Emilio, Olsen Out

Just when you thought United was healthy.....

MLS leading scorer Luciano Emilio, who strained his hamstring Wednesday, and Ben Olsen, still bothered by ankle prolems, did not travel with the club to Toronto today and will not play tomorrow night. Neither injury is considered serious and both are likely to be available next weekend at Dallas. More details in Saturday's print edition and on washingtonpost.com late this evening.

So with two key players suddenly out (and Josh Gros sidelined because of a concussion), how will Soehn set his lineup?

Rod Dyachenko is a prime candidate to start in some capacity. At last check, he had been cleared to enter Canada after being rejected earlier in the season. Rod's citizenship is very complicated and he does not hold a passport for any of the several countries in which he has lived. Apparently, he is okay for this trip, but I'll believe it when I see him in uniform at BMO Field tomorrow.

By Steve Goff  |  August 24, 2007; 12:44 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hello, Capello [updated]
Next: Sesay to L.A.

Comments

As long as we have Fred & Jamie and our defense doesn't let us down we should still win.

Posted by: Roy Stevens | August 24, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

How about a Post article on our stateless midfielder/forward Rod Dyachenko? There are many former US Consular officers living in the DC area who will flood the paper with Letters to the Editor proposing solutions. (As a former diplomat, I can tell you that when consular officers get together the only topic of conversation is seemingly insoluble citizenship cases which they resolved through brilliance and pluck.)

Posted by: TCAL | August 24, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Back to the 3-5-2 for one match. Kpene-Jaime up top, Fred-Gomez-Simms-Moose-Mediate dominate the middle. Burch-Boz-Namoff. We win 4-1.

Posted by: grotus | August 24, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, no Benny or Emilio. Wasn't this to be expected? Against an impotent TFC I'd also give Troy the match off to gear up for a difficult stretch over the next 2 weeks. Here's what I'd run out at TFC

-------Nolly-------
Namoff-Boz-McT-Burch
Moose--Simms--Fred
-------Gomez-------
----Kpene-Rod------

Bring Jaime on for Dyachenko late in the match if needed. Our bench is looking pretty sparse for this one. Perkins, Jaime, Vanney, Mediate, Addlery, DeRoux, perhaps Mupier instead of Addlery.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 24, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I completely forgot about Carrol. Looks like the gentleman above me did as well...

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 24, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Nolly is that nervous twitch in my eye.

Posted by: Chico | August 24, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Seeing how the Dyachenko have played out this season, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him at all at Toronto.

Not for the reason you think. But rather by the chance he'll likely be detained at a Canadian airport for being on a no-fly list and marked as a possible terrorist.

Posted by: James | August 24, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

*the Dyachenko escapades

Posted by: James | August 24, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

We've lost to LA and Salt Lake, not to mention Harrisburg. I really hope we take this one seriously...

Posted by: therealfan | August 24, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

exactly, we have to take this game seriously instead of playing down to our competition. Please, goddess, not Nolly! It's not like Troy is running around for 90 minutes, he'll be fine however many games there are coming up.

What's up with all the hamstring injuries this year? It seems rather odd to me that we have had so many on this team, way more than in past years. Is it a conditioning thing?

Posted by: Glenn | August 24, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

My vote is to put Carroll in ahead of Moose, other than that I like Alex's.

Isn't it good though that we are finally finding a ton of depth.

Keepers (and I'm a former one) don't need days off.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | August 24, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Thank God Emilio will only be out for a game against TFC. The parallels between the USMNT and DCU are obvious. The 4-6-0 lineup with no serious goal scoring threat is disheartening, but something we've known could happen for a long, long time. Maybe the penalty-record-breaker has removed a mental block from Moreno, and he'll score from somewhere besides the spot.

Posted by: LeesburgSoccerFan | August 24, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If benny's not going to be an 'every day' He needs to have his salary cut going into next season.

Posted by: tex | August 24, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

This will be a good test of depth and character, I say throw Nolly in the mix. Addlery (former player of the week honors) and what happened to Deroux? These guys have something to prove, Rod if not detained, defense and midfield still have depth

Posted by: Huey | August 24, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

What about moving Burch up to left midfield? He's been strong both defensively and making overlapping runs...so he can just do it in the midfield instead.

Nolly
Namoff-Boz-Vanney-McT
Fred-Simms-Gomez-Burch
Moreno-Kpene

Posted by: DE | August 24, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

This will be the game where addlery really shines!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 24, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

-------- Perkins --------

--Namoff--Boz--Vanney--Burch

---Mediate---Simms---Fred---

----------- Gomez ------------

----- Moreno --- Dyachenko --

Carroll for Gomez at 75th min. Kpene for Moreno 85th minute. United wins 2-1 on Gomez free kick, Dyachenko header.

I also predict it will be hot tommorrow. But just a guess.

Posted by: Joe Doc | August 24, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

DE, congrats, you are correct

Posted by: jay | August 24, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Playing on FieldTurf I'd rather see Kpene start and use his speed to our advantage.

Posted by: Chico | August 24, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

So, let me get this straight:
Dyachenko possibly can't get into the country to play a game this weekend against FC Toronto, but DC United traded a 1st round SuperDraft pick to get him back after Toronto took him in the expansion draft? Wouldn't he have been relatively worthless if he couldn't enter the country?

Please keep Nolly out of the nets. Possibly forever.

Perkins

Posted by: TCAL | August 24, 2007 01:11 PM

Posted by: JkR | August 24, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Moreno--Dyachenko (Kpene)
Moose--Simms-Gomez--Fred
Burch--Boswell--McTavish--Namoff
Perkins

Dyachenko v Kpene. Different players, but with Moreno's ability to hold the ball up top, and Dyachenko's size against a tight, physical group of defenders is a better early match up. If we have a lead into the 2nd half, Kpene subs in for whomever up top.

Posted by: d | August 24, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I second the motion for an article about Rod's statelessness

Posted by: Yes | August 24, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

SG,

What's up with calling it "BMO Field"? I certainly hope your next by-line will be from "Estadio BMO"!! Great reporting on the Galaxy v. Chivas match as well. Viva La Soccer Insider!

Posted by: BaltoFan | August 24, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Stade d'BMO would be more appropriate.

Posted by: grotus | August 24, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

What about Mupier? Guy scored two in the reserve match-- does that get him a look at least as a late sub?

Posted by: -K | August 24, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't that be "Campo BMO"?

Posted by: DE | August 24, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Chico, good point about Kpene's speed. The way the ball bounces around on that turf you might just get the opportunistic goal. Might be interesting to use Deroux at some point for the same reason. Heck, maybe even Simms. Central back, I'm still not sold on Vanney. I've put Boz back in the mix.

Perk
Namoff Boz McT Burch
Moose Simms Gomez Fred
Moreno Kpene

Posted by: Matt | August 24, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

you need vanney, b/c he has very good distribution skills, and you stick with the 4-4-2 because that allows burch to attack.

Posted by: DCAustinite | August 24, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Rumor is that Rod's getting in the Great White North in the trunk of one of roadtripping Supporter's Groups.

Posted by: Kim | August 24, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Toronto is the worst team in the east. DCU are the best team in the east. They should be able to send a middlin squad out there and compete.

Long term, the rest will help the team and develop the bench a little more.

I'd look to push a defender (Namoof) to right mid and get boswell back in there. Maybe with mctavish on the right in place of BN or pushed up to right mid.

Subs - carrol for simms, dyachenko for kpene or gomez and addlery for gomez or moreno.

Nolly (why not. he can't lose them all)
McT Boz V Burch
Namoff Sims Gomez Fred
Jaime Kpene

Posted by: Looking Dangerous | August 24, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

We'll have a tough time scoring with Emilio out, but that means that the worst case scenario here will be a scoreless draw, because our defense is playing the best they have all year. I'm thinking 2-0, with Kpene scoring his first MLS goal and Fred adding another late. I'd like to see Moose back in the starting lineup for a game since Olsen is out.

Vanney is looking like the best of our three center backs right now. But I'm thinking Boswell in for McTavish in this match to give him a breather.

Posted by: Shatz | August 24, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I say we take it seriously and use this match to work on defense. Start out with Kepene and Rod up front, Gomez, Simms, Moose, Fred in the middle, and put Boz back in with McTavish, Burch, and Vanney. I agree with the guys who have this line-up. Concentrate on Defense for this match and we might not miss Ben in the middle as much. If offense lags we put Moreno in and hope for a PK, or add Addlery and Moreno and move Rod back to midfield. Seriously, a 1-0 result would be perfectly ok. I think solidifying the options in the back and getting a little fire under Boz to step up his game would be great. If he is on the field with Vanney, Burch, and McTavish he might be a motivated to shine in contrast.

Posted by: T. Henry | August 24, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Herr Goff,

Any update on the MLS lottery for that under-17 forward (wasn't that supposed to be this afternoon)?

Great job on the blog as always@

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | August 24, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Some of these line-ups are a disaster waiting to happen. Pairing Moreno and Dyachenko up top is a horrid idea as they basically play the same kind of game, and honestly, my suggesting Nolly over Perkins was "just a bit" tongue-in-cheek. I'd put our 3rd string keeper in before Nolly.

Switching Burch to midfield is definitely the wrong move at this stage of the season, Namoff and/or Carrol on the wing? You're kidding right?

I had Moose on the wing originally, but Mediate has played quite well lately, and Moose might not be ready to go 90 just yet.

---------Perkins----------
Namoff--Boz--Vanney--Burch
Mediate---Simms-------Fred
----------Gomez-----------
------Rod-----------------
------------Kpene---------

I have Boz and Vanney, because I think they're the #1-#2 CB's on the depth chart, and we need to have them develop some chemistry.

If we're up more than 1 by the 60th, Carrol for Gomez. If we need to score, Moreno for Rod, then Addlery for Kpene. Moose for Mediate in the 75th regardless of score (unless injury/fatigue forces a different sub.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 24, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Rick,
LA won the lottery from what I hear.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 24, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Just to clarify a few things: Moreno, Rod, and Fred are withdrawn-forwards, not strikers. Emilio, Kpene, and Addlery are strikers.

You don't pair up 2 withdrawn-forwards, as you won't have anyone for them to provide service to.

You can throw 2 strikers up top as long as they receive adequate service.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 24, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

jg,

thanks for the update. I am absolutely shocked LA won the lottery :)

Posted by: Rick in Ashburn | August 24, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I would be surprised if LA kept it. They need help NOW, not three years from now.
LA will trade him for some defense would be my guess.

Posted by: jgildea8 | August 24, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

AlecW81-

I disagree with your analysis of Dyachenko as a forward. When he's played up top with anyone except Emilio, he pushes up high and tries to lead the line. He fights for headers and attempts to hold the ball up. I think he can actually play as both the target and running off of a target. His problem in my eyes isn't incompatibility, it's inconsistency.

All that said, I think Chico's point about Kpene's speed on the turf is a valid one. The reason I would shy away from starting Moreno and Dyachenko in this game would be that they just aren't very fast.

A lot of people want to juggle the entire lineup because 2 players are out, but I think that's quite rash. Mediate or Moose will come in for Olsen, and I'd like Kpene in for Emilio.

I will say, though, that Soehn should at least be considering Boswell due to the likelihood of Danny Dichio playing significant minutes for the first time in awhile. McTavish and Vanney have been good in the past couple games, but it has helped that they haven't faced 90 minutes against a truly imposing physical presence. Altidore was all but wasted by NY, since they essentially gave up trying to win at the hour mark. I still think the best way to deal with him (or Lombardo, who plays a similar game) is to cut off service, but you still have to be ready for them to hit crosses in.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | August 24, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

the problem with Rod up top is that he stands offside all the time. Olsen was screaming at him about that on Wednesday night. He's a good player but he needs to smarten up.

Posted by: Glenn | August 24, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

People keep throwing Moose in their lineups. Is he even fit, much less healthy yet?

Posted by: DCBird | August 24, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Moose has played since his surgery, but I don't think he's fit to start.

Posted by: AlecW81 | August 24, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

---------- Perkins -------
- Namoff - Vanney - McT
----- Simms - Carroll ----
- DeRoux - Gomez - Fred --
------ BURCH - Boz -------

That's right, Burch and Boswell up top. Or would that not be taking it seriously? I still think they'd each score 2 a piece.

Posted by: Sean G | August 24, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Actually, would like to see Burch up top, why not? Was a forward in college.

Posted by: -K | August 24, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

We have several guys who can start at forward right now. We only have one guy who truly shines at left back. Burch as a forward at this point is not a good idea.

Posted by: Shatz | August 25, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse