shown that he can play like a champion in the first half of last year, and he will again. This is just one of those growth things that he needs to go through. He will be fine in the end. Hopefully it will be with DC United.

Posted by: Support | August 30, 2007 7:23 AM | Report abuse

C'mon guys - take your stadium debate over to Marc Fisher's blog...it's tired and boring. Geez.

Posted by: DE | August 30, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DE | August 30, 2007 08:37 AM
_________________________________________

I believe the guiding principle around here is that you are under no obligation to read or respond to anything that doesn't personally interest you. Similarly, the rest of us can decide for ourselves what is or is not tired and boring.

Posted by: Section 410 | August 30, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Goff Said: "It's not that complicated, folks; the coaches did not feel he was playing up to standard and decided to sit him down. In the meantime, the Vanney-McTavish-Namoff-Burch lineup has been responsible for allowing one goal (a PK) in the last five league games."

This is simply not true.

While I don't buy the conspiracy theories of Boswell is being benched b/c of his contract negotiations or ESPN comments, the whole "Boswell's form sucks" theory doesn't really hold up very strong with me either.

Goff, you mention the one goal in the last five league games and credit it to the Vanney-McTavish-Namoff-Burch line.

But in the first two games of that streak - at New England and LA at home - the lineup was Boswell-McTavish-Namoff-Burch.

If the whole theory is that the line up was great for league play, then Boswell was part of two shutouts and then got benched...

If you want to factor in the SuperLiga game in which no one really distinguished themselves during our 2-0 loss, the fact is both Boswell and Vanney started b/c Burch was out on accumulated Yellow Cards. Vanney came off first in the 46th minute for Gomez and Boswell came off in the 66th for Kpene...

If I'm Bobby Boswell, I'm wondering why I was benched too. Because the whole my recent play wasn't good enough arguement sure seems to be lacking...

Posted by: QuietSide | August 30, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I love Bobby. But something has been missing this year. He has not been the dominant presense he was last year.

Hopefully the break will do him good. He will be back, and soon. Anyone who thinks the back line has been playing great without Bobby is forgetting that Perkins made what, seven saves last week?

I like McTavish, but I think he is more naturally suited to the outside. I would like to see him and Namoff outside, and try Burch inside with Bobby.

I agree that Vanney and Bobby inside together would be too slow. In fact, that is one of Soehn's big problems. Realistically, Vanney and Bobby can only sub for each other, since they should not be in center together and Vanney does not really have the wheels any more to play outside.

Posted by: regular fan | August 30, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse