Chicago Salary News

Costa Rican forward Paulo Wanchope, who joined the Fire last week, is on scale to receive a base salary of $240,000 and guaranteed compensation of $267,500. Obviously, since it is midseason, he will not receive all of that for just a few months of work, but it gives you an idea of how much Chicago was willing to promise in order to finalize the deal. I do not know specifics of how severely a midseason signing impacts a club's salary cap.

Is he worth it?

By Steve Goff  |  August 7, 2007; 3:04 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes [updated with news-quotes]
Next: Mexico Mania

Comments

He was once.

Posted by: 1st Post | August 7, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I rather have 3 $80,000 defenders.

But thatÅ› just me.

Posted by: morphit | August 7, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

He is still on the green side of 30 isn't he?
I am really sad to see this move. I really liked Wanchope.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 7, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

He didn't do much of anything for Rosario Central - I hope he brings CR fans into the gates because I think he won't help Chicago score too many goals.

Posted by: Lost in BA | August 7, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Isn't the contract 3 years long? I think that's the problem...

Posted by: RK | August 7, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

absolutely. He's a stud. loved seeing all of the wanchope posters while I was in Costa Rica...

Posted by: jj | August 7, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

How on earth would we know already if he's worth it? He's played around 20 minutes for the Fire. Ask me again in 2010.

Posted by: Tom | August 7, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

This is why the Soccer Insider is so successful. Goffinho is always asking questions.

He may not like the answers he gets, but he gets answers.

Now, after that brief sideshow, we return you to your regularly scheduled Beckham main-ring media circus.

Posted by: G-Unit | August 7, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

He's 31 and overpaid.

Posted by: Andrew | August 7, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Someone would rather have 3 Prideaux's than one Wanchope? Really?

Posted by: Allen | August 7, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

If you've seen the Fire offense this year, you'd have to say he's worth a shot. They had an 8 game stretch where they scored a goal from the run of play in only one of those games.

He's only 31 and did happen to put 2 away in a World Cup game against the host country just a year ago. It's worth noting that he's younger than Juan Pablo Angel. Considering the Fire didn't use a DP, it seems like a good gamble to me.

I was there on Saturday and there was huge anticipation from the crowd as he warmed up and then later approached the scorer's table. He had an underwhelming opening 30 minutes, but I'm excited about what he can do.

He has been through a few teams lately but some of those sound like coach/player issues. He spent several years with JCO in England so they are very familiar with each other. In fact I'm guessing that Osorio specifically sought him out as soon as he took the job.

Posted by: Chris | August 7, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

He was a stud in the WC in '06. Very opportunistic. I imagine he'll see some pretty through balls from Blanco. I'd bet he's successful. Probably see better service and be more successful than Angel has been in NY, though I think Angel is the better player. Good move. but clearly, with Blanco and Wanchope, Chicago needs immediate success. If they don't go all the way in one of their next two tries (this season and next) that window will be firmly shut.

Posted by: Matt | August 7, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Wanchope is definitely worth the gamble. I thought DC should have made a play for him this past offseason (but Emilio has been an excellent new weapon).

As long as Chicago can afford him without having to cut established contributors to fit him under the salary cap, he's a good risk. He was pretty dangerous as recently as the World Cup.

Remember how toothless Chicago was when they came to RFK about 6 weeks ago? They relied on Chud Barrett and Calen Carr to create scoring chances and had almost no one to get them the ball.

Now they have Cuauhtemoc Blanco and Wanchope while Rolfe, Mapp and Armas (not an offensive threat but sets the tone with hard tackles) are coming back from injury. I expect Chicago to be the most improved team over the rest of the season.

Posted by: garbaggio | August 7, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm elated Wanchope is with the Fire.

Posted by: Fuego Fanatico | August 7, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

With the FIRE losing the waste of cap space named Bedrossian, I don't see how Wanchope would pose problems for their cap. With Armas' retirement pending [and ~$200k off the books], Wanchope shouldn't be a problem in 2008.

Additionally, since the Ralph allocation remains unused, there are still funds left in the kitty for the FIRE. In sum, they may yet overome the ineptitutde of Dave Sarachan, and put together an MLS-quality side.

Posted by: khan | August 9, 2007 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Trust me Wanchope is fun to watch. The Fire have a nice striker. I was hoping that the L.A. Galaxy would sign him and he would play along Beckham. From what i was told he is finally completely healthy.

Chicago is very fortunate to have him.
He feels he has something to prove, If they get into the playoffs, watch out.

Posted by: javier | August 21, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse